July 22nd 2020: "I mean... what happened(inside the clocks) might be important"

Discuss the comic here!
hirou
Remains Silent

July 22nd 2020: How well he knows himself

Post by hirou » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:51 pm

New comic is up. Sooo... are they getting a character sheet quiz?

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-11-2020

Edit: tying up the themes of clocks, character sheets and epic entrances... Is it possible that these gnome eggs force you to recount your experience and then remodel your character according to what you remember? It means reliving traumatic experience, which explains Sn.Vorpal sad mood upon his return

Nina
Whispers Softly

Re: July 22nd 2020: How well he knows himself

Post by Nina » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:29 pm

So this is like the game "Munchkin".

"Rewrite your character sheet. Go up a level."

;-D

It is important that your character sheet is tidy, and well organized.

Hugs, Nina!

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:53 pm

He cleaned up his soot upon return as well. He has a horn he might have pried from something big, and Chiefs blood marking is back.

He looks pumped.

I am not really feeling it unless we get to see the reason he is reacting like that, sadly.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

TheOldWays
Remains Silent

Post by TheOldWays » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 pm

Interesting. He looks like he's been fighting for at least 3 rounds, since his swords shows 3 tumbles indicators and is temporarily a +3. He's also still in fighting mode (cue dilated pupils) and has just torn a horn off one of his "examiners". Maybe he's been subjected to a test of strength in some hellish dimension, which might indicate that Fumbles was subjected to a test of wisdom?

He's also most likely gained a level or progressed his demon transformation further. I wonder if all goblins will choose to undergo the test too for the benefits.

Waiting for the next!

Shiratzu
Remains Silent

Post by Shiratzu » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:43 pm

He's been in a fight, considering the tumbleblade has +3 on it. The horn is interesting, but the mark over his eye matches the one he got from Chief, which means he may have finally decided to take his place as the new chief.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:35 am

Is it just me, or do the clock thingies seem to be hanging higher than they started off? As if they went a little up every time someone touched them.

(Which means if the others want to risk and "level up" too, they might not get the chance if the clocks go up too high or magically poof if there's only a limited usage.)
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Chessrook44
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Chessrook44 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:39 am

Him walking up with nothing more than a sniff.

Am I the only one having flashbacks to a certain emotionless orc?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:15 am

Inspired wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:35 am Is it just me, or do the clock thingies seem to be hanging higher than they started off? As if they went a little up every time someone touched them.

(Which means if the others want to risk and "level up" too, they might not get the chance if the clocks go up too high or magically poof if there's only a limited usage.)
They don't seem to have raised after Fumbles Senor Vorpal touched them, so either something is different about Complains touching them, an art/perspective goof, or Complains shrunk to half his size?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Lightning Lance » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:47 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:15 am
Inspired wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:35 am Is it just me, or do the clock thingies seem to be hanging higher than they started off? As if they went a little up every time someone touched them.

They don't seem to have raised after Fumbles Senor Vorpal touched them, so either something is different about Complains touching them, an art/perspective goof, or Complains shrunk to half his size?
It might just be an artistic choice to better show off Complains' new IME.
Whatever this is, it seems to be a way to quickly level them up a bit and maybe get some character development that would otherwise take another half a year of real time :P

Typhlosaurus
Remains Silent

Post by Typhlosaurus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:03 am

Presumably Elli's personal interest in transitioning plays into the characters' rapid transformations too, especially given the "How well he knows himself" comment.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:32 am

The 'don't call me by my old name please' in the last one certainly read that way to me, whether intentional on her part or not.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Luy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Luy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:03 am

I like the gimmick of a room which teleports the goblins into an unknown "test".

I like that we dont actually see the test so we only see them being teleported and coming back instatly but having gone through a lot.

But I dont like them having character development offpanel. Elli should have saved the reveal of the wings for a cool fight with Kore.

Complains
Remains Silent

Post by Complains » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:23 am

I NEED to see what they went through. I wanna see some images, like in a pseudo dreamy vibe. It's not a book, after all, there's images. In a different topic, if I remember correctly, Elli once said the story is complete already, she has all the main plot points done and some smaller may change, which makes me think the deadname was something that was meant to be all along. I wonder how Forgath is going to react to this. He's no dwarf anymore on the outside, but the inside is what counts, and he even has a (kickass) energy beard. This is even taking away from the "love will fuel hate" prophecy, which I really don't know(perhaps don't even WANNA know) because I see a hate triangle coming, and I really liked their loving subplot, so yeah... fingers crossed here.

Edit: Although I really wanted them to cast some Restoration or Regeneration over the Seer's "monster" carving or something like that. We're seeing heavy trans representation and themes, and I don't know about you, I'm loving it being bi myself, although somethings happen to you and you don't want to keep that, right? I'm sure Thaco has grown accostumed to not having an ear, but since Dellyn is dead he may want his ear back sometime. This may relate to our real world in the form of surgery.

Edit 2: THIS
Luy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:03 am I like the gimmick of a room which teleports the goblins into an unknown "test".

I like that we dont actually see the test so we only see them being teleported and coming back instatly but having gone through a lot.

But I dont like them having character development offpanel. Elli should have saved the reveal of the wings for a cool fight with Kore.

feltex
Remains Silent

Post by feltex » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 am

Is Complains ambidextrous?

Before his Gnome-Egg adventure Complans is holding his sword in his right hand. After, he is weilding his sword in his left.

Has he always switched sword hands, or is this something new?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Typhlosaurus wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:03 am Presumably Elli's personal interest in transitioning plays into the characters' rapid transformations too, especially given the "How well he knows himself" comment.
I have no doubt the name thing comes from that, but transformation has been part of the story pre- and post- transition. There's the Yellow Creeper, Chief losing an eye, Complains has been transforming since Brassmoon, FMK all getting magic prosthetics, Dellyn and Caine being golems, whatever the hell happened to Kore, Forgath getting patched up with kliks, and eventually becoming one.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:20 pm

feltex wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 am Is Complains ambidextrous?

Before his Gnome-Egg adventure Complans is holding his sword in his right hand. After, he is weilding his sword in his left.

Has he always switched sword hands, or is this something new?
Everyone is changing sword hands. Sometimes people have changed grips mid swing.

Velgar
Speaks Quietly

Post by Velgar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:16 am

"RAAAAH!"
×IME touches clocks. Second round!×
"RAAAAAAAAAH!
×IME touches clocks again×
"Crap!"
×Third round×
"RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..."
×Complains new daemon form is tall enough to touch the clocks×
"SSSHHHHHHIIIT!!!"
×Fourth round×
"Oh!"
×5th×
"FO!"
×6th×
"SOME!"
×7th×
"BODY!"
×8th×
"STOP!!"
×9th×
"THIS!!!"
×10TH×
"NOW!!!"

You get the idea.
~The smallest of pebbles can start an avalanche, but even the greatest of boulders can hit nothing.~

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 am

Complains "Not-Walther" of Names....

On a different topic, from Twitter, potentially spoilerish, hence: (it's about an upcomic topic, not the result of the topic's discussion)
► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 am

So we don't know quite what happned, but we know it involved doing at least three flips.

Complains
Remains Silent

July 22nd 2020: "I mean... what happened(inside the clocks) might be important"

Post by Complains » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:37 pm

"I mean, what happened to you might be important... I think"

There's a reason I chose Complains as my avatar. He always represents me, and I really think the Goblin Mother put that line over there to poke fun at us at the forums, it just fits too well. The next strips surely are going to be lots of fun and theorizing :P

Btw: First thread :D

Derkins
Mutters to Themself

Re: July 22nd 2020: "I mean... what happened(inside the clocks) might be important"

Post by Derkins » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:31 pm

SVKA did seem to pass his saving throw, but seems like more than that too - both coming back so sure of themsleves, and with Kickasso suggesting they need to know themselves well (their character sheets, histories, personal events, character traits?). They seem to have passed a test. Sure interested to hear what Complains will say! Badass IME and entrance regardless 8)

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:44 am

And we know they're out of the field of clocks. Complains is standing super tall and the clocks are clearly well behind him.

Or at least very high.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:37 am

It may well be that this is a room where the GM takes the players for single one-on-one sessions to got through their character sheet and penalise or reward them for (in)consistencies in the character sheers, and this happens only once per character.

And Complains of Names got shrunk in size to fit below the Gnome eggs. Or teleported into a different part of the room, where there's more ceiling room.

We'll have to wait and see.

But you're right, the heights don't fit. If standing slightly bent causes a small "tink", and after the return an obvious space is there,... Hmm...

Garçon, new page, please! (there is no female one-on-one term I know, sorry Elli)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:55 am

Krulle wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:37 am [...]
And Complains of Names got shrunk in size to fit below the Gnome eggs. Or teleported into a different part of the room, where there's more ceiling room.

[...]
Whaha! That would be glorious.

RAAAA!
Snif.

... You guys... Have you grown? I hardly reach your knees...

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: July 22nd 2020: "I mean... what happened(inside the clocks) might be important"

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Comic threads merged - RS