MotBM (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: MotBM (OOC)

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 pm

That's the correct reading of it. The reason that it has the wording of being able to choose which is used is to distinguish it from the mechanically different halfling racial trait.
Lucky: When you roll a 1 on the d20 for an Attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
So if you have the Lucky feat and you aren't quite sure if it's good enough, and roll again, but roll lower, you can still take your first roll... maybe it was enough after all.

There is an odd RAW/RAI issue with the Lucky feat when you have disadvantage...
Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.
It doesn't say you reroll anything, just that you roll an additional d20, and can choose which of the d20s is used. RAW, you could have disadvantage and roll 2 die, then spend a Luck point to roll a 3rd die, then presumably choose the highest of those as the one you use. Jeremy Crawford (D&D Rules guy) has said that the intent would be that disadvantage would be applied first, and Luck point would let you choose between what you roll and the lower of the first two. A bit bonkers in that you're being statistically rewarded for being at disadvantage, but he's stated that it plays into the Lucky flavor of the feat well enough that it's not in their interest to errata it and tell people they can't do it that way, but instead is up to each DM how they apply it in their game.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Yeah, I saw that and figured that was the easiest way to apply the ruling - resolve the disadvantage first, then decide if you're feeling Lucky :)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:50 am

OK. Art is now officially, LUCKY.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:53 am

Hmm...seeing Warryn's move, I now hope there is something stopping Art...and Warryn, from backing out of the room! :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:16 am

You know, I'd be mad about just killing, but I'm actually pretty glad that we're killing this one. And future ones too, probably.

The more we kill the less overly complex names we will have to remember. :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 am

If it makes you feel better, I don't think this one was very friendly. Not from the way Thinks described it, at any rate. It reminds me of a Sphinx - a vicious creature that has fun with mortals using riddles/challenges, but will kill without a second thought.

And yeah, it's name is ridiculous too. Not even sure how to start pronouncing that... :roll:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:45 am

Oh, yeah, are we putting up an area where we can list names and what they want/notes somewhere?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 am

A Google doc might be the simplest way for you all to share access to something? If you get something set up we can easily link to it from the top post.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 am

I was actually thinking of setting up a Google Doc for everyone's character's tonight. I'll add a sheet for NPCs too.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:09 am

Alright, here's the Google Doc (which totally didn't steal the template for from one of the other games :paranoia: ). Go ahead and request editing permissions, then you can add your details into your sheet. The GROUP tab should update automatically as long as you use the existing sheets, so don't worry about that.

For the NPC sheet I just threw down some notes, feel free to expand on them if you can think of stuff to add!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 am

Incidentally, I believe there's a fungus theme in the names. Cyanoxanthia sounded latin to me so I googled it and sure enough, it's a mushroom. So's the false Chanterelle, and the prisoner from the first room was named after a mushroom too (though none of you asked her name). I haven't googled anything else to see how far this goes but my guess is that the writers pulled names out of a field guide :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 am

Why is it always mushrooms...

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 pm

I knew I was supposed to join this game! :lol:

A shame I abstained but likely for the best :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 am

Did my Investigation and Nature checks pick anything up, Thinks?

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:07 am

Going to be offline until around 6PM CST. Maybe a bit later. Got a meeting/lecture in another town today. Thinks can run Dain if something needs to be done in the meantime. Right now he's just checking the bridges for safety.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 am

I vote Aura and/or Art be the face of the party going forward. Since they're the least likely to offend everyone we meet. Maybe Ah'Sereen too, unless she wants to hang back with the wizards and be all stealthy/insightful. At the very least Aura should probably take the lead, with her +3 Persuasion :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 am

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:And having a non photogenic, grumpy dwarf be the party spokesman doesn't sound like a good idea either. I agree that one of the ladies should take this one. Warryn and Dain can be the fire support in the background. I would say, though, that if the shooting starts that whoever is in front better clear out fast. Dain and Warryn may not be terribly concerned about preventing collateral damage....
Haha yeah. Warryn's not dumb enough to shoot his meatshields in the back, but he might not be too concerned about them being caught on the edge of a Fireball.... ;)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 am

Art is fine having Aura or whomever talk, but he was more concerned so far about having one of the others just start fighting immediately, instead, so he has tried to be a bit more of the diplomat.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:53 am

Welp, seems we've found the medusa's boy... so... yeah...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:59 am

....so we're totally killing the medusa's kid, right? Nothing could possibly go wrong with that... :paranoia:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:43 am

Not yet.....
There's some potential here, depending on the kid.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Detect evil no longer has anything to do with alignment in 5e, so deciding whether someone is good or evil is down to your own personal moral compass.

You can detect fiends and celestials though :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:36 pm

So, apparently I've chosen to enable his pica. Let's find out what this kid won't try to eat!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:47 pm

I think I'm about to get in touch with my inner villain. :shudder: :evillaugh: Something I hadn't foreseen: Dain and Warryn might start working together.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm going to need to check Volo's guide when I get home. Yuan-ti are super varied and they seem to be listed as both humanoid and monstrosities depending on the "breed". I'm inclined to say this kid is not humanoid right now though,just because he's such a mutant.

UPDATE: Yeah, hes not humanoid. From now on I'll get you to make checks in-game for this kind of thing (or you can trial and error it :) ))