Feb 24th, 2020 - Um... hello.

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Feb 24th, 2020 - Um... hello.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:58 am

Minmax's obliviousness saves the day, after all. And Kin finally gets a word out.

Good to see them finally reunited. Taking bets on how long before we get a scene change.

(Side note: The next color is teal.)

https://www.goblinscomic.com/comic/page-3-2020
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: Feb 24th, 2020 - Um... hello.

Post by Generic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:13 am

Glad the silent room is finally over. Trying to figure out what purpose this last scenario served. Perhaps the angry ball eating bugs needed establishing for something else in the future?

I really love MinMax's totally undignified way to lever his sword by the way.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am

Yay, an update, and it looks like things will be moving forward now! I'm curious to see what Minmax and Kin do now. Do they look for the goblins? Do they look fore Kore? Or will something happen that interrupts them and brings them into the main plot again?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 am

To be honest, it's not the first time a generally creepy trap is left unexplained, like the coloured poles in the Well of Darkness that Dies & Co. were climbing up.

catchesafish
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by catchesafish » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:19 am

Wall of ice puts kin at a minimum 7th-level (wizard, right?). Or is she a sorcerer, so 8th? Added to her race's natural Hit Dice and level adjustment, it's no surprise she was able to at least hold her own against Kore for a few moments (with the element of surprise).

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 am

catchesafish wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:19 am Wall of ice puts kin at a minimum 7th-level (wizard, right?). Or is she a sorcerer, so 8th? Added to her race's natural Hit Dice and level adjustment, it's no surprise she was able to at least hold her own against Kore for a few moments (with the element of surprise).
It's a level 4 spell I believe.

torrasque666
Remains Silent

Post by torrasque666 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:45 am

Changes_everything wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 am
catchesafish wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:19 am Wall of ice puts kin at a minimum 7th-level (wizard, right?). Or is she a sorcerer, so 8th? Added to her race's natural Hit Dice and level adjustment, it's no surprise she was able to at least hold her own against Kore for a few moments (with the element of surprise).
Yeah, so 7th level wizard or 8th level sorcerer. Rule of thumb is (Level x 2)-1 for wizards, and (Level x 2) for sorcerers.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:54 am

Changes_everything wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 am
So yes, in other words. Level 4 spell = level 7 wizard.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:25 pm

I think it would have hurt DnD none if characters had levels, and spells had ranks, tiers or something like that.

Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Lightning Lance » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:15 pm

WearsHats wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:58 am (Side note: The next color is teal.)
I was thinking why would Minmax be naming a specific blue/green mixed color. But then I realized, I'm sure the Jade Teapot will come up in conversation soon.
Generic wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:13 am I really love MinMax's totally undignified way to lever his sword by the way.
I don't really get why he has to put effort into cutting something with Oblivious. Shouldn't it just go through anything, no problem? Or is this because it uses DnD damage rules or something?
Last edited by Lightning Lance on Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Yay, a new page! Glad these two are together again. (As in: at the same place. We don't know emotionally, yet.)
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:21 pm

YEEEEAASSSS! Been geeking out waiting for Min/Kin to join back up!!! I know I'm a romantic fool... but I love the story telling. Hmmm..where is Kin's paper psuedo-dragon familiar?

And yeah, swooning to all that fragrant green hair! :love:
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:36 pm

Dang it, this update got a double-fist-pump from me. I'm usually kinda subdued but this time, I couldn't help it.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:00 pm

Lightning Lance wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:15 pm
WearsHats wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:58 am (Side note: The next color is teal.)
I was thinking why would Minmax be naming a specific blue/green mixed color. But then I realized, I'm sure the Jade Teapot will come up in conversation soon.
Generic wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:13 am I really love MinMax's totally undignified way to lever his sword by the way.
I don't really get why he has to put effort into cutting something with Oblivious. Shouldn't it just go through anything, no problem? Or is this because it uses DnD damage rules or something?
Oblivious isn't like a mono molecular blade. It's built exactly like a regular sword including thickness and sharpness. It's edge can never grow dull but it still acts as a regular sword for use. It's only real ability is it can't be affected by outside forces except for Minmax's ability to wield it. So what he did was force it into the door crack and then pry it sideways. Since he has such a high strength he was able to fracture the stone freeing up a chunk he could pull out.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:12 pm

Lightning Lance wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:15 pm [...]
By our understanding of the world, yes. To every action there is a reaction, and without this counter force Oblivious should just tear through anything without any resistance what so ever.

And in this case, it looks like he cut out a round hole. But I don't think he did. He pulled on the door with oblivious as a lever and somehow the stone not only cracked but cracked in that wierd way. In one piece.

As someone else just said. Oblivious is strange and ill defined. I think we have to interpret the pictures as directly as we can and then just accept whatever comes out. Even if the brain tries to fill the gap using logic and knowledge of how the world works.

Stone is not strong enough to stop MinMax prying a large part off. Bowst was thrown through several tree trunks that shattered when he hit. The world is brittle. Just roll with it.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:18 pm

I really want to update my signature with "teal" now :)
The school I teach at has students in six 'houses' with a colour for each house, and mine is teal - the best colour by far., obviously. Please let him say "teal", that better not be a "jade" glove we see.
It might not be the next colour he says, it's just the colour we get to before he draws Oblivious again.

Kingsdragon
Remains Silent

Post by Kingsdragon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:27 pm

Generic wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:13 am []... Trying to figure out what purpose this last scenario served. Perhaps the angry ball eating bugs needed establishing for something else in the future?...[]
Because it's DnD, not everything is about the DM's story, some of it's just the challenge given to the players

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:57 am

Kingsdragon wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:27 pm
Generic wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:13 am []... Trying to figure out what purpose this last scenario served. Perhaps the angry ball eating bugs needed establishing for something else in the future?...[]
Because it's DnD, not everything is about the DM's story, some of it's just the challenge given to the players
So nothing? Alright. I however am sure Elli would not spend months drawing something that served no purpose. I am not completely sure what it is yet. "Dooor" made me wonder the same way, but it turned out it established a bunch of things.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:48 am

It's a dungeon room. It's where she was trapped, forcing Minmax to go after her (which gave him motivation to try to convince the GAP to come with him, and to be willing to split from them if they didn't). It's served its purpose.

I do wonder if Minmax will recognize that, to his illiterate mind, Kin's IME spells her name.

In any case, after so much loss, it's good to see him get someone back.

As far as he knows, though, the GAP are dead. Parchment searched for them, and could find no sign. He thinks they fell to their doom, and grieved for their loss (particularly SVK).

Jade is green, not greenish blue. It'll be interesting to see what does come up, but most of the color changes so far have been frivolous.

As for Oblivious: It's a sword made of non-existence. Nothing can affect it but the weilder. It can cut through just about anything, but no exterior force can move or damage it. So, Minmax used it to cut a hole in the wall and then to pry the plug out. It makes a good pry bar because it can't bend. That all seems pretty clear-cut to me.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:23 am

As far as he knows, though, the GAP are dead. Parchment searched for them, and could find no sign. He thinks they fell to their doom, and grieved for their loss (particularly SVK).
If he thinks that, he's much, much stupider than he's been shown. You don't just run into a party made up of your former victims, be forced to ally with them, bond with one of them over your recent loss, and then have them all suddenly die with no buildup. This is a DnD world, not the real world, and here, the rules of drama are written into reality.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 am

► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:55 am

I'm so glad we have one post saying that drama is irrelevant to the comic, and another it's super important in the same thread.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 am

WearsHats wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:48 am ** trimmed **

I do wonder if Minmax will recognize that, to his illiterate mind, Kin's IME spells her name.

** trimmed **
He left before the necklace was dropped into a hole, therefore he should be able to remember it. If he asks, will that restore her memory.

Shiratzu
Remains Silent

Post by Shiratzu » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:24 am

rwstyles wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 am
WearsHats wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:48 am ** trimmed **

** trimmed **
He left before the necklace was dropped into a hole, therefore he should be able to remember it. If he asks, will that restore her memory.
He left after, not before. Her inability to remember the necklace caused her to question why she felt so close to him, causing him to be confused when she suddenly changed how she acted toward him. This led to him grabbing her leash.

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:44 pm

I called, it!!! Minmax saved Kin!

I'm super glad that they have got back together. I hope that they spend a bit of time talking, before the scene changes.

I bet a squigillion dollars that Minmax mentions that her IME spells out her name.

Hugs, Nina.