The Heist - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Heist - OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 am

Right... But we aren't necessarily robbing a bank, right? Like, we could do that, or we could rob the auction house which presumably has fewer vaults.

It's getting towards night now, I guess? Jax will probably go and scope the auction place / Carmichael mansion in the morning since we don't have a way into the fancy ball. I feel like we have a lot of leads but nothing particularly solid and time is marching on.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 am

I'd say it's only mid-late afternoon for you guys, actually. Still a half-dozen hours or so until night-time.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:51 am

Can we rob the auction place..? By the sound of things the stuff we're supposed to steal isn't gonna leave the vault until it's being sent overseas or such, at which point it'll be heavily guarded (though realistically might still be more manageable tbf)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:58 am

I assumed they'd bring it out for the auction like usually happens. It'd be heavily guarded obviously, but even rich buyers want to see what they're getting, right? Unless I misunderstood of course.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 am

My impression was the items in question were essentially already bought by whomever these people might be, but I might be wrong.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:15 am

As far as I can remember*, the only information you guys have is that the items are probably being sold off to "some elves from over the pond", and that it'll be happening "soonish". You're completely blind on the exact where/when this sale might be happening, or even if its already occurred.

((*feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here :lol: ))
thinkslogically wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 am ((Ok, I need a quick reminder of what Jax :) Based on what he knows so far about the various people in the Carmichael family and wealthy folks in general, what would Jax think is his best disguise option for approaching the place? Or would he need to go and scope it out a bit first? He met that coachman a few days ago... That might be a way in I guess? Need a roll for him?))
Sure, gimme a straight INT roll.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:43 am

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:46 pm

...I just realised how low your collective intelligence is. Uragh and Kytiel are joint highest at...11 :lol:

But anyway! Jax figures that he's got a couple of options; there's the rich fancyman clothes that are common around that part of town, naturally. But people like the Carmichael's will also have plenty of servants and guards wandering around the place. Disguising himself as any of them would probably work fine, if he just wants to pass a cursory inspection.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Uragh... Smart?

...Hmmmmmmmmmmm

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:59 am

I also just want to let you guys know, if Vatro suggests they could just make more gunpowder by searching around in shit for one of the ingredients... He's gonna suggest just buying it now he's found a seller instead. :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:05 am

Yeah, I am inclined to not chase down more of it right now.

Jax will disguise himself as a smartly-dressed servant, and head off to scope out the ball venue.

Disguise kit: 1d20+3 = [15] = 18

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:48 pm

I should note that Mort's roller seems to list die results in descending order, so if you want to roll a d6 on a per-round basis, you should probably roll 1d6;1d6;1d6 etc. instead of just 10d6.

If you want me to randomize my results for Healing Spirit or re-roll, Dusk, let me know.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:52 pm

Yeah, it's a sad limitation of the module I used to make those rolls.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

If you could randomize them that would be good.

Also I'm assuming you're moving it between you and Kytiel so he gets the heals too? :P

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Hmm... Mort is there an easy way to use your roller for randomizing a list of numbers? :shifty: The randomizers I can find don't generate links.

Otherwise, here's what I got when I randomized the number, though I can't prove it:
► Show Spoiler
And if that's what it takes to share the healing, sure. Healing Spirit specifies it heals things in a 5-foot cube, though, so I don't see a reason why Veska and Kytiel couldn't stand that close outside of combat.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Afraid not, really!

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:42 pm

That's fine, I trust you :P

And it doesn't really make a difference. As long as you touch the spirit every six seconds, you get the full effects. Which is pretty nuts compared to other healing spells (e.g. Prayer of Healing), but you guys don't have any other healer and you've got max two uses per day, so I feel it's fair ;)

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 pm

Also, can you roll for Kytiel as well? Assuming he joins in.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:50 pm

Yeah it's not super useful in combat, being a Concentration spell that only heals 1d6 per round. Out of combat, though, it's amazing! And it doesn't factor in spellcasting modifiers, which is good because Veska's is +0.

For Kytiel:
Healing Spirit for Kytiel:
1d6 = [6] = 6
1d6 = [6] = 6
1d6 = [4] = 4
1d6 = [6] = 6
1d6 = [5] = 5
1d6 = [3] = 3
1d6 = [2] = 2
1d6 = [4] = 4
1d6 = [4] = 4
1d6 = [6] = 6

46 total, so he should be healed to full should the full minute go by without incident :shifty:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:42 pm

Also note that, since the Stalactite's got a Surprise round, you don't get the bonuses from Dread Ambusher. This is technically the second combat round, as you spent your first round being Surprised.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:55 pm

D&D wrote:Suffocating
A creature can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to 1 + its Constitution modifier (minimum of 30 seconds).

When a creature runs out of breath or is choking, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 Hit Points and is dying, and it can’t regain Hit Points or be stabilized until it can breathe again.

For example, a creature with a Constitution of 14 can hold its breath for 3 minutes. If it starts suffocating, it has 2 rounds to reach air before it drops to 0 Hit Points.
Sooo... is Kytiel able to hold his breath and have 3 minutes left, or did it catch him on an exhale and he's currently suffocating and 12 seconds away from death?

If the former, does being unable to breath prevent casting of verbal components? Or does it put him on the 2 round suffocating clock since he's no longer holding his breath?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Annoyingly, there aren't any good clear rules on this. And my attempts to homerule something just got overly complicated.

So in this case, since you were Surprised, I'm probably going to rule that you didn't have time to catch your breath. Not that it ended up mattering :roll: :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Ok, sounds good to me.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Concentration check in Stalactite fight:
1d20+2 = [16] = 18
1d20+2 = [15] = 17

The Healing Spirit's still up, so we heal a bit every time we enter its space or start our turn there.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:40 pm

Who's space is it currently in? Since you can't both be in the same space.