February 26th, 2018: Take My Hand

Discuss the comic here!
speakslittle
Of Few Words

Re: February 26th, 2018: Take My Hand

Post by speakslittle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Or more accurately, yet to be directly confirmed in a single page. I've been trying to tell you people for a while now that a perception-altering curse

I wonder what Kore's IME looks like to Kore.

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Mindlink wrote:
AXIS wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:Well I'm Left-handed and I always offer my left hand for a handshake.. like it or else!
You don't really actually do that to people right? That was a joke?
You are aware that in the West, you put your ACTIVE hand out, so all lefthanded people shake with their left hand. And in Asia, the left hand is the most common hand to shake with, not the right hand.
Well I'm not going to say how it is in the US, because I don't really know.

But in Australia everyone shakes with their right hand, whether they are left handed or right handed.

Offering your left hand to someone here will get you a weird look like your some kind of an idiot something. Lefties are too at in the minority to make that acceptable.

The way it's done here is you shake with your right, and wear a watch and wedding ring on your left.

I would have expected the US to be pretty similar, surprised it's not.

But then Australia did have a bit of a history of forcing left handed children to write with their right hand back in the olden days, maybe it's related to that.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:35 pm

New Zealanders also shake hands with our right hands, even if we're left-handed (like me). It's not like it's a difficult convention to master, if society expects it. It certainly looks weird Kore offering his left hand to shake.

Wedding ring on the left? - definitely. Only put a ring of protection +1 on the right.
Watch on the left? - Not so clear cut: a fair number of left-handers wear their watch on their right. I used to, but haven't worn a watch in years.

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 pm

AXIS wrote: The way it's done here is you shake with your right, and wear a watch and wedding ring on your left.

I would have expected the US to be pretty similar, surprised it's not.

But then Australia did have a bit of a history of forcing left handed children to write with their right hand back in the olden days, maybe it's related to that.
I mean, end of the day, I think most people probably don't really notice or care. But like with stocking the toilet paper over or under (over, you heathens, who wants to reach down and behind the roll?), there's totally a "right" answer. :D Ring on the left, "closest to your heart". Keys in your right pocket because that's the side the ignition is on. You're liable to be in and out of that pocket more which means watch goes on the left or you'll fray your pants pockets more quickly. I'll accept watch on the right for left-handers, but then you're keeping your keys in your left pocket.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 pm

I'm not a big hand shaker, but I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone shaking hands with their left hand until this thread.
wikipedia wrote:A handshake is a short ritual in which two people grasp one of each other's like hands, in most cases accompanied by a brief up-and-down movement of the grasped hands.

Using the right hand is generally considered proper etiquette. Customs surrounding handshakes are specific to cultures. Different cultures may be more or less likely to shake hands, or there may be different customs about how or when to shake hands.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:00 am

Nothing in the Wikipedia article about fictional dwarves and/or yuan-ti shaking hands then? :D

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:44 am

I've shook left-handed when someone's right hand was full, or injured, or disabled. The normal way to do it is for the other person to grasp the left with both hands.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 am

Mindlink wrote:
AXIS wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:Well I'm Left-handed and I always offer my left hand for a handshake.. like it or else!
You don't really actually do that to people right? That was a joke?
You are aware that in the West, you put your ACTIVE hand out, so all lefthanded people shake with their left hand. And in Asia, the left hand is the most common hand to shake with, not the right hand.
You are kidding right? In India, they would never shake with their left as it is the arse wiping hand, that's why Indians only eat with their right hand.
Japanese people invented the handshake. It was used to show that they held no weapon and could not draw one as they were shaking yours (all weapons where stored on the left side).

I am Chinese and I don't know anyone that shakes with their left hand.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:09 am

RidcullyJack wrote:New Zealanders also shake hands with our right hands, even if we're left-handed (like me). It's not like it's a difficult convention to master, if society expects it. It certainly looks weird Kore offering his left hand to shake.

Wedding ring on the left? - definitely. Only put a ring of protection +1 on the right.
Watch on the left? - Not so clear cut: a fair number of left-handers wear their watch on their right. I used to, but haven't worn a watch in years.
I hope that Kin remembers Minmax offering her his other hand...

Anyway, wedding ring is a different thing.
In theNetherlands (mainly protestant), you wear engagement rings on the right hand, and wediing rind on the left hand.
Germany, mainly catholic, does it vice versa.
Originally, it came from the caholic/protestant schism, and it propagated to the whole countries.

I give a different reason for wearing a wedding ring on my laft hand. I'm a righty, and when doing dirty or abrasive works, I need that hand free of stuff that can get caught up.
I am so unhandy with my left hand, that I cannot wear a watch on that arm without it scraping along walls and the like, so I wore a watch on my right arm. Now I'm doing office work, and have no need for a watch anymore, too many screens with the time in front of me anyway...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 am

speakslittle wrote:
BuildsLegos wrote:Or more accurately, yet to be directly confirmed in a single page. I've been trying to tell you people for a while now that a perception-altering curse
That's actually a really good point; focusing on just that -or even at all- will probably only make things worse.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:35 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:Nothing in the Wikipedia article about fictional dwarves and/or yuan-ti shaking hands then? :D
Not yet... :chuckle:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Thunt was saying today, as we playtested G:AR that what's happening is:

1. Kore is beginning to get suspicious of Kin. (Of course.)

2. The test is whether she reaches out her hand, showing the correct (for a human) number of fingers.

3. Kore reaching out with the wrong hand is a mistake on his part but deliberate on Thunt's part. People not knowing much about the customs of other races is a longstanding theme. Like how the GAP didn't know humans ate disgusting stuff like cheese, and were bewildered by how humans survive when they discover that they can't see in the dark. So Kore has heard that shaking hands is a human custom but is fuzzy on the details.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 am

BuildsLegos wrote:Or more accurately, yet to be directly confirmed in a single page. I've been trying to tell you people for a while now that a perception-altering curse is the only way a paladin can both commit evil and keep their powers; the tabletop clerk at the mall said so! (Really, I asked about that and the details of Fumbles' accidental and regretful near-slaying of an innocent. Then when I was finally ready to buy some books with birthday money, they were gone.)
I'd be really annoyed if this turns out to be the case, but the only other solution I can think of is some variant of "for the greater good..."
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:23 pm

So glad to hear that most aspects of Tarols life are running well. Colorist is great, Posts are regular, G:AR is proceeding, Marital Bliss is blissworthy (well, it might not be but I think there is plenty of love flowing from what I see) and Tarol is in such a better place knowing his health issue has been pre-emptively solved. So good to see so many good things happening right now as well as getting regular updates of Goblins.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:30 pm

If it wasn't obvious prior, the 7-month break of 2014 showed that Thunt really hit the marital jackpot. In a perfect world, the quality of their relationship would be slightly above average.

Piximae
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Piximae » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 pm

Actually, here in the USA it is the right hand. I funny think I've ever been offered a left hand before, whether it's their dominant hand or not.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 am

Sometimes in church when we were all shaking hands, two people (probably not noticing each other) offered to shake my hand at the same time, or my bible was in the relevant hand. I'll shake left hands with my right and vice-versa if I have to, just watch me.

Teiresias
Remains Silent

Post by Teiresias » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am

Funny enough, in the US the only group I know of that shakes with the left hand is boy scouts. So Thunt just confirmed that Kore is an Eagle Scout, what do you know.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:27 am

That joke would work if Kore was a citizen of the United States.

speakslittle
Of Few Words

Post by speakslittle » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:40 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:
speakslittle wrote:
That's actually a really good point; focusing on just that -or even at all- will probably only make things worse.
Wait...what? No, I like it. While I agree with the other poster that a perception-altering curse might be a bit of a letdown, it certainly appears to be the most plausible thing we've got going on. And it made me wonder what he thinks his IME is. Does he think it's angel wings, and he's getting a feather for every evildoer he slays? Does he know that it looks like the savagely bound souls of the creatures he has killed? What if it's even more nefarious and it's something like "just the non-evils"?

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation

Post by BuildsLegos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:37 pm

You might be misunderstanding me; I mean to say the IME is probably a hazardous endeavor for Kin. It's not like she'll be able to delay combat much longer, but I think any concrete suggestion that there's anything wrong with Kore is one of Kore's many triggers.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Did Minmax teach Kin how to shake hands? Maybe at her birthday party? She'd know it's the wrong hand and be able to call him on that. And... Her right hand is inside a fancy metal gauntlet which might obscure the number of fingers she has.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:44 am

Gonna repeat Thunt's tweet again:
Krulle wrote:
Yes, this image of someone leaning towards her (in this case Kore) to offer a hand may trigger this memory of Minmax reaching for her.
At least I am hoping so.

mustache_man
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by mustache_man » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:33 am

There's is nothing in this image that even hints that "Humans shake hands wih their right hands".

1. He was not offering a hand shake, he was offering a helping hand to get her through the portal.
2. Offering the other hand would be extremely awkward simply beacause of the way they are positioned, as he would have to either cross his left arm over his chest or else turn aroun and look over his shoulder.

It's possible they had an off-panel discussion about handshakes and learned it or maybe she already knew it. And its not really a rule everywhere. In Brazil we usually shake with the right hand, but I've seen people shake with the left, especially if the right hand is busy (or dirty) and nobody cares.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:34 am

On top of that, she's been with Goblinslayer often enough in a pub. Likely she may have observed the custom there....