Order of the Stick

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: Order of the Stick

Post by redfeather » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Glemp wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 am
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:40 pm

► Show Spoiler
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:39 am

► Show Spoiler

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 am

SamWiser wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:40 pm I don't think the color idea is so bad. I mean, yeah, it sounds stupid on the face of it, but it's a dumbed-down-x-1,000,000 version of some weird pseudo-theological hocus-pocus.
I would rather have heard the "technobabble", if some effort was put into making it sound fitting. Just off the top of my head, for instance:

"Every creation of one of the three pantheons has a specific mythic resonance, representing the underlying essence which unifies the pantheon. We Northern gods, for example, are unified by a definition of virtue that arises from populations living primarily in high temperate climes, where harsh winters require cooperation to survive, and the community is unified by the need to unite against common enemies. All of those factors, from the bounty of a surprisingly mild fall harvest, to the rugged grandeur and majesty of the difficult terrain of the Northlands, to the monsters that haunt the wilderness and terrify the populace into huddling together or taking up arms...all of these details unify into a single cohesive worldview, and everything created by the Northern gods resonates to that shared reality.

"The other two pantheons have their own paradigms, which overlap a great deal with ours, but are different. The Western gods mostly inhabit a desert, so their myth-arc emphasizes the relative pointlessness of attempts to survive in the face of the wasteland they dwell in; they are far less cooperative than us, because while Northern folk can work together to build shelters and stockpile food for a cold winter, there's far less the Westerners can do to deal with an exceptionally hot summer, a drought that destroys the water reserves and leaves them to die slowly and miserably, while any effort they take to try and save themselves only makes them sweat more, suffer more heatstroke, and die faster. Thusly, they have much more difficulty working together, have a stronger association between survival and individual power, and are more likely to casually betray each other out of a 'nothing personal' business need. Where virtue can exist, it takes a more extremist viewpoint, and is less likely to condescend to the less-noble, since it is easier to understand why someone is driven to desperation.

"And in contrast to all this, while the Western gods are more numerous than us, and spend more time at each other's throats, the Southern gods are very limited in number and VERY tight-knit, seeing themselves as all components in a single cosmic cycle, so that even their most severe internal conflicts are more likely to be resolved through political bickering rather than overt or covert warfare, with the exception of individuals or groups which fail to fall within the structure of the shared principles that underpin the group (honor, order, the 'cosmic flow', and so forth). The relative lushness of the tropical lands on and around the Southern Continent make life relatively easy, compared to the other two regions, and the various cultures that develop there tend to emphasize harmony and stability rather than mere survival, which is why their shared values are taken so seriously that iconoclasm is condemned more seriously than morally questionable actions taken within the frameworks of tradition, civic duty, or the 'Mandate of Heaven'.

"Each of these three different paradigms, these three cohesive worldviews which unify all the disparate details of the common reality, forms a single mythic pattern. Any creation which includes only one such pattern is very 'low resolution', as an Illusionist would put it; only one 'element' is involved in creating it, and thus it is very easily 'uncreated'; any other god can wave it away just as easily as the first one wished it into being. But if two or three pantheons work together, they create materials, energies, and entities which are 'more complete', more robustly constituted. They weave their resonances together, creating a fuller and more complete sort of creation; it takes perhaps ten times more effort to create this way, but the result is more like one hundred times as difficult to destroy. And this is the problem...because there used to be a fourth pantheon, with a fourth mythic pattern, and the Snarl was created by them as well as the three of us. With these four patterns composing it, the Snarl is about one hundred times as powerful, and a thousand times as hard to destroy, as a creation of just three mythic resonances. And this version of the universe is the first one we have ever created, in all these thousands of attempts, which contains a fourth resonance again. For the first time ever, a fourth pantheon, a single god whose worldview utterly differs from that of all three of us, has organically emerged from within the creation. I don't know exactly what he believes, but we gods can tell with a glance that he is utterly unlike all of us, as different from all of us as the lost Eastern gods were, and that means we have an opportunity we have never previously had."

Obviously this is a lot less concise than the description of "colors". But I would have been much happier with three strips that gradually laid all this out (even given my impatience to move on) than I am with this one strip summarizing the concept in such a reductive way.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:59 pm

To each their own. I definitely understand, but I also think that it would have driven me crazy getting that much info all at once, spread across several pages, with at least one joke on each page (because he does try to fit a joke on each page) taking up even more space and slowing it down. The tiny bit of technobabble that Thor does get out, combined with the color metaphor is enough that I can kind of guess at what they mean.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:50 am

You know how many people would've blown a gasket if we got that gigantic wall of text in the comic? Many people. That's how many.

edit: Oooh, new comic!

1142 Good to Know

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 am

Yeah, I prefer exposition to get to the point, unless it's a character trait like with Kin. And thanks Rocket, I hadn't seen that!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:53 am

Page 1143: Lines of Communication
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1143.html

Well, special circumstances when encountering special problems need special diplomats.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:09 am

Good luck, Durkon. You're going to need it.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:19 pm

► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Page 1144: That's Jack's Fault
► Show Spoiler

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 pm

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 am

► Show Spoiler

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 pm

SamWiser wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 pm Page 1144: That's Jack's Fault
► Show Spoiler
Indeed. Still very info-dumpy, but much better handled than the last one.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:55 pm

1145 The Highfather
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:06 am

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:30 pm

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:48 am

page 1146 - Assistance Needed

Och, dang whisperers. Just so I stick around during the ad-break in a hope to find out what the secret is about (and how the Dwarves could've forgotten about it), just to find out that adter the ad-break the story continues with a different viewpoint (i.e. following Roy again).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:04 pm

► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:32 pm

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:30 am

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:08 am

Update notification!
Page 1147 - Headed Back

not much happening, mostly idle chatter.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:34 am

update notification!

1148 - The Rainbow Rejection

A pint Guiness anyone?

RocketScientist