Random Thread 2: Social plane shifting?

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Random Thread 2: Social plane shifting?

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:09 pm

From Theis' Shipwrecked game. Occasionally summoned Honey Badgers, usually just waved his hands around.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:10 pm

The ONE time he summons a badger successfully, it happens to be just when the king's men are watching. :lol:

But I could see Jasper being in there as the kind of mage who argues that the only way to find out how to counter this whole dimensional thing is through study... Actually, he'd probably work for king/government so he can get a bit of leniency on what he does for the sake of "research", and in turn would help track down mages for the greater good of the realm.

...Why exactly was he never reclassified to lawful/neutral evil? :lol:

As for Ulmwin, he's just a bard right now. Honestly, I think he would make for a nice background character that just enjoys his time in an inn and shares tales with the PC's but does little actual adventuring still. Just enjoys food, drink, and song :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:26 pm

THAT'S WHO HE WAS!! ...Damn that was bugging me!

Ok, sweet! Now there's a secret underground scholars guild dedicated to learning, but never using, magic. Jasper can be the leader :) and he secretly betrays anyone in the mages who breaks the rules.

I feel Ulmwin is a far better PC than an NPC. He's such a nice guy and already so put-upon by our lot I'd feel extremely guilty getting him into too much trouble. Especially because we've got a slight edgy, Almost-That-Guy in our party playing as a warlock. I'll find Ulmwin a nice bar somewhere pleasant where he can tell tales of great adventures that have happened in this forum :D might even give him a nice suit of plot armor for his troubles :)

I think I'll chuck a mushroom grotto in somewhere too! Haha! :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:33 pm

To be fair, I'd still argue that Jasper was, for the most part, true to his neutral nature, in that he didn't purposefully look to screw anyone over for his own gain, kept some consistent morals, and did care about his party... But that he just consistently valued logic over morals to the point I'd accept his classification to evil if a certain thing had happened :roll:

Also, he WAS kind of a dick, so that, too. :P

But yeah, Ulmwin can definitely tell a lot of tales... There's a suspicious lack of mention of any sorcerer named Holger though, for some reason, and a whole lot more Ulmwin... :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Well, it be inappropriate to glamorise the arcane arts with tantalising tales of someone so fabulous :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Well, obviously the first time he turned into a potted plant, they smashed and burned him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Pahahahahaha! That would be a much more appropriate tale for Ulmwin the Bard :D

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:32 pm

All of Ulmwin's stories are about how all his companions, one by one, got either killed or captured by the magic inquistion for abusing magic. :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Cranberry had his memory wiped so he couldn't remember the powers he once wielded... he's in the Wizard Protection Program.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Most of my characters are spell casters. I say most because there are a couple instances where that was not the case....

My first dnd character was a ranger (this was 3.5 and he was lv 3 so no spells yet) His name was Quinton and he was a human (all human campain). He was long range and no favoured enemeis because I didn't know that was a thing.

But the most important part was that he was unlucky. Almost every single attack or skill roll I made for him (and just him!) was a nat 1. I used every die I could find and they all rolled nat 1, even the counting die I had! The gm was using fumble rules so he dropped his weapon constantly and I got bored of that description so I told the gm to make it have more flair. I rolled ones so constantly I was referred to Fumbles and this comic. :lol: Anyways, despite being super unlucky he didn't die, always barely scrapping by on a saving throw or accidentally falling out of the tower (because he was shooting out of it).

------

If druids are allowed, you can use Maji. Even if they are persecuted I am sure he'll try to find a way to have his revenge survive.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Aw man, that must have been frustrating as hell! :lol:

Maji would be cool, if you don't mind that things might go badly for him if anyone ever found out about his powers. Druids aren't allowed by the laws of the realm, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:00 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:52 pm Aw man, that must have been frustrating as hell! :lol:

Maji would be cool, if you don't mind that things might go badly for him if anyone ever found out about his powers. Druids aren't allowed by the laws of the realm, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
It was a bit annoying, but it was fine.

Maji would try to find ways to survive, probably pass himself as barbarian (helps that he is one). He'll be more prone to hiding in that sort of situation, and wait for the right moment. If someone found out about his abilities and tried to hunt him down for it he'd most likely go into the wilderness, lead them to a trap, kill them or get away depending on the threat. Wilderness to blend in with other animals, kill if only a few, and hide if many (giant badger form to go under the earth to get away and possibly make himself a cave.) That being said, if he dies he'll die fighting. If he's backed into a corner he'll make sure to bring down as many as possible with him.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Good to know, thanks :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:39 pm

I had a halfling ranger I was fond of, Breldo Bramblepelt. He had a pet giant wolf spider that he could ride on. I rolled an 18 on his DEX stat, so with racial bonus he was +5 DEX. Took the archery fighting style, so had +9 to hit at level 2 with his light crossbow. I eventually planned on picking up some fighter levels to go battle master. Goading and Trip attacks would have been fun.

Unfortunately, he was victim to my first (unplanned) character death and TPK. He probably exists somewhere in Sundered Way now.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Hah! Niiiiice :) I'm sure there will be room somewhere for Breldo! What was his personality like?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:25 am

There was a game I played a while ago that had a potions salesman who had narcolepsy and would constantly fall asleep in the middle of conversations. That was pretty funny.

Actually, I think we eventually found out it was actually part of an ancient family curse or something like that, but I had to leave the game before we could fix it. It might not be the best in an online game due to how it would slow it down, but it was fun to roleplay at the table.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:45 am

Cool, thanks Sam :) this is for a live game anyway, so it should be doable.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:20 am

thinkslogically wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:09 pm Hah! Niiiiice :) I'm sure there will be room somewhere for Breldo! What was his personality like?
He was veteran of his nations wars against the dragonborn kingdom's invasions (their race was not available as PCs), so tended to be a bit xenophobic in that regard, but was a competent soldier who worked as a scout. The war for him ended when the barony he was stationed in became physically (and temporally?) isolated for 15 years, so he was a bit a drift as they were cut off from the central government. Without pay, the armies disbanded and he found work guiding folks and the like. Accustomed to military life, much of which he still held to (early to rise, organized, etc.), but finding his way in the world as a civilian adventurer. Felt that he'd failed his fellow soldiers, even though he had no agency over any of what transpired, but knows that there might be a war raging beyond the borders that he is unable to take part in.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:15 am

Cool, that's a really interesting backstory :) thanks for sharing it!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:20 am

Hey all, I'm working on creating a more varied Wild Magic Surge table for 5e sorcerers. It's a google doc, if you have any interesting ideas, check it out and leave a comment!

Suggestions can be detrimental, beneficial, or just plain silly.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 am

1 and 2 are exacly the same. 99 and 100 are the exact same as well.

Suggestions!

*You change to the opposite sex, remove curse removes this effect.
*You expend your largest spell s you are currently being able to cast. (so if you have used all 2 lv spell , then you loose 1 lv spell instead) You regain it from long rest. (so no warlock shenanigans)
*You loose all remaining sorc points and cannot regain them until a long rest.
*Loose your next action
*You immediately cast message as a lv 1 wizard, but must use all the words to say rude things to a family member/friend/lover.
*You must speak in rhymes until next long rest
*Loose 2d10 hp
*If you die within the next minuite you come back as a zombie.
*Immediatly cast {s]glitter dust[/s] farie fire centered on self, always comes in your least favourite colour.
*You are now covered in glitter, only remove curse removes the glitter.
*You are now completely naked. Your clothes is folded neatly and cleaned in the nearest unoccupied space, and your items are next to it.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:26 am

I would change message to "You immediately cast message to whoever you consider your greatest enemy at that moment"... :P

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:14 am

I've added 10 comments to the sheet, some more random than others :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 am 1 and 2 are exacly the same. 99 and 100 are the exact same as well.
Yeah, I'm keeping those at original % for now.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:07 pm

I found this a few days ago, actually.

A list of 10,000 random magical effects

It's really, really long (84 pages), so I haven't really read a lot, but some of them are pretty cool.
► Show Spoiler
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett