The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:44 am

Druid Group
Syli and Gwen get the definite sense that the trees are shifting around them; navigational landmarks seem to keep shifting slightly out of the correct direction and threatening to send the group in circles. Fortunately, the sun seems to behaving appropriately, and once you are aware of the strangeness, it is possible to make progress again. Hopefully you noticed before you went too far off track...

An hour or so passes, and then, somewhere ahead, you hear the faintest sounds of a flute.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:36 am

"You hear that? Someone's up there."

To Syli,

"You got some special way of lettin'm know it's you," gives a furtive look at the moving trees, "or can these druids talk with trees?"

Varsk doesn't let his guard down and tries to judge the distance to the music while scanning the woods. If it was him he'd put the ambush at the end when everyone was looking for the flautist.

Listening and looking for an ambush: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22

((Fewer colors in the letter palette?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:42 am

Varsk pauses and listens intently. The sound of the flute seems to fade in and out, making it hard to pinpoint, but with a little focus, he estimates that it's probably about 300 feet ahead, give or take.

He spots a pair of small deer grazing between the trees to their right.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am

I'm staying in the shrubberies.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

"Trust me on this: they already know." Syli replies. Keeping her totem at the ready, she starts cautiously approaching the sound of the flute.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Varsk glares at the deer but follows Syli.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:08 pm

"I'd trust her on that. I imagine they've been watching us for a while now." Mehr continues toward the music, keeping his wand at the ready.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:21 pm

"If they were then why the wild goose chase with a piece of vague directions?" (can't find the colour palete thing with the new theme)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:27 pm

"To make sure we actually deserve to find them? I wouldn't know."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:43 pm

The group continue onwards to a small clearing, where a young boy is sitting on a rock, playing a jig on his flute. He looks up as you approve and gives a half-grin, but doesn't stop playing. He's pretty good!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:10 pm

"Hrm. It was a clearing we were looking for, right? I'm guessing this would be it. Now the question is whether this young man is a talented player or an enchanter."

Is there magic? 1d20+2=7
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Syli crosses her arms and waits impatiently for him to finish, but has enough sense not to risk annoying their possible benefactor/ambusher too much by interrupting. As she waits, she glances around the clearing, briefly pondering whether the music had any significance, but banishing the thought as she instead simply glances about for any signs of a waiting audience.

Syli... [rolls]
...Perception (+5): 17
...Religion (+1): 5

((If you know the hexcode for that specific color, you can just use that; for example, Syli's color code is #BF00BF. Each pair of digits corresponds to either red, green, or blue (#RRGGBB) in hexadecimal))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:04 am

Kal is going up the tree if he's not there already. He knows he's been spotted, but he's not yet ready to give away more detail of his position. He's waiting to see how negotiations go. But he will take a look around to see what he can see from the new vantage point.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:39 am

((@Burns, the palette is directly to the left of the white box with "Normal" written in it.

Is the palette actually any smaller? Looks the same to me, five sets of 5x5 options.))
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:11 am

Gwen listens to the song to try to remember what it is about, or songs similar to it.
Int: 1D20-1 = [11]-1 = 10

She decides to dance alnf the jig, and maybe show off sme of her talent.
Perform: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16

(The colour pallet is defientally smaller)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Varsk is too on edge to care about the music and continues to scan the clearing for others after giving the kid a good looking over.

Giving the kid a once over then back to vigilance: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

His faces twists in confusion as Gwen decides to dance before settling back into agitation, now also with Gwen.

((Wasn't it 5x25ish before? Could be confusing it with another board though. Either way Nioca's is right, the palette size doesn't impact our actual number of choices.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:22 pm

((It still is 5x25 on my end. What are you seeing?))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 pm

((5x14. I'm looking on my phone, must be a mobile browser difference?))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:11 am

Sorry about the delay, had a busy weekend.

"I don't know much of your internal politics, but the other races around here have noticed the increased hostility and are planning to reciprocate it and turn the whole swamp into a warzone if both sides keeps ramping up. Stopping the false god will be good for everyone. Will you and those that haven't been defiled help restore order to the swamp?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am

Lizard Group
There is a long pause, during which Kal adjusts his position in the tree until he has a view of the lizardfolk in the guard post. He can't see the entire space, but he can only see the one warrior in there. He seems to be turning something small over in his right hand, but you can't see what it is...

Eventually, he speaks again:
"False god not mine... Will speak. Not... harm?"

----------------------------------------

Druid Group
The tune is lively, and Gwen steps forward to dance. She doesn't know the song, but it is bright and lively and joyful. The flutist smiles broadly, springing up to join in the dancing, gamboling happily around the small clearing while continuing to play.

The rest of the party are considerably more wary, but neither Syli nor Mehriv suspect anything significant is happening. It seems to just be a happy, carefree tune.

Around the clearing, Varsk keeps an eye on the deer, but doesn't notice anything else of concern. Syli however spots a tall, heavily muscled man casually leaning against the trunk of a tree. He doesn't seem to be making any particular effort to hide but his skin, wild hair and clothing all just seem to naturally blend in with the colours of the forest. As Syli meets his gaze, he gives a small nod, but otherwise doesn't move.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:31 am

"We won't hurt you if you don't attack us. If you're not worshipping the false god, then we've come to talk to you. But what's that in your hand?" (Staying in Common for now, so the party understands, but might switch to Draconic for more detailed discussion.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 am

As Gwen gambols about with the flutist, Syli quietly makes her way over to the wild man by the edge of the clearing. Murmuring in druidic, she says, "You greet all your guests with a performance? Or is this just how he normally spends the day?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 am

The lizardfolk startles at the voice from the tree, and spins to see where the sound has come from, shortbow in hand (but not drawn).

He hisses angrily, and shouts out:
"No! You tricks! Go down, come out!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:44 am

I'll step out, bow at my side.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:45 am

The wild looking man doesn't move as Syli approaches, but replies in druidic.

"He plays his songs for everything.

Welcome, youngling. This place has been a sanctuary for our kind for many seasons. You will find rest and peace here if you keep the law."