January 20th, 2019: "I might have lied before..."

Discuss the comic here!
Alarikun
Of Few Words

January 20th, 2019: "I might have lied before..."

Post by Alarikun » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 pm

Permalink: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-2-2019

Well... this makes me nervous, and optimistic.

See, prophecy says that Dwarf will kill him. Well, Idle is apparently a Dwarf... and she's giving him the poison. Could be arguably a fulfillment of the prophecy in question.

Still nervous, though...

eleras
Remains Silent

Re: January 20th, 2019: "I might have lied before..."

Post by eleras » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:14 pm

I'm not crying, you're crying. For real though, this makes me incredibly sad. I hope their idea works.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Interesting.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:54 pm

I thought he'd die in battle with another Dwarf?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:47 am

Alarikun wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 pm Permalink: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-2-2019

See, prophecy says that Dwarf will kill him. Well, Idle is apparently a Dwarf... and she's giving him the poison. Could be arguably a fulfillment of the prophecy in question.

Still nervous, though...
No. Profecy does not say anything about a dwarf killing him. "A great battle with another dwarf" I think the wording goes.

On another note: Holy bananas! This came out of the left field. I guess there is still hope for Forgath then, as it can turn out he has been an elf this whole time.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Arrow
Whispers Softly

Post by Arrow » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:11 am

God I so want to see the next page
I'm going refresh every 20 minutes from now on until the next update

TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:20 am

Arrow wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:11 am God I so want to see the next page
You'll be refreshing an average of 1125 times, apparently (quick calculation of 320 pages in about 5000 days since the start (WHAAAAAT almost 5000 days since the very first page of Goblins got published, we'll reach that milestone March 4th 2019!!)) if we calculate the average speed at which pages appear here. Have fun!

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Post by Orzahn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:29 am

Generic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:47 am
Alarikun wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 pm Permalink: http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-2-2019

Still nervous, though...
No. Profecy does not say anything about a dwarf killing him. "A great battle with another dwarf" I think the wording goes.

On another note: Holy bananas! This came out of the left field. I guess there is still hope for Forgath then, as it can turn out he has been an elf this whole time.
Very relevant.
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12152009
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12142005

So the clarification given by the talking wall means Forgath DOES get killed by a dwarf (with lots of screaming) So if he dies, but doesn't scream we'll meet a fourth dwarf :P if he screams and dies in horrible horrible agony it would seem this is his destiny. And he might pull a Dies and come back, and die yet again in a great battle. (also WITH another dwarf, not against) So it might be that the last battle (saving the realm from a warped klik) Counts as a great battle. Also maybe the Love will fuel hate is not about Minmax's love towards kin, but Forgaths budding love towards Idle.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Lirum703bc
Remains Silent

Post by Lirum703bc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:07 pm

Long time reader, have been waiting for updates since before Brassmoon city, I think.

Finally joined specifically for this conversation, because I have two things to point out;

First is that the prophecy says Forgath will die in battle "with" a dwarf, and that doesn't necessarily mean "against" a dwarf. Also, there was screaming (Forgath screamed charging the klik) and suicide after the battle ended is certainly not a "good" death. Hey, we even have his growing feelings for Idle driving his fury, so love is fueling hate...

That'd said, where's the serpent in the equation? His prey?

And there's also this;

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-21

Minmax is still hearing the prophecy himself, independent of Forgath, suggesting he'll be involved in its actual fulfillment.

This sort of suggests that the plan will succeed, but I might also conjecture that something other than Forgath might come back, and they might have to put him down. There's still time for a snake to show up somehow.

Jochi
Speaks Quietly

Post by Jochi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:14 pm

On the other hand, an herb that is poisonous only to Dwarves could come in handy, next time Kore is encountered. Just need to figure out how to get him to share a dish (or drink) prepared by Idle with someone not a Dwarf and not identified by Kore as evil, like Bowst.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Jochi wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:14 pm On the other hand, an herb that is poisonous only to Dwarves could come in handy, next time Kore is encountered. Just need to figure out how to get him to share a dish (or drink) prepared by Idle with someone not a Dwarf and not identified by Kore as evil, like Bowst.
I wonder if it could be made into something you could coat a weapon with...

As for the prophecy, it isn't complete yet.
Lirum703bc wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:07 pm {...} something other than Forgath might come back, and they might have to put him down. There's still time for a snake to show up somehow.
This. Knowing THunt, it'll be complex, yet simple, how this plays out.

My (tentative) theory: Forgath dies, but upon his return his klik portions combine and warp into evil and take him over. The good in him realizes this and goes after Kin as she's a wizard who can learn Remove Curse. Or because she put him and MM where he would have to fight Kore.. or because (insert correct reason here). The warped portion of him skews this and tries to kill her. MM now has to kill his best friend for his own good.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Owlbear
Mutters to Themself

Post by Owlbear » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Love will fuel hate.
Bowstrings are unreliable.
Foegathshadowing?

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Generic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:47 am No. Profecy does not say anything about a dwarf killing him. "A great battle with another dwarf" I think the wording goes.
Well he was in battle *with* Idle, rather than against her, but I don't think I'd have called that battle "great"....
Orzahn wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:29 amAlso maybe the Love will fuel hate is not about Minmax's love towards kin, but Forgaths budding love towards Idle.
I've seen no evidence that they're anywhere near "love". Fondness and solidarity, certainly, but the only signs of tenderness we've seen have been based more in pity for the other's suffering than in desire for the other themself.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Just want to say, the slow bubbling of Forgath's Klik parts and skin is not pleasant to watch.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:19 pm

redfeather wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:03 pm
Generic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:47 am No. Profecy does not say anything about a dwarf killing him. "A great battle with another dwarf" I think the wording goes.
Well he was in battle *with* Idle, rather than against her, but I don't think I'd have called that battle "great"....
Orzahn wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:29 amAlso maybe the Love will fuel hate is not about Minmax's love towards kin, but Forgaths budding love towards Idle.
I've seen no evidence that they're anywhere near "love". Fondness and solidarity, certainly, but the only signs of tenderness we've seen have been based more in pity for the other's suffering than in desire for the other themself.
He already had a great battle with another dwarf. During that he died. He just happened to come back again, to die now aided by a sudden dwarf with a oddly specific poison ready for his suicide.
I think I might have given up on this story thread. Forgath died a while back. All of this is just... Things... Happening. Disjointed from anything else. And now we're supposed to care he'll die again?

To many things are just happening to happen right now for me to feel invested. I can't figure out the story's internal logic and rules at this point.

Let's see:
Forgath survives his death by final heroic stand and "you can't have my soul"-sacrifice.
Kliks appear out of nowhere to save him. But does so well, instead of badly. Because someone said so.
Idle and Bowst wander in.
A klik has taken a bite out of the racist axe off screen. Now they must fix that.
The world falls apart, but they don't seem to care.
Forgath forgets that a dead klick turns to dust and goes to stand in the monster.
Bowst is GONE!
Idle get's dramatically stabbed in the gut. No. Forget that. She is fine.
Bowst is back!
Now Forgath is dying.
And Idle is a dwarf now for some reason.

At this point anything can happen. Because it does. I can't figure out what is going on and what is at stake.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Rndom
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: RndomGy519

Post by Rndom » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:37 pm

It has been a long while since we had a permanent death in the story. The most recent one being, what, Klik, and before that, Chief? Ignoring insignificant characters like Tul, of course.

TrueFederalist
Remains Silent

Post by TrueFederalist » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 pm

I think that Forgath (and us) got wrong is that there wasn't one prophecy, but at least two.
1. Forgath will die in a great battle with a dwarf.
2. Forgath will be killed by a dwarf in a bad death with lots of screaming.
3. When the serpent becomes his prey, friends will become enemies, and love will fuel hate.
There's nothing that requires 1 and 2 to be the same death, so arguably it could be that Kore was involved in prophecy #1, and Idle in #2. So what of #3? The most obvious solution is that Forgath mistakenly targets Kin and kills her, leading to Minmax hating Forgath. But that doesn't really work, not unless Minmax also has a serpent to be his prey.

The only thing I can think of is that Forgath doesn't recover this time leading Idle to go back to the curse walk to try the wheel for the angel but gets the dragon first.

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12032015-2

But that's way too convoluted, so probably there's some other way prophecy #3 gets solved.

TheDarkTyger
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by TheDarkTyger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Arrow wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:11 am God I so want to see the next page
You know he's gonna leave us hanging and switch groups, right? :(

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Nope, he promised we'll stay withthis group until their story arc ends...
source: twitter

Jarednc
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Jarednc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:20 am

I think forgath will be revived as a corrupted abomination. He will encounter kin and minmax, and in trying to kill Kin, minmax will have to kill forgath.

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Post by JustRight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:57 am

I think it would be amusing to have the party return to the prophesy wall after the defeat of Kore and saving the world and have the wall say "Well, I was close"... :)
"I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble"
- Sam Spade

Secret Dwarf
Remains Silent

Post by Secret Dwarf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 am

Jarednc wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:20 am I think forgath will be revived as a corrupted abomination. He will encounter kin and minmax, and in trying to kill Kin, minmax will have to kill forgath.
Long time lurker first time poster. Love this comic and just finished a reread from start to finish.

What do you all think about this posted by Thunt? It appears to be Forgath after resurrection. https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins/statu ... 1217516546

Dare I say...pretty metal. I'll see myself out now.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:58 am

I saw it back in October, but since Thunt was working on reference drawings for Goblins Animated back then, I presumed it had to do with that.
But your guess is as good.

Sockpuppet account of someone knowing more but not wanting to state openly?

Richard Cranium
Remains Silent

Post by Richard Cranium » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Bowstring

Bowst ring

Bowst rings a bell...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:22 am

Orzahn wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:29 amVery relevant.
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12152009
http://goblinscomic.com/comic/12142005

So the clarification given by the talking wall means Forgath DOES get killed by a dwarf (with lots of screaming) So if he dies, but doesn't scream we'll meet a fourth dwarf :P if he screams and dies in horrible horrible agony it would seem this is his destiny. And he might pull a Dies and come back, and die yet again in a great battle. (also WITH another dwarf, not against) So it might be that the last battle (saving the realm from a warped klik) Counts as a great battle. Also maybe the Love will fuel hate is not about Minmax's love towards kin, but Forgaths budding love towards Idle.
Thanks for the links, destroyed my budding theory immediately when I reread the page and then looked up the prophecy.
► Show Spoiler