TaleSpinner

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

TaleSpinner

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:44 am

As much as I wanted to just jump right into this and post it in games, I did want to see if there was any interest prior.

We haven't had a purely writing story-game in a long while and I would like to start one, but instead of having skills and rules and such and such, this is going to be a lot more free-form.

The idea is a continuation of writing that attempts to create a story that is seamless from one users post to another and allows for whatever wild and crazy stuff you can come up with. Essentially, allowing a poster to take a story in any direction they want, as long as the transition is smooth and makes sense. And as long as it somewhat follows the main protagonist, or someone in his group, if he ever has a group...assuming they don't all die horribly somehow. And a poster is free to post as much or as little as they want.

Example:

Poster A:
The work day was finally drawing to a close, which was fortunate, as the words on his screen were starting to blur together into gibberish. As the clock struck 4pm, James jumped up from his desk and sprinted for the door, throwing them open and yelling "Freedom" as he ran out onto the wide expanse of concrete sidewalk.

Poster B:
The sky ripped open, a giant gaping hole with a sky of somewhere else and a large wooden ship flew down out of the tear. James couldn't help but stare in shock as the ship seemed to be heading straight for him. His legs felt screwed into the sidewalk, too afraid to stay and too afraid to run, he just stood there and quivered. The ship turned as it came to a halt a few dozen yards from him and a woman with dark curly locks leaned over the edge, pointing a long curved blade at him and yelled "There he is mates, grab him".

Poster C:
Now you try.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: TaleSpinner

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Are you wanting for people to proclaim interest in this here or are you wanting for people to just continue the story you started in A and B?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:42 am

Interest, sorry if I was unclear on that. :lol:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 am

I'd be interested generally.

Will there be a limit to how much one person can write, or how often? Are there going to be certain plot point or any kind of guidance about the content, or any limitation about the world (e.g. no magic, technology level XZY), or will it be completely free?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 am

A person can be as wordy or less-wordy as they would like.
A person could post as often as the space between themselves and one other person.
I plan on starting the plot out quite fantastically...but whether someone would want to follow that plot or somehow twist it into something even better (or worse) is up to them.
There are no current known limitations to this world, universe, multiverse. This story could traverse time, space and the multiverse for all we know.

The key point is flow, that the story continues to flow into itself without seemingly large plot holes. Meaning, if the protagonist gets a tattoo "I love maria" on his left butt-cheek, he'll still have it unless he gets it removed in some general fashion. So the story is one that builds upon itself. Like a tv show with strange episodes but in which the same character is seen in all of them...you know...unless he changes too.