The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:11 pm

I know I'm out of ki, but not sure on HP, will have to check.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Looking at the sheet I see that Theis is there but the group page is locked and I can't add a line for Merric. He has got 20 hp max...

Korrik got hit for 8 damage on the first fight of the day (arrow in the back). I don't think Merric got hit there.

This battle Korrik is down 0 damage and Merric is down 13 (3 from a shortbow hit, 10 from javelin in the back).

So I have got Korrik down 8 total and Merric down 13 total. Assuming the totals listed are correct I have updated the sheets so that Korrik and Merric both have 7 hp remaining. I would note that this is the max they have remaining as I may have missed some damage.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 pm

That sounds right to me, I had a look through and didn't see any more I should have.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Yeah I added a sheet for Merric based off the MythWeavers page, but I don't know how to add him to the group list.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:38 pm

I think only the person who actually owns the document can modify the group list anyway. Was that Spider? But in the meantime, I did the tedious work of adding Merric to the Abilities and Proficiencies page (Added the column and adjusted the references to be the right page, which is just really repetitive), but I don't know what languages Merric speaks, and while I assume he doesn't have darkvision I could be wrong.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Dlover wrote:I think only the person who actually owns the document can modify the group list anyway. Was that Spider?

Yeah, I copied it over from what Theis2, Badge (and others?) built for my game, if you request edit powers, I can grant them to you.

((Thanks Rodgeir for looking up my HPs! Thinks, I promise I'll do better!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:09 pm

It's no odds to me :) To be honest, as long as I need to be on the laptop doing updates with photoshop it's absolutely zero effort to just do the HPs at the same time.

I'll get you guys an update tomorrow though, I've been out all evening and only just back.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:52 am

spiderwrangler wrote:((Thanks Rodgeir for looking up my HPs! Thinks, I promise I'll do better!))
It was either that or go to bed and be well rested. I am confident I made the right choice. :zzz:

It is also (partly) the reason I post my action so early... it is just easier to do my rolls and write things when I am sitting at a computer.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Nioca wrote: ((Huh. Apparently penalties for shooting into melee is no longer a thing in 5e. Not that I'm complaining.))
((At DM discretion, it's sort of handled by rules for cover in 5e, if you don't have a clean shot at them due to someone else being in the way, your target can be considered to have half cover (+2 AC).))
I'm considering all creatures to provide cover for all other creatures if they block the line of fire but I haven't thought much further than that. Apparently there's an optional ruling where:

if a ranged attack would have hit a target creature if not for the cover bonus and
the cover if provided by another creature, and
if the ranged attack roll beats the covering-creature's AC,

then the covering creature takes the damage from the hit.

I don't think it's come up in game as yet, but it's a rule we can implement if you guys want to. Let me know either way.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:31 pm

That's how I'm now running cover from another creature in mine, I originally had the same sort of thing, but less clear way of handling numbers. I think the only time that covering another came up in mine, it didn't beat Zephyr's AC, so hit her, but deflected off her armor.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:49 pm

So is that one vote for including the variant rules?

For anything involving combat without a map I think we'd probably need to assume that firing into melee meant that everyone was covering everyone else in the fracas and friendly fire is always a risk.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:27 pm

I think the variant only really works with a map, when it's clear who is covering who... It becomes a jumble of trying to deal with cover in general when doing more 'theater of the mind', unless you're describing who is covering who each time prior to players deciding who to attack.

I'll agree with the consensus, while I've been using ranged fairly often, I'm more likely to be a melee combatant as we go along...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:48 pm

yeah, exactly. Without a map it'd need to be all-or-nothing I think. Any large battles will be almost certainly be mapped though, so whatever you guys prefer is fine by me.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:27 pm

My suggestion is that without a map we just roll a die to see which target in the melee it hits. :p

Also, does a small character like a halfling provide only Half Cover? :p
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm

I believe that any creature is considered to provide half cover, RAW.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:33 pm

I just can't see a halfling providing as much cover as the taller races. A dwarf maybe because they're wider, but not a halfling.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:38 pm

I think it comes down to DM discretion, but there isn't a quarter cover distinction, so having a halfling in front of you is either no cover, or half cover. But if you discount halflings and gnomes, you'd have to do the same for goblins, etc.... and then if the target is a halfling, and a dragonborn is in front of them, is that then 3/4 cover? Full cover? If a small race is trying to shoot past a half orc, is that harder for them than if they were a human? Do they then get a higher penalty?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:46 pm

yeah, everyone causes 1/2 cover regardless of size. It's not entirely realistic, but it's good enough as an abstraction when everyone would be moving around anyway. I'd probably say you'd get 3/4 cover if someone was grappling and deliberately using the other creature for cover (like they do in movies :) ).

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:49 pm

A tiny cat/spider would provide 1/2 cover?
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 pm

By RAW, I can't see anything that specifies an effect that varies by size so I guess, yeah. We'll play it by ear though because that probably isn't going to make sense in all circumstances.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Walls, trees, creatures, and other obstacles can provide cover during combat, making a target more difficult to harm. A target can benefit from cover only when an attack or other effect originates on the opposite side of the cover.
There are three degrees of cover. If a target is behind multiple sources of cover, only the most protective degree of cover applies; the degrees arenÔÇÖt added together. For example, if a target is behind a creature that gives half cover and a tree trunk that gives three--quarters cover, the target has three--quarters cover.

A target with half cover has a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall, a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend.

A target with three--quarters cover has a +5 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has three--quarters cover if about three--quarters of it is covered by an obstacle. The obstacle might be a portcullis, an arrow slit, or a thick tree trunk.

A target with total cover canÔÇÖt be targeted directly by an attack or a spell, although some Spells can reach such a target by including it in an area of effect. A target has total cover if it is completely concealed by an obstacle.
Emphasis mine, if it isn't gauged by the DM that the creature covers at least half of its body, they could say provides no cover. Sort where half cover is the default, but up to the DM to adjudicate.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm

EDIT: I've been trying to decide if a swarm of tiny things would provide cover or if they would just obscure a target. That's the main exception I can think of for tiny creatures.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:58 pm

I feel like you'd have to have a LOT of bugs to actually deflect an arrow or something off the target... A fire attack would just be enhanced. So mechanically it's easiest to just say they obscure. :p
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Yeah, I agree. We'll deal with it later if it ever comes up :D

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:06 pm

thinkslogically wrote:((I'll be honest, she was the one within reach :) ))
Arch Lich Burns wrote:(Fair enough! I just don't expect us to survive this deadly fight!)
I think we still got a chance; a lot's going to depend on the archers' next salvo. If they land a strong hit and drop another PC without us taking one of them down, we're probably screwed. If they get lucky and drop two, I pretty much guarantee it's curtains as far as this fight goes. But if everyone survives the next salvo, there is a chance of turning things around. And if not, on the bright side, they do seem to be interested in capturing instead of outright killing, so anyone who pulls through on their DSTs at least has a shot of an escape or rescue further down the line.