August 13, 2018 - Smells Like It!

Discuss the comic here!
Rowenaster
Remains Silent

Gee, You Hair Smells Terrific!

Post by Rowenaster » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Longtime reader, firsttime poster, blah blah. Anybody else here old enough to remember those "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific" shampoo commercials?

Anyway, I think the biggest surprise for me here is that Minmax didn't take Diminished Sense of Smell for the extra character points! Of course doing so would have prevented this plot moment...

Note: the former title of my former thread contained the name of the shampoo and was lost when moved here; edited to replace inline
Last edited by Rowenaster on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Gee, You Hair Smells Terrific!

Post by WearsHats » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Rowenaster wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:47 pm Longtime reader, firsttime poster, blah blah. Anybody else here old enough to remember those shampoo commercials?

Anyway, I think the biggest surprise for me here is that Minmax didn't take Diminished Sense of Smell for the extra character points! Of course doing so would have prevented this plot moment...
"Notice:"
Welcome, Rowenaster.

I moved your post here. As you can see, we already had a thread to discuss the comic page you're talking about. In order to keep things organized and easy for everyone, we have rules about starting new threads like this. Stick around, read the rules, and you'll get the hang of it. :)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Generic
Converses Frequently

Re: Gee, You Hair Smells Terrific!

Post by Generic » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:10 am

Rowenaster wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:47 pm Longtime reader, firsttime poster, blah blah. Anybody else here old enough to remember those shampoo commercials?

I might be old enough, but I am too foreign. What commercials were those?
You won't sleep when you're dead either.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: August 13, 2018 - Smells Like It!

Post by Krulle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 am

A quick google brought me to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIX6F7xCsRY
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:19 am

Krulle wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 am A quick google brought me to
Long time... First time... I don't get it. How is that related to the commercial?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:22 am

Minmax's player is undoubtedly factoring the combat advantages of a powerful nose. Without looking or listening, he can smell the enemy stinking up his back-side with a dagger in-hand.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

crow76308
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by crow76308 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:30 am

Generic wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:19 am
Long time... First time... I don't get it. How is that related to the commercial?
The reference to him sniffing the hair. Truthfully, I thought of Niles when I saw that. Well, him and that guy from the terrible Charlie's Angels movie.
Possum explicare vobis, sed Ego aliter comprehendere non illam tibi.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Yeah, that's the stuff. I am old enough, and I remember it. Never tried it, though. I was 10 in '79 and not so interested in having guys sniff my hair. Still not really interested in that, TBH.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:46 am

crow76308 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:30 am
The reference to him sniffing the hair. Truthfully, I thought of Niles when I saw that. Well, him and that guy from the terrible Charlie's Angels movie.
Yeah, the Thin Man was who I was thinking of too. Honestly I thought he was pretty cool despite being in a bad movie series (there were two).

crow76308
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by crow76308 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Not to go too far into a tangent, but did he ever get a name besides "The Thin Man"?
Possum explicare vobis, sed Ego aliter comprehendere non illam tibi.

Generic
Converses Frequently

Post by Generic » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:39 am

crow76308 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 pm Not to go too far into a tangent, but did he ever get a name besides "The Thin Man"?
I think we're far beyond tangents already. :) And... Umh... I don't think so. Those movies did not make a big impression on me though.

Rowenaster
Remains Silent

Post by Rowenaster » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:40 pm

The commercial is related to the "Smells like.." topic of this thread. And how Minmax was able to identify Kin by how her hair smells...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:11 am

And that he smiles after sniffing it.

*Good smell - this is good stuff.*
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:12 pm

GathersIngredients wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:33 pm OT: Wow. when I read "body integrity identity disorder" in the article about the girl who blinded herself - never having heard of that before - I initially assumed that she somehow had trouble accepting her body/how she looked and that she wanted to be blind so she wouldn't be able to/have to see it herself anymore. Apparently, reading on, I figured that was not it, but I still can't fathom how or why someone would actively and voluntarily damage their own body. Then again, most disorders pertain something that most people can't understand why someone would ever do something.
TheDarkTyger wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:37 pm Sorry, hung up on the "d'aww!" of Minmax crying when he confirms it's really her. Big, stupid, lunk of an adorable sweetheart.
Agreed, I was smiling quite widely when I noticed him welling up. :)

Kind reminder:
This is drifting off into something that needs to be in Controversy! If you wish to discuss the topics of body integrity identity disorder or smoking etc. further, please do it there. All posts concerning the comic page in question belong here, of course.
I go out of my way to not offend them with my habit. They want to call me a "disgusting loser" anyway.

That is the ONLY controversy.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:31 pm

The ethics of smoking is indeed a topic for the Controversy! subforum.

When a mod tells you politely that it's getting too off topic, especially if they say it belongs in Controversy! you are expected to respect that.

We try to be polite and flexible. So when we speak up, it means there's good reason. You can disagree with us. Preferably privately. We'll listen. But backtalking us is not helpful for anyone.

That said, we do not allow personal attacks or slurs, no matter how much you may disagree with someone. I'm very sensitive to smoke. It really does bother me, even from a distance, even long after the cigarette is out. But it is never okay to call someone a disgusting loser. The habit may be disgusting. The person is another matter.

But, again, if you want to hash it out, that's a discussion for Controversy!
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler