Goblins Character Stats

Discuss the comic here!
Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: Goblins Character Stats

Post by Talos » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:01 pm

I think the main problem with determining Grem's alignment is that we don't know much about him, and we've only ever seen him act under unusual circumstances (a dungeon crawl or combat), save for one or two really short scenes. What little we do know is subject to a number of interpretations:

- He's loyal to the Viper Clan and helps keep the slaves in line. That said, he doesn't seem to take any joy in causing pain or suffering among them.

- He's a very good fighter by their standards, but probably not as good as a goblin with low-level fighter stats.

- He goes into the dungeon crawl against his mother's wishes, a move which was probably motivated in part by love and/or lust for Saves-a-Fox.

- He risks his life to help K'sliss. It appears that this move was done completely without thought of personal gain, and is widely considered to be good.

So, if we want a more solid answer, we'd need more information about his ethics, motives, and background.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:47 pm

To all those saying the attempt at saving Kissless was good, I vividly remember Thunt saying in the feed when drawing those pages that he's just "protecting Mother's property". After all, Unkissable might have been helpful in procuring the Orb of Bloodlight.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Talos wrote:So, if we want a more solid answer, we'd need more information about his ethics, motives, and background.
You may be right. Even though he's been shown in the comic for a decent time, it would seem that we still lack evidence to strongly make an statement about his alignment.
BuildsLegos wrote:To all those saying the attempt at saving Kissless was good, I vividly remember Thunt saying in the feed when drawing those pages that he's just "protecting Mother's property". After all, Unkissable might have been helpful in procuring the Orb of Bloodlight.
That's hard to prove since we don't have evidence that we can show. Besides, I think it takes a lot more than just the wish to "protect property" to dive into the darkness and face a nightmarish monster that just dragged the strongest guy in your group.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:56 pm

My problem with trying to determine the alignment of a character from their actions is that not all actions will be ever be entirely consistent with alignment. You need to average their actions out, and see where most of them lie. So a lawful good character does mostly things in that are lawful-good, sometimes lawful-neutral or lawful-neutral, but occasionally true neutral, or once or twice lawful-evil or chaotic-good.
It's easy to latch on to one or two out-of-character actions and say "look, [character] is being chaotic-neutral" when most of his actions are centred around neutral-good.
Actions inconsistent with one particular alignment seems to be more common than slavish adherence, maybe because prejudice, instinct and roleplaying/characterisation play a role in actions.

Loewen
Mutters to Themself

Post by Loewen » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:35 pm

should the H symbol be considered the shape of Forgath's I.M.E now? it surrounds the target of whatever spells he casts.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:06 pm

Yes, that's the intended image. Big Ears has brick walls, Complains has a demon tail, Kore has the terrified faces of his victims chained to wings, and Forgath has a giant H. You'll notice that now at level 4, the H is also surrounded by...things.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 pm

So, on the subject of stats, which goblin do you think has the highest of each? Like highest strength, intelligence, etc?

If I had to guess strength, it would be a toss-up between Grem and Big Ears, with Complains-of-Names possibly surpassing both of them when he's in a berserk rage. As for dexterity, that would probably be Saves-a-Fox, given her balance on those poles in the dungeon. I'm not sure of the rest, but Thaco probably scores high in wisdom and dexterity too.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:57 am

Wouldn't Grem be falling behind in just about every stat by now? I mean, everybody (except Vorpal) is level 4 by now, so they should have put a few points into strength. At least Big Ears and Complains.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:45 am

SamWiser wrote:Wouldn't Grem be falling behind in just about every stat by now? I mean, everybody (except Vorpal) is level 4 by now, so they should have put a few points into strength. At least Big Ears and Complains.
Even though that'd be the logical thing to do, if they don't imply it in the comic there's very little we can do. Same goes for Minmax (str) or Forgath (wis), for example.

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 am

Arles wrote:
SamWiser wrote:Wouldn't Grem be falling behind in just about every stat by now? I mean, everybody (except Vorpal) is level 4 by now, so they should have put a few points into strength. At least Big Ears and Complains.
Even though that'd be the logical thing to do, if they don't imply it in the comic there's very little we can do. Same goes for Minmax (str) or Forgath (wis), for example.
Grem still has a more muscular appearance than most of the GAP, from what we have seen. This is despite his lack of class levels. Of course, appearances aren't everything.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:23 am

Talos wrote:
Arles wrote:
Grem still has a more muscular appearance than most of the GAP, from what we have seen. This is despite his lack of class levels. Of course, appearances aren't everything.
Grem also comes under the heading of "unique character" and can have slightly altered stats as the DM wills.
We don't know his Strength score, but he was mowing down hobgoblins to the admiration of the other Vipers. He is shown as more powerful than the average goblin.
Edit: For that matter, the Vipers as a whole have looked more muscular than other goblins, and other tribes are intimidated by them. So Grem is an exceptional member of what may be a unique THuntonian goblin subrace.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:56 am

That's why his chart shows "Str 12". That means his Str is at least 12, but could be higher without a doubt.
According to the evidence, we know hi has a possitive Str modifier. For now, that's all :(

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:21 pm

I'd wager he has some utterly crazy Dex though. Most his maneuvering comes across as Tumble checks to me in order to bypass threat ranges and get by large creatures. Shame he doesn't have a class as the features could tell us more about him for sure.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Miryafa
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: Miryafa

Post by Miryafa » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:37 am

We now know Forgath's feats are Endurance and Diehard. It's one thing to talk while your character is in the negatives, it's another thing to be able to move (enough to throw yourself off a bridge).

Dradouggon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dradouggon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:47 am

This post is in need of updating. I am curious about the goblin clan seer class progression for Fumbles. Any ideas?

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:04 am

Woah!!

Now this takes me back.

Feel free to take full control of the thread, guys.
I'll see if I can post the images I was using, since dropbox took them down.
Last edited by Arles on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:13 am

Last edited by Arles on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:02 am

Holy necromancy, Batman! :lol:

But, yes, I agree. This is in need of updating.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Dradouggon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dradouggon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:09 pm

So far I have found a couple of “Seer” classes. Oracle seems to be the most prominent name.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dungeonmus ... agons/amp/

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oracle_(5e_Class)

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:56 pm

The teller isn't a character class. If it was, taking character classes wouldn't have been such a novel idea to the goblins, as they would be used to any goblin being able to take one if they become teller. It is most likely a (homebrew) creature template.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:02 pm

What is Parchment? There's a paper dragon in 5e, but I don't think that's it. If it's a type of pseudo dragon, does that mean Kin is neutral good?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Alucard109
Remains Silent
UStream Username: The observer

Post by Alucard109 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:08 am

According to this page (https://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-5), kin is at least a level 5 wizard

crow76308
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by crow76308 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Dradouggon wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:09 pm So far I have found a couple of “Seer” classes. Oracle seems to be the most prominent name.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dungeonmus ... agons/amp/

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oracle_(5e_Class)
I was thinking it (Seer, or in this case, Teller) was an Adept.
Possum explicare vobis, sed Ego aliter comprehendere non illam tibi.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:07 am

THunt is using 3.0 and 3.5 rules, not 5e, with some homebrew thrown in for flavor. A teller isn't a class they can take, it's a template, like Chief or General Goblin Fodder...
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Dradouggon
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Dradouggon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:00 pm

Wolfie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:07 am THunt is using 3.0 and 3.5 rules, not 5e, with some homebrew thrown in for flavor. A teller isn't a class they can take, it's a template, like Chief or General Goblin Fodder...
Oh boy did I ever love playing with templates in character creation. It gets me excited thinking about level adjustments of 3.5. It’s also a nice explanation for why no real class was picked by Fumbles when the GAP picked classes.