Hunters of Letrua OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Hunters of Letrua OOC

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:59 pm

We did have some limits, but I'd actually forgotten them... It seems like we only just left the hunter's camp.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 pm

It was a sliding pay scale proportional to how far we map.
Dlover wrote:Finch looks over the list before responding. "You will be paid based upon the maps you provide. A greater area will warrant a greater reward. One day's travel beyond what is currently mapped will net you ten silver marks, another day beyond that will add an extra fifteen, and a third day will be worth thirty on top of that. Beyond that we would have to determine your pay based upon the results. Now, this list certainly helps with preparations, though I'll need each of you to let me know what weapons you would prefer to use, and some of these things, though... There is nothing we can do to repel beasts, for one thing, and surely ponchos, soap, and candles are not entirely necessary for your ventures. I cannot even think of any need at all for a hammer and nails. And four weeks rations... Well, that would be more than enough to travel as far as we have mapped and back twice over. Surely such excess is not necessary."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:04 am

Ah, good. For a while I thought I'd done something horrendous and condemned you to exploring everything if you wanted your pay. >.>

Well, the cave the madman's mentioned is a day beyond the ruins, and that distance would be suitable for the minimum range. Then an arc around to the east would probably take a day from the cave, and the trip back a third day. So if you go for the base request it'll be three days.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:34 am

Dlover wrote:
Not surprising, seeing just how much of a head start Julius has compared to any other PC...
Yeah, the magic and a powerful Talent are Julius' starting characteristics, so it would've been sort of... Lackluster for it not to include a notable headstart on the matter, since other characters have special characteristics which will remain unique to them.
Just to be clear. I don't object to Julius' head start in magic. It would be silly not to assume that the one person who got it from the beginning of the game and has been using it non-stop over the last nearly 50 pages of game would gain a head start.
I just wanted to say that if I was in their position, I would most likely, too, vote for the option with the higher end numbers required for reaching top level.
And I'm not objecting to that, either. It's the logical thing to do. ;)

Anyway, I looked up prime numbers and wiki said that 2 was one of them. So I'm kind of confused, why 2 isn't used in any of your prime number based systems. Perhaps you explained it, I might have overread that. Or maybe wiki isn't 100% correct, don't believe everything you read on the Internet, right?
Just curious about it, really.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:44 am

Dunno, ask... Spider? Did anybody else put ideas in there? All I know for sure is that I wasn't smart enough to come up with any of those. I can wager a guess at why, though; Other skills all start at 3, so it seems right for Enchantment to do so as well. The wiki was right, though, 2 is a prime number. It's actually the only even prime number, because every other even number is divisible by it... It's also the first prime number. Ignore what people say, 1 isn't a prime number. The definition of a prime number explicitly states it has to be greater than 1. So, 2 is a prime number, and a rather special one for some people, but it's being skipped for nice aesthetics in this case. :P

Also, the forum's telling me there's an unread post in Hunters after I've just updated. Apparently I'm a damn time magician. Or something.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:34 am

I lopped of the low of the prime progression. Primes satisfied Dlover's desire that the ones chosen not be entirely arbitrary, but setting the starting levels below the levels of other skills made no sense. Doing magic shouldn't be easier than the other things we can gain levels in.

I think it might have even made more sense to raise the y-intercept higher before issuing the prime progression. Or have some initial threshold that had to be passed first in order to be able to begin progressing in magic... Not looking to take things away from Loki, but an afternoon reading a book seems like a pretty easy replacement for innate attunement to magics.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:08 am

Loki gained 0 SP for Enchantment through the reading. He got 2SP from the skip/training day, which consumed all 4 of his actions for that day, and 1SP from a session of drinking demon blood, then spent the first half of the next in recovery, which he spent reading and gaining like... 1 or 2 SP in miscellaneous skills. It essentially took a day and a half worth of SP gaining rather than the half a day for most skills. Maybe it is still a bit easy, but it's three times the time needed to start most skills. :shrug:
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:40 am

Ah, I misunderstood. I've not been following the other player's story threads very well.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:49 am

Yeah, I guessed maybe you'd missed that. To be honest, most people don't keep up with activity their characters aren't involved in. Too much reading.
My game:

My characters:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:53 am

Sorry I've been quiet in here, I haven't had much time to read other than dropping in and making a player update when I can. On holiday now :P

Although after reading about prime numbers and fibonacci sequences I have no real insight or opinion as to how you should do leveling. Whatever the majority are happy with and what works for you is fine by me :)
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:10 am

Yeah, no problem. I understand the quietness.
My game:

My characters:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:41 pm

So I was talking to Burns, and I've realised how important it is that I show a map. There was one in the first post while I was recruiting, but that's undergone a couple of changes, and wasn't too informative anyway, so... Here we go. I've tried to mark everything clearly, and the more coppery area is unmapped space. Also, the mapmaker I used didn't have good options for walls, so those two towers just south of the mountains represent the Wall.
► Show Spoiler
So, there's one key thing Burns, and possibly others, misunderstood. Letrua is a nation, not a city. A small nation, but one regardless. And the Arena isn't the capital, either. The capital's a bit more secluded, primarily for administratorial people, some skilled scholars. I've never brought up the capital before because... Well, it's seemed like there was no need? Bringing it up when it's not important to anything would have been a bit forced.
My game:

My characters:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:26 am

Neat. Thank you very much.
The dark grey is some body of water I assume? To the south an ocean, perhaps?
And does the Capital city have a name?
Or the mountains?
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:49 am

Yeah, the darker colour is water. The guess at the ocean's accurate, and it's known as such, though characters in the world haven't gone particularly far out. Some people fish in the shallows, but deeper water's considered highly dangerous.

As for names... Not really. >.> I'm useless at naming things, so I tend to avoid it. I've just been thinking of the city as 'the capital,' and I guess that could suffice for a small nation, but I have considered calling the mountains the Barrier Mountains, being that they form a natural barrier from the wilderness beyond, apart from the one pass through, where the Wall is.

Oh, and there's one other thing that I forgot to note; The darker line that runs from the northern lake to the capital is actually a road, though it looks like a river. It should be broken at the Wall, of course, but it was only a roughly made map when I was coming up with the concept. Arena City should be closer to the Wall, too, being only half a day's walk, but the scaling was difficult to get.

So yeah, any other questions I'll answer as well as I can.
My game:

My characters:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:46 am

So, everyone should have had Easter by now, yeah? I'm considering an Easter event, but I can only think of one kind of lackluster seasonal event, so... Either choose one of the five combat skills (Strength, toughness, dexterity, agility, combat), and get 3SP for it, or if you want to get an egg and hatch a pet you can do that, but reasonably speaking it would take a few weeks before the hatched pet matures (Beasts mature quickly, and stay at a mature age indefinitely), and we're only at day... Five? So it would take a long while. So, your choice I suppose. Immediate payoff of a little SP, or eventual payoff of a random pet.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:36 am

Pet! I choose pet!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 am

You sure? We've covered less than a week in almost a year and a half, and maturing would take at least two weeks. Things would probably speed up some when there's less activity in each day, with more traveling or training, but it'd still take a while.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:53 am

All I heard is that a pet would be awesome. :p I may also try to use magic now and again to speed things up. And unhatched I can still play with/ take careof / train it right? You didnt say how long it sill take to hatch so I assume soon after getting it. So even if it takes a while to mature pet is best choice. :p

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:23 am

Yeah, the hatching wouldn't take long (And wouldn't be a thing at all if you find a mammalian type), it's the actual raising that takes time. Don't get it eaten, 'kay?
My game:

My characters:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:28 am

I think I'll take the pet, too. :kseliss:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 am

What sort of pet would we be looking at? Is it a mostly cosmetic pet, or will they have game/combat capabilities? I don't want to chomp Squirrel's flavor too much. If I took the SP, does that get me into enchanting?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:58 am

I think dlover purposly left out enchanting because he wants it to be harder to get into, like he did for xmas

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 am

Doh... didn't read the combat skills part. :tfacepalm:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:11 pm

If you take a pet it will eventually become combat-ready, but that won't steal much of Risu's thunder. One beast is hardly comparable to what she can work up to.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:46 pm

I will take 3 sp in toughness please :)