9th october 2018: Do a thing

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: 9th october 2018: Do a thing

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am

Generic wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:42 amMy guess is she arrive at some properly dead wood, and not at a stem just recently stripped of bark. I know she can chew through it eventually, but the birds are not going to sit around waiting for her to do so.
Even if my suggestion that Thunt created these insects is wrong, (as he could make the mandibles stronger) I don't think any bird is willing to go near a tree where THAT thing is standing guard.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Wolfie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am
jbrecken wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:32 am
I believe they are termites, possibly this Klik's version of our gut bacteria, turning the wood into something it can digest.
They're wasps. You can see the stingers in the first page Buzz shows up in.
The way their wings seem to be completely behind the thorax is what says termite to me. Wasp wings are further forward on their bodies.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:50 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am
Generic wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:42 amMy guess is she arrive at some properly dead wood, and not at a stem just recently stripped of bark. I know she can chew through it eventually, but the birds are not going to sit around waiting for her to do so.
Even if my suggestion that Thunt created these insects is wrong, (as he could make the mandibles stronger) I don't think any bird is willing to go near a tree where THAT thing is standing guard.
Once it stands guard it kind of stops the purpose of having a colony of bugs do work for you. Anyways, you can have your theory without me fighting it. Maybe you're right, and that would be cool.
Last edited by Generic on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:55 pm

jbrecken wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 pm
Wolfie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am
jbrecken wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:32 am
I believe they are termites, possibly this Klik's version of our gut bacteria, turning the wood into something it can digest.
They're wasps. You can see the stingers in the first page Buzz shows up in.
The way their wings seem to be completely behind the thorax is what says termite to me. Wasp wings are further forward on their bodies.
I could be biased because we have no termites were I'm from. We have wasps however. Buzz seems to be made out of gray paper, and has... blue and yellow...(?) bugs swarming from it.
Does termites bite or sting? I think it would up the antes if one of the Kliks could be hurt by one of them.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:59 am

Termite workers and soldiers don't have wings, and the fertile males and females lose them after copulation. They are also terrible flyers that would have trouble swarming around a fast-moving target. Termites also don't have colors because they live underground and are blind.
In other words, nothing about these insects is anything like termites.

Dradouggon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dradouggon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Boom! Termites for sure!

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Although I never saw them fly, the termites that kept erupting out of our bookshelf every other year of my adolescence definitely had wings. Again, artistic license is a hell of a drug.

Why would standing guard defeat the purpose? Buzz would only need to skewer at most 1 bird per tree to send a message and once the queen gets herself deep enough inside, Buzz can proceed to the next nibbling.
Last edited by BuildsLegos on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:11 pm

#teamwasp The thing looks like a giant wasps' nest.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:58 pm Although I never saw them fly, the termites that kept erupting out of our bookshelf every other year of my adolescence definitely had wings. Again, artistic license is a hell of a drug.

Why would standing guard defeat the purpose? Buzz would only need to skewer at most 1 bird per tree to send a message and once the queen gets herself deep enough inside, Buzz can proceed to the next nibbling.
I think we're giving "warped Kliks" that attacks without any provocation and needs to be put down to much credit. I frankly think this thing is just roaming around, looking for things to kill. Period.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:40 am

Sure, but that's less fun to speculate.

And keeping with my traitor Ward theory, I think Buzzin' Woody is just protecting his territory with or without warping. In fact, that sword had a mouth. We only saw one panel, but if the mouth moved to make those insults, that should classify it as shape-shifting magic. I think Ward nibbled on the Kinslayer himself and is shifting blame to hide his vice.

Formaltide
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Formaltide » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm

ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 am Eeesh, looks like Idle is going to lose her extra life right away. Hopefully it's an awesome spell (and it works).

I hope Forgath manages to do something. If this klik's body is made from soft wood, maybe a badger would be able to chew through it?
I feel sadistic for saying this but I'm hoping it's a corpse explosion suicide bomb spell :bomb:

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:30 am

Formaltide wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm
ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 am Eeesh, looks like Idle is going to lose her extra life right away. Hopefully it's an awesome spell (and it works).

I hope Forgath manages to do something. If this klik's body is made from soft wood, maybe a badger would be able to chew through it?
I feel sadistic for saying this but I'm hoping it's a corpse explosion suicide bomb spell :bomb:
Don't. My guess why I am reading this comic is to stroke my latent snuff inclination-
Er... Maybe I should have that looked at.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:06 pm

ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 amEeesh, looks like Idle is going to lose her extra life right away. Hopefully it's an awesome spell (and it works).
Not so much "right away", given that it's probably taken them all morning to get this far. Besides, provided there's an encounter or two after this, Forgath should be able to remove curses by tomorrow given that he got to Level 4 just before meeting them.

Gee, a good thing right around the corner? I wonder what misery will befall this group to prevent that from happening.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:33 am

BuildsLegos wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:06 pm
ForgetsKeys wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 amEeesh, looks like Idle is going to lose her extra life right away. Hopefully it's an awesome spell (and it works).
Not so much "right away", given that it's probably taken them all morning to get this far. Besides, provided there's an encounter or two after this, Forgath should be able to remove curses by tomorrow given that he got to Level 4 just before meeting them.

Gee, a good thing right around the corner? I wonder what misery will befall this group to prevent that from happening.
Thunt? :P

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:50 am

Bapuvitttssf wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:26 am
Morgaln wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:21 am What keeps it from shredding trees into easily digestible pieces with that strength? Kliks have been portrayed as rather gluttunous, so leaving food behind seems out of character for one of them.
This is for regular kliks, but perhaps infected kliks behave differently - for example, they share their time between eating their positive and killing things (Junior can do both at the same time).
I'm guessing doing that would take a lot of energy. It would have to imitate a woodchipper - very hard, tough blades moving with very high torque. Simply stripping bark off of the trees is a quick, easy way to feed, so why not do it?

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:56 am

Glemp wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:50 am
Bapuvitttssf wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:26 am
Morgaln wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:21 am What keeps it from shredding trees into easily digestible pieces with that strength? Kliks have been portrayed as rather gluttunous, so leaving food behind seems out of character for one of them.
This is for regular kliks, but perhaps infected kliks behave differently - for example, they share their time between eating their positive and killing things (Junior can do both at the same time).
I'm guessing doing that would take a lot of energy. It would have to imitate a woodchipper - very hard, tough blades moving with very high torque. Simply stripping bark off of the trees is a quick, easy way to feed, so why not do it?
My guess is that shattering trees is more drama. It happens quite a lot in the comic that trees breaks effortlessly. This time there was just dissonance between what was an action-y thing to draw, and the concept of a Wasp-Klik Thunt invented when he saw a wasps nest in his attic.

Wood is really weak in this comic. I guess we'll just have to accept that. (apart from when hob-goblins try to hack away structural beams and when the Goblin Slayer summons his blade. Then it's not weak)

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Rather than wood simply being weak, it makes more sense that "tree-demolishing" strength is used only for combat; Bark-nibbling and my "tiny chef" theory are both relaxed ways of eating and thus conserve energy. After all, I really don't think Vipers know how to make wood MORE strong postmortem; and Goblinslayer's sword was established as stronger than steel undoubtedly because of his high-level status.