The Sundered Way - OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: The Sundered Way - OOC

Post by Theis2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:11 pm

How much would Tess have told about the anello family to Holger during "down time"? I know she mentioned the dagger and the dead guy it belonged to at the blight fortress, but don't think more have come up from it in game since then.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 pm

She would have told him what she knows about it. Possibly Ulmwin too. The others... Well, she's not sure they'd understand or approve.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Can I retroactively say Randy brought his vestments along, just in case he needed them? :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:55 pm

I'm assuming you all have back packs with whatever you keep in your inventories. It was really only the loot that was being taken to sell later that would have over encumbered you.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:06 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 pm I've added Nem's ring of acceleration to the app sheet, but if someone wants to chuck it on her Google doc I'd appreciate it. I've got the details noted already :)
Thinks, I wouldn't mind doing this but I'm not sure where on the app sheet you have it? Not the loot page that I can see or Tess's page? Probably missing it somewhere obvious.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:12 pm

I think app sheet =/= google sheet?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Yeah the app is on my phone :) I was just going to copy the info from the game thread at some point.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Because I think they probably would have briefed you guys in the meantime, I've posted in spoilers at the bottom of this post what occurred with those who went into Kreldoran's tower first.

If I missed something you want me to hide from prying eyes, let me know.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 pm

:chuckle:
I find the irony of the situation quite amusing! I think that Holger forgot that Randy IS familiar with cities. Capital cities to be precise. He's just not real fond of them. Doesn't mean he can't integrate/infiltrate into them! :D

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 am

Spider, the map in the first post of OOC seems to be cut off so we can't see the most western parts

I don't think Holger was ever told Randy have done anything in cities and all he's gotten to see have been Randy in circle vale and low key threatening a guard over dwarf jokes :P
Also Holger never tries to infiltrate or go by as one of the people. He's Holger Starwind! He needs to stand out for all to see! :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:27 am

Yeah I had no idea Randy was a city guy. I thought he was all remote temples and wilderness :) he's certainly acting like it!

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:34 am

He prefers the countryside. Less crowded, less noise..., less chance of a courtier planting one in your back because you snooped where you're not welcome. :paranoia:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 am

Lol! Ok, see now the idea of Randy hanging out with courtiers is just hilarious :lol:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:58 am

Acceleration ring has been added to the loot page and is in Tess inventory! Whatever she got from the dancing ghost lady is not as I don't want to spoil it for myself. Would be good to know if it was attuned though as it would fill up Tess's last attunement slot.

Also removed the platinum wire ball from Tess's inventory.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 am

thinkslogically wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 am Lol! Ok, see now the idea of Randy hanging out with courtiers is just hilarious :lol:
Think of a Timothy Dalton James Bond in a bad mood, then put him in Renaissance France. This is one area where he and his superiors agree: Keep him out of the Court scene as much as possible. :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 am

Yeah, so I don't think Holger's concerns about Randy's city behaviour are unjustified :P

I don't think the necklace needed attunement, but will check when I have time. Thanks for switching my stuff out!

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:22 am

So with a little luck, by the time the rest of the party shows at the inn, Randy will have arranged rooms and we can use it as a base while figuring out 1) what happened to the apprentice and the item (unless Holger hits a home run with the guards and finds out immediately), 2) retrieve said apprentice and item, 3) figure a way back to the tower (preferably not being chased by a lynch mob with pitch forks and torches. :P ) Randy is going to hold off questioning the inn keeper until someone else is there and we can get her somewhat isolated (just in case it turns into something 'sensitive' where she's reluctant to talk).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 am

So a question mostly from curiosity and somewhat cuz I'm working on fleshing out a setting, but how do the gods work in 5th edition, in general? I've only found references to something called "gods of the multiverse", but that is evidently not everything/not correct, which I can tell because Randy's favorite Obad-Hai is not in there. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 am

In general? The back of the PHB has a list of Forgotten Realms (and other settings) D&D gods, as well as some based on earth history.

That being said, the DM could allow all or none of the published gods to exist in the game, though generally speaking, the various gods are who grant divine magics, though the general sense is that said granting is more passive than active (ie, more on the cleric to find it within themselves to utilize the spells their deity can confer on them than them submitting a request form to their god every morning).

I've opted for an 'everyone can play' approach to the gods, though I don't think I was interested or any of you guys were much interested in worshiping earth pantheons, so at this point I don't have any intent for Zeus or Loki to show up.

We've also had a few non-WotC published entities show up as gods in this game, besides the All Mother, I think there might have been a few dragon gods that Burns name dropped? Not sure if those were something he got from D&D stuff, elsewhere, or just invented. It can also be super flavorful to limit the pantheon, though you'd want to communicate that to your players in advance, I played in a game (sorcerer warlock tiefling charlatan) where it was an abstracted monotheistic society.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 am

I don't think there are any rules related to gods except they grant magic to cleric and paladins.

You could always seek inspiration from 3.5 as there is a supplemental book on gods and demigods. A bad idea stat wise as they belong to epic levela (20+) and 5e works very differently at balancing higher levels
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:59 am

I see, that's some help, even if the answer seems to be "Whatever you want it to be" :P

Though with that I do think I know what I'm gonna do, and it's basically a ripoff from you... I'll introduce a couple gods of my own design to set a couple "cornerstones", and besides that say the actual players are allowed to bring in whatever gods they want to the picture... As long as I get a headsup and they don't actually expect those gods to play a role. :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 pm

I think having the pantheon as an otherworldly, nebulous thing is pretty cool for campaigns too. So many classes and races have elements that may or may not be of divine origin, with patrons (or basically any powerful monster) being potential Elder / Pretender gods as needed as the campaign develops. Not that a rigid, more "hands-on" pantheon couldn't also be really cool of course, but frankly, it involves a LOT of extra world building to pull off when the players may not even necessarily notice/care.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm

And needs more player buy in up front.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Yes that too. And maybe it's just my players but I've never had a group where there wasn't at least one who just wanted to misbehave and wouldn't have given two hoots about gods and the like haha :)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:52 am

May be scrambling a bit today. Got a full clinic and some nasty weather moving in, ice/sleet/snow mix. We'll see how this plays out.