Hunters of Letrua

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Hunters of Letrua

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Olly's eyes go wide as Julius points his magic thing at the three of them and looks set to teleport them somewhere out over the chasm. He releases his breath as the spell appears to fail.

"You know, I'm pretty sure the polite thing is to ask people if they want to be magicked into dangerous locations BEFORE you try and magic them across bottomless pits..." he grumbles.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 pm

"Odd. It's not working anyways." Julius tries to redirect the air so that it goes arpund them/the bridge. "We should stay close if we decide to cross."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 am

Olly grumbles a bit about dangerous and foolish magical things, stepping out onto the start of the bridge to test its strength. The wooden slats which the rope attaches to feel solid and stable under his feet, and the ropes seem to be thick and strong, the bridge showing no signs of wear or age, despite its constant rough treatment. This close to the edge, where the bridge is stabilised by the rock, there is little movement from the wind's buffeting (That's buff-et, not buff-ay), but toward the middle he would guess that the bridge is swinging out until the planks stand at almost a forty-five degree angle, and are constantly moving in the wind.

Julius sets to work on making their passage easier. His first, fleeting, idea is to stop the wind as Korga suggested, but he quickly adjusts the plan. Instead of stopping the wind, he attempts to redirect it, or 'break' it so it splits around the bridge. It's difficult to do, and he can feel that he is actively fighting against something to impose his will on the environment, but with a great effort he mostly manages it, splitting the wind around the bridge to lessen the effect, so that it moves barely a quarter of the earlier distance. It's a strain on his body to maintain the effect, though, and whatever he's contesting with isn't getting any weaker, whereas he has already been weakened from the fight outside the cave followed by examining the crystal and the changes to Olly's fingers and arm, to the point that he can tell channeling this much energy will cause his body to start rejecting the flow of magic soon.
► Show Spoiler
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:07 am

"If we are crossing it, we should do it soon. I cannot keep this up for very long."

(Figured it would be easier than calming it down.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 am

(Pff, okay, that's actually perfectly reasonable, but a very bland explanation. :P )
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:21 am

Olly nods.
"I don't think we should all go. Korga, the bridge seems strong enough to support me - it should be fine for you, and if you fall, I'm heavy enough to catch your weight. Julius, I'm not sure I can support you both. You should stay here too I think. What do you say Korga?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 am

"I have to go to keep the winds calmed down around us. I do not like it either Olly, and unless you'll waot for me to rest we moght not able to get that.."

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Loki nods, and goes to quickly inspect both the sleeping quarters as well as the restrooms before the tavern opens. He wants to know the general layout and make sure there's nothing fishy going on in either of them, nor any dangerous items or such hidden in some place he can spot in what little time he has available.

When he comes back he asks Mac: "Do you prefer to take first or second break?"
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Korga sighs, not really believing that she's actually considering this... "Yes, you'd be able to support my weight better than the other way around... but if Julius can't hold the wind, we may get stuck on opposite sides."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 pm

"Then I'll pull you both back. I think I can cross in this wind though... And I can always toe myself off to the bridge for extra safety."

He moves back and unties the rope from whatever Korga had tied it to hands her the end.

"I got to play with the magic crystal in the last room. Seems only fair that you get to see whatever's in the middle of this pit first! Julian, loop yourself onto this second rope. Hopefully you won't both fall at the same time..."

(How long are our ropes?)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:58 pm

(Olly has two 10m lengths of rope, which I think were tied together for a 20m length at some point.)
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Julius frowns and puts on the second loop. "So this is how we are deciding to die then? And I was hoping it was under better circumstances. Also my name is Julius."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm

((haha! Oops, my bad!))

"Hey, it was your idea to teleport over there. And I know your name is Julius. That's what I said!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm

"Teleporting is better than going over the death bridge of our demise. But alas it won't work. I would rather turning around and head back the other way and check that before crossing into our end."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm

"Well, you cast the spell now didn't you? Better make the most of it!"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 am

Olly, Korga, Julius
Olly unties himself and hands the ends of the ropes to Korga and Julius. Both question the sensibility of the plan while tying themselves off. (You've got two people tied to ropes half the length of the bridge. Is that the plan you had in mind, or did we miss something?)

Loki
Loki decides to quickly inspect the sleeping quarters, which turn out to just be space for employees to spread bedrolls behind the bar, and the restrooms, which are just a few simple cubicles, kept clean. The tables are all wiped down with damn cloths, the floor swept and coated with a small amount of sawdust to absorb any spilled drinks. As far as he can tell, the only potentially dangerous items would be the glass mugs and bottles behind the bar.
Moving to stand with Mac at the door, he notices a small gathering of four people waiting outside for the bar to open. "I'll take second break. We'll be wrapping up around the time of my final break, but since this was my living before the Arena I can handle one less break." The doors open, and the group comes into the pub, stopping by the bar to buy a round of drinks before moving to a table off in one corner. People slowly trickle in and out, still fairly early for anyone to be drinking too much, and everything is calm for the first four hours. As the night settles in, people start drinking more and getting louder, loading more work on the waiters and waitresses, filling the room with a burble of conversation and activity. A few people get a little rowdy, but Loki and Mac manage to keep them from getting aggressive.
An hour later, as Loki's break is coming to an end, there's a clatter of wood as a person pushes their chair back, coming to their feet with a torrent of slurred abuse. The offender, a slightly rotund man showing the first signs of balding, jabs a finger at Mac, who keeps his face blank. Loki manages to catch the end of one drunken tirade, "- whether a runt like yooou cares if I get a bit friendleh with tha gurls! 's what they're 'ere for, isnit?!"
Mac weathers the abuse with a straight face, speaking levelly, "They're here to serve drinks and clean. That's it. Please keep your hands to yourself, sir."
"And what- What you gon' do, kid? 've seen you 'fore yaknow! Yer from that fancy arena place. Got yer ass 'anded to ya by pathetic beasties that girlie squashed! Weaker than a gurl! 'm not hurting nobuddy, an' y' can't do nuthin' if you don't like me bein' friendly! Bring yer girlie friend ta protect ya nex time!"
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:14 am

((no I'm not sure... The 10 m ropes are problematic. We either need to send one person at a time (which could work fine, since Korga's athletic enough to probably make it over in the wind), or we need to tie those two together. The problem there I think is that we can get them both over, but not back (and once they're over, olly is stuck on the side with no rope at all. Throwing ropes around probably won't work in the wind, so we have an issue... Can we tie the ropes to the bridge somehow and have like a sliding harness? It would put us at the mercy of the bridge but would use way less rope...))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:12 am

(The bridge is a fairly standard rope bridge. Two posts secured to the ground on each side of the space, with two ropes connecting along the bottom to support wooden planks that form the actual bridge, and two ropes up higher to act as hand rails, with more ropes spaced along the length connecting the upper ropes to the lower for stabilisation. You could definitely use a sliding harness, though since there's nothing convenient like carabiners you'd have to tie a new knot after each stabilising rope and untie the last one.)
My game:

My characters:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:13 am

Loki does his best to walk up behind the potential rowdie without them noticing, and with his most lewd, most deep yet somehow feminine tone of voice he says to them, weighing his hand heavily onto that man's shoulder. "He DID."
He waits until the man turns his head/gaze/attention, then theatrically throws his dread locks in the back of his neck, and winks at him provocatively. "And let me tell you ONE thing. If you don't stop being... friendly to the waitresses, who are trying to do their job, busting their butts for people who are unlikely to even show their appreciation with an appropriate tip, more often then not, then -I- am going to start getting FRIENDLY," his other hand has moved suggestively to that man's crotch, letting him feel his grip, but not actually squeezing or harming him in any way YET, "... with YOU and see how you like it."

He pauses a little for effect and also to let the words sink in with the guy, then asks pleasantly, but with a slight edge in his voice: "Do we have an understanding?"

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 am

((hmmm... What do you guys think? Will tying ourselves to each other be enough (1 rope), and then use the other as a moving anchor?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 am

((Is it wide enough for us to pass one another? We could tie off the lead end, then positions 2 and 3 move past, to where 3 is now in the lead and ties off. 1 unties and moves forward?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:22 pm

thinkslogically wrote:((hmmm... What do you guys think? Will tying ourselves to each other be enough (1 rope), and then use the other as a moving anchor?))
I don't know, but whatever we do we should stick together.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:47 pm

((that works, and sounds quickest. I'm good with that plan))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:19 pm

((Sure, let's go for it. Rope is never not tied down on one end or the other.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Olly, Korga, Julius
After a brief discussion, the three tie themselves together in a line and start out onto the bridge. It's a bit slow, but they're still making progress. Korga only has a little trouble keeping her balance while the bridge swings back and forth, and Olly manages to keep his balance by holding to the rails. Julius is not so capable, unfortunately. Tied into the middle of the rope and partly supported by the others, it's all he can do to cling to one of the rails desperately, thankful for the weakened wind, though he's not sure whether the queasiness he's feeling is from being shaken back and forth over a lethal fall or the first signs of overexerting his enchantments. He only gets worse the longer they take, and by the time the group reaches the other end of the bridge his legs are shaking badly while he fights the urge to throw up. Thankfully, as each person steps onto the stone pillar the wind attacking them dies off. While Julius drops to his knees, Korga and Olly assess their surroundings. The space around them is relatively small, only five metres in diameter. A flagpole is planted on one side, the flag hanging limp from it. In the centre of the space is a waist-high stand of stone, topped with a carving of a hand, the index finger bearing a silvery accessory which is best described as the finger of a glove, segmented at the knuckles, coming to a dull point at the tip.

Loki
The man turns around to glare at Loki when he speaks up, "An' what're you, some kinda f-" the man cuts his words short when Loki moves his hand, the remaining words just turning into a squeak. "Understood sir. I won't bother anybuddy no more." Ducking his head, the man scurries for the door, stumbling slightly as he does.
Mac sighs softly, "I never feel like that kind of person is worth getting angry over, but they're always an annoyance. If I get forceful with them it turns into a fight, if I don't they just get abusive and smug. I'm not exactly the most intimidating person, even after joining the Arena. Maybe especially so. Glad to see you handled it better than Alice, though."
My game:

My characters: