The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Korrik hurries south, pausing only briefly to hurl a dart at the machete-wielding lizard en route, and smiling to himself as he sees it stick deep. He winds up next to Kal (who I forgot to move last turn).

Mehriv back up to the east, readying a Ray of Frost and keeping his eyes firmly fixed on the lizardfolk to the west.

Merric stays put in the trees. He fires off another shot, but it's deflected by the branches.

The lizardfolk in the north spread out, and one charges to engage Kal, but swings wildly with both machete and spiked shield and doesn't land either.
One archer targets Gwen, one dashes to the southern copse of trees, and the other targets Kal. Nobody hits anything.
Varsl dashes to the not-so-sneaky lizard archer to say hi.

---------------------------------------------------------

Korrik
Mehriv
Merric
Lizardfolk (NW group)
Varsk
Kal <-----
Syli
Gwen
Lizardfolk (west group)
Human woman

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:16 pm

I stifle a squeak of surprise with a feigned cough as Kal appears out of nowhere.

((No complaints about suddenly being adjacent to the Protection Paladin from me!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:27 pm

((Well, thankfully the dice hate Thinks as much as they hate us. :p ))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Dlover wrote:((Well, thankfully the dice hate Thinks as much as they hate us. :p ))

:lol: I know right? The levels of competence right now are truly staggering!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Gwen tries to do shoot somethig and be productive. It was not productive.
Eldrich blast : 1D20+6 = [3]+6 = 9
1D10 = [6] = 6

EDIT: Kal's blessing blessing: 1D4 = [4] = 4 So that's a total of 13 so maybe?
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Syli hops to her feet, taking cover next to a chunk of rubble (Stand, Move 1 South). Dropping another bullet in her sling, she eyes the two lizardmen, waiting till one of them gets close enough to easily nail with a slingstone.

Ready: If a lizardman moves within 30ft of Syli.
--Sling (+5): 21 to-hit, 5 damage bludgeoning

((Not that it matters in this case, but I wonder how I'd go about using .5 feet of movement. :lol: ))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 pm

I can take a 5 foot step without provoking an AOO, right? Darn. That would have been handy.

Kal casts Bless on himself, Merric, and Gwen, and then steps northeast to stand next to Merric within shield range.

So we all get a bonus d4 to attack rolls and saving throws, and attacks against Merric are made at a disadvantage.
Last edited by WearsHats on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: RIP 5 foot step
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 pm

((5 ft step is no more. If you move out of an enemies melee range without taking the Disengage Action, it provokes an opportunity attack.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

((you can run round them in circles though, as long as you don't leave their melee range. Do with that whatever you will :lol:

To move out of melee range requires you to take the disengage action though, to actually answer your question))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:05 pm

(If I wasn't already bloodied, I'd do it anyway. Only moving out of melee range of one of them. But not worth the risk right now. Merric could step closer to me so I can shield him, if he wants. But that puts him in range of the other lizard. I'm leave that to him. Hopefully we'll be able to take them quickly, especially with the attack bonus.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Kal keeps his eyes on the lizard warrior next to him as he casts bless on himself, Merric and Korrik.

Syli scootches south and readies her sling in case one of the lizardfolk comes into range.

Gwen targets the lizard warrior with a blast of energy, but even with her blessing it's not a good enough shot and it blasts off its shield.

The archer next to Varsk roars in anger, tosses his bow and arrow to the side and rakes at Varsk with powerful, hooked claws (which miss) and bites him hard in the leg (which hurts). Varsk takes 4 damage. [sheet updated]
The two lizardfolk to the south sprint at Syli and Mehriv. The one in the north comes into range first and takes the hit from Syli's slingshot, but shrugs it off and keeps coming.

The human woman cowers further back into the rubble, but if she's trying to hide she does a poor job of it.

-----------------------------------------------

Korrik <-----
Mehriv
Merric
Lizardfolk (NW group)
Varsk
Kal
Syli
Gwen
Lizardfolk (west group)
Human woman
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:24 pm

((Move 5ft diagonally SW.))

I step past Kal to his left, and swing my quarterstaff at the lizard's scaly snoot...

Quarterstaff: 1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14

...following it up with a punch at the midsection.

Unarmed Strike: 1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13

((Ugh, feel like I could really use that bless, but I think Kal wanted to cast it on Merric and Gwen, not Korrik and Gwen. Pesky halfling naming conventions sounding alike and all!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:33 pm

(I'm going off the map. The spell has a limited range. So I cast it on the party members in ra... wait a sec. I've been reading the map wrong, haven't I? That's Korrik to my right, not a second lizard? The boxes are the same color. If it's not too late to retcon, I'd cast the spell on our melee fighters and the party members closest to me. So that would be Merric and Korrik.)

► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Merric sees the protective way Kal waves his shield and opts the be a part of that protection and moves next to him just one square to the west. He then shoots the lizardfolk near him with an eldritch blast!

Bless bonus: 1D4 = [3] = 3
Merric Eldritch blast: 1D20+5 = [11]+5+3 = 19
Eldritch blast damage: 1D10 = [8] = 8

You can have my bless if you want, Merric likes to share very much! o:)
Last edited by Theis2 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Misunderstood bless to be a one time effect and added it, just incase it's needed
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm

((Consider it retconned))

Feeling renewed focus flow through him, Korrik targets two blows at the warrior.

(Go ahead and roll for bless and damage)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:09 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:((Move 5ft diagonally SW.))

I step past Kal to his left, and swing my quarterstaff at the lizard's scaly snoot...

Quarterstaff: 1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14

...following it up with a punch at the midsection.

Unarmed Strike: 1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13

((Ugh, feel like I could really use that bless, but I think Kal wanted to cast it on Merric and Gwen, not Korrik and Gwen. Pesky halfling naming conventions sounding alike and all!))
Bless: Staff and punch: 1D4 = [4] = 4
1D4 = [1] = 1

So quarterstaff is a 18, and punch is a 14.

Damage: staff and punch: 1D8+4 = [2]+4 = 6
1D4+4 = [2]+4 = 6
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Mehr moves north-west two spaces, then sends a jet of flames southward across the two lizards. Each of them makes a DC12 Dex save, and on success takes half damage.

I can't remember if it's one roll for AoE like this or one for each target, so just in case,
First roll: 12
Second roll: 8
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:01 am

Varsk grits his teeth from the bite, its not like it is the first time someone has chomped on his leg during a fight.

"Glad you decided to stick around and not run with your tail between your legs."

Varsk brings his maul down on the lizard's shoulder.

Attack: 20
Damage: 8

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Korrik steps forward and attacks the lizard warrior. WIth each stricke, he feels he's about to miss or have his blows deflected, but then some other force guides his limbs and the quarterstaff blow strikes true. Unfortunately it doesn't quite help him land his kick, but still - the warrior is looking pretty beaten up.

Merric moves in and finishes the job, striking the warrior with a powerful blast of eldritch energy.

To the south, Mehriv moves to the NW and demonstrates why dragonborns are the total shit. ((1 roll is fine for damage since it's just the one attack)).

DEX saves: 1D20 = [16] = 16
1D20 = [2] = 2

The first guy makes his save, but his dodging only leaves his buddy open to the full brunt of the flames. They're both looking pretty singed, but neither is bloodied yet and now they're angry.

All three archers target Kal. The first misses, the second scores a glancing strike, and the third makes a perfect shot... Kal slumps to the ground, clutching weakly at his throat as he bleeds profusely from a deep wound in his neck.
► Show Spoiler
Korrik and Merric don't feel quite so lucky any more... ((The effects of Bless have ended))

Varsk does not approve of being bitten, but he does approve of decent fighting spirit. He demonstrates his approval by smacking the lizard guy hard on the shoulder.

Kal - I'll take a death saving throw please (it's a straight d20 roll; you want a 10 or higher. A 20 would be ideal).

-----------------------------------------------

Korrik
Mehriv
Merric
Lizardfolk (NW group)
Varsk
Kal
Syli <-----
Gwen
Lizardfolk (west group)
Human woman

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm

"Ifrall cagta fugam! Die infidels!" Any with deep speech hears curses on the first part. Gwen targets a (hopefully injured) ranged user (javalin or bow) Merric hears this: <Heal him!>

Eldrich blast : 1D20+6 = [13]+6 = 19
1D10 = [7] = 7

(Now the dice decided to stop tormenting us and start actually killing us.)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm going to have you pick your target explicitly here. They're all injured, and they've all got cover (the 2 to the south are covered by Mehriv.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 pm

If any are bloddied: them. If not then the one that critted Kal.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:43 pm

((Ok, that's the guy to the left of him in the trees just so you know. No one is bloodied.))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Well, that's not good.

1D20 = [17] = 17

But at least I can be GLADOS that I'm Still Alive...

► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Syli scowls at the lizardmen, only to be distracted by the sounds of Gwen cursing in some bizarre language from the north. She glances north just in time to see Kal finish collapsing. "Dammit!" She curses, her totem putting off a couple violet sparks. Dropping another bullet, she doesn't even wait for it to seat, using her sling to snatch it out of the air and whip it ferociously at the lizardman warrior she had hit before, landing a solid hit right between its eyes. Not that she sticks around for it; she quickly darts northward, a healing chant (interspersed with druidic best left untranslated) escaping her lips as the fallen paladin is surrounded by a faint violet glow.

Sling vs. Lizardman Warrior (+5): CRITICAL HIT! 10 damage bludgeoning (7 Base + 3 Crit)
Movement: 3 spaces north
Healing Word: Kal regains 5 hp