June 21st, 2020 - Not a Very Good Guesser

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: June 21st, 2020 - Not a Very Good Guesser

Post by Krulle » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:43 am

Glemp wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:14 pm
Krulle wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:59 pm
kirktopode wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:46 pmET[huntonian demons.

Are we still calling this flavour of DnD "Thuntonian", what with Elli changing her name? I assumed that's what Kirktopode was referencing.

Besides WearsHats' answer "above", here's the "official" answer by Elli herself:
@rdelacy, 7 July 2019 wrote:Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:15 pmAre you going to continue to use the word “thuntonian” to describe your world, or are you eventually going to move to a new name?
@EllipsisGoblins wrote:Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:10 pmI like "Thuntonian" so much more now, because it's no longer named after me. I always felt kind of narcissistic when I used it before.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:34 am

Luy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm Yeah right, I got confused between the two characters which have the same face shape, same circles over the eyes and horns. Completely different.

This is the gargoyle. Elli changed the name and the design, big deal.

When they manage to get it out of Kore's lump perhaps it will have a design more similar to Elli's sketch, remember that we are not seing the true face of the creature, but the distorted face melted with Kore's skin.
I truly hope that is not a factor. Faces being able to be rescued. It felt cheap when Dies came back. And then Forgath (twiceish). If Hawl the trader and Chief comes back, a decade later, I'll... I dunno. Not like it.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 am

Thanks, Krulle and Hats!

Complains
Remains Silent

Re: Not a Very Good Guesser

Post by Complains » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 pm

WearsHats wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:47 am Elli said she was adding a new character inspired by her journey as a trans woman. This might be the one.
Could Idle be some protoform of that character, or even another allegory on sexuality spectrum, or even mental health? It's a pretty vague hypothesis, but she is a dwarf and has always been, but looks like a rabbit, also the "sex everyday", which is not her curse, but Bowst's.

I know Elli got heat because of the suicide comparison in "good death", but seems that like Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I really liked the bunnylady, by the way. I'm anxious to see her again. I'm also happy the story seems to be getting more light hearted. I'm sure there's a lot of feels ahead, but man... I don't think I'll ever see a character as demented as thad Dellyn ranger.

Luy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Luy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:35 am

Generic wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:34 am I truly hope that is not a factor. Faces being able to be rescued. It felt cheap when Dies came back. And then Forgath (twiceish). If Hawl the trader and Chief comes back, a decade later, I'll... I dunno. Not like it.
If I had to guess, they will find a way to get the new creature out of Kore and then the mission will be to try to Kill kore to get Chief back, or at least to free his soul.

If anything, the fact that so many character have come back from death makes me feel like Chief wont stay dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:48 am

As long as Delyn and his sidekick remain dead.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:47 am

The rules for gargoyles, who are animated stone with no need to eat or breathe, might be different?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:45 am

We're gonna need a soul-to-body restoration device or spell to bring back Pawlush and then Chief, with any luck -- something you might find related to 'turning back the clock' magic -- like in a room full of clocks -- but which one? Pure speculation, of course...
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:46 am

Krulle wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:48 am As long as Delyn and his sidekick remain dead.
You mean Solomon Kane?
(I know, it's not his name. But might as well be.)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:44 am

Saral Caine. A play on Tarol Caine Hunt, which turns out to be Ellipsis Hana Stephens's dead name.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Luy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Luy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:32 am

That reminds me... did we ever found out why Saral Caine's belt had the same face symbol found in Chiefs hat?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:29 am

Not yet.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:50 am

Luy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:32 am That reminds me... did we ever found out why Saral Caine's belt had the same face symbol found in Chiefs hat?
No. And everyone who was involved and might have noticed it is dead. Unless Kin throws a curve ball, this plot thread is pretty much dropped I think.

Luy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Luy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:44 am

The fact that Chief's symbol plot thread is still open also leads me to believe that Chief will come back eventually.

That, or that Elli discarded that plot altogether.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:44 am

WearsHats wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:24 am Being trans isn't about "deciding" to be something else. It's about coming to terms with who you are, despite how you look on the outside.

Ears was always gay (she tweeted about it years before it came up in the comic), and the point of him being "outed" is that it's completely unimportant. Irrelevant to the story. And of no consequence to the GAP. It's just part of who he is, and his friends accept that without hesitation. His liking hair (which goblins generally don't have and aren't attracted to), now that, they'll tease him about.

As for our new friend... I'm guessing it's a gargoyle.
Unfortunately, the whole hair thing only highlighted that Fumbles is a racist. The GAP's village might not have goblins with hair, but we know from Dies Horribly's story that there are goblin ethnicities for whom it is perfectly natural to grow hair (see Saves-A-Fox, the Viper Clan and several of their slaves). Which makes hair in goblins a phenotypical trait, similar to, say, the epicanthic fold or skin colors in humans, just one that isn't usually expressed in Fumbles' phenotype. Treating someone as abnormal or inferior due to a differing phenotype is the textbook definition of racism and that's exactly what Fumbles is doing in that scene.
If you doubt this, go into that scene, replace every instance of "hair" with "black skin" and see if you're still laughing.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 am

Morgaln wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:44 am
WearsHats wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:24 am Being trans isn't about "deciding" to be something else. It's about coming to terms with who you are, despite how you look on the outside.

Ears was always gay (she tweeted about it years before it came up in the comic), and the point of him being "outed" is that it's completely unimportant. Irrelevant to the story. And of no consequence to the GAP. It's just part of who he is, and his friends accept that without hesitation. His liking hair (which goblins generally don't have and aren't attracted to), now that, they'll tease him about.

As for our new friend... I'm guessing it's a gargoyle.
Unfortunately, the whole hair thing only highlighted that Fumbles is a racist. The GAP's village might not have goblins with hair, but we know from Dies Horribly's story that there are goblin ethnicities for whom it is perfectly natural to grow hair (see Saves-A-Fox, the Viper Clan and several of their slaves). Which makes hair in goblins a phenotypical trait, similar to, say, the epicanthic fold or skin colors in humans, just one that isn't usually expressed in Fumbles' phenotype. Treating someone as abnormal or inferior due to a differing phenotype is the textbook definition of racism and that's exactly what Fumbles is doing in that scene.
If you doubt this, go into that scene, replace every instance of "hair" with "black skin" and see if you're still laughing.
Good point. I don't think I had much of a reaction when I read that. The things they saw was much more interesting than Fumbles making noise anyway.
That makes his mustasche akin to black-face, and the (señor) Vorpal persona is his approximation of a culture alien to him.