To Kill a Yak, From 200 Yards Away, WITH MIND BULLETS! (May 20, 2019)

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

To Kill a Yak, From 200 Yards Away, WITH MIND BULLETS! (May 20, 2019)

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon May 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Big Ears solves our staff problem, sorta; and Fumbles needs to listen to more Jack Black.

Of course, it be more fitting if he was asking about telekinesis, but The References Must Flow.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: To Kill a Yak, From 200 Yards Away, WITH MIND BULLETS! (May 20, 2019)

Post by redfeather » Mon May 20, 2019 4:34 pm

What?

Gift Fastidious
Whispers Softly

Post by Gift Fastidious » Mon May 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Levitation is what you use to make bread dough get fluffy.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 pm

That's telekinesis, Kyle. How 'bout the power to move you?

Anyone else remember any levitation potion, or is this a 'say it with confidence and maybe the DM won't say no' situation?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

20 May 2019: Where did you get this title from?

Post by Krulle » Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 pmAnyone else remember any levitation potion, or is this a 'say it with confidence and maybe the DM won't say no' situation?
It had been identified by "the loot wall" with the LOL Pearl:
http://www.goblinscomic.org/comic/04032017-2/

I don't remember where he got it from, apparently not from the Loot wall...

Anyone got the impression of a big button on a pillar next to the giant golem?
Guessing that's the switch-off button for the Golem....

[edit]Pasting something from a different thread here:
WearsHats wrote:
Krulle wrote:- [...] And where and when did Fumbles collect this phial?
Fumbles found the staff (with the vial attached) outside the vine room early in this dungeon.
(also corrected link to new format)

My bad memory allows me to train my google-fu regularly. :P [/edit]
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 am

Great. More aimless wandering. I thought everyone had to much purpose for a bit there.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Zeus1976
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Zeus1976 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:06 am

I get the feeling fumbles will pour the potion on himself

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 am

WearsHats has a strange definition of "outside", that's clearly just inside the vine-room, by the exit to the mind-reading cavern.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 21, 2019 4:50 am

Zeus1976 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:06 am I get the feeling fumbles will pour the potion on himself
Or on his mustache.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 am WearsHats has a strange definition of "outside", that's clearly just inside the vine-room, by the exit to the mind-reading cavern.
He found it off panel, I'd assumed just before entering the room. But I suppose it could have been on the floor of that room. Whatever. That's the page where it first appeared. And, yes, it was identified by the loot wall. Good thing the rest of us pay attention to what happens in the comic.
Generic wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 am Great. More aimless wandering. I thought everyone had to much purpose for a bit there.
If you're not enjoying it, you don't have to read. Or tell us.

But, yeah, it turns out that exploring a dungeon (even when you have an important driving purpose) involves wandering through places you've never been, trying to figure out how to get through. Go figure. I'm finding it interesting.

I wonder how Minmax is going to handle being left alone up there - rejoin the GAP (which means diving off the cliff left by the broken stairs) or try to get across where the stairs used to be so he can get to Kin? If only he had some way to levitate...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: 20 May 2019: Where did you get this title from?

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Krulle wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 am

Looks like a helmet. Helmet that let's you control the golem?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 pm

So this is awful, right?

Make item levitate-enabled. Hold it. Float up. Reach ceiling. Push along ceiling laterally to get back to opening and float through. Drop thing back down to the others and repeat with the next person (assuming they don't just have 9000 feet of rope, like most adventurers that they could trail behind the first person to make the journey up to Minmax).

All of that with Kore being down there and the floater glowing like a beacon.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 pm

That's a nice way to use the levitation item, IF it allowed that much upward movement. From what I understand -and a card may or may not back me up on this- the levitation is strictly "in place".
WearsHats wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm
BuildsLegos wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 amWearsHats has a strange definition of "outside", that's clearly just inside the vine-room, by the exit to the mind-reading cavern.
He found it off panel, I'd assumed just before entering the room. But I suppose it could have been on the floor of that room. Whatever. That's the page where it first appeared. And, yes, it was identified by the loot wall. Good thing the rest of us pay attention to what happens in the comic.

I wonder how Minmax is going to handle being left alone up there - rejoin the GAP (which means diving off the cliff left by the broken stairs) or try to get across where the stairs used to be so he can get to Kin? If only he had some way to levitate...
Before grabbing the staff, Fumbles was last seen cheering Thaco from the vines and unable to escape because he's yet to find it. On the page already linked, no assumption is needed: Fumbles proudly announces he found a staff, his very first step thereafter compels him to grab a vine to avoid falling flat on his face (which can only be accomplished in the vine-room, go figure), and Minmax tries his darnedest to pull Fumbles through the doorway. Although its a minor detail rather than outright falsehoods of previous updates, this is indeed what my silly exaggeration of a boast refers to.

To both posts: Even pro-Minmax goblins will probably agree getting back to him isn't worth the trouble. Their highest priorities are avoid Kore, fallowed closely by get out and finish their homecoming. And I would quit reading for sure if Thunt pulled a GoT-s8 caliber twist and have Minmax ditch Kin to her claustrophobic fate. (while she's watching through Parchment, no less) He has, out of desperation, become good pals with 1 goblin and seems to think of the rest of them as "the wrong crowd". Once they're settled into their reunion, Kin might agree to help Minmax find the goblins for whichever reason is on his mind (and she's even more likely to make him understand his folly) or she might ask him to help finish her own quest. That is, there's no way she got the Jade Teapot home so fast and I'm still 99.100% certain she stashed it somewhere safe.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 pm

He found it off-panel, yes.
And to me it looks like they already are through the door, out of the vine-room. Whether Fumbles saw it inside (where someone dropped it when the vines grabbed the adventurer), or outside, doesn't really matter.
And it looks to me like the vines reach through the passageway, even blurring the definition of "inside/outside" more.

speakslittle wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:55 pmMake item levitate-enabled. Hold it. Float up. Reach ceiling. Push along ceiling laterally to get back to opening and float through. Drop thing back down to the others and repeat with the next person (assuming they don't just have 9000 feet of rope, like most adventurers that they could trail behind the first person to make the journey up to Minmax).
Nope, won't work. Read the "Loot Wall" explanation:
Wall of Knowledge wrote: This single use potion can permanently enchant an item, causing that item to grant limited bursts of `levitation' to any individual in contact with it. This potion is meant to be poured onto a wearable item like a ring, so that it can be easily kept in contact with the individual. While levitating, the enchanted item will ignite into magical flames that don't radiate any heat.
Limited bursts of `levitation´ does NOT sound like giving the ability to float 50m straight upwards. Nor of continuous levitation.
Sounds more like jumping, and staying in the air for a second longer than by mere personal jump strength.
But sounds like you can have another bursts immediately again.
So, a monk or agile fighter could maybe jump from wall to wall upwards, if the walls are close enough.

Also, "levitation" has always been identified not as real " levitation ", but as " `levitation´ ", further indicating a weaker form of true levitation.

How it will work once you activate it?
I would not know before seeing it happen in-comic, but I fear that soon they will need to be hiding in a dark room, and that Fumbles' glowing staff will give them away.

Question: if the enchanted item is stored in the Ring of Storage, and therefore carried by a person, will the enchantment still work?
Or does the wearer have to make sure to be "in contact", i.e. touching it through the ring-opening? That may allow for some very interesting effects, if you have multiple enchanted items and can touch them by will with the finger through the storage ring...

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 22, 2019 1:17 am

Again, I don't think it matters whether the staff was in the vine room or adjacent to it. I don't know why Legos felt compelled to write a post solely to nitpick my reading of an off-panel event. The question was where he got it. The page with the relevant information was linked. We can move on.

As for levitation...
3.5e SRD wrote:Levitate allows you to move yourself, another creature, or an object up and down as you wish. A creature must be willing to be levitated, and an object must be unattended or possessed by a willing creature. You can mentally direct the recipient to move up or down as much as 20 feet each round; doing so is a move action. You cannot move the recipient horizontally, but the recipient could clamber along the face of a cliff, for example, or push against a ceiling to move laterally (generally at half its base land speed).

A levitating creature that attacks with a melee or ranged weapon finds itself increasingly unstable; the first attack has a –1 penalty on attack rolls, the second –2, and so on, to a maximum penalty of –5. A full round spent stabilizing allows the creature to begin again at –1.
That's the spell. An item such as a pair of Boots of Levitation would work the same way. Likely, the potion would, too, with the limitations being duration and number of charges.

(Not to be confused with Air Walk, which allows you to walk horizontally on air, at up to a 45° incline if you so choose. That would be more helpful in Minmax's current situation.)

I do like the idea of using it on SVK's mustache. That's a good call.

I'm kind of surprised that the rest of the GAP wasn't more interested in Fumbles mentioning levitation. I guess they're kind of used to tuning him out while they make serious plans, but it seems like it might be useful in their current predicament. They are, after all, trying to get to Kin, who is nearby and closer to the level Minmax is on than the one they just splashed down in.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed May 22, 2019 5:08 am

Why wouldn't I nit-pick wording, when pedantic attention to detail is half the reason I read this comic?
BuildsLegos wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 pmEven pro-Minmax goblins will probably agree getting back to him isn't worth the trouble. Their highest priorities are avoid Kore, fallowed closely by get out and finish their homecoming.
I can't possibly imagine the goblins will put any effort into getting back on track; literally any Koreless path to the exit is fine by them and they only agreed to fallow Minmax because he's good muscle and gets along with the resident clutz.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed May 22, 2019 9:45 am

WearsHats wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm If you're not enjoying it, you don't have to read. Or tell us.
How sweet of you. Thanks for the tip.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:08 pm
Krulle wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 am

Looks like a helmet. Helmet that let's you control the golem?
I think you might be right. The nose guard has the same symbol.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu May 23, 2019 6:56 am

► Show Spoiler
Sorry, please go on with your discussions.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Sat May 25, 2019 7:47 pm

Stealing Krulle's spoiler structure, there's more on Twitter today.
► Show Spoiler
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun May 26, 2019 1:41 am

yeah, I liked that one when I saw it this morning.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 26, 2019 8:34 am

Spoilered for your safety.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Mon May 27, 2019 2:15 pm

Don't know whether to consider him dumb or courageous. The two are often alike.

In the future, though, they need to consider tying him up much of the time. No one else would have triggered the stairway destruction.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:23 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:50 am
Zeus1976 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:06 am I get the feeling fumbles will pour the potion on himself
Or on his mustache.
This is looking like a distinct possibility... :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:22 pm

You just needed to point out you called it?

Well done!

;)

(And indeed it looks like he thought about putting it on his staff and decided against it, in favour of the moustache.)