D&D 5e - The Wandering Archipelago

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e (1 space left) - Set-up phase

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Sure, I'd say they were after me at that point, brother having already been killed. Could still have learned about the job from dragonborn nobles, etc., but happy to serve as a link for our upstanding cleric friend.

spiderwrangler wrote:[*] What did you do before you decided to come out here?
It's been about a year and a half since Benro's death, I headed inland, and spent the better part of that year earning my keep at a small monastery outside of Wyndmere (if that works, otherwise elsewhere on Estermark). I worked mainly in the kitchens, but eventually took part in some of daily activities, and found the meditative practice of the brothers there too be soothing in my grieving and a balm to my paranoia.
[/list]
After leaving the monastery, I traveled to Norbrook, but was entirely too sloppy about who I talked to. A contact I thought I could trust alerted [former client's] agents in the town, who paid me a visit on my way back to the inn I was staying at. I had just flubbed a lift on a dwarven cleric, his coinpurse slipping from my fingers to land on the cobbled alleyway. Trying to pass it off as best I could, I picked it up and handed it to him, remarking that he needed to be careful about dropping things, when the thugs entered the alley, just as I was handing him his purse. The thugs charged, and I was knocked to the ground, but managed to scurry free while they had the dwarf pinned against the wall... my way was clear, the barrels, balcony and drainpipe gave me a clear route to the rooftops and safety...

Fighting against my sense of self preservation, I stayed, kicking a few thugs in the back of the knees and give the cleric a chance to get his weapon out. We managed to dispatch the thugs, and I fled before the authorities arrived. Later, I sought him out and introduced my self, learning that his name was Darruk. After learning about a possible job from [someone] that would get me off continent, and hopefully away from [former client] and his thugs, Darruk agreed to join the venture.

Did Darruk realize my deception about trying to steal his purse was a lie? Korrik: Cutpurse deception: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Passive insight: 13 (Fail)
Darr├╝k does not notes the sleight of hand.

*Sorry for the short reply, on phone and on my way to bed...

Darr├╝k will go with this description, and ill accept mostly any other additions (from other pc's adding to the group) as long as they fit somehow with Korrik and Darr├╝k, or of course meet them on the mission.
Feel free to re write small things nessasary for it all to fit together...
-Best regards LAYF

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Gwen always had the knack of playing parts as if it was some grand play, normally she gathers her coin by begging for it in tattered clothes. She witnessed criminals using force and skewering someone to get what they want. Gwen, not trained in fighting or magic could do nothing but watch. She curses herself for being weak and decided to find something, anything to be able to fight back with so she won't have to stay as a bystander. She eventually came across a dusty book, scribbled mostly in gibberish. She read it and figured it was her chance and cast from it, unleashing the horror within. It granted her power for a favor. She headed back to town she knew and donned a new face. But beggar money is not enough anymore and she started picking up bounties to hunt down and take back to town, but only if she thinks it's for the greater good. She found a dubious bounty for a brass dragonborn, curious she tracked it down and see his habits, wondering why one would want a brass dragonborn to be taken back to *insert dragonborn city*. She chalked it up to corrupted lords, but that may not be the case. Ever since then they traveled together.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Burns, a quick comment: Your background is "Outlander" but you seem to be describing a city-dweller / urchin background. Outlanders are folk who've lived mostly in the wilds, far from civilisations. There's no reason why you couldn't have come to a city at some point, but could you tweak your backstory to be a little less city-based? Maybe she was a guide-for hire for a local outpost somewhere? Maybe she found the book in a ruin somewhere? Why you came back to the civilised lands would presumably be a pretty big deal for Gwen, right?

Assuming you can get from outlander to bounty-hunter, a couple of other questions
What was the favour that the book wanted in return for granting her power?
Who did you work for when you were a bounty hunter? Does Gwen know if they know she abandoned her quest?
What happened between Gwen and the Brass Dragon that made her abandon the bounty?
Does Gwen know who placed the bounty or is she just guessing?
Why did she decide to make the switch from bounty-hunting to a legitimate trade business?

There's no dragonborn cities per se in this world, but depending on where dlover decides his PC hails from will do the job.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:06 pm

I think having the noble background probably puts me in the position of financing our operation, though I like the idea of my character's family having hired Korrik in the past.

Mehriv Turajin
Brass Dragonborn, Sorcerer (Wild Magic), Noble
6'5", 245lb, 20 years old. (Which isn't all that young for dragonborn, who mature at 15)
Neutral Good

Personality Traits:
My favor, once lost, is lost forever.

Ideals:
Family: Blood runs thicker than water. (Mehriv is still loyal to his clan, even after having been cast out, and he will continue to support them as long as he can.)

Bond:
I will face any challenge to win the approval of my family. (Having been cast out while his sorcery was newly manifested, Mehriv believes it's possible to prove he's useful, in hopes that the clan will one day accept his return.)

Flaws:
In fact, the world does revolve around me. (I dunno, none of the flaws seemed to particularly suit Mehriv, so I excluded the 'veiled insults' one and rolled.

Mehriv was a member of a proud clan with a great deal of influence on their surroundings, the equivalent of nobility among other races, due the the frequency of Draconic Sorcerers, placing them closer to true dragons. From a young age he aspired to be one of these sorcerers, and upon his coming of age he was granted sorcerous power to accommodate this aspiration. When it became apparent that his power did not herald his draconic ancestry, and instead bore with it a chaotic effect, he was sent from the clan in shame, yet he still works to provide what he can for his family in hopes that they will one day welcome him back.
(Simple backstory, but I think it covers the necessities for the moment.)

Scores:
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 4, 4, 4] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 5, 3, 1] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 3, 3, 2] = 8
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 1, 4, 1] = 7
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 5, 5, 4] = 14
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 6, 1, 6] = 15

So...
Strength: 7 + 2 = 9
Dexterity: 8
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 12
Charisma: 14 +1 = 15
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Dlover wrote:I think having the noble background probably puts me in the position of financing our operation, though I like the idea of my character's family having hired Korrik in the past.
Cool. If you/Turajin family actively dislike or are rivals of [former client who killed my brother], you would have been someone I felt safe in reaching out to or approaching if I happened to have seen or heard of your presence in one of the cities.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Hm... That's a good potential link. Your former clients were on bad terms with the Turajin, when they caught word of one abandoned by the clan they set out a bounty on him (Link to Burns' character), and when you heard of the bounty you recognised the dragonborn as being part of a clan you could go to.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Sounds good, dlover :) A couple more questions then!

Did anything specific happen (e.g. an accident) to force his family to send him away, or is this the equivalent of a "get your shit together and come back when you won't set the clients on fire"? Or is he just so outlandish that he's got no hope of redemption?

Burn's backstory for Gwen currently references Mehriv as having had a bounty on his head. Did you do something to earn a bounty, or could this have been an odd case of mistaken identity?

If you are the finances behind the operation, are you also the brains? Or have you found someone (in the party) worth investing in? I am going to assume that you hired LAYF + Spider for their muscle and experience.

Question for all of you: What kind of business are you intending to start?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Still need to loop in a half-elf paladin acolyte.

Ideas:
Connection to the monastery I spent time at.
Connection to Darruk's faith (not sure how likely a half-elf and a dwarf are to worship the same god, but could have recognized each other as people of faith in a rough part of the world?)
Sent on a mission of faith that happened to coincide with our venture?
-seeking an artifact rumored to be on Caero?
-finding information on ruins with ties to their faith?
-evangelizing and ran short of funds, so had to find a job?

Business venture?:
Importing and exporting (general trade of what people in the area need/sell)
Relic recovery and transport
A tavern/inn (I'm proficient in the kitchen! ;) )
Tourism
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Bounty hunter was one of the orgins from outlander.

Assuming you can get from outlander to bounty-hunter, a couple of other questions
What was the favour that the book wanted in return for granting her power? Ummm...probably items of power? Or money?
Who did you work for when you were a bounty hunter? Probably a small guild that is basically a middle man.
Does Gwen know if they know she abandoned her quest? Oh most likly since she did not see anything wrong with dlover's char, and probally would ask them to take down the bounty becuase it seemed more evil in intent
What happened between Gwen and the Brass Dragon that made her abandon the bounty? He saved her life after she nearly drowned
Does Gwen know who placed the bounty or is she just guessing? She has no idea whom placed it.
Why did she decide to make the switch from bounty-hunting to a legitimate trade business? Who said she quit bounting hunting? :p

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Hm... Well, let's start with the Flaw right away. Mehriv has a tendency to think he's more important than he is, and assumed his Wild Magic effects were caused by being too powerful for weak spells. His family, being respected sorcerers who are close to true dragons with the Draconic Origin, were ashamed of his lack of control and, moreso, his lack of a connection to the true dragons. As such, the sent him away as a sort of "If he's not nearby he won't be causing trouble."

I feel that perhaps Spider's previous clients had some sort of dealings with the Turajin clan, and when they overstepped their boundaries Mehriv insulted them rather harshly, yet another reason for his family disliking him. When said client found that the whelp who had caused them trouble had been essentially disowned they decided to get some revenge with that bounty.

Mehriv... Actually is rather good at negotiations. Proficient in Persuasion, Deception, and Insight, all of which would be useful in negotiating prices. So he can take that role, though he'll probably expect the former smuggler (spider's character) to pick out information on the best routes to take and where things should be purchased/sold.

As for the kind of business... Well, Mehriv isn't completely against smuggling, but legitimate trading is safer. I like the idea of relic recoveries, too.
He saved her life after she nearly drowned
You assume he can swim. Unless you weigh less than 10lb, Mage Hand can't save you, and Mehriv isn't particularly built for swimming, considering his Str and Dex are negative modifiers and he has the Dragonborn weight (245lb).
Actually, what's the deal with that? Dragonborn are remarkably heavy, and it's not actual bulk that does it, so they'd probably just sink if they aren't particularly good swimmers, right?

An another question: Does anyone have a suggestion for a language Mehriv should know? Common and Draconic are already there from Dragonborn, but the Noble background gives you another language of your choice, so there's an undecided one there.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Ok, bounty hunter is fine :) I was confused by your starting as a beggar, but that's fine if BHing was your main job.

If you're not quitting the bounty hunting business, does that mean you intend to set up a hunting operation as part of this new business? Or are you using it as a front? Just seems like you'd need a reason to start over in a frontier town, and this is the kind of thing thats Great for quest ideas :)

Dlover: he could just be fat and floaty :)

A half elf might be somewhat familiar with the edges of the jungle and be a useful guide if they grew up on Caero (possibly in Rhul)?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Dlover wrote:I feel that perhaps Spider's previous clients had some sort of dealings with the Turajin clan, and when they overstepped their boundaries Mehriv insulted them rather harshly, yet another reason for his family disliking him. When said client found that the whelp who had caused them trouble had been essentially disowned they decided to get some revenge with that bounty.

Mehriv... Actually is rather good at negotiations. Proficient in Persuasion, Deception, and Insight, all of which would be useful in negotiating prices. So he can take that role, though he'll probably expect the former smuggler (spider's character) to pick out information on the best routes to take and where things should be purchased/sold.

As for the kind of business... Well, Mehriv isn't completely against smuggling, but legitimate trading is safer. I like the idea of relic recoveries, too.
He saved her life after she nearly drowned
You assume he can swim. Unless you weigh less than 10lb, Mage Hand can't save you, and Mehriv isn't particularly built for swimming, considering his Str and Dex are negative modifiers and he has the Dragonborn weight (245lb).
Actually, what's the deal with that? Dragonborn are remarkably heavy, and it's not actual bulk that does it, so they'd probably just sink if they aren't particularly good swimmers, right?

An another question: Does anyone have a suggestion for a language Mehriv should know? Common and Draconic are already there from Dragonborn, but the Noble background gives you another language of your choice, so there's an undecided one there.
Sure, sounds good. I'm not too great at Persuasion, but good at Deception and Insight, my brother was probably the one who did most of the actual negotiating, while I watched the clients for tells and the like.

Dragonborn are heavy, but propotional to a greater starting height (of course, I'm at the upper limit of human random height and in excess of random weight based on D&D random height/weight). You could have just mage handed her a rope, held the other end and sat down, letting her pull herself to shore.

As for language, if the clan had business dealings with elves or dwarves, that would make for a logical choice? Everything else from there gets a bit more specialized.

thinkslogically wrote:A half elf might be somewhat familiar with the edges of the jungle and be a useful guide if they grew up on Caero (possibly in Rhul)?
Yeah, that could work too, we'll have to see what Wears has in mind for his character.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Dragonborn are heavy, but propotional to a greater starting height (of course, I'm at the upper limit of human random height and in excess of random weight based on D&D random height/weight). You could have just mage handed her a rope, held the other end and sat down, letting her pull herself to shore.

As for language, if the clan had business dealings with elves or dwarves, that would make for a logical choice? Everything else from there gets a bit more specialized.
Huh, that's a good point. They seemed pretty heavy, but it really is just due to the height, huh. And you're right about the language, too. I'll take Dwarvish, then.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:51 pm

I have two languages and a skill to pick which i am thinking picking up preform mimicry or ventriliqusm.

The business is a weath granting front. :p

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 pm

OK cool. PM me if you have more of an idea now of what you're after :) otherwise, we'll get there in-game.

Can you explain how you'd have the performance skills? It's fine for you to have them, it's just its also cool to know why :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:31 pm

From var human :p

I picked up the actor feat, as it makes sense to try to pretend to be someone else wiether it be someone that the bounty cared about or attracted to to get them back to reward location willingly. Or ventriliqusm to mess with people even more

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 pm

All right, actor makes sense if you're going for a trickster-type approach :) Ventriloquism isn't a real thing though, so it's a no go anyway.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:32 pm

dlover - are you happy with your stats? You can trade for point buy which will swap your 7 for a 10 and a 14 for a 13 if you'd prefer? It's pretty close either way, but up to you if you'd prefer not to be stuck with the 7.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Hm... You know what, yeah. The 13 can go on Charisma, so the racial +1 still gets it to 14, the new 10 can go on dexterity, and the 8 which was on dexterity can go to Strength so the racial +2 boosts it to 10. So the new stats will be...

Strength: 8 + 2 = 10
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 14
Charisma: 13 +1 = 14

Burns gave me a brief lecture. New stats.
Strength: 8 + 2 = 10
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 10
Charisma: 15 +1 = 16
Last edited by Dlover on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Any chance there's still one slot open? I'd have to look over everything first, but I've heard good things about 5E, and what I've seen on the SRD has me interested.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:19 am

Name: Kal Galad
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 6, 3, 4] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 4, 1, 6] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 5, 1, 1] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 2, 5, 5] = 16
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 3, 6, 3] = 12
4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 2, 1, 4] = 12

I get +2 CHA and +1 to 2 additional stats, so:

STR: 17 (16+1)
Dex: 13
Con: 14 (13+1)
Int: 12
Wis: 12
Cha: 15 (13+2)

Not bad.

For being a Half-Wood Elf, I'll take the extra +5 speed.

Two skill proficiencies. Nature and survival. That'll go well with his upbringing and the possibility of joining the party as the local guide.

Really woozy today. What else do I need to do?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:22 am

Note to those who don't notice, there's now an OOC thread for this.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:23 am

Yeah. Just posted there, but thought rolls belonged here. Thanks, though. :)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:06 am

All we need from you is a link to someone else in the party wears and we're good to go.

Nioca, there's still a space if you'd like it :) there's a set of links to the free and legal rulebooks a couple of pages back as well as a list of PCs to choose from (as far as race, class and background combinations go anyway). Once you've chosen someone, I need your player background including a personal link to at least one other player in the group, then you can roll for stats. The idea is to create a fun character to play, not become a super optimised munchkin, hence why im not allowing completely free choice on the PCs :)