Shinng! 3/12/18

Discuss the comic here!
TheOneThatGotAway
Whispers Softly

Re: Shinng! 3/12/18

Post by TheOneThatGotAway » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 am

Just noticed something. Since just before Korre came into sight, Parchment has been hiding... somewhere. Are we going to see him/her/it swoop in to save the day soon?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 am

If Kore is worth a dwarf's beard, one Lightning Bolt ain't gonna slow him down. He'll break out of a Hold Person too easily... so my next choice would be Summon Monster III to keep him busy, then Fly to lure him over the pit trap and let his IME do the rest. Maybe.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 am

If her tail really is (more or less) indestructible all she has to do is keep tail between herself and his attacks. Obviously easier said than done, but still a huge advantage.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:53 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:If her tail really is (more or less) indestructible all she has to do is keep tail between herself and his attacks. Obviously easier said than done, but still a huge advantage.
And unlike Forgath, Kin can control her tail's shape and movement voluntarily. Hell she killed Scorpi-Kin with her normal tail.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:16 am

Forgive me if this has been discussed other places, but what do you we assume this indestructible tail actually grants to Kin, the player? Just a huge AC bonus?

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:27 am

Alright. I just want to bring to mind the utter confusion Kore has in panel 6. Scary monster, he just rolled init and attacked this green *thing* behind him, and now his axe is broken and the monster isn't even damaged at all. You can see all this in his eye, and I love it.
The point is to have fun.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:31 am

Swiftbow wrote:Just wondering... isn't Kore a dwarf? His hand appears to be bigger than Kin's entire head in this update. And in the last, he towered over her, looking to be about 8-9 feet tall.
BuildsLegos wrote:Thunt has gone on record that dwarves a) live for centuries and b) keep growing and becoming more stone-like; that Kore is so much bigger than Forgath is because he is all but confirmed at this point as the Last Greyhill Paladin.
And by "all but confirmed", Forgath seems confident about it. Thunt ought to sneak this idea into Forgath's casual discussions with Idle & Bowst.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:49 pm

TheOneThatGotAway wrote:Just noticed something. Since just before Korre came into sight, Parchment has been hiding... somewhere. Are we going to see him/her/it swoop in to save the day soon?
He was in sight for us during the discussion...

Parchment is hiding on the wall.
One page back (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-4-2018), panel 1. On top of one of the symbols, which took its colour.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Liquidmark
Speaks Quietly

Post by Liquidmark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Rooks wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed other places, but what do you we assume this indestructible tail actually grants to Kin, the player? Just a huge AC bonus?
Her tail is probably treated as entirely indestructible and immune to damage. At least in terms to melee damage. Maybe certain spells/magic energy can dispel her tail or cause severe damage to it.

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Krulle wrote:
TheOneThatGotAway wrote:Just noticed something. Since just before Korre came into sight, Parchment has been hiding... somewhere. Are we going to see him/her/it swoop in to save the day soon?
He was in sight for us during the discussion...

Parchment is hiding on the wall.
One page back (http://goblinscomic.com/comic/page-4-2018), panel 1. On top of one of the symbols, which took its colour.
:shock: Sunufa....wow. That's quite a catch!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:50 pm

Not my catch. ForgetsKeys caught it andposted first about him. I just remembered having checked after he wrote it, and thus simply was first to answer you.
So, praise goes to ForgetsKeys.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Changes_everything
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Changes_everything » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm

I'd like her to try Banishment on Kore. He'll surely fail the Charisma check, then return after one minute, only to fall into the drop space below, provided Kin and Parchment have cleared the passageway...

Maelphaxerazz
Remains Silent

Post by Maelphaxerazz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:13 pm

One thing I am wondering: did Tarol ever say if yuan-ti in his setting work like D&D yuan-ti? Kin would fit under the Halfblood subrace, going by her looks compared to yuan-ti descriptions in the books; but yuan-ti halfbloods have considerable psionic powers and she hasn't used any of those on camera. I always figured that Kin's kindred is effectively a custom race, but it'd be good to know for sure.

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Maelphaxerazz wrote:One thing I am wondering: did Tarol ever say if yuan-ti in his setting work like D&D yuan-ti? Kin would fit under the Halfblood subrace, going by her looks compared to yuan-ti descriptions in the books; but yuan-ti halfbloods have considerable psionic powers and she hasn't used any of those on camera. I always figured that Kin's kindred is effectively a custom race, but it'd be good to know for sure.
The leash suppresses the Yuan-Ti power. Can't find the archive page though.

ETA:http://goblinscomic.com/comic/10222006
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Maelphaxerazz
Remains Silent

Post by Maelphaxerazz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:58 pm

Good catch. In that case Kin is indeed a D&D Yuan-ti halfblood. Which is good, because it means she has another 7 Monstrous Humanoid HD in addition to her Wizard levels. She may not have her psi-like abilities, but the extra HP will come very handy when Kore gets his turn.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Part of me wonders if Kin will just hide her tail again and try to say "Oh, I'm sorry that I hit you with the lightning bolt, I was aiming for the monster... Can we join up now?" o:)
(which, as we know already, he will turn down, and even if he hadn't that disposition before, he might have now, after getting 'accidentally' fried;)
It wouldn't even be a lie, because in Kin's eyes, Kore is probably just as much of a monster as the Goblinslayer was.

Edit: Rats. I forgot that it was MinMax saying Dellyn was a monster.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Bapuvitttssf
Of Few Words

Post by Bapuvitttssf » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:52 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Part of me wonders if Kin will just hide her tail again and try to say "Oh, I'm sorry that I hit you with the lightning bolt, I was aiming for the monster... Can we join up now?" o:)
I guess you said that as a joke, but I think panels 6 & 7 show Kore understanding this green "tentacle" is made of the same material as Forgath's beard, hence Kin knows that evil dwarf (and the evil human known as Minmax too).

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 am

Tarol confirmed recently (yet again) that the comic is d&d 3.0 / 3.5 / homebrew. So I think it's fair to look closely at SRD descriptions of all the spells that will be cast.
With all that metal he carries, hopefully there's a stunning effect attached to that lightning bolt, and she can control the next round.
Nope, Lightning Bolt doesn't have that. Not even a stated bonus to opponents in metal armor, though that would likely be common sense clause and Tarol would agree to that.

She's about level 5-6, so she did about 17-20 dmg, estimated. There's no way Kore's HP is below triple digits. The road ahead is still too long. I'ld say, best chance is still trying to run away from the room and dropping the floor.
Liquidmark wrote:
Rooks wrote:Forgive me if this has been discussed other places, but what do you we assume this indestructible tail actually grants to Kin, the player? Just a huge AC bonus?
Her tail is probably treated as entirely indestructible and immune to damage. At least in terms to melee damage. Maybe certain spells/magic energy can dispel her tail or cause severe damage to it.
Nah, Psymax was more about cheating, so most likely it's just something like 2,147,483,647 AC. I would also like to stress that Kins said "almost impervious to phy dmg", not "completely immune". So a high AC, rather than invulnerability.

Maelphaxerazz
Remains Silent

Post by Maelphaxerazz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 am

However, D&D does not normally track body parts separately. Mechanically speaking, except in cases where the tail itself is targeted, having a psionically armoured tail would lend a relatively modest AC bonus, as enemies would target her fleshy bits rather than her armoured bits. It'd still help, since having part of your body protected means there's less area for the enemy to target, but it wouldn't help like 2,147,483,647 AC would help.

rwstyles
Whispers Softly

Post by rwstyles » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:59 am

Not to complain, but plate armor should be essentially immune to lightning in RL. Not sure how the official rules treat it. Holes in the armor, eg to see through would be vulnerable.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 am

I recall there's a precedence in DnD for "called shots", where the player will declare before rolling to attack what part of the enemy they're attacking and have supporting stats as a result. Several times in this story, characters have targeted specific body-parts for this advantage; now Kin is flipping that dynamic on its head.

Styles, I believe you're referring to the effect cars have of deflecting lightning across the outside so that we in the fabric seats remain safe. But that doesn't apply to Kore's helmet if nothing else, because that metal is directly touching his meta-face and may even encourage the (further) frying of his brain.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am

The way AC was always explained to me was that AC was just taking into account all the impervious parts of your body. So if you had on Plate Armor, the higher AC number was how you accounted for making it harder for an opponent to get lucky enough to hit a exposed area in combat.

So, if you suddenly had over 50% of your body made impervious to physical attack, I'd imagine at least a +6 AC bonus, if not a +8 (same as plate armor) since even plate armor you'd have areas of weakness in. This is basically saying half her body can't be affected by physical attack and she can easily use that part of her body as a shield. The more I talk about the more I'd even agree with a +10 AC. Either way, that would be HUGE for any wizard, let alone a 5th level wizard (assuming she's using her highest level spell right away).

I think Kin is going to be just fine in this fight.

Teiresias
Remains Silent

Post by Teiresias » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 am

Electricity follows the path of least resistance. If Kore is not sweating and has relatively dry skin, the plate armor will likely have vastly less electrical resistance than his skin. The real question is, how well grounded is the armor? If the stone offers a reasonably conductive path to ground, then the armor may act as a faraday cage and protect Forgath, but if the ground is not very conductive, then I'm not sure what would happen...the lightning could fizzle, or Kore could roast. TBH electricity is fickle and I'm no physicist.

TheSedated
Of Few Words

Post by TheSedated » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:24 am

Teiresias a farraday cage doesn't have to have good connection to the ground. You're safe in a car, that's true, but cars do have tires made of rubber, which is a very good isolator. Even the metal carcass inside the tires doesn't get their electrical resistance down because it has no direct connection to the rest of the car and forms a farraday cage itself.
Also, you don't need to have a very conductive floor or something, that doesn't matter. Electricity is heavily based on potentials. For example, lt's say you're made of 100 atoms and the olanet around you is made of 100 billions atoms. Now you somehow acquire 100 electrons from earth. The earth won't notice a difference, but you'll be loaded as f*ck with static electricity. Now if you touch a stone wall, the additional electrons will mostly move back to earth and the potential difference will decrease. And that will happen even on bad conductors. The only exception are isolators.

But that could lead to another problem in the comic. Imagine Kore's soles are isolators, after getting zapped by lightning bolt, he is loaded with electricity, like a capacitor. He would zap the first thing he touches with lightning bolt.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 pm

SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:She's about level 5-6, so she did about 17-20 dmg, estimated. There's no way Kore's HP is below triple digits. The road ahead is still too long. I'ld say, best chance is still trying to run away from the room and dropping the floor.
I dunno... I think she might be higher level than that. Why would she have left the Maze of Many so early, at such a relatively low level? That's barely beyond what Forgath had. Surely she could have wrung more advantage out of the unique MoM setup than that! I mean, sure, she probably opened with the best spell she had prepared, but that doesn't always mean the highest-level spell. Lightning Bolt gets more deadly as the magic-user's level goes up, which makes it a powerful opening gambit for a high-level wizard.

I'm sure she's still in for the fight of her life, but I'm not convinced she's that overmatched. We'll get more clues about her actual level when we see what other spells she uses.

We do know she doesn't have Fly. If she did this pit-trap room wouldn't have had her so worried, three pages back.

Edited to add: But her remarks about being puzzled by her IME and maybe understanding more as she advances in levels suggests that she has not reached an extremely high level. She isn't on a level with Kore, for sure. You could be right -- she might have left the Maze early for some reason. Or maybe she's somewhere in the... 7-9 range? What clues has Thunt dropped for us about how IME details become more defined with level? Does anyone remember?
► Show Spoiler