The keystone Chronicles

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: The keystone Chronicles

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:55 pm

Session 15/16 summary

Extra time due before the next reset, some of the party decides to use it wisely, scouting out a path to the next settlement, knowing it to be far away from the actual entry point. They find the reason why soon enough, the path itself going through almost unavoidable swamplands, before beyond it through a mountain pass, a desert. Before, finally, their destination. Travelling through the swamp near the mountain ridges at first, managing to avoid a fair amount of the more intraversible swamp. Eventually, they would make it to the other side, only to finally spot what seemed to be a very old path, back in the vague direction where they came from. As Dinnus took upon him the very important task of going down endless paths all alone, the others decided to investigate a very curious sight. A city - Not on any of the maps they had seen.

Of course, like good adventurers, the group was immediately shifty, not trusting the guard who seemed to greet them quite friendly, apparently quite curious about "outsider tales". Still, they did not want to miss the chance of potentially discovering a city with a keystone shard, for that would mean an entire trip through the swamp avoided. Eventually, they set up the most genius plan: they would flood the city with magic, then try and use it as an excuse to get them to reveal the location of the shard.

Now, Uther couldn't exactly be completely be straightforward, instead trying to "subtly" hint toward the fact... At least, his suspicions were confirmed later on as the guard and the local barkeeper turned on him- With the help of a giant beast..! They managed to flee however, safe for now.

Back outside the city, they managed to address one of the scared townsfolk who, after some prodding, gave some insight.

"There's a beast, living down the city, in the caves. It eats our children, we gotta listen to it, or else... Or else you end up like poor Johnny. He looks the same, he acts the same, but... He's not the same. You just know."

With a bit more information, the group decides to infiltrate the city once more, trying to find the "secret" entrance he mentioned, what he claims to be a maze of tunnels and secret entrances beneath the city. They do find it; But also the same creature they had escaped from earlier! This time, killing it, though there was no time to explore deeper. They would need to come back...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:00 pm

Alright, just so it's out - Here's the loot list! Also, when would you guys be available for another session? (This week won't work for me)

Loot (in addition to the 25 romcom novels already claimed)
1200 cp
5000 sp
1300 gp
12 pp
Small Bag of Incense (25 gp)
Rabbit Fur Ribbon (25 gp)
Iron Brooch (25 gp)
Iron Dagger (25 gp)
Eyes of Minute Seeing
Elixer of health

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:16 pm

My schedule is somewhat flexible but it is good to set out a week in advance at the moment...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Yep, next weekend looks okay? Saturday again?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Works for me!

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:36 am

Lee is also in for Saturday, same time as usual.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:19 pm

So 1:00 pm EST...Okay then...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat May 02, 2020 1:27 pm

Another good session! Gotta try and put some time together to do the proper reviews of last sessions again.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 04, 2020 6:25 am

As usual, the first hour went to bookkeeping! Still good times.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed May 06, 2020 1:42 pm

Bookeeping...why DnD is the prefered game of accounts... :P

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun May 10, 2020 2:14 pm

When's the next session oh great and might DM?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun May 10, 2020 3:56 pm

Yeah, we should probably plan something! Would this week work? Upcoming weeks?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 11, 2020 1:13 am

This week works, next week also works for me.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 am

Quarg, are you in for this weekend or the next? (And thinks, should she be available)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 14, 2020 12:41 pm

At this point I made plans for this Saturday, but next week still looks good, Thursday through Sunday.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu May 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Yeah, that's fair. Let's try for next week then..?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri May 15, 2020 5:36 am

I likely can do next weekend but up to 5 pm EST saturday and then all day sunday...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 am

Sunday is fine for me too that week actually, if it comes out better. Do we want to set a sunday date for this time?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat May 16, 2020 7:56 am

Session 17/18 summary

One reset later, the party was ready to once again try and face the terror hidden away in the village, now with an idea of what to expect... Their travel through the swamp was mostly uneventful, thanks to a combination of the road they had discovered, and careful scouting allowing them to avoid any of the threats. As well as one very heroic instance of bravely running away, of course. Soon they arrived in the city once more, sneaking in, and using some magic to scare the people off as they made their way to the underground entrance they had discovered earlier.

Underground they found a small system of corridors, soon enough tripping of an "alarm" system - A whole bunch of shrieking aberrations attacking, swarming them as they hacked them down one by one... Though while this proved no issues, they found it gave time for others to organize. Soon enough, they found the umber hulk once more- And a whole bunch of "loyal" humans. Thinking perhaps the umber hulk was the one controlling them the adventurers tried to hack it down, first, but soon enough discovered they were not the cause of the humans strange actions. Only finding that striking them down caused a weird, brain-like parasite to jump out, and attack them as well..!

Defeating these creatures, they moved forward, wanting to find the "mayor" they had been talking about, only to find themselves encountering a translucent, seemingly unbreakable wall. After a short investigation they had turned back. Unaware, of course, that the "mayor" had been there just a second before, getting ready to help his troops fight. Only to see them being mercilessly pummeled as he decided to back off, putting up the barrier for a moment.

As the adventurers turned back, they eventually found a room with two kids, the apparent next "meals" for the mayor. Thinking perhaps the barrier was made so only kids could go through, they turned back, deciding it was at least worth investigating. Only to find the Mayor had returned, and quickly rounded up a bunch of innocent civilians as living shield. His identity was revealed as a mindflayer, the entire city apparently designed to be an adequate food source for him, kids and others "groomed" to be specific meals. Briefly he tried to make a deal with the adventurers... And of course, they did not listen. Misty stepping right past the living shields, beginning to bash up the mindflayer- As he made the very, very stupid mistake of trying to put two elves to sleep. Eventually being knocked out, never even having gotten off a real attack.

Following his defeat, the adventurers decided the best course of action was to teach the citizens about the keystone, and how they should use it to travel to the main kingdom for help, and ask for reinforcements there. Hopefully, with the help of the King, they could restore peace.

---

They themselves took the keystone shard they found there to travel back to the city, do some much needed management... And soon were once again on the road, continuing their trek to the old dragonborn city. This trip soon started taking them through the desert, though they found a canyon that seemed safe enough to traverse through soon enough, travelling through it for hours. Briefly considering turning back when one area seemed infested with scorpions, but eventually decided to try and block up the major holes, before passing through. Sadly this went wrong, and they found themselves facing an endless horde of spiders... Deciding to make a run through it before the really big ones started coming out.

------

On an OOC note, I'm somewhat sad you guys didn't at least decide to try and infiltrate the city for intel, even if you were somewhat suspicious. They would actually have treated you ok (Though probably planning to drug you/ambush you at night), and I had a couple ideas for things they could have noticed that was, for lack of a better word, "messed up". Oh well. :P

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat May 16, 2020 3:13 pm

I got the impression that the city was too small to really infiltrate? Everyone knowing everyone type of thing? Also Dinnus never really approached the place until it was time to go into the tunnels. Not that he would be the type to infiltrate...

Thanks for the review!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat May 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Infiltrate isn't the right word I suppose, they'd definitely know of you - But just play the role of guess and figure things out like that, I suppose.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 18, 2020 2:25 am

Nah, why do that when we can flood the place! Also Dinnus was too busy wandering off on his own to figure anything out.

So we aiming Saturday then? Going from 19 CET to 23 CET? That is 17 EST, right? So I can check with Lee on his availability.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon May 18, 2020 5:13 pm

Works perfectly for me! :) And, erm, for EST I'm not 100%, but it is the usual hour we start playing!

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 am

Was Thinks going to be able to play?

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 20, 2020 4:08 am

Lee is a maybe for playing at all this weekend, lots of assignments due next week he says. He will let me know but if Thinks can't play maybe it is a postpone?