14 Oct. 2019: What have you done?

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: 14 Oct. 2019: What have you done?

Post by WearsHats » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 am

JustRight wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:49 am How about a little healing for Ears? If stab wounds get completely healed, how about losses of parts - wouldn't they regrow?
Nope. Cuts can heal. Regrowing a whole body part takes special very rare magic. That's why Duv had to go through all that just for a chance to regrow her missing wing. The only other regeneration I think we've seen was from Psymax's reality-altering machine which replaced Kin's tail, Forgath's beard, and Minmax's eye with magical energy. And, of course, the Kliks' ability to create symbiote patches, which comes with dire consequences if done wrong.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:15 am

WearsHats wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 am
JustRight wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:49 am How about a little healing for Ears? If stab wounds get completely healed, how about losses of parts - wouldn't they regrow?
Nope. Cuts can heal. Regrowing a whole body part takes special very rare magic. That's why Duv had to go through all that just for a chance to regrow her missing wing. The only other regeneration I think we've seen was from Psymax's reality-altering machine which replaced Kin's tail, Forgath's beard, and Minmax's eye with magical energy. And, of course, the Kliks' ability to create symbiote patches, which comes with dire consequences if done wrong.
And whatever fixed Goblinslayer up with the wood bits.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:18 pm

I guess if any of them could sew a suture, they could reattach the ears and then heal the cut. But I doubt they have the skill or the needed equipment handy, and even if they had a cooler I don't think they'd be stopping at a local fantasy-setting-medical-center soon enough for it to be of much use.

Whoever did the wood bits doesn't sound like a bad option, though. At least if Ears looks as cool with big ol' leaves for ears as I imagine.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Gift Fastidious wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:18 pm I guess if any of them could sew a suture, they could reattach the ears and then heal the cut. But I doubt they have the skill or the needed equipment handy, and even if they had a cooler I don't think they'd be stopping at a local fantasy-setting-medical-center soon enough for it to be of much use.

Whoever did the wood bits doesn't sound like a bad option, though. At least if Ears looks as cool with big ol' leaves for ears as I imagine.
New ears made by rhubarb leaves? I am game. Tell Elli we want this. Make a petition! #bigolleaveears

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:09 am

Elli repeatedly stated over the years that each fight would have consequences. Like MinMax eye-scar, or Dies' loss of his arm for examples.
It's a concept she holds very dearly so Ears losing his ears is really just another chapter of that. I highly doubt that this would be undone (as in back to normal) easily. The replacement of some sort I could imagine, but such options do not grow on trees (if you'll forgive me that pun). 8)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Furmanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Furmanda » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 am

MassivePumpkin wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:59 pm A lot of things have been going wrong, by the rules of a D&D world.

Long story short, I really don't think Herbert, or any other Dungeon Master, is actually running diddlysquat in the Goblins realm at this point. Normal "the DM can allow/deny this" rule variations may very well not apply.
I think this common inconsistency of rules/setting is exactly the proof that a human DM is in control of all that - he arbitrarily lets players get away with ridiculous stuff (MinMax special power used to kill psymax), he arbitrarily uses ridiculous or could be said lazy mechanics and devices too. It kinda fits laid-back DMing where you sometimes make up absurd things to be funny and don't care about it making no sense.
Look at all the very silly magical items that have highly unintuitive or even illogical working (going against "verisimilitude" or how to put it), and also weird names like lolpearl. This DM origin could even explain the ridiculously unrealistic architecture of many places :)

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 am

It is painful just how stupid this comic has gotten over they ears. Hunt has really outdone himself. This was by far the dumbest shit I've seen in a webcomic in a long time.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:56 am

Xavier78 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 am [...] they ears. [...]
That was a pretty good Freudian slip.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:28 am

Xavier78 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 am It is painful just how stupid this comic has gotten over they ears. Hunt has really outdone himself. This was by far the dumbest shit I've seen in a webcomic in a long time.
If you don't enjoy it, you are welcome to stop reading. And telling us how much you don't enjoy it. But her name is Elli Stephens. Hunt is no longer in use.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:50 am

I for one is totally fine with people saying what they think of the comic, and I am glad to see you again Xavier78.

The author has written about her transition on the blog.
https://goblinscomic.com/blog

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:28 pm

I would've preferred a tad more reasoning, but am fine with this expression of personal sentiment too.
Apparently the comic did not get dumb enough to stop following the story....

And indeed, Thunt was, Ellipsis is.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Dellisrob
Remains Silent

Post by Dellisrob » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:28 pm

The templates applied to both Kore and Fumbles seem a lot alike, just reskined, to me. I wonder if that will come into play later.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 am

Dellisrob wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:28 pm The templates applied to both Kore and Fumbles seem a lot alike, just reskined, to me. I wonder if that will come into play later.
What do you mean?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:23 am

Generic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 am
Dellisrob wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:28 pm The templates applied to both Kore and Fumbles seem a lot alike, just reskined, to me. I wonder if that will come into play later.
What do you mean?
I think they mean that Fumbles can bypass class restrictions because he has 1/11th of every class, and Kore can bypass alignment restrictions because he has at least one soul of each.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 am

Glemp wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:23 am
Generic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 am
What do you mean?
I think they mean that Fumbles can bypass class restrictions because he has 1/11th of every class, and Kore can bypass alignment restrictions because he has at least one soul of each.
Yes. And both have "souls bound to them".

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 am

Except in one case it's depicted as being voluntary, and wanted, and usual by domain standards, and in the other case it's depicted as an unvoluntary binding of the souls, unwanted, and unusual/prohibited by domain standards....

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:58 am

Krulle wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 am Except in one case it's depicted as being voluntary, and wanted, and usual by domain standards, and in the other case it's depicted as an unvoluntary binding of the souls, unwanted, and unusual/prohibited by domain standards....
Yes. And one is an murderous dwarf (Ellian dwarves are all warped monstrocities(or dead) ) and one is a goofball who stabs childr-... Er.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:07 am

Yes, and once again it shows societies double-standards....

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:11 am

Krulle wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:07 am Yes, and once again it shows societies double-standards....
#justice4kore

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Generic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:50 am I for one is totally fine with people saying what they think of the comic, and I am glad to see you again Xavier78.

It's nice that you decided you're okay with it. But we updated the forum rules this summer. Constructive criticism is fine. Complaining now and then about something you didn't like is fine. But these are the official fan forums, owned and run by the comic creators, for the purpose of letting fans share their enjoyment with each other. If all you have to contribute is that you hate it and it's terrible, you're welcome to do that (and pat each other on the back for it) elsewhere.

When we announced that change in policy, we got a chorus of people telling us that they appreciated it because the toxicity some of our members were consistently bringing to the discussion had driven them away from participating.

As for Elli, she says that "Tarol," "Hunt," and "Thunt" are all dead names. Their use is a painful reminder of the dysphoria she experienced before her transition. Calling her by any of those names is no longer acceptable. If you missed the announcements about that, it's understandable. But now you know.

► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:41 pm

WearsHats wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:01 pm
Generic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:50 am I for one is totally fine with people saying what they think of the comic, and I am glad to see you again Xavier78.

It's nice that you decided you're okay with it. But we updated the forum rules this summer. Constructive criticism is fine. Complaining now and then about something you didn't like is fine. But these are the official fan forums, owned and run by the comic creators, for the purpose of letting fans share their enjoyment with each other. If all you have to contribute is that you hate it and it's terrible, you're welcome to do that (and pat each other on the back for it) elsewhere.

When we announced that change in policy, we got a chorus of people telling us that they appreciated it because the toxicity some of our members were consistently bringing to the discussion had driven them away from participating.

As for Elli, she says that "Tarol," "Hunt," and "Thunt" are all dead names. Their use is a painful reminder of the dysphoria she experienced before her transition. Calling her by any of those names is no longer acceptable. If you missed the announcements about that, it's understandable. But now you know.
Oh. The new rules are up? I've not seen anything posted. Have I been looking in the wrong places?

But now I know? Err... Did I call her by the wrong name anywhere? Are talking to me?

Kingsdragon
Remains Silent

Post by Kingsdragon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Xavier78 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 am It is painful just how stupid this comic has gotten over they ears. Hunt has really outdone himself. This was by far the dumbest shit I've seen in a webcomic in a long time.
No, it was in reply to the above.

In reply to Xaviers post: Personally I'm finding it enthralling still and am just glad there's regular updates. As someone who's been reading since I was a teenager (Am now 26), I know what it's like to get two updates a year. So quit ya bitchin' and enjoy it or stop reading.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:28 pm

Generic wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:41 pm
WearsHats wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Oh. The new rules are up? I've not seen anything posted. Have I been looking in the wrong places?

But now I know? Err... Did I call her by the wrong name anywhere? Are talking to me?
I would also like to know where to find those new rules. There's nothing in the official rules post (last update listed was in 2014), and there is no announcement in the important announcements forum either. So I'm somewhat at a loss where else official rules updates are supposed to be posted. Especially since the "chorus of people" implies a longer thread, so I would expect it to be easy to find.

@Generic: I think the part about the wrong name was meant for Xavier78, who did deadname Ellipsis.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:56 pm

The forum rules update must be younger, as it is referencing Elli by her chosen name. (Section "On contacting Moderators and Administrators; point 5")

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:45 am

@Morgain, But Wears Hats already responded to Xavier78 that those names were not in use?

As for the chorous: I think it happened in the "GAP on the Attack"-thread in august. I might be wrong though.
SeeAMoose wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:57 pm Well put FullmoonCat, and also not the first time we have heard similar complaints about certain members of the forum (both publicly and privately). In the near future we will be posting a set of proposed rules in the hopes of addressing this issue and hopefully making people feel like they can participate here without being talked down to or talked over (among other things). I just havent had a chance to post them because I have been traveling for work.
I got a PM from mods refering to what I said about toning my critique down if it brought Elli pain. I am incredibly sorry for that and is now and henceforth way less harsh. I will also of course abide to rules of the forum. Kind of hard to keep track of though if I am not able to read them.

Last time I saw Xavier was in spring. It's not very easy to keep track of rule changes that has not been detailed or published, and are only refered to in long flamy threads a bit back. I am more than willing to give Xavier some slack in this regard.