Dec 29th, 2019 - CLONK

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Dec 29th, 2019 - CLONK

Post by WearsHats » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Well, that's not how I expected things to go. With a soundproofed wall and no place for Parchment to go through, communication will be nigh impossible. But maybe their bond will help? Minmax might be able to sense something from her.

In other news:
EllipsisGoblins wrote:Imma boop you on the nose with the last Goblins comic of the decade. Things were drastically slowed down by other work and by my transition, but I'm hoping for a much faster update pace in 2020. I really appreciate your patience and understanding. BOOP!
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-27-2019
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Dec 29th, 2019 - CLONK

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:20 pm

I thought for sure Herbert would let him get away with that.

ForgetsKeys
Whispers Softly

Post by ForgetsKeys » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:53 am

... huh.

I assume that this will eventually lead to Kin being able to leave the room, but I'm not sure how. Will Minmax be able to break the door? Or will making these mouth things come out of the wall break the silence spell? I'm hoping for the latter. I want to see Kin save herself with some magic.

Jarednc
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Jarednc » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:54 am

I'm still convinced that he will use oblivious to get in and save her

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 am

Her bring torn to shreds by evil bugs would be quite the development. A bit refrigerator warning, but I think it's time for MinMaxes dumpstats to catch up with him.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:45 pm

Kin's tail has LOTS more detail to it's texture. Maybe this is why the update was slow?

I thought the happy faces on the wall, were NO BIG DEAL.

I was wrong... so wrong...

Hugs, Nina.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:49 am

I wondered about the tail too, it does not seem to be made of the impermeable (higher density) material anymore...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:04 pm

Generic wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 am Her bring torn to shreds by evil bugs would be quite the development. A bit refrigerator warning, but I think it's time for MinMaxes dumpstats to catch up with him.
Her tail is still the same color as when Kore broke his axe on it. Before, it was brown. She should be able to crush them with her tail.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:49 am

rwstyles wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:04 pm
Generic wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 am Her bring torn to shreds by evil bugs would be quite the development. A bit refrigerator warning, but I think it's time for MinMaxes dumpstats to catch up with him.
Her tail is still the same color as when Kore broke his axe on it. Before, it was brown. She should be able to crush them with her tail.
She'll still be a brawling wizard. If I recall correctly not being able to speak is not a good thing for spellcasters.

Forgaths super beard survived him dying. I am sure her super tail survives a distracting redesign.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 am

Kin's tail looks the same to me as it does, for example, here: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-11-2018

It's just better lighting and angle, so we can see the scales. It's not a redesign. Just more detailed art, which is a thing that's been happening since the comic started as black and white squiggles.

But the new tail from the psionic engine is permanent and invulnerable, just like Forgath's beard and Minmax's eye. Each is a magical construct in their IME created by the same reality-bending machine that created the oblivion holes. It's a replacement of the body part exactly as it used to be, but made of some super dense unchanging magical material. http://goblinscomic.com/comic/08252013-2

So, yes, it should provide her with a fair amount of protection. Her tail has also always been very strong, in the same way as healthy human legs are much stronger than our arms, and she's capable of grappling or attacking with it. But her upper body is still vulnerable, she can't cast verbal spells, and her only weapon is a staff. She can probably handle the few that just activated, but if Minmax shakes loose the whole wall of them, she'll be swarmed.

As for the speed of updates, the tweet I quoted in the original post reminds us that Elli has been hard at work finishing Kickstarter reward material and also dealing with medical issues related to her transition. The latter have required multiple trips into the city, which takes at least a full day for each round trip. That's not counting being hospitalized after passing out and falling down the stairs Christmas week.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:13 am

You may think it looks the same. I'll not argue with that. The contrast of the scales are way higher I think.

What is this thing with higher density some talk about? I only remember the parts as being super durable, not heavier.

Yikes on falling down stairs. That must have sucked.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:13 pm

The scales do show up more here, but I see them on earlier pages, too. Like I said, I think it's the lighting in the room. The earlier page I linked is a dark hallway. In any case, it's just a higher level of detail, which I personally appreciate.

The second page I linked above has the Kins figuring out what the psionic machine does, and they say it appears to replace missing or damaged body parts with a magical material that's almost invulnerable to physical damage, and they say it's very dense. But they also say it's generated by the person's IME, so maybe they mean it's dense magic? Certainly, if Forgath's beard suddenly weighed 20 lbs, it would be very hard for him to move his jaw. Or maybe they, on first analysis of an incredibly complicated machine created over an unknown length of time by someone arguably more intelligent than they are, they made a mistake.

And, yeah, stairs incident was scary. Danielle honestly thought Elli was dead for a while there.

► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:16 am

I try to assume Kin and variants give the right exposition. In other cases, we would be hopelessly lost by now.
Well, she is refering to the old material. And that is not magical. So I guess Kin weighs a ton now? That must suck.

When I was a kid, my mother fell pretty bad on Christmas eve (the big day in Sweden). I can totally relate with Danielle.

Lightning Lance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Lightning Lance » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:45 pm

WearsHats wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:13 pm The second page I linked above has the Kins figuring out what the psionic machine does, and they say it appears to replace missing or damaged body parts with a magical material that's almost invulnerable to physical damage, and they say it's very dense. But they also say it's generated by the person's IME, so maybe they mean it's dense magic? Certainly, if Forgath's beard suddenly weighed 20 lbs, it would be very hard for him to move his jaw. Or maybe they, on first analysis of an incredibly complicated machine created over an unknown length of time by someone arguably more intelligent than they are, they made a mistake.
Dense =/= heavy. It could be dense but light like graphene.

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:46 pm

Lightning Lance wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:45 pm Dense =/= heavy. It could be dense but light like graphene.
Density is mass divided by volume. So for two objects of the same volume (in a gravity field):

Dense == Heavy

However, I don't think Elli is using Density to mean that. I think what she was intending was that Forgath's beard and Kim's tail is more 'dense' in some magical way, that makes them super durable.

I think Kim will get hurt, and Minmax will sense this. He will do something to help her / get her out, but I have no idea what.

What is that strange grey / brown thing at the end of the room, by the way?

Hugs, Nina.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:55 am

Yeah. If it's dense matter, it's heavy. But clearly that's not the case because Forgath's beard doesn't seem to be extra heavy. So she probably means it's a dense magical field or something like that. It's a magical replacement of the original body part, and, due to its composition, it's basically invulnerable to physical damage. So Kin should be able to defend herself with her tail for a while. It's only if they can climb up her tail to attack her torso that she's in danger. Which gets more likely the more of them there are and the longer they have to try to get past her defenses.

The grey thing at the end of the room in panel 2 is the door. He slams into it in panel 4, shaking loose the trap balls on Kin's side of the same door, as seen on panel 5. Is that what you mean? The only other objects I see are the wall sconces that hold the colored balls he's supposed to match in order to open the door.

► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am

WearsHats wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:55 am Yeah. If it's dense matter, it's heavy. But clearly that's not the case because Forgath's beard doesn't seem to be extra heavy. [...]
Beards are not heavy to begin with. For a beards weight to be noticable on Forgath I think it would need to be super dense. I am sure he could haul around a beard five times the normal weight, noone the wiser. A five times heavier lower body though...
Nina wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:46 pm
Lightning Lance wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:45 pm Dense =/= heavy. It could be dense but light like graphene.
Density is mass divided by volume. So for two objects of the same volume (in a gravity field):

Dense == Heavy

However, I don't think Elli is using Density to mean that. I think what she was intending was that Forgath's beard and Kim's tail is more 'dense' in some magical way, that makes them super durable.

I think Kim will get hurt, and Minmax will sense this. He will do something to help her / get her out, but I have no idea what.

What is that strange grey / brown thing at the end of the room, by the way?

Hugs, Nina.
This.

I also find it likely she meant "tightly woven", "sturdy" or "solid".

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:09 am

I think we're all saying the same thing. So that's good.

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:16 am

Generic wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am
WearsHats wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:55 am Yeah. If it's dense matter, it's heavy. But clearly that's not the case because Forgath's beard doesn't seem to be extra heavy. [...]
Beards are not heavy to begin with. For a beards weight to be noticable on Forgath I think it would need to be super dense. I am sure he could haul around a beard five times the normal weight, noone the wiser. A five times heavier lower body though...
It comes with a magically strangthened lower body, so it won't change much (unless she starts hanging her body on her arms), but the neck muscles supporting the head and the heavier beard would not have been magically reinforced, there it could matter a lot.

But in the end, those are characters, bags of HP. If the character sheet now says "magical beard from a "dense" material - +X DEF" then it's just that, and the rest of the body will still perform it's normal functions, the neck will still support the head. And arms will still be strong enough to support the whole body when hanging somewhere.
But, Tworgath could gain roleplaying XP, by stating that your character has neck problems and needs a neck/shoulder massage....

Nina
Whispers Softly

Post by Nina » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:11 am

No I mean this greyish thing that looks like a ... something ... with its mouth sewn shut.

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-15-2018

Hugs, Nina.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:16 am
Generic wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 am
It comes with a magically strangthened lower body, so it won't change much (unless she starts hanging her body on her arms), but the neck muscles supporting the head and the heavier beard would not have been magically reinforced, there it could matter a lot.

But in the end, those are characters, bags of HP. If the character sheet now says "magical beard from a "dense" material - +X DEF" then it's just that, and the rest of the body will still perform it's normal functions, the neck will still support the head. And arms will still be strong enough to support the whole body when hanging somewhere.
But, Tworgath could gain roleplaying XP, by stating that your character has neck problems and needs a neck/shoulder massage....
I must have a very wierd facial hair as mine only weighs a couple of grams, tops. Turn it to lead, 9 times higher density, I doubt it's weight would affect me much. I agree my beard is nowhere as large as Forgaths. (nor are my feet).

What would 9 snakes of Kin's diameter weigh? Now I am generous as snake has a lower density than horn (citation needed).

I think the bags of hp way of thinking would rob the comic of a lot of dread. Elli is relying quite a bit on body horror I think. People being unaffected by having half their body transformed to an alien material. By a Darth Evil version of a romantical interest none the less. Kin is a survivor of rape. A version of a guy she started to like just blew up her geniala and replaced them with gods know what. I wonder how she manages to get within a 10 foot pole distance from MinMax anymore. Especially considering he did grab the leash at one point.

So I refuse to think of bags of HP. It would cheapen loss of ears, hands, goblindom, rails, writing on foreheads, fused victims to murderer, legless Yala, melting arms, fused Klik parts (warped and not), loss of wings, wooden rangers, loss of eyes, transparent demon markings, curses forcing people to intercourse on threat of death, rape leashes(still being there), guards being put through salad shooters, being turned into snakes, being crushed by armor etc.

Psymax himself did not seem to happy about the prospect of being turned into the stuff when he realized he would remain as such. (In his case it could be the remain part that was the terror.)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:29 am

Nina wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:11 am No I mean this greyish thing that looks like a ... something ... with its mouth sewn shut.

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-15-2018

Hugs, Nina.
Oh. Good catch. I'd guess that has something to do with the spell of silence on the room.

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:11 am

BTW, forgot to link the preview sketch of panel 9 here, for those interested:
► Show Spoiler

EcceVos
Remains Silent

Post by EcceVos » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:23 am

Science lesson for you guys.

Mass is the amount of matter something contains. Weight is how much gravity pulls on that matter

Density = mass/volume

Density is not a measurement or description of how heavy something is. It is the measurement/description of how much matter is in a given volume of that something.

So Kin's/Forgaths beard could be very dense, more dense than flesh, more dense than steel, and still weigh less than both. Considering they are literally made of magic as expressed by being the color of their IME it is easily conceivable.

Nina
Whispers Softly

Weight is proportional to mass in gravity.

Post by Nina » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am

EcceVos wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:23 am Science lesson for you guys.

Mass is the amount of matter something contains. Weight is how much gravity pulls on that matter

Density = mass/volume

Density is not a measurement or description of how heavy something is. It is the measurement/description of how much matter is in a given volume of that something.

So Kin's/Forgaths beard could be very dense, more dense than flesh, more dense than steel, and still weigh less than both. Considering they are literally made of magic as expressed by being the color of their IME it is easily conceivable.

Hi EcceVos.
You are wrong. If hair is (say) ~0.3 grams / cubic centimeter, and steel is 7.85 gram / cubic cm, then in a gravity field, the steel will WEIGH more.

In a constant accelleration, weight is proportional to mass.

For example: 1 cubic meter of steel masses 7.85 tonnes, and has a weight (in Earth's gravity of 9.8 meters / second squared) of:

7.85 tonnes * 9.8 m/(s * s) = 76.93 million Newtons. This is approximately equal to 8.65 short tons in the Imperial system.

Look at how the units are defined. A Newton, a measure of weight, (well force actually), is defined as:

1 Newton = 1 kg * 1 meter / (second * second).

In other words, you take the mass, and multiply it by the acceleration it is undergoing, to get the weight.

Hugs, Nina.