Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:25 pm

You pimping Maji out or...?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:20 pm

He's going to get Mobile next level, so if he attacks something in mellee and runs he won't provoke. I also plan on giving him items to increase speed even further. And possibly a magic saddle so it's easier for the rider.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 pm
► Show Spoiler
In a delayed response to your post Spider, I had seen all of that but what I missed/misunderstood was that the rider retained their action if the horse took its action.

I have been applying the fear of getting eaten by an owlbear in non-combat trained mounts as something that causes the mount to act against the will of its rider should the rider be unable to control the mount. Once the mount regains control it will act as it sees 'best'. In the most recent case I rolled to decide if the horse attacked or simply fled (dashed away). An untrained horse (and probably most trained) are not going to be able to take a dodge or disengage action, they just aren't smart enough.

It was fortunate the owlbear targeted Ves rather than the horse, it would have torn the squishy horse out from under her.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:21 am

Yeah, training horses to handle owlbears probably isn't standard. :D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 am

Quite! I would expect it would need a warhorse or similar to have the nerve to be effective in a big fight. ...Or just a really bad tempered regular horse...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:55 am

Rodgeir wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:04 am An untrained horse (and probably most trained) are not going to be able to take a dodge or disengage action, they just aren't smart enough.
Are you saying that we can only use their action to Dash? Or is this only if we don't make the animal handling check? I'd maybe make the case that while consciously deciding to take the Dodge Action or Disengage Action might take smarts, a horse that is being wary and skittish is mechanically dodging, and a horse that's moving away cautiously is disengaging.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:27 am

Sorry I was unclear in that. When they (the horses) are acting on their own they will only ever attack or dash when in a fight.

I see your reasoning on the dodge but disengaging while actively being attacked/pursued would require something more than the instincts of fight or flight.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am

Ok, cool. I'll just have to muddle through with these mundane horses until 5th level. :P

At which time he'll be able to cast Find Steed and get a warhorse that's only slightly less intelligent than he is.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:12 am

Kroshov could beat it in an 'arm' wrestling competition though! Kroshov is less intelligent than the average bugbear, those bastions of intellect, but edges out ogres by a fair margin!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:37 pm

You heard the man, Spider. Get to wrestling that Owlbear. Show it who's boss! Who needs Find Steed when you can wrestle an Owlbear into submission?!

(I'm pretty sure that wasn't saying it was an owlbear he could beat in arm wrestling, right?)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 am

Nope, it was the warhorse but he is as strong as an owlbear so it would probably come down to who bit who first.

Odd to picture either...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:14 am

Clearly we've found Kroshav's true mount; An owlbear that he personally wrestled into submission.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:14 am

If it'd be an athletics check, Kroshav would have the edge in arm wrestling the owlbears (+7 vs +5), but that's assuming they abide by arm wrestling rules. Owlbears are notorious cheats. :chuckle:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Alright I finally figured out how much we get from the bandits. It's split between 6 people because of Jolly. It totals to 50 CP per person.

2 people get 10 cp and 4 sp
2 get 2 gp and return 5 sp
2 people get the 5 sp

And enchanted boots gets put into group loot.

(Or we can do this the easy way and say we all got 50 CP)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Kroshav can have Lurn's share. He's super poor, relative to the rest of us, and a priest has no right to be as rich as Lurn is. XD

Then again, it would take everything Lurn has to buy scalemail for one more AC. And the best option really is 750GP for an extra 2AC... Yeah, you know what, Lurn doesn't need more money, armour is too expensive for too little gain. XD
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:52 am

Ves is interested in knowing more about the boots. How can we identify them at this point? I assume we don't have anyone who can cast Identify...

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:23 am

You could ask the innkeeper if she knows anyone in town that knows someone who could identify them. Otherwise you can just put them on and see what happens, no attunement required.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:11 am

I dunno, they could be cursed boots that force the wearer to dance until they die, or destroy the world if the wearer is too good at dancing.

... Is that even a broadly known meme, or is it just a small circle that I know? A certain music video for I Love The Way You move involves such shoes. Still, even if it's not something people know, cursed boots is a good reason to not just try them on. :p
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 am

They came off the bandit, so I guess they're not super cursed. Ves wouldn't be super aware of curses I don't think anyway...

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 am

They could make Ves crave the fancy things in life...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am

The bandit was just a simple farmer before the boots drove him to a life of crime to support his fancy desires...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Ves will take the fancy boots of fanciness then :lol:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Eventually Joe will be able to identify stuff. Eventually.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Yeah, Joe is the only one that it's in class for, unless Jaq goes Arcane Trickster. However, even identify doesn't reliably reveal whether an item is cursed. If there is some sort of drawback as part of its use, it may reveal that, but if it is truly cursed, it's done deviously enough that it isn't able to be picked up until it triggers. So... might as well put them on, if it's cursed, it's cursed, and no other way to find out!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler