August 16, 2020 - What Happened to Us

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

August 16, 2020 - What Happened to Us

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:46 pm

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-13-2020

So I guess they are all going to have to go through it. interesting.

Inspired
Game Master

Re: August 16, 2020 - What Happened to Us

Post by Inspired » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:36 am

► Show Spoiler
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:03 am

When the previous comic had the two vanished goblins return and talk about "her", I instantly braced myself for a clumsy fanfiction-style self-insert by the recently transgendered author of this comic. Fortunately that isn't what happened.

The choice to say that "any mortal who looks on a god disintegrates" annoys me slightly as an artistic choice, but it's far from unprecedented. I do really like the idea that angels can be associated with different mortal races (in the D&D sense of the term), and that they look like what the corresponding species looks like "if untainted by mortality". That's a really cool concept which I will probably steal for my own campaigns and such.

HexenWolf
Remains Silent

Post by HexenWolf » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:05 pm

If this being is an angel, wouldn't Complains being part demon create a problem? Also, I do not trust this creature... not even a little.

brnforce
Speaks Quietly

Post by brnforce » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:23 pm

I am excited to see how Complains ended up with the tip of one of her horns lol.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:02 am

Is angel supposed to appear from nowhere, or was it behind him from the beginning?
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:40 am

The very first goblins to ever appear in this comic were using spears, but I can't see what was wrong about their technique.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:30 am

redfeather wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:03 am When the previous comic had the two vanished goblins return and talk about "her", I instantly braced myself for a clumsy fanfiction-style self-insert by the recently transgendered author of this comic. Fortunately that isn't what happened.
You mean the self-insert or it being clumsy fanfiction-style? :D

It could still be one, but the word is she doesn't like them too much, even when we, the public made them. Though she has warmed up to the realmname, since it no longer is hers, but was his...

Kinda got me to think though, the "tainted by mortality", as to how far reproduction is a "necessary evil" from being mortal...

Thinking about the Christian depictions of angels being firey wheels full of eyes and wings... How far would an otherworldy agent of cultural postulation have reproductive elements in their form...

Our gobgel here at least has the chest-area, so... Dunno.
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

AceJayce
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by AceJayce » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:49 am

Noticed two details on this page:
1) there are 2 bone levers behing the angel, the one at her right is white, at her her left is a reddish hue
2) the angel got ornaments (sp?) - rings and bacelets, only on her left side

Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Lightning Lance » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 am

jbrecken wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:40 am The very first goblins to ever appear in this comic were using spears, but I can't see what was wrong about their technique.
That's what I was thinking too. Seems like the author poking fun at her past self.
I guess because they were holding them too far up the shaft?

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:29 am

I noticed the page background is white instead of the oozy, decayed background that we've had since the Axe broke.

Is the background late? Did Elli decide it's not worth including any more? Or does its lack represent that the Goblins are in a different, non-decaying dimension once they touch the clocks?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:39 am

I like how "she" leans over the rock to lean towards Fu,bles/Vorpal.
I like that posture.

For the rest? I'll have to wait for more explanations.
ForgetsKeys wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:29 am I noticed the page background is white instead of the oozy, decayed background that we've had since the Axe broke.

Is the background late? Did Elli decide it's not worth including any more? Or does its lack represent that the Goblins are in a different, non-decaying dimension once they touch the clocks?
I presume that's because it's not the realm the GAP and company live in, but a lower level of heaven...
I also noticed Vorpal assumes the Goblin God Maglubiyet is male. Funnily enough, with that name, I assumed Maglubiyet would likely be female...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:08 pm

AceJayce wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:49 am Noticed two details on this page:
1) there are 2 bone levers behing the angel, the one at her right is white, at her her left is a reddish hue
2) the angel got ornaments (sp?) - rings and bacelets, only on her left side
I didn't notice that they were levers at first. White sends them to heaven, red to hell? Or does it have something to do with the "test" the goblins have to go through?

Also, others noticed that Vorpal's scars turned white once he came back, indicating that he was gone for a long time . . . but his scars are already white on this page. I don't know what the significance of that is.

Crimson
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Crimsonak

Post by Crimson » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:03 pm

jbrecken wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:40 am The very first goblins to ever appear in this comic were using spears, but I can't see what was wrong about their technique.
Well, in early comic pages we see the Goblins very rarely if ever use shields in conjunction with their spears, and almost always use underhand grip. This doesn't necessarily mean there's "something wrong with the way they use them" but it does mean to say there's a lot of debate in the spear world about proper use.

You can see so, here (1) here (2), and here (3). This is only a few of the myriad of discussions on the topic. The point is that we currently don't know the correct answer, but the Goblin God seems to. Which would imply that the Goblin God prefers overhand (with shield), or some other unforseen variable that we all miss.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Or just that he's a perfectionist who sees something wrong with your technique no matter what you do and will grumble endlessly about how everyone keeps doing it wrong.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:45 pm

WearsHats wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:20 pm Or just that he's a perfectionist who sees something wrong with your technique no matter what you do and will grumble endlessly about how everyone keeps doing it wrong.
Ohhhh crap.
Maglubiyet is/are the viewers and the internet, aren't they?

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:58 pm

They used a similar concept in "Dogma". There, God wasn't allowed to talk where mortals could hear her. Went through several Adams before they figured that out.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:44 pm

rwstyles wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:58 pm They used a similar concept in "Dogma". There, God wasn't allowed to talk where mortals could hear her. Went through several Adams before they figured that out.
I am pretty sure Dogma lifted that from somewhere else.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:24 am

speakslittle wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:45 pm
WearsHats wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:20 pm Or just that he's a perfectionist who sees something wrong with your technique no matter what you do and will grumble endlessly about how everyone keeps doing it wrong.
Ohhhh crap.
Maglubiyet is/are the viewers and the internet, aren't they?
No, he's the god of goblins, not trolls.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Unfortunately, the actual page when Chief used a spear wrong seems to be broken.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:56 pm

Loads fine for me.
Bt that's not a spear, but a pointy stick.

Crimson
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Crimsonak

Post by Crimson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:01 am

Krulle wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:56 pm Loads fine for me.
Bt that's not a spear, but a pointy stick.
Isn't a spear a pointy stick?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:25 am

To a degree, but a pointy stick is used differently than a spear.