24 Sep 2018 - something's coming....

Discuss the comic here!
BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Re: 24 Sep 2018 - something's coming....

Post by BuildsLegos » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Hm, maybe these will work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0H7Kf9zvWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFFql0cpw0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kMlGYRnfk This one has a reindeer!

Aegis J Hyena and I speculated last week that Ward is a traitor. It's always struck me as odd that he's been the soul source of information like this even being a problem and now his timing with very vital details is unacceptable. I think he's using this threat -with or without lies- as a trap so that he can finally make good on the hostile feelings that haven't been hidden in the slightest.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:47 am

The punch seems to be a mistake. He is cursed to punch himself when HE says "what", not when someone else says it.

Unless he did say it and than that balloon got cut off.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:35 am

rwstyles wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:47 am The punch seems to be a mistake. He is cursed to punch himself when HE says "what", not when someone else says it.

Not a mistake. Bowst did say it in the previous panel: "We need to find out WHAT his negative is..."
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:38 am

rwstyles wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:47 am The punch seems to be a mistake. He is cursed to punch himself when HE says "what", not when someone else says it.

First panel.
Bowst wrote:Now we need to find out what his negative is....
edit: :ninja:

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:33 pm

BuildsLegos wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:10 pm Hm, maybe these will work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0H7Kf9zvWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFFql0cpw0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kMlGYRnfk This one has a reindeer!

Aegis J Hyena and I speculated last week that Ward is a traitor. It's always struck me as odd that he's been the soul source of information like this even being a problem and now his timing with very vital details is unacceptable. I think he's using this threat -with or without lies- as a trap so that he can finally make good on the hostile feelings that haven't been hidden in the slightest.
I'll check them out when I can. Thanks!

I don't think he is a traitor. Thunt often do these kinds of info dumps right next to the fact I think.
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:18 pm

That's what NPC characters are for anyway, new NPC adventure group member?
Expect an infodump from the DM...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:27 am

Krulle wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:18 pm That's what NPC characters are for anyway, new NPC adventure group member?
Expect an infodump from the DM...
:(

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 am

If you think you can avoid a new member being pressurized into your group by the DM, and you refuse the new member, the DM might just let you run blind into the next danger.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:14 pm

I just found the idea of NPCs joining the party for info dumps really sad.

For me they are supposed to be brothers, lovers, enemies on a temporary truce. They are there to set the tone, mock or comfort the played characters. They are supposed to get lost and then triumphantly return in just the right moment after the DM mixed their theme music into the background playlist, on a burning gunship or swinging a rope. They are there to burst into tears when the players say something insensitive without thinking. They are there to have a blood capsule burst open from the DMs mouth, blood running across shirt and beard while the NPC explains just how much they love their son, one in the group. The group left to imagine the chunks of homemade meatloaf, the vampire tried to consume to seem normal and homely but had to expell after a while, rolling down the NPCs chest. They are there to gently get the roleplaying in the group going again after everyone went and got snacks at the supermarket. They are there to get caught up in funny mishaps or just to give the DM some RPG possibilities when the party is deep down into an dead forest devoid of people or animals.

Info dumps at the table are horrid. People will forget most of them during the sitting, and they will for sure forget all of it after five more sessions. You are supposed to have the players experience these things. Have them discover the warp-infection-terror of infected Klicks themselves. Let them see it or figure it out in person.

Noone remembers a throwaway line of a character about the dangers of touching this or other. Everyone remember K'Sellis MELTING AFTER TOUCHING THE FINGER HORROR! OH FUCK I STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES!

Planting and payoff is very important I think. If you just throw things at the players, why would they remember or retain anything? When the need comes, they will get it explained to them right before the Thing happens. Or worse. If new things are introduced all the time, needing constant info dumping, people will start expect you to change/expand the set up rules at a whim. This will frustrate them. (Alright, mixing things up is good. But you are still supposed to be constant at your own setup rules. If Freddy Kruger starts killing people who are not asleep, it's bad. If the players realize, "hey... Fuck... We fell asleep back in the Hallway of Laments... Fuck..." it's really really good.)

It takes planning. You'll need to always consider what will be happening three sessions down the line. You'll have to pace yourself and keep the warped Klick until you think they understand it enough to be horrified when they finally see it. In return you'll get players who are invested in their characters and the world. Because they understand the rules of the play enough to start to get creative.

Tombworld
Remains Silent

Post by Tombworld » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 am

So, regarding 'Idle's Ridiculous Blades.' What's to stop someone else from turning around to face away from the target before casting it? The blades don't need to be aimed since they fly in a straight line toward the target. If you had to visually ID the target as the final casting component of the spell you could still just look over your shoulder. The only way this wouldn't work is if 'behind' is defined as the back of your head...and even then you could hold up a mirror (unless the spell would interpret the mirror as the target and not the image reflected in it) or use a peripheral vision or other sight enhancement spell in conjunction with it.

Or, you know, maybe just...duck?

Obviously, the creator of the spell wouldn't have known to think of these things before being 'ethereal bladed' but if Idle can find and adapt the spell so could anyone else. And Idle could do the same without having to activate her curse.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 pm

That the spell is so suicidal is probably a vital part of being able to cast such deadliness so early. Of course, she wouldn't bother without the curse enabling her. Whatever hack you could counter-contrive would probably ruin the availability of it. Besides, maybe she does duck, and usually takes less damage rather than none.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:47 pm

"Behind" may also just mean that it appears behind the caster when seen from the viewpoint of the target.
Then turning will not help.

The caster blocking the sight may be crucial for the blades to have gatherd sufficient speed before the target can see them and duck, thus this "quirk" may prevent a "miss", making the blades more dangerous and effective...

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:17 am

Tombworld wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 am So, regarding 'Idle's Ridiculous Blades.' What's to stop someone else from turning around to face away from the target before casting it? The blades don't need to be aimed since they fly in a straight line toward the target. If you had to visually ID the target as the final casting component of the spell you could still just look over your shoulder. The only way this wouldn't work is if 'behind' is defined as the back of your head...and even then you could hold up a mirror (unless the spell would interpret the mirror as the target and not the image reflected in it) or use a peripheral vision or other sight enhancement spell in conjunction with it.

Or, you know, maybe just...duck?

Obviously, the creator of the spell wouldn't have known to think of these things before being 'ethereal bladed' but if Idle can find and adapt the spell so could anyone else. And Idle could do the same without having to activate her curse.
This is the world of ill defined things the GM let slip, so, sure. Why not? If you tie a rope around a magical item that deals no damage to members of a certain class (due to it just going through them), will that also go through the target? Sure. Why not?

I am just waiting for Ears to fix the axe to locked door, and then walk through both door and axe. Or Idle to duck/turn around, whatever.

One expects that Herbert would have realized he sucks at implementing new rules/mechanics at this point.

Dustin_S
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dustin_S » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 am

Someone get Idle a mirror...so she can see over her shoulder when she's firing her blades spell. Maybe I'm missing something here, lacking any kind of magical training whatsoever, :lol: but who says you have to be *facing* your target when casting a spell?

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Dustin_S wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 am Someone get Idle a mirror...so she can see over her shoulder when she's firing her blades spell. Maybe I'm missing something here, lacking any kind of magical training whatsoever, :lol: but who says you have to be *facing* your target when casting a spell?
Presumably the same aspect which makes the spells appear behind her back also makes it so that they have to fly through her in order to hit. So if she was able to cast through a mirror at a target behind her, then the blades would appear in front of her. If defeating the spell's "glitch" was that easy, she wouldn't be the only one who had "hacked" that spell, and it would be in more common use.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 am

redfeather wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:05 pm
Dustin_S wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 am Someone get Idle a mirror...so she can see over her shoulder when she's firing her blades spell. Maybe I'm missing something here, lacking any kind of magical training whatsoever, :lol: but who says you have to be *facing* your target when casting a spell?
Presumably the same aspect which makes the spells appear behind her back also makes it so that they have to fly through her in order to hit. So if she was able to cast through a mirror at a target behind her, then the blades would appear in front of her. If defeating the spell's "glitch" was that easy, she wouldn't be the only one who had "hacked" that spell, and it would be in more common use.
Stop applying logic to loopholes described in once sentence in a conversational tone!
/s