14 Oct. 2019: What have you done?

Discuss the comic here!
Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Re: 14 Oct. 2019: What have you done?

Post by Tofu » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:10 pm

On the alignment cheat, I'm reserving judgement. I always found alignment to be a fixed foundation upon which all else rests, making it into a variable does not sit well with me and I'm not sure how I think of it, or on the mechanism needed to be found for removing captured souls from Kore. It's perplexing. A major puzzle piece revealed replaced by another equivalent puzzle.

Prediction - Kore off screen for next ~2 chapters while an adventure quest for soul extracting gear/skills/experience takes place. Trip to hell via Kore skull fissure to return Axe of Prissan is near last chapter. Big Ears changes name?

Furmanda
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Furmanda » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Typhlosaurus wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm What? Is no one going to talk about the explanation for Kore's alignment?

We've been waiting so long and I'm relieved to have one, but I'm not convinced that I like it. It feels like it's treating alignment as a property of the character, like strength or hit points, rather than being a description of the nature of the character like "funny but shy" or "driven by anger at the gods". That was rather the way I remember playing D&D as young teens and not the way I like to imagine we'd play it now.

Can someone make me feel better about this? I normally love both goblins plot twists and Eli's occasional moral philosophy speeches.
Frankly, I also think it's quite the nonsense, but I guess it's how it's gonna be, either blame the author or Herbert(?) that he lets such nonsense as "tapping into alignments" fly.
ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm Allowing Kore to subvert the rules on lawful good allows for a more interesting exploration of how far a supposedly-good person will go to achieve what they believe to be "good."
Subverting is not something that is even compatible with alignment. If you subvert lawful good you just become something else. Also feels rather unbuyable to me that retaining one's paladinhood would work on such a "token" view of lawfullgoodness instead of going imediatelly poof as a result of evil deeds done.

One way that would be more plausible would be if the Kore was actually a collection of those captured souls and when an evil deed was done, the evil souls in it would be used as the actor and the blame would be pinned on their conscience. Whereas when he wanted to use his paladin abilities, the good souls would be manifested to do it.

Still sounds completely bogus that the whole thing could retain paladin status and the passive abilities while bad parts are invoked to say slaughter little children or innocent bystanders. At best you could argue for his paladin abilities to go on and off as the souls switched...

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 pm

1. I very much dislike the alignment explanation also. I had hoped for a curse that changes Kore's perspective of things. Alignment should be aligned with your subjective experience (eg. for Good alignment an illusion of a maiden in distress would trigger rescue action, despite being an illusion).

Even more, I dislike the way the goblins are talking about it like it was a simple known parameter.

I wrote a long page about why I dislike it, but the more I thought about it, the more I accepted it is fitting the Goblins universe, so I deleted my rumblings. I guess its just less natural to us because we think of ourselves as having free-will, and alignment would derive of it. So this reversal of it being a known parameter that derives your actions is already very confusing and unnatural. Having this parameter being discussed and magically abused by Kore is a bit unnerving, but fits the story universe, much like the way they discuss HP, XP, levels, etc.

To accept Kore's magical use of the alignment parameter, think of it like it would work for collecting the class-magic from spirits - ie. Kore would gain druid-magic, mage-magic, cleric-magic, etc, from the different spirits he collected. This I find more natural than collecting alignments, however since alignment isn't derived by free-will here, they both make sense just the same.

2. How did BigEars cut his ears? He has the axe, but his axe would pass right through him, no? And even that is wrapped very well.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:45 pm

IIRC, the axe can be solid for him if he wants it to be.

I found this page disturbing, and I'm not sure if I"m more disturbed by Ears' new lack of ears, or by Kore putting on an alignment like it's a shirt. Will have to think more on this.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:46 pm

When I look at another D&D comic (Order of the stick), where deities are actual beings who watch what is happening on the mortal world to some extent (not omnisciently seeing everything that's going on, as was established when Loki distracted Hel, but more like a human would watch certain TV shows, but not know what's going on in other channels kind of way), and where the daily spells and general powers of clerics/paladins/what have you are granted by said actual beings and when I also think about the moment when Miko lost her paladin-affiliated powers, I cannot help but doubt that the deities of goblins would let themselves be fooled by Kore showing them another one's soul with the "right" alignment. It just feels weird that gods would allow themselves to be tricked that easily. "So, you wanna know if I'm worthy of your blessings? Here look at the spotless track record of ANOTHER being completely and give me my spells. Oh and make it quick, I got innocents to slaughter before breakfast." It just doesn't feel right to me.

But then again we don't know what deity Kore is "following", and from what little we have learned of Herbert (the only deity I remember even being mentioned/portrayed), he does seem to have some sort of humour (I'm just saying "cakewalk this" ;) ), so who knows what Kore's god would let slide or not.

Also, I really like the "light filter" explanation attempt, Kudos to Strawberrycocoa for coming up with that. :)

Oh, and Arrow: Ears didn't use the axe of Prissan to cut his ears, but the Axehole, most likely. And the axe of prissan would only pass through Ears body, if he wants it to. He can choose for it to be solid for him, as well.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Edgen
Remains Silent

Post by Edgen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:31 am

Wow, can't believe people are still argueing about Kore's alingment. Firstly, that "shifting alingment" nonsense can exist in this universe - its rules are made by Herbert, who is just another DM, and we all know that about 80% of players don't understand why do alignments exist and how they work. Secondly, I always wanted to write some thoughts about Kore's alingment and "paladin dilemma". I think Kore is LN. He thinks about Good as one side of a conflict and as the universal force and just chooses to remain on that side. He genuinely tries to eradicate all Evil, but shows no compassion to "good" people, which is essential for any G alignment. His willingness to achieve one goal, driven to the point of fanatism, is also common for LN.
And now its time for my big theory. Have you ever asked yourself, why Kore doesn't use detect evil? It is wonderful solution to many problems and would help him to work more efficiently. Some say he can be paladin and be nonLG because of curse. I think that it is because he isn't a paladin. I mean, at all. All we know about him that everybody calls him paladin and he has bright armor, which is a stereotipical attribute of paladins. There are many ways to fake Lay on hands effect, too.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:36 am

Furmanda wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:41 pm [... ]

And on the other hand, if he is so invincible, why would losing paladin status be game changer anyway, it should not make such a difference if he is a being that can survive split head and one half being torn off.
Ny thoughts as well. Would him losing his paladin status matter much anyways? He would not cast spells, sure. But how often has that mattered? Would he be less indestructable? Less stabby and less shooty? Would freeing souls (something they have no idea how to do) be easier than hunting him down now and bring that tumble sword up to 12? They are talking to Chief, sure. But Chief is also begging for release.

Also. The frame with Kore silently and out of character THUMPing away is pretty fun. With his glowing broken head and floppy arm. Love it.
ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm
Typhlosaurus wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm What? Is no one going to talk about the explanation for Kore's alignment?

We've been waiting so long and I'm relieved to have one, but I'm not convinced that I like it. It feels like it's treating alignment as a property of the character, like strength or hit points, rather than being a description of the nature of the character like "funny but shy" or "driven by anger at the gods". That was rather the way I remember playing D&D as young teens and not the way I like to imagine we'd play it now.

Can someone make me feel better about this? I normally love both goblins plot twists and Eli's occasional moral philosophy speeches.
It's possible that treating alignment as a property gives one more power to explore the nature of a character. Rather than constantly asking "Is this a lawful good action?" or "Technically I'm following the code, so it's okay", the question is "Would this character do this?" I think Kore may still be a complex representation of "good". He seems to believe that he is good, and that the beings he kills are evil and must be killed. Also, the flea demon hinted that Kore is "good", but he goes about doing it in a way that other good characters would disagree with. Allowing Kore to subvert the rules on lawful good allows for a more interesting exploration of how far a supposedly-good person will go to achieve what they believe to be "good."

But eh, we'll see how this pans out. Maybe Kore is just a mindless killing machine.

I would have prefered that as well. What is good? Slogging around the world destroying anything with a hint of evil? Sure. Why not? Or just leave it an open question. How does he keep his paladin status? Noone knows, now deal with this impending death murder machine coming after you.
Now it's somehow the key to everything, despite it being... years.. since anyone said anything about Kore's alignment? I think I remember two instances. The flea demon, and Young and Beautiful? Anyone else talked about it?
Something way more established is him chaining up souls to him. Everytime we see him unarmored, or when he pulls out his IME we're reminded. Chief being eternally tortured is a good enough reason for them to destroy him, without... yeah. This.

Furmanda wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Frankly, I also think it's quite the nonsense, but I guess it's how it's gonna be, either blame the author or Herbert(?) that he lets such nonsense as "tapping into alignments" fly.
ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm Allowing Kore to subvert the rules on lawful good allows for a more interesting exploration of how far a supposedly-good person will go to achieve what they believe to be "good."
Subverting is not something that is even compatible with alignment. If you subvert lawful good you just become something else. Also feels rather unbuyable to me that retaining one's paladinhood would work on such a "token" view of lawfullgoodness instead of going imediatelly poof as a result of evil deeds done.

One way that would be more plausible would be if the Kore was actually a collection of those captured souls and when an evil deed was done, the evil souls in it would be used as the actor and the blame would be pinned on their conscience. Whereas when he wanted to use his paladin abilities, the good souls would be manifested to do it.

Still sounds completely bogus that the whole thing could retain paladin status and the passive abilities while bad parts are invoked to say slaughter little children or innocent bystanders. At best you could argue for his paladin abilities to go on and off as the souls switched...
In my head canon it was due to the demon curse. Alright, you are not supposed to remain a Paladin. The Excalted one cursed him though. So thoroughly he could think. Not only did he curse him to slaughter things like this. He also cursed him to always remain a paladin. For every deed he would feel the yanks in the anchors, trying to pull his Paladin status away. He would continue to suffer, knowing he did something his god would not approve.
Or something like that.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 am

Edgen wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:31 am Wow, can't believe people are still argueing about Kore's alingment. Firstly, that "shifting alingment" nonsense can exist in this universe - its rules are made by Herbert, who is just another DM, and we all know that about 80% of players don't understand why do alignments exist and how they work. Secondly, I always wanted to write some thoughts about Kore's alingment and "paladin dilemma". I think Kore is LN. He thinks about Good as one side of a conflict and as the universal force and just chooses to remain on that side. He genuinely tries to eradicate all Evil, but shows no compassion to "good" people, which is essential for any G alignment. His willingness to achieve one goal, driven to the point of fanatism, is also common for LN.
And now its time for my big theory. Have you ever asked yourself, why Kore doesn't use detect evil? It is wonderful solution to many problems and would help him to work more efficiently. Some say he can be paladin and be nonLG because of curse. I think that it is because he isn't a paladin. I mean, at all. All we know about him that everybody calls him paladin and he has bright armor, which is a stereotipical attribute of paladins. There are many ways to fake Lay on hands effect, too.
Pretty hard to fake the Axe of Prissan going right through you.

But, then again, the Axe has had it's story changed already. Perhaps it has nothing really to do with Paladins at all, and just pass through some people, Ears and Kore included. Could be.

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Typhlosaurus wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm That was rather the way I remember playing D&D as young teens and not the way I like to imagine we'd play it now.
It's not like he's the only character who fits that discription, it's just the others have generally developed considerably over time, been used mostly as joke/exposition characters, and/or killed to possibly be replaced with other characters who seem to be played by the same people.

Even ignoring any uncertainty as to how much time has passed wherever the players are, or precisely how old most of them were to begin with, It'd make sense to me if that Kore is be the previous character of someone who decided that letting Herbert use them as an antagonist. In that case, he'd be an embodiment of that player's previous playstyle for the group to collectively overcome and defeat, which I'm sure could be pretty satisfying for them.

That, and it's not like we even know if all the players are in the same age group. Maybe he's actually played by someone so young that the group's mostly surprised they had the patience to do so much reading and put together a character sheed that intricate. In that case, Herbert might feel obliged to allow Kore mostly because he doesn't want to leave an impression that might discourage them from putting so much effort into creative play in general.

And actually, while I'm thinking of that, did Kore ever seem to show up for any of the same events as the characters played by those who were originally playing the drow? Or just in general any events that involved someone other than Kore doing anything that one might be wary of roleplaying around a nine year old?
Last edited by Gift Fastidious on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KracsNZ
Remains Silent

Post by KracsNZ » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:49 pm

I know its a shock to see Chief again, but my gawd, you'd have to be beyond stupid to let your greatest enemy just walk out of the room to recover. Should be "Zomgoogles! Chief!... screw you Kore" ...chop ...chop ...chop

Nina
Whispers Softly

D&D Alignments - Herbert rocks

Post by Nina » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi all! :)

Kore's alignment behavior feels very D&D like to me. When I played D&D, (admittedly a long time ago), alignment was a statistic that could be manipulated. Artifacts could change you EVIL. (I think that the Axe of the Dwarves Lords adventure had an alignment changing artifact.)

EDIT: Dug out my AD&D "Dungeon Master's Guide", 1977. On page 164, Table VI: Side Effects has effect: A) "Alignment of possessor permanently changed to that of item." So it is long established that Alignment in D&D is an attribute that can be changed like hit points, or level number.

While some DM's may say that alignment is generated by your moral choices, that seems a very fuzzy concept. In D&D you are LAWFUL GOOD, or CHAOTIC, or whatever. Where as in the real world, people are: "sorta good", or "kind, except to black people", or "law abiding, but thinks smuggling is ok", or "wild party animal, but serious about money".

Furthermore, it has been established that the DM, Herbert, is not the sharpest pencil in the sack of hammers.

;-D

Hugs, Nina.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: D&D Alignments - Herbert rocks

Post by Generic » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:29 am

Nina wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:27 pm Hi all! :)

Kore's alignment behavior feels very D&D like to me. When I played D&D, (admittedly a long time ago), alignment was a statistic that could be manipulated. Artifacts could change you EVIL. (I think that the Axe of the Dwarves Lords adventure had an alignment changing artifact.)

EDIT: Dug out my AD&D "Dungeon Master's Guide", 1977. On page 164, Table VI: Side Effects has effect: A) "Alignment of possessor permanently changed to that of item." So it is long established that Alignment in D&D is an attribute that can be changed like hit points, or level number.

While some DM's may say that alignment is generated by your moral choices, that seems a very fuzzy concept. In D&D you are LAWFUL GOOD, or CHAOTIC, or whatever. Where as in the real world, people are: "sorta good", or "kind, except to black people", or "law abiding, but thinks smuggling is ok", or "wild party animal, but serious about money".

Furthermore, it has been established that the DM, Herbert, is not the sharpest pencil in the sack of hammers.

;-D

Hugs, Nina.
Hi Nina!

I don't question how it's done. I think it's wierd however how they had this long hard fight, including self mutilation and Fumbles' Carrie moment, and finally has gotten the upper hand. And it turns out that, no. This is not the final showdown. Because of reasons. They might be winning, but to really win they gotta deal with something noone has spoken of in ages. So, better just let the monster that has your pals soul trapped in agony limp away (probably to get humiliated in the next dungeon gimmick he stumbles across) .
The problem is how the alignment thing is possible, I think, but that I have not been properly made to care. About his alignment or his adventurer class. Or about Kore at all for that matter. He is a one note kinda boring... Thing. He is not fun enough for yet another round of fighting him. Just kill him already!
That being said, him having another chat with Kin would be fun. I enjoyed that scene. It was fun seeing Kore being something else than a approaching wall of violent doom, and the scene had some nice tension with the handshake and all.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:38 am

GathersIngredients wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:46 pm Oh, and Arrow: Ears didn't use the axe of Prissan to cut his ears, but the Axehole, most likely. And the axe of prissan would only pass through Ears body, if he wants it to. He can choose for it to be solid for him, as well.
You are right, I forgot about the Axehole, it is perfect for the job and we've seen Ears holding it after the drop to the underground water.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:13 am

The whole alignment explanation doesn't work with the official rules for paladins anyway. In D&D there is objective Good and Evil (as well as Law and Chaos). A paladin doesn't follow a particular god, they follow the divine forces of Good and Law. That is the reason they need to be Lawful Good. If they ever change their alignment to anything else, they immediately lose paladin status; so if ever Kore used any of the other souls to appear as anything other than Lawful Good (as Chief implied), he would have lost his paladin status right then and there. This also goes for magical alignment changes, by the way.

Regardless of that, a paladin that willingly performs an evil act (say, murdering an innocent child, torturing a captive or imprisoning the souls of good creatures in eternal torment) will also immediately lose their paladin status. It doesn't matter whether they are still Lawful Good or not; in fact a single evil deed is usually not enough to shift your alignment. But committing an evil deed is enough to cause a paladin to fall. As such, it doesn't matter what alignment Kore appears as, his deeds are still evil and are not affected by his personal alignment. He should have fallen centuries ago.

Recovering the status as a paladin also isn't as simple as being Lawful Good; it can only be done through a specific spell (called atonement), that among other things requires the ex-paladin to genuinely repent and regret their deed(s). That is not something Kore will do, as he obviously doesn't think he did anything wrong.

Tl:dr version: Alignment is not enough to retain paladin status. Every single deed counts and is judged by the divine powers.

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 am

Strawberrycocoa wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:25 pm
Aegis J Hyena wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:38 pm So now Big Ears isn't big or even Ears anymore, is he?

The final panel makes it look like his head is hollow, much like Kore's is. This makes me worry a little.
I think Ellie is just mercifully sparing us the detailed rendition of seeing the insides of Ear's skull-goop.
No, that's just what flesh looks like beneath the skin. It's muscle fibres. No skull goop.

EcceVos
Remains Silent

Post by EcceVos » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm

In regards to Alignment: If chief is to be believed, which we don't really have anything else, so we might as well. Kore isn't picking and choosing what alignment he is at any point, he is every alignment and all alignments at the same time. Assuming of course he's killed someone of each alignment option and with thousands of souls inside him it's safe to assume he has.

So he always fulfills the requirement of being Lawful Good alignment to maintain Paladin status.

In regards to committing evil acts: of Which Kore has committed plenty including the slaughtering of children and the old and handicap we've seen in the comic. A paladin must willingly commit those evil acts. if they are ticked or mind controlled, or mislead, or cursed... to commit the evil acts the paladin would not lose their Paladin status. We know Kore is cursed everyone seems to know that except Kore, clearly these acts aren't be committed willingly by a dedicated and true paladin.

So he would not lose his paladin status over acts of evil due to his curse or possession or whatever is compelling him to eradicate all "evil".

In regards to my fan theory: One of the souls inside Kore must be his own, original paladin soul with Lawful Good alignment. Chief says that it hurts; they all must be suffering. Kore's own soul must be suffering the most. the guilt of meeting every individual he's responsible for killing being completely helpless to prevent it or stop it. And who loves suffering the most? feeds off that suffer? Especially the suffering of paladins who suffer more deeply and with greater guilt than all others. Demons

Icalasari
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Icalasari » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:51 pm

I checked with a DM friend of mine who has run sessions for decades (I'm not too well versed in DnD) - Apparently this CAN be pulled off, but the second the god or force of good or whoever figures it out, you are fucked in ways that make you *wish* your soul was erased

Considering Hubert is the almighty god of this world, I assume Kore is getting *really* lucky with Hubert not noticing, and when the DM *does* finally go, "...Wait a minute", things are going to go sideways for Kore and fast

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:42 pm

I buy the explanation specifically "because" he's a paladin. Paladin spells and abilities are much more mage like in that they tap a generalized power source. For a mage you could call it mana, for the paladin it's the etheric field which is the essence of good. So what he's doing is basically like a bad guy cutting off the scientists hand and using it on a sensor to get through a locked door. He can do it because the door isn't examining him, just the hand print. The reason the axe passed through him is because it didn't act based on his alignment but on his status as a paladin, and that status hadn't been revoked.

A cleric or druid could never pull it off because they talk directly to their god and the god grants them their spells.

MassivePumpkin
Remains Silent

Post by MassivePumpkin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:59 pm

Icalasari wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:51 pm
Considering Hubert is the almighty god of this world, I assume Kore is getting *really* lucky with Hubert not noticing, and when the DM *does* finally go, "...Wait a minute", things are going to go sideways for Kore and fast
I've been confused for a long time as to why so many people seem to think that Herbert is THE one and only Dungeon Master, the creator and almighty controller of this realm. I guess I've just always interpreted the godly title of "The Dungeon Master" as simply being a joke, not a serious reference to an actual DM who is sitting behind a screen in an outside realm and controlling each facet of this world on an individual basis.

We've only seen one person, throughout the entire comic, even acknowledge the existence of Herbert, and that's Forgath. No one else prays to him. There's no altars to him that we've seen. We've run across very few clerics in the midst of battle, who would call on their gods, but you'd think there'd be SOME other sign of him. The original adventuring party didn't even know who Forgath was praying to until the joke was explained. It's clear that, within this realm, Herbert IS a real god, but that doesn't mean much.

In contrast, there's multiple acknowledgements of Maglubiyet, the God of Goblins- Chief prays to him, Duv was chosen by him and had the wings to prove it, the GAP discuss making one of them Chief to ask for his intervention about the Axe. Couldn't the world just as easily be made by and controlled by him? It's a Goblin-centric comic, after all!

Heck, we see a lot of evidence that this world is doing stuff that goes outside of any one god's organized plan, right from the start. A goblin broke the rules and took magic items from the Poorly Locked Treasure Chest and used them against the raiding adventurer. He and his clanmates, who were supposed to be NPC low-level monsters that exist for no purpose other than being slaughtered by the exact kind of first-level adventurering party that Herbert himself put in their path, decide to become adventurers themselves. A goblin chieftainess digs a hole through the side of a mountain to bypass the proper entrance of a dungeon crawl. Junior was cut loose from his father and attacked a group of adventurers who weren't even able to roll for initiative to defend themselves. PsyMax manipulated the Maze of Many and tore holes in reality itself and now our arguably main character wields a weapon that may or may not technically exist. Kore... exists. A lot of things have been going wrong, by the rules of a D&D world.

Long story short, I really don't think Herbert, or any other Dungeon Master, is actually running diddlysquat in the Goblins realm at this point. Normal "the DM can allow/deny this" rule variations may very well not apply.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:40 am

yeah that's about what I was afraid of.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:52 am

Changes_everything wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 am
Strawberrycocoa wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:25 pm
Aegis J Hyena wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:38 pm So now Big Ears isn't big or even Ears anymore, is he?

The final panel makes it look like his head is hollow, much like Kore's is. This makes me worry a little.
I think Ellie is just mercifully sparing us the detailed rendition of seeing the insides of Ear's skull-goop.
No, that's just what flesh looks like beneath the skin. It's muscle fibres. No skull goop.
You take an axe-hole to the ear, twice, you indeed have skull-goop.

Frownsalot
Remains Silent

Post by Frownsalot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:04 am

Kore needs to maintain paladin status to properly use the axe.
That's why they would want to remove the souls to make him fall.

Why and how he retains it anyway with his actions.. myeah >.<

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:29 am

Icalasari wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:51 pm I checked with a DM friend of mine who has run sessions for decades (I'm not too well versed in DnD) - Apparently this CAN be pulled off, but the second the god or force of good or whoever figures it out, you are fucked in ways that make you *wish* your soul was erased

Today is a sunny day...

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:49 am

How about a little healing for Ears? If stab wounds get completely healed, how about losses of parts - wouldn't they regrow?
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:19 am

Frownsalot wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:04 am Kore needs to maintain paladin status to properly use the axe.
That's why they would want to remove the souls to make him fall.

Why and how he retains it anyway with his actions.. myeah >.<
I guess he needs to be alive to properly use the axe as well. That is very fixable right now.