28-August-2020; Good Question

Discuss the comic here!
Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: 28-August-2020; Good Question

Post by Generic » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:31 pm

Gurkenglas wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:28 pm Put my money on "The angel is lying - she just wants him to think hard about the question."
Whatever the solution is we know it involves his mustache. And floating. And him surviving.
I think being defiant and yelling Senor (whatever that word is,tendons in swedish) Vorpal Kickasso is pretty established in Fumbles character.

I think letting the angel lie is a bad idea. Saw/Cube like horror rooms are tense, but they need clearly laid out rules to be so. Else they're just a chaotic obstacle.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:23 am

We know he puts on his mustache before returning. But it's entirely consistent with him deciding his name is Senor* Vorpal Kickasso, being told that's correct, putting on his mustache in triumph, and then coming back to tell the others that Fumbles doesn't apply anymore.

*It's Spanish for mister/sir.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:14 am

One more clue we have is that Kickasso levelled up and so did Complains, so it shouldn't be as easy as saying the right answer and leaving... (also that would be very anti climatic story).

I also don't think Kickasso would defy the angel, I think he played by the rules all the way (unlike Complains).

My guess is that failing to answer would result a death, followed by a resurrection by the angel, and a 2nd question,...
and maybe after few times it happens she will say something like "this is your last chance, I'm not going to resurrect you again!" and then he will finally get it right.

ps. I find I use the name Kickasso even though I feel like writing "Fumbles" and its *only* because he asked nicely not to use that name anymore... as if I would hurt his feelings if he read this post :lol:

As for Complains, I'm guessing that after failing a bunch of questions he got tired of dying and attempted to kill the angel, failing miserably but not before getting a part of her horn. I think the angel would find it "cute" that he thought he could do it. Still he had to answer correctly to leave the place.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:14 am

I'm thinking that origami figure is going to come in handy next page, as the angel uses it to explain something to Fu- Vorpal.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:11 am

WearsHats wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:23 am We know he puts on his mustache before returning. But it's entirely consistent with him deciding his name is Senor* Vorpal Kickasso, being told that's correct, putting on his mustache in triumph, and then coming back to tell the others that Fumbles doesn't apply anymore.

Señor is mister. Senor is something else. N and ñ is not even the same letter. Nor are they pronounced the same. It's totally right for Fumbles' approximation of "a dwarf or something", but it's not a spanish word I know.
http://www.spanishpronto.com/spanishpro ... habet.html

It's an important distinction I think. I always have him scream a horrible misspronounced mess, and that is how it's always been for me. I have no real clue how he says it however. How a north american influenced goblin say "senor" is beyond me.

It's just like his mustache that for a long time in no way resembled any real facial hair.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:20 pm

Glemp wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:14 am I'm thinking that origami figure is going to come in handy next page, as the angel uses it to explain something to Fu- Vorpal.
You know you messed up when an angel uses your character sheet for origami.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Generic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:11 am
WearsHats wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:23 am We know he puts on his mustache before returning. But it's entirely consistent with him deciding his name is Senor* Vorpal Kickasso, being told that's correct, putting on his mustache in triumph, and then coming back to tell the others that Fumbles doesn't apply anymore.

Señor is mister. Senor is something else. N and ñ is not even the same letter. Nor are they pronounced the same. It's totally right for Fumbles' approximation of "a dwarf or something", but it's not a spanish word I know.
http://www.spanishpronto.com/spanishpro ... habet.html

It's an important distinction I think. I always have him scream a horrible misspronounced mess, and that is how it's always been for me. I have no real clue how he says it however. How a north american influenced goblin say "senor" is beyond me.

It's just like his mustache that for a long time in no way resembled any real facial hair.
I mean, I think "senor" is just a product of not having an ñ readily available on a North American English keyboard?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:08 pm

RocketScientist wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:38 pm I mean, I think "senor" is just a product of not having an ñ readily available on a North American English keyboard?
That's always been my assumption. Backed by the fact that I've heard Elli, Danielle, and Matt King (the voice actor spearheading the animated series who plays SVK) all pronounce it that way. But I suppose your head canon is your head canon.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:54 am

This on-screen keyboard has it accessible, my Station keyboards have the "tilde" ~ and the "n", which pressed consecutively also result in ñ...
But then I'm using Swiss keyboard layouts (CH-DE), which have all the French "accents" and German "Umlaute" available this way...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:26 am

Krulle wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:54 am This on-screen keyboard has it accessible, my Station keyboards have the "tilde" ~ and the "n", which pressed consecutively also result in ñ...
But then I'm using Swiss keyboard layouts (CH-DE), which have all the French "accents" and German "Umlaute" available this way...
With a swedish keyboard I press "alt gr"+tilde followed by a n for ñ. It also produces õ, ã and such. We don't use it though, unless for foreign words. I have never had the reason to use ~ on any us(can't recall using any Canadian) keyboard I've been on. I refuse to think it's hard to make however. As it's used in some programing languages. It's the operator for bitwise not in C for example. I would actually think it's easier to make as north american keyboards don't have three keys set aside for å ä and ö.

It's a letter of one of the largest languages in the world for crying out loud. It's not like ñ is an obscure thing. Hence I was totally sure up until now that it was intentional.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:38 pm

OK, until now I didn't have the foggiest clue how to type ñ on my keyboard (in my previous post, I copy/pasted). It's alt + 164 at least for Windows 10 US. But I doubt most people in the US (not sure about Canada) know that, and I suspect there are a lot of fonts that don't support it. Anyway, I have literally never needed to type ñ until now, and I'm probably going to forget how to do it. :shrug:

edit: I forgot to say it's alt + 165 to make an Ñ capitalized.
Last edited by RocketScientist on Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add information

AnonySimon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by AnonySimon » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:03 am

RocketScientist wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:38 pm OK, until now I didn't have the foggiest clue how to type ñ on my keyboard (in my previous post, I copy/pasted). It's alt + 164 at least for Windows 10 US. But I doubt most people in the US (not sure about Canada) know that, and I suspect there are a lot of fonts that don't support it. Anyway, I have literally never needed to type ñ until now, and I'm probably going to forget how to do it. :shrug:

It should also be noted that atleast on US Windows 7 computers (not sure about 8 or 10), that just pressing alt + 164 or 165 isn't enough, the number have to explicitly be typed on the keypad; you cannot use the numbers that run across the top of the keyboard. This is an important distinction, because, I almost never use the keypad while typing because I keep my hands in the 'F' and 'J' positions on the keyboard, which allow me to type without ever looking down.

I do have to say that I miss the keyboard setups of computers down in Brasil, because that made access to each of these letters so much easier.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:00 am

I am baffled it's the standard of a country with 41 million spanish speakers.
The alt keypad is in use here as well. I mainly use it for insanity like ╬.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:02 am

Oh, the <alt+...> combinations we Germans know too. I've been learning computer typing on a Dutch keyboard, but had to write German.
So I knew all the special letters in my head.
Most I still know, ASCII codes...

The swiss keyboards also have the <alt gr> available, you can use it as described by Generic, but it works directly too. The <alt gr> is necessary for the French letters on a Swiss German keyboard (and vice versa), if you don't go via the <alt + xyz> combination.

You can always go the hard way and use the Windows Character map and copy-paste the letters you need.
AnonySimon wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:03 am I almost never use the keypad while typing because I keep my hands in the 'F' and 'J' positions on the keyboard, which allow me to type without ever looking down.
Similar for me, but I seldom use the numbers "above", my right hand flies over to the numpad and throws the digits there, then my right pointer digit searches for the mark of the J key again.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm

Generic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:20 pm
Glemp wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:14 am I'm thinking that origami figure is going to come in handy next page, as the angel uses it to explain something to Fu- Vorpal.
I don't see her making an origami figure, I see her partly flipping the page to read what it says on the page below it.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:10 pm

AnonySimon wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:03 am
RocketScientist wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:38 pm OK, until now I didn't have the foggiest clue how to type ñ on my keyboard (in my previous post, I copy/pasted). It's alt + 164 at least for Windows 10 US. But I doubt most people in the US (not sure about Canada) know that, and I suspect there are a lot of fonts that don't support it. Anyway, I have literally never needed to type ñ until now, and I'm probably going to forget how to do it. :shrug:

It should also be noted that atleast on US Windows 7 computers (not sure about 8 or 10), that just pressing alt + 164 or 165 isn't enough, the number have to explicitly be typed on the keypad; you cannot use the numbers that run across the top of the keyboard. This is an important distinction, because, I almost never use the keypad while typing because I keep my hands in the 'F' and 'J' positions on the keyboard, which allow me to type without ever looking down.

I do have to say that I miss the keyboard setups of computers down in Brasil, because that made access to each of these letters so much easier.
Looks like it's the same for Windows 10. Sorry I didn't mention it. I never use the top row numbers, so it didn't occur to me.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:15 pm

Arrow wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm
Generic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:20 pm
I don't see her making an origami figure, I see her partly flipping the page to read what it says on the page below it.
It would be a fun twist. But I saw/see the same.

Aserik
Remains Silent

Post by Aserik » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:36 am

I didn't see anyone else mention it, so I'm wondering if I'm the only one who bookmarked Vorpal in "foreshadowing overload." Vorpal said

Shesawbut
Misunderstood
Thenameisnot
Right

I wonder if this is one prophecy or two, but if the Angel is the "she" in the quote, then it probably references this, right? He also said thelevelsaregainedoutsideoftime, which has to reference this.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:50 am

Good catch, Aserik!

The link for those interested:
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21 wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Krulle on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm

Interesting. I've always assumed the "she" was Y&B.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:51 pm

I am quite certain that Vorpal is going to get the wrong answer. Then he is going to use his mustache to keep from falling into the pit. Complains is going to get the wrong answer and use acrobatics to keep from falling into the pit.

The test is not to see if they know the correct answers. The test is to see if they will meekly accept their fate or fight to be the goblin they want to be.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:16 pm

Krulle wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:48 am
Generic wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:00 am A background story is a character sheet now?
Good point. But it's all we have.

But you're right.

What is in Fumbles'/Vorpal's case the difference between the person(player) and the person(character).
Both inhibit the same space within the game world.
They are NPC's. No player.

It would seem that the character sheet she is looking at is not the same as the one published years ago.