Trinity Isles OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Trinity Isles OOC

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Oh dang, it looks like I've been the one doing status damage wrong. I thought the damage was immediate, but it looks like you're right, it applies at the end of the round where you take a Standard or are prevented from taking one. Idk how I messed that up. :paranoia:

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Tue May 01, 2018 3:37 pm

It could have changed between versions, or just be bad wording. Or maybe it was like that in PTA?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue May 01, 2018 5:30 pm

I think it's mostly that we've been treating it after a standard action because it's the easiest solution, and fits 90% of use-cases. If we had to keep track of every pokemon that needs to take poison damage at the end of the round every battle, larger battles would be hard to manage that way.

Also coming back to the whole eviolite thing- I'd probably treat it as I've been treating mega stones, probably. They start off "unbound", as in that any pokemon can claim them and use them... But, once used, become bound to that type of pokemon and can not be used by any others. So all you'd have to do is find an eviolite for the correct stats, is all.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue May 01, 2018 5:51 pm

ALSO, I know no one asked, but.

Yes.

At least the next ten updates will be devoted to yet further drilling poor Dave into the ground.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 pm

Stealing should be be able to be resisted. So what do I roll to prevent the thing stealing? Per?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 pm

M0rtimer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:51 pm ALSO, I know no one asked, but.

Yes.

At least the next ten updates will be devoted to yet further drilling poor Dave into the ground.
I support this attack on Dave.

Also, is anybody having trouble with some of the type icons disappearing on the sheets? It's happening both on my phone and laptop, so I don't think it's just a problem on my end, but I'm not sure.

Also, I realized I never gave Scraps a second ability. Gave him Analytic
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 pm Stealing should be be able to be resisted. So what do I roll to prevent the thing stealing? Per?
You already did roll to prevent it, though. That was what the Athletics check was for. You failed :shrug:
SamWiser wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 pm
Also, is anybody having trouble with some of the type icons disappearing on the sheets? It's happening both on my phone and laptop, so I don't think it's just a problem on my end, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, i think the website they were taking the icons from changed slightly. Already fixed it on my sheet, check the Nature/Type data tab.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 02, 2018 1:52 am

It's possible that that wording is used to indicate that the pokemon's actions resolved before they take damage, in case they're doing something related to their HP (Like healing). Dunno for sure.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:44 am

So, anybody interested in buying an Iron Vitamin from me? I've looked through my Pokemon, and decided it's probably not gonna be useful to me at any point.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 03, 2018 5:52 am

I've got a few Irons planned out. How much do you want for it?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 am

I was thinking 3000? So more than I'd get for just selling it, but still a big discount on what you'd have to pay for it at a shop.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 am

Since you are 25 moneys short you can probably lower the price by thst much.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 03, 2018 7:14 am

Ahh, after I've saved everyone thousands in Mentoring (Not an exaggeration, Lessons cost like 1000 from a professional if I remember right), this is how I'm repaid, a price higher than otherwise available. Oh, the humanity! :gonk: :p

I only have 1890. We'll have to see how I go after the gym, but since +1 defence isn't my top priority I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not going to be offering all my money.
My game:

My characters:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:09 am

Hah, sorry! But it's not that bad a deal - they usually cost 4900, so 3000 is totally a ~40% discount ;)

I'll be honest though, I forgot about the Tutoring. As far as I can tell, you've only done it once for Izzy so far: giving Maku Empowered Development. So how about I drop the price to 1000 on the condition that you let Fern skip to the front of the Tutoring queue and get Drill Peck ASAP?

(Also don't forget you'll be getting 4000 for beating the Gym, so you aren't completely broke. IF you beat the Gym... :P )

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 03, 2018 5:03 pm

You've never had any natures changed? That's surprising, it's pretty much my main use of the Mentor stuff. :p
I don't think there even is a tutoring queue at the moment, considering most of the features haven't been used on this day, so I'll gladly take that offer.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Suggestions for bruce!

Salandlit: has an ability that lets them posion steel and posion pokemon and is a fire type! Just make sure you get a female!
Nidoking/queen: is a ground poison and looks bad ass
Toxapex: great defensivly but can have some offensive due to merciless.
Muk (alolan) weak only to ground attacks! Strong defensivly, and has wierd power as one of its abilities.
Stuntank weak only to ground and has assess to flamethrower.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Salandit would definitely be an amazing catch, but since female Salazzle are pretty rare, I'm not counting on it.

I haven't looked at Topapex enough to really know what to do with it for sure. I probably will when we get closer to an ocean eventually. I believe that Nidoking/queen is already on my dream team list, too. I do like Drapion a little more than Skuntank for a Poison/Dark. I'll definitely need to look more at Alolan Muk, though. Also, whether it would even be possible to get, and whether it is better than the Muk I'll be able to create really soon.

I've also thought about type synching a Steel type as well. Poison/Steel is a really strong type combo. And if I could be lucky enough to find one with ability resistances to fire or ground, then even better.
► Show Spoiler
Overall though, despite my first battle not going my way, I definitely like how my team performed. Especially Scraps and the Foongus. The combo of Mega Drain and Ingrain means that if Irene wasn't constantly using a Psychic type move, he would have taken almost zero damage. Meanwhile, Scraps, despite only getting one move off, is definitely a powerhouse. Much more powerful than I first thought he would be. And that was before I chose his final ability! My biggest regret is how I statted up Shadow. He's pretty useless until he evolves and gains some proper SpAtk moves.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Bronzong can also get Sacred Bell, which makes it resist Dark and Ghost one step further. With those three abilities alone it has no weaknesses.
My game:

My characters:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri May 04, 2018 2:36 am

SamWiser wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 pmMy biggest regret is how I statted up Shadow. He's pretty useless until he evolves and gains some proper SpAtk moves.
He should be fine once he hits Lv33 and gets Shadow Ball. Ghost is strong enough offensively that you'll only have to worry about Normal or Dark types then. You might even be able to get him close with the exp from your battle with Irene?
Plus, Confuse Ray + Mean Look is a strong enough combo that you can probably just use Stall tactics instead of direct damage. Throw in a Toxic TM (with Poison Ace buffs) and everything except Steel types will die (eventually :lol: ).

((Btw, you know Haunter's get access to Hypnosis and Lick, right? They're on the Gastly Movelist, but it's still something you can pick on creation.))

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri May 04, 2018 5:34 am

Dlover wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:14 am Ahh, after I've saved everyone thousands in Mentoring (Not an exaggeration, Lessons cost like 1000 from a professional if I remember right)
Hey, not EVERYONE! :P
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri May 04, 2018 6:14 am

You've never had any Mentor stuff done? Huh, that's surprising. No natures you want changed? No pokemon that could do with slightly better capabilities?
My game:

My characters:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:22 am

I think Drake paid too much for his one tutor session as you still have the fairy brace that he lent you for the fairy gym :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri May 04, 2018 8:20 am

Dlover wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 pm Bronzong can also get Sacred Bell, which makes it resist Dark and Ghost one step further. With those three abilities alone it has no weaknesses.
Nice! Now, who knows if M0rt would ever let me make that monstrosity, but it's fun to think about.
Dusk9 wrote:
He should be fine once he hits Lv33 and gets Shadow Ball. Ghost is strong enough offensively that you'll only have to worry about Normal or Dark types then. You might even be able to get him close with the exp from your battle with Irene?
Plus, Confuse Ray + Mean Look is a strong enough combo that you can probably just use Stall tactics instead of direct damage. Throw in a Toxic TM (with Poison Ace buffs) and everything except Steel types will die (eventually :lol: ).

((Btw, you know Haunter's get access to Hypnosis and Lick, right? They're on the Gastly Movelist, but it's still something you can pick on creation.))
I'll have to look into that combo. Maybe Most would let me switch up some moves, especially since I only used like 2 this battle?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:53 am

SamWiser wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:20 am I'll have to look into that combo. Maybe Most would let me switch up some moves, especially since I only used like 2 this battle?
If you want to know how it works, the basic idea is that you use Mean Look to slow your opponent down and stop them from being swapped out, then use Confuse Ray/Toxic/some other Status effect to deal damage-over-time. The main weakness of Confusion is that recalling removes it, but Mean Look stops that happening. And you don't have to even keep that Pokemon out either - you can just swap to a better type advantage without worrying about them doing the same.
Hypnosis + Toxic is a similar idea, but you can't use direct damage at all - you're relying entirely on the Poison to take them out. It's also less reliable because Hypnosis can miss (unlike Mean Look), and Sleep wears off eventually.

I guess the biggest problem is the set-up time, since you're looking at 2 attacks minimum to get things rolling. So Pokemon with high Evasion, defences, or dodgy abilities/capabilities work best, since they can survive long enough to make it work.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri May 04, 2018 12:18 pm

It is a very good thing they don't have any grass/ghosts that can ingrin and lock them into battle. They could just phase/be invis until opponent dies.