D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:24 am

Kryz looks confused at Saca's yelling at him.

"You healed me... Why? I thought I... Actually I have no idea what happened."

((I guess losing all your hp in surprise round one will probably be confusing :lol: ))

To Aimee: "I'll come with you."

If Saca decides to go inside too, he'll change his mind and stay with the cart.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:25 am

Aimee whispers to Kryz ((if they are the ones going in)),

"Think we can get some more money for fighting off the goblins and finding Gundren's horse? I'm pretty good at convincing people to do stuff."

Aimee enters Barthen's Provisions and looks for someone that looks like they would be Barthen or works there.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:58 am

"Yes, I healed you. How convenient for you to remember things well enough that you try and warn us about an ambush when you woke back up, but not well enough to figure you got knocked out and needed medical aid after two goblins tried to - and didn't succeed too badly, either - turn you into a kebab. And the dead goblins, rusty scimtars and arrows sticking out of your travelling companions all just are figments of your imagination, I suppose? Alright, if that's the attitude you're going to sport, I guess next time you are downed I will get to satisfy my scientific curiosity because then I'll just leave you to our two academics here. I'm curious to find out if they are actually going to help you, or slice you up further, in an attempt to find out where your sparks are coming from." Saca continues to grumble in reply to Kryz' "obliviousness".
"Now get your scaly butt off the seat, I need some rest, preferably before we reach our destination."

(Thinks, this all happens back before the last leg of the journey, so it would be superb if you could let me know whether or not Kryz vacates the spot on the wagon for her, so I'll know if she can get a short rest in before reaching Phandelver or not.
Also, she's not yelling, "just" grumbling. ;)
And this is nothing personal, neither against you nor Kryz. :D
Saca does put quite some value on appreciation, though, and right now she's pretty unhappy with the prospect of possibly not getting paid, because their employer might be missing and/or dead, so that's not helping.)

In town, she shrugs at Aimee and says: "Gundren was disinclined to offer any bonus for additionally performed tasks when I asked him in the inn, so good luck. Perhaps he has a change of heart, now that his own neck might be at stake..." and winks at her good-naturedly.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:04 am

Kryz looks blank.

"Well I didn't know that! I was just looking at a horse and then something hit me on the head and then you were shaking me awake. Used to happen all the time when I started at sea, and noone needed healing...

But thank you for using your magical powers to help me, I guess I owe you one."

He spits something sticky into his palm and offers his hand to Saca to shake it.

He then gets up and leaves her his seat, and will avoid her for the rest of the day if she seems like she's still being grumpy.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:28 am

Absently, from the back of the wagon as Kryz is getting a piece of Saca's mind,

"Mmm. Love a kebab!"

She turns a page and tunes back out.
----
Aimee grins back at Saca as she goes in,

"From what I've read mortal peril is a great motivator!"

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am

"Oh." Saca is a little surprised by the sudden change in attitude - or rather perceived attitude as it were - and the spit into hand then offer to shake gesture, but she takes his hand and shakes it heartily. "You're welcome. I guess you're alright, after all." She admits and smiles at him. "Thanks for the seat."

Once he's off the cart she will covertly offer whatever is sticking to her hand to Cal and Aimee. "Any of you want this?" and either pass it on - if they are interested - or subtly clean it off her hand.

"Yeah, that's what I've heard, too. Still, luck never hurt anyone..."
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:24 am

It's snot.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Balin just shakes his head and after stowing his shield and hammer heads into the building.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:41 pm

((What! Balin doesn't trust Aimee and Kryz with this? :P))

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:08 am

(( Mr. By-the-rules is going to be feeling obligated to make sure things get done the way they're supposed to. Particularly since the others have made it clear that they don't share the same attitude. There's a reason why I typically play NG. They're much more pragmatic/flexible. :P ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:44 am

Calrick will collect the dragonborn sample from Saca with gratitude, and study its properties.

He's not quite sure what to make of it, and it's not nearly as interesting as he'd hoped (not even a tingle of lightning!). He scrapes it off on the side of the wagon.

Investigation: Dragonborn sample: 1D20+5 = [4]+5 = 9

Calrick and Lewis guard the cart, the gnome lounging in the seat idly kicking his feet, eyes rolled back while watching the street from the owl's perspective where he perches on a roof.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:28 pm

Saca, Aimee, Balin, and Kriz, all go inside Barthen's Provisions. It is clearly one of the biggest buildings you can see in town. As they walk inside, they are met with an almost impressive array of goods available. Nothing compared to what can be purchased in the average Neverwinter store, but for this far out, it has all the basics and then some.

The group is greeted by a jolly sounding voice, booming from the back of the shop. Hullo! Travelers I take it? I don't remember you from around here, and I have a very good memory. The shopkeep, presumably the Barthen of Barthen's Provisions, strolls over to meet the group. Now, what can I do for ye?

Meanwhile, Calrick, pretending to be asleep on the cart, notices some of the townfolk staring, some seemingly at the gnome in curiosity, and some at the cart full of supplies, seemingly left to the tired guard.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:50 pm

"Hi I'm Aimee and we are the guards for Gundren's stuff. We guarded it and it is out there!" Aimee points outside.

"He said we would be paid when we got here with the stuff and here we are!" She sticks out her hand for said payment already scanning the store with a big grin.

Looking for armor: 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14

"OH! We also found Gundren's and Sildar's horses dead a couple hours up the road. They weren't there, Gundren and Sildar weren't, the dead horses were. And some goblins but they were alive and now they are dead, mostly! Both the goblins and the horses, maybe Gundren and Sildar too." Her hand is still out for the money, following the shopkeep's movements.

((Aimee wants to see if Barthen has any armor for sale.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:03 am

If any one gets close to the cart, Calrick will wave at them and greet them while still reclining, unnervingly observant for not looking right at them.

((Cal has rather poor eyesight, as part of his -1 Perception, so often uses Lewis to compensate, even using the owl when he's misplaced his spectacles (which are usually in his head or in his pocket). It's also handy for messing with people, and he certainly has a streak of gnomish prankster.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:34 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:03 am (which are usually in his head or in his pocket)
((Ouch :lol: ))

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:40 am

(Saca isn't going inside, she's staying with the cart. The conversation with Kryz happened earlier, before the last leg of the journey.
And the one with Aimee happened before she - Aimee - went inside.)
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 am

Balin sighs and steps forward. "We were hired to deliver supplies here by Gundren. We've just arrived with the cargo intact despite an ambush by goblins. Is Gundren here? We came across two dead horses that looked to belong to him and his body guard. It looks like the same goblins that ambushed us may have killed his mounts. Also, is there anyone to take delivery of our cargo?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:41 am

Kryz is rather taken aback by the brusque way in which his companions seem to want to do business, gives Barthen an apologetic look and stays at the back.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:43 am

"Yes, exactly mostly what I said!"

Hand is still outstretched palm up, she closes and opens her fingers rapidly in the hand gesture for give it to me.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:49 am

Kryz looks rather embarrassed by the money-grubbing and starts looking at the shelves nearby (standing still, just awkwardly looking somewhere else).

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Saca sits down on the back end of the cart again, pulls out her hatchet and begins to hone the blade with her whetstone in a seemingly absent-minded way.

(I know it's not meant for fighting and if onlookers catch that, it probably lessens the threatening effect quite a bit, but you can't sharpen a warhammer, can you? ^^)
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:07 pm

((Can always clean the blood off and polish it with a rag! Hard for Calrick to be casually threatening, so he's settling for off-putting and odd.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Balin reaches out and gently pushes Aimee's hand down. "Let's see if our employer is here first. There are more important things than gold."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:50 am

Aimee looks confused but positive!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Aimee, Balin, Kryz

"Hi I'm Aimee and we are the guards for Gundren's stuff. We guarded it and it is out there!"

"He said we would be paid when we got here with the stuff and here we are!"

Barthen looks a little unsure for a moment, before Aimee continues on.

"OH! We also found Gundren's and Sildar's horses dead a couple hours up the road. They weren't there, Gundren and Sildar weren't, the dead horses were. And some goblins but they were alive and now they are dead, mostly! Both the goblins and the horses, maybe Gundren and Sildar too."

Wait, you found their horses on the trail? Did you find their bodies too? Or anything else? I am happy to hear you survived the Goblin attack, but dismayed to inform you that they have not shown up.

"We were hired to deliver supplies here by Gundren. We've just arrived with the cargo intact despite an ambush by goblins. Is Gundren here? We came across two dead horses that looked to belong to him and his body guard. It looks like the same goblins that ambushed us may have killed his mounts. Also, is there anyone to take delivery of our cargo?"

Barthen rubs his hands through his somewhat balding hair. Oh no! I thought Sildar could take care of it. Barthen starts ringing his hands. Oh no, oh no. I'm sorry. The Rockseeker brothers, and Gundren especially have been good to us. I consider him a personal friend. He was going to put Phandalin back on the map! But now, oh no. What am I to tell his brothers! You have to find them, you must!

Calrick, Saca

As Saca sits on the back of the cart sharpening her handaxe, and Calrick sits up at the front, for a moment all seems quiet in the village. Then, two young boys wearing grubby clothing come out from the crowd, jump on the cart's wheels, and start rooting around the cargo, looking at what's there.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett