Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 am

((Which is the case here.

Just waiting on Spider's roll to see if things get interesting!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 am

((Oops, read that on my phone but didn't remember to roll once I got back to a computer.))

Animal Handling: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:41 am

((Take a regular action for Kroshav!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 am

Kroshav roars out again before sending Charlie to the east.

Intimidation: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Jaq spins in his saddle and sinks an arrow into the owlbear beside Kroshav as Ves takes the chance to ride quickly off down the road after Jolly. Lurn again gestures at the owlbear causing it to squawk and twist together with the damage the arrow caused.
Kroshav roars at the beset predator and it, seemingly just realizing it's situation, recoils from the dragonborn. The hesitate allows Charlie the chance to push away and after the other horses. Joe tosses a firebolt in the general direction of the owlbear to show it they mean business before leaving the no longer running owlbear to fall into darkness.

((Out of combat! Unless you want to go back and keep attacking it?

How long are you riding hard for?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:28 pm

((Umm... Are Lurn and Kroshav on draft horses? Or riding horses just flavored as being bigger and more robust?))

:error:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:48 pm

((Flavor horses, otherwise they'd have fallen behind well before the owlbears showed up. Lurn doesn't weigh enough to actually warrant a draft horse, nor does Kroshav. Apologies to both of your horses.
Edit: though they will get tired faster than Jaq and Ves' horses.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm

((Ok, good, I noticed the movement difference in draft vs riding when I was checking HP in case Charlie didn't get away clean. Jolly's horse in a similar state?))

Kroshav rides up along Ves, matching her speed and once they aren't in an all out sprint, reaches over to grab her shoulder. ((Lay on Hands for 3 HP))

"Hang in there. Town just a bit further? Don't like owlbears hunting the road, we able to come back and finish the job tomorrow? Might be able to get paid for it too."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm

"Thanks!"

Ves keeps the group riding hard for about half a mile or so before pulling up and slowing the pace to check they haven't been followed.

Perception: 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:23 pm

"I've heard of owlbears but never seen 'em before. They are fast for as big as they are. On foot we would have been in trouble!" comments Jaq.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm

((Similar state as in a riding horse or or getting tired sooner? Both are correct but he doesn't weigh as much as Kroshav.))

The shrieks fade into the distance and stop entirely. Ves gets Jolly's attention and slows, looking around. The forest is quiet as Kroshav pulls along side her, only the heavy breathing of horses and their steps audible.

((Hour and a half to the village. Pushing on?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Ves will briefly dismount to check the state of the horses and make sure they're not about to keel over, and then continue on at a normal pace.

"Lurn, do the horses look good to you? Don't want to push them too far..."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Lurn climbs down from his horses back, walking beside it to ease some of its burden. From the ground, he mutters an incantation, evoking Guidance on himself, and starts checking over the condition of the horses.

Lurn Animal Handling + guidance: 1D20+5+1D4 = [11]+5+[2] = 18

"Your right that we don't want to push them too far. A horse run too hard won't recover so easily as a person. Give me a moment to assess whether they can keep going... But even if they can, I would advise walking with them for a time, to allow them a chance at rest."
(Can't really say more than that until we know the result of the check)

To Jaq's words, Lurn chuckles slightly, "Trouble is putting it lightly, friend. Three owlbears? On foot, they would have surrounded us easily. And I say this now, while I would face an owlbear head on while hale and hearty, in this weakened state even one would have been a difficult fight, three would have been a death sentence."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:38 pm

"I agree they are more that we could take tired, but hopefully there are folks in the village up for helping hunt them down. Owlbears attacking travelers on the road is bad news."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:50 pm

"Aye, that's true indeed. Which is why we shall hunt them during the day. Nocturnal hunters are usually at their weakest in the day, so we may yet catch them off guard. They may recover from what wounds we have inflicted during that time, but we also shall do so. With the advantage of surprise and unfavourable conditions for the beasts, I hope that we would turn the tides... Perhaps when they are not hunting I will be able to convince them to leave the settled territories."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 pm

"Convince them? You mean... Kill them?"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Ves best Jaq to asking that exact question.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 am

The horses are in good shape and will be fine to continue at a normal pace. They are clearly all tired from the day's walk but a couple more hour walking wouldn't be detrimental their health as long as they get to rest after.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 am

"Killing them is an option if speaking doesn't work... It is understandable if you didn't hear me as the owlbears approached, but my kin are able to make our will known to beasts, and are more able to convince them to follow it. To a firbolg, making a request of an owlbear is little different from making a request of a drunken berserker. Foolhardy and dangerous, but a better option than simply killing him." The large man takes a more jovial tone as he continues, "Besides, I serve the Lord of the Dead. Do you think that title stands only for intelligent beings? Or do you think I would be happy to place several angry owlbears on my master's doorstep?"

Concluding his check of the horses, Lurn moves alongside his draft horse, gently petting its nose, "The horses will make it, provided they rest well after reaching the village. We should keep moving."
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:08 am

"Thay ain't beasts. Thay be monst'rs. Ah dinnae think ye'd be able ta talk to em. More likly ye'd get yer head ch'wd off fer tryin'"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:10 am

"I... You can talk to animals?!"

Ves looks utterly confused as she prepares her horse and remounts for the journey onwards to the village, at whatever the fastest pace is they can comfortably cope with.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 pm

((Unless anyone has something more?))

Everyone mounts back up and follows Ves who sets a steady if not fast pace. At two points during the ride Ves needs to re-light Jolly. For his part Jolly says sourly, to his horse,

"Owlbears are why people should live in cities with walls. Thick walls."

Ves keeps watch as they ride but doesn't hear or notice anything unusual. The don't encounter anyone heading west, which is to be expected considering the hour.

The party begin to see laterns ahead of them an hour and a half after their encounter with the owlbears ((22:30ish)). As they draw nearer they see a small grouping of low, squat houses a few barns and a few larger two story buildings in the center. The village is almost entirely surrounded by a shallow ditch and uneven wall of tree trunks sunk into the ground. The majority of the wall is lit by a few hanging laterns and the only visible entrance from the road is better lit. The entrance has a wagon or cart parked in front of it on the inside of the wall. No one is immediately visible in the wall through the entrance but as you draw nearer everyone can hear voices from the village.

Ves knows this village to be called Timmer and that it has a decent, if a bit overpriced, boarding house.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:33 pm

"This place is called Timmer. There's a boarding house we can use if you don't mind paying a bit more coin than it's really worth. Given the circumstances and late hour, I think I'd recommend it."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:53 pm

"Sounds good to me."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:04 pm

"I... You can talk to animals?!"
"Less 'to' and more 'at'. They understand my words, but I don't understand them. And now to confuse you even further, I can talk at plants, too. Though, they generally need to be some special sort of plant to actually do anything with what you tell them. Can hardly convince a tree to take a few steps over."

"This place is called Timmer. There's a boarding house we can use if you don't mind paying a bit more coin than it's really worth. Given the circumstances and late hour, I think I'd recommend it."
"A roof over my head sounds quite nice. Hopefully there's a bed that fits me."
My game:

My characters: