October 23, 2017 - Honey Badger Don't Care

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

October 23, 2017 - Honey Badger Don't Care

Post by WearsHats » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm not sure how Bowst's trick actually works, but that's impressive.

And, hey, celestial badgers are tougher than they look.

But what happens now...?

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/nungnungnung
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Editar
Remains Silent

Re: October 23, 2017 - Honey Badger Don't Care

Post by Editar » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Go, Badger, go! I like the call-back to "suck Badger," in the last comic. However, I will chuckle if it saves the day, but be mad if Bowst dies.

Never Finishes Anyth
Mutters to Themself

Post by Never Finishes Anyth » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Comic book fight action sound effects c. 1967...

BIFF!
SOCK POW
CRASH!
BLAM!
RAT TAT TAT TAT TAT

Comic book fight action sound effects c. 2017...

FWOOM
GRWAAAR!
PLORP!
RAA?
NUNG NUNG NUNG NUNG NUNG NUNG

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm

The return of the Badger - good for digging through mould monsters ...

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: 23 October 2017 - Honey Badger Don't Care

Post by Krulle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:48 am

When will "It" sneeze, thus making the badger fly far away?

Will the Bowstring break now?

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/nungnungnung wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Edit:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Guh. Bowst's I.M.E colour is wrong, for the 2nd time in a row. I'll change it in the near future. :/
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Re: 23 October 2017 - Honey Badger Don't Care

Post by Hjerne » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 am

Krulle wrote:When will "It" sneeze, thus making the badger fly far away?

Will the Bowstring break now?

http://goblinscomic.com/comic/nungnungnung wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Edit:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Guh. Bowst's I.M.E colour is wrong, for the 2nd time in a row. I'll change it in the near future. :/

There isn't a chance this is it for Bowst. When has Thunt ever foreshadowed something less than a year in the future?

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:07 am

I don't see this being the end for Bowst. So far the only thing he's added to the plot are some exposition and the cursed sword Klik. Idle could have done that. And so far nothing about his possible impending death indicates that something about this green beastie is so important that someone has to die to get past it.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:24 am

Yeah Badger! Haha... so awesome.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 am

I don't expect Bowst to die here. I do think the prophecy will come to pass in the near future. I don't think it will kill him. It just says "Bowstrings break; they are unreliable." Which could easily mean that he panics and runs away at a crucial moment.

But you know what would really suck right now? If Bowst says the wrong word, tripping his curse, forcing him to let go of the sword to punch himself.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Piximae
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Piximae » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:32 am

I'm honestly wondering if Bowst will betray Idle and Forgath in the future, given the prophecy.

Anyways, I kind of confused. Is Bowst hanging in the hole in the ground that the Green blob just made? Maybe it's just me but I'm confused what I'm looking at.

Also, I'm new to the forums but not to Goblins. Been following it for years.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 am

Welcome, Piximae!

From what I gathered, Bowst got pulled into the hole of the blob, was was able to push his sword into the wall (like a nail). Now he's hanging from his sword.

Ever tried to push a nail into a wall with your bare hands?
If it goes in easily, it will also pull out easily.

Not realistic, but makes a nice dramaturgic scene.

Teiresias
Remains Silent

Post by Teiresias » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am

I don't think it is that unrealistic, it's all about the angle of the force. Bowst's weight is pulling perpendicular to the angle of insertion, giving him a decent hold. If the monster pulled him directly away from the wall, yeah the sword would slide right out.

The real question is, is that pit a direct route to hell, or did the blob make the pit? If they can kick the monster into hell, it might be good enough for them to get away from it.

BookWyrm17
Mutters to Themself

Post by BookWyrm17 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 am

Besides, I don't think it went in easily either. Less of a 'push' and more of a 'desperate attack the wall as I'm falling' sort of deal. He could have even used the force of the monster pulling him down to add a bit more strength to the blow, realistically.
The point is to have fun.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 pm

It's an overhead push straight back, as the blade didn't enter the wall at an angle. That's an incredibly awkward angle, especially considering the length of a longsword compared to the distance to the wall. Bowst shouldn't even be able to apply enough force to push the sword as far into the wall as he did.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:57 pm

I think I must have missed something. What prophecy is there related to Bowst? Or are you guys talking about Forgath's prophecy?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 am

Something Fumbles said in his prophecy overload. "Bowstrings break. They are unreliable."

► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Oh, thanks.

It would make more sense to me for him to be saying "Bowst's rings break", if Fumbles is takling about Bowst. Of course, we have no idea if he has any rings, but if anything, that just makes it make more sense, since Thunt would want to hide it for the big reveal.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TS19
Remains Silent

Post by TS19 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:57 am

Am I the only one who remembers the whole plot with the evil Klik that emerged from Dies Horribly?

I think we may be about to witness Dies Horribly emerging from the evil Klik. I don't remember exactly where that plot left off, but I'm pretty sure the green thing in this comic is that specific evil Klik, and it's what Forgath et al are hunting right now. The badger might have done a ton of damage if the evil Klik's weakness is celestial energy, which might make sense considering what little we know about its weakness (when it was still Dies Horribly's arm, it threw away a mystical key of some kind made of glowing light).

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:14 am

There was a lot of discussion about Junior (the Klik) in the threads on the earlier panels. One person claimed Thunt has said it isn't Junior, and the consensus is that it doesn't look enough like Junior in any case.

Dies Horribly was not near Junior when last seen. He was last seen hovering over Drowbabe/I forget...Yvette? Odette?

I personally hoped it was Junior and that Drowbabe would pop out of him, but it appears not to be.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 am

TS19 wrote: I think we may be about to witness Dies Horribly emerging from the evil Klik. I don't remember exactly where that plot left off, but I'm pretty sure the green thing in this comic is that specific evil Klik, and it's what Forgath et al are hunting right now.
That's correct, but Dies chopped that arm off and replaced it with one from the Orb of Bloodlight, while Junior fell down the cliff Dies was on and landed on the Three Idiots.
It's an overhead push straight back, as the blade didn't enter the wall at an angle. That's an incredibly awkward angle, especially considering the length of a longsword compared to the distance to the wall. Bowst shouldn't even be able to apply enough force to push the sword as far into the wall as he did.
Same. I think Bowst's sword should have been stuck between two rocks or a tree root at an angle.

Matney X
Whispers Softly

Post by Matney X » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 am

Glemp wrote:
Same. I think Bowst's sword should have been stuck between two rocks or a tree root at an angle.
IIRC, we know nothing about his sword (hell, we've only seen the tip of it two or three times, and only ever in wide shots), and Thunt really does like oddly-specific magic items. It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume his sword has some sort of enchantment that makes it especially effective at stabbing rock.

But I agree about the angle, and all that. This page has some really tough-to-follow action.

Also, if you zoom in, that's clearly the badger chewing free.

Murley
Remains Silent

Post by Murley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:29 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:There was a lot of discussion about Junior (the Klik) in the threads on the earlier panels. One person claimed Thunt has said it isn't Junior, and the consensus is that it doesn't look enough like Junior in any case.

Dies Horribly was not near Junior when last seen. He was last seen hovering over Drowbabe/I forget...Yvette? Odette?

I personally hoped it was Junior and that Drowbabe would pop out of him, but it appears not to be.
This is what I initially though might happen, regarding Junior. I guess not.
Last edited by Murley on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 am

Necromancing this thread, because of this tweet:
@[color=Red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Just for fun, here's a look at a rough version of a page, compared to a finished version. Sometimes I make tiny dialogue changes or I alter visual details, slightly.
► Show Spoiler
I found the rough sketch interesting, hence my desire to share here.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 am