The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14649
Location: Florida

The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 pm

The Wandering Archipelago

The day dawns clear and hot, and the passengers aboard the Skylark are awake early in anticipation of catching their first glimpse of civilisation in almost two weeks. The passage from Norbrook has been slow going, with this year's Calm season apparently not doing much to ease the strong, unpredictable tides that circle the archipelago. Progress along the hot, humid coast has been tedious.

Still, it is not long before Hightown's lighthouse finally appears through a gap in the trees, quickly followed by the great golden dome of the Temple to Pelor rising above the tops of the trees, and the red-tiled roofs of the larger homes until the ship finally passes between the "Three Sisters" watchtowers that mark the entrance to the harbour, the city and the river beyond.

"ROPES ON!", bellows the captain, and the crew scramble into action, scattering idle passengers out of their way as they expertly throw ropes to and from the dockside as they drag the ship to a final halt. A cheer goes up from everyone on board as the gangway is finally lowered onto the long wooden docks that stretch out into the estuary.

"Passengers off! Sailors, get the holds emptied! We sail in two days at dawn! "

You grab your possessions and are bundled off the ship in a crowd of bodies; most of whom are at least trying to go in the same direction as each other and find yourselves standing, at long last, in the middle of a bustling crowd of dockhands, merchants, customs officials and tourists in Hightown's south docks. Several other vessels sit at rest in the wide harbour, and most seem to be similarly busy. The crowd of passengers seem to mostly be wandering eastwards towards the main part of town and the temple. Across the river mouth to the north, larger houses stand on the hill overlooking the river, but you don't have much time to contemplate your new surroundings before you are barged out of the way by a young man running with an empty cart.

"Oi! Move it! Some of us got jobs to do!"

----------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15489
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:52 pm

"Rude..." "Okay I am going to find things we need to set up. Meet you at the docks in an hour? Unless you want to come with?"She gives them puppy dog eyes before she leaves and takes a look around to gather herself to the new and old surroundisn of the town.

She looks for various stalls holding items of interest (bells [le cow], whistles, scale {merchants}, mirror, case [scroll], chest, sealing wax

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14649
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 pm

(you're currently at the docks by the way)

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15489
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:52 pm

(I know that's why I am looking in town and have the docks as a place to meet up)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15073

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:53 pm

As the ship disgorges its passengers, I leap and scramble my way to the docks, vaulting to the top of some crates and out of the way of the big folk.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14649
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Korrik darts and weaves between the carts and ankles of the big folk before finding a stable-looking crate to spring lithely onto. A small child sees his acrobatics and cheers for him before being dragged away into the crowds by her guardian.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15073

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:48 pm

I grin and tug the edge of my hood in his direction, trying to keep an eye on my folk.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11738
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:12 pm

"Okay I am going to find things we need to set up. Meet you at the docks in an hour? Unless you want to come with?"
"Find the storefront if you need to meet with me. It will take time to inspect it and ensure it was worth the money I paid."

Mehriv sets out to find the store he has invested in; Good money went into that, and he wasn't able to inspect it until arriving in this city. He's confident that the dealer was honest, but it's still best to ensure the store isn't in disrepair.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15073

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Glancing back to see if Darruk is following, I pace Mehriv across the top of crates, when the crush of people loosens, hopping down to walk beside him.

"It better be, or he'll be answering to me. I'd not consider the favor paid if he shorts us on it."
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7018
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:29 pm

"I'd like to see the storefront and get oriented. Do you want help looking the place over? "

Assuming Mehriv agrees, Kal will follow his noble patron. As they walk, he'll gawk (somewhat subtly) at everything, drinking in the sights and sounds. At the same time, he'll try to build up a mental map of the town.
► Show Spoiler
The new environment proves to be too much for Kal. So much to see! So many people! He's never seen so many people in his life! What's that one doing? No, wait, who's that? No, hold on, what is that over there? Never seen anything like it. Is that really a...? I thought they were supposed to be bigger...

Overwhelmed, he barely manages to follow Mehriv let alone learn anything of real depth.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11738
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 pm

"It better be, or he'll be answering to me. I'd not consider the favor paid if he shorts us on it."
"Violence will not resolve the problem if the store is subpar, but I shall ensure he sees the error of his way."
"I'd like to see the storefront and get oriented. Do you want help looking the place over? "
"Certainly, extra eyes shall hasten the task of examination."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15073

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Adopting the most innocent of faces, I look up at Mehriv. "Oh, I'd not go so far as to get violent, just give him a stern talking to and ensure that we're not folks to be dicked around."
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11738
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:48 pm

"Excellent. We can't come to be known as thugs, lest our reputation hinder business."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15073

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:58 pm

"Of course not! Without a reputation, what would we be?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Nioca
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2010

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Nioca » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:04 pm

So far, the newcomer to the group had been quiet, content to merely follow wordlessly after their dragonborn patron. She does, however, glance over at her half-elf traveling companion and his wide-eyed interest in the sights around him, and chuckles. "You didn't strike me as the kind to have been raised within walls. Never been to a settlement before?"

User avatar
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7018
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:51 pm

"No, I've spent my whole life in the wilds. You could fit my whole village in that marketplace there."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14649
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:23 am

Can I please have perception checks from everyone except wears and burns (assuming Gwen is heading off on her own).

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15073

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:30 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11738
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:42 am

8. Looks like I maaaay have used up today's luck on XCom. >.>
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Nioca
Floods your Ears
Posts: 2010

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Nioca » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:18 am

Perception Check (+5): 8

(Okay, so I think it's confirmed my dice are jinxed at this point.)

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15489
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:41 am

"Oh right...I nearly forgot about that! I guess knowing where it is and if it is in good condition miiiiiight come first than buying stuff for the shop."
Gwen tags along, mostly to check on the shop, before she shops.
Per: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21 She sees EVERYTHING

User avatar
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 7100
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!
Contact:

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by LAYF » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Darr├╝k looks to the others juat as everyone seems to dart of east and west:
"An hour you say? seems fine by me. I'll be down here at the docks, looking a bit around"
*Darr├╝k looks at the on/of loading of the ships, trying to determine what is importet/exportet in what quantities.


Thinks asked for a perception:
_: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22


Darr├╝k looks for impiort/export (Not sure if insigth or perception, but they are both +3 so:

_: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22

Uh, nice... two times 22 :P


*Sorry, not been home all day...
-Best regards LAYF

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14649
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Perception in this case, because you're looking for something. If you were asking around for information it would be diplomacy, and you'd use insight to try and get a read on the person talking to you (e.g. if they were lying, seemed afraid, super arrogant etc.)

I'm off out for a couple of hours, but I'll get you an update when I get home as long as it's not too late.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14649
Location: Florida

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:10 pm

The group set off to explore the city. Kal, Mehriv, Korrik, Gwen and Syli decide to check on their new premises, swearing to (quite politely) avenge themselves against the seller if it turns out to be a hovel. Swept up in the mass of people, you press on along the docks alongside the carts, passing warehouses and the occasional peddler selling sweet-smelling pies and other strange snacks.

Mehriv & Korrik: You remember your contact mentioning that they would make arrangements for your to collect the Deed of Sale at the Dancing Minstrel Inn, which is apparently close to Market Square... Wherever that may be.

Kal is utterly captivated by the wonders of the new city and falls further and further behind the others as he is tries in vain to keep track of all the new sights and sounds. It doesn't take long for him to lose the others completely in the crowd... Damn! Luckily he catches a glimpse of Mehriv hurrying around a corner further ahead and he hurries to catch up, turning right into a narrow, winding cobbled street lined by tall wooden buildings. A group of stray cats take time out of gorging themselves on a pile of fish heads to glare at him as he approaches, but the street otherwise seems deserted. Crap. How fast were they walking to disappear so fast?!

Gwen and Korrik glance back just in time to see Kal turn off the main walkway down a side street by himself.

Darruk heads off to explore a bit on his own, agreeing to meet the others in about an hour. He finds himself a spot out of the way of the dockmen and sailors, taking the time to watch the folk loading and unloading their wares. It seems like the ships here mainly trade in foodstuffs, but there looks to be something of everything here: there are vessels are unloading crates of dazzling metallic fish of all colours and sizes; some are unloading livestock with varying levels of chaos; others appear to be moving more luxurious goods like wines and cheeses from the Wildwood Estate in Estmark.

---------------------------------------------------
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 11738
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Mehriv waits for the crowd to die down a bit before attemtping to identify a local and ask for directions.
Peception: 6, Persuasion: 22

"Pardon me, good sir/madam, I find myself in need to locate the Dancing Minstrel Inn. It would be appreciated if you could see fit to provide directions."

Actually, maybe insight is more suitable than perception when it comes to deciding whether someone appears to be familiar with their surroundings. That would be an 8 rather than 6.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Post Reply