28-03-2016: MM lives in the moment.

Discuss the comic here!
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

28-03-2016: MM lives in the moment.

Post by Glemp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:06 am

http://www.goblinscomic.org/03282016

Every time I confuse MM maturing for him getting smarter, something like this comes along. ;)

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Re: 28-03-2016: MM lives in the moment.

Post by sunphoenix » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:20 am

ROLL for initiative Bitches! :)

It'll be great to see some fightin' action again.. cause I think the Goblins and MM are gonna kick some serious ass!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:43 am

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Crap. It's also missing some glow effects (Big Ears' armour). And some colour corrections. And... I'm going to bed. >.>
Now is the time to live!

Lesson to be learnt?
After a fight, search for a quiet spot, draw your sword, and let it go again.

BTW, did drawing the sword not mean that he won initiative already?
► Show Spoiler
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:37 am

Krulle wrote: BTW, did drawing the sword not mean that he won initiative already?
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:51 am

Doesn't start initiative. You can draw your sword before an encounter starts. Otherwise surprise rounds would suck big time.
As a DM it would probably go something like: "your past self yells through the oblivion hole and alerts the monsters. Roll initiative".

I honestly don't like it. It reminds me of a D&D session where I was perfectly capable of getting away and helping out from a distance, but my DM decided that was no fun because (as a thief character) I might slip away and leave the rest to die. So suddenly the enemy had threatening reach, punching me underwater. Everyone else could jump and run around, but as soon as my character tried something: "threatening reach!". Same seems to happen to Minmax in this case: he gets punished not for something stupid he (or the player) did in the past, but because he probably annoyed the DM at some point (for making a stupid joke perhaps?). Or the DM was looking for an excuse to force the encounter. Or both. In my experience this kind of stuff is kind of like the "remember the joke/off remark you made 3 sessions ago? I am going to use it against you" DM-ing style that would put me off for the rest of the session. Seeing as sessions last around 4 hours, that kind of sucks.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:09 am

A counter-charge against those creatures is a real tactical blunder; the GAP and Minmax had a defensible position thanks to the half-wall and pillars that kept the enemy from charging them, and the wet steps will be slippery footing which would have helped them if they had stayed on the dry side. Also, why is Complains suddenly wielding his sword in his right hand? He's left-handed...

Medallion
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Medallion

Post by Medallion » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:12 am

Hopefully we will get to see some interesting effects from Fumbles and Complain's new found weapons!

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 am

Morgaln wrote:A counter-charge against those creatures is a real tactical blunder; the GAP and Minmax had a defensible position thanks to the half-wall and pillars that kept the enemy from charging them, and the wet steps will be slippery footing which would have helped them if they had stayed on the dry side. Also, why is Complains suddenly wielding his sword in his right hand? He's left-handed...
If they are a mirror party, then their strategy is terrible...mirror parties usually have to be defeated by realizing you're dealing with a mirror party while the mirror party tries the obvious attacks.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:13 am

I see people thought of "mirror party", but what if it was taken a step further (i.e. from the point of view of the demons, THEY'RE the real deal and fighting demons) -- it would lend weight to Thunt saying on his twitter that in a couple of pages, the world of Goblins changes forever... I have a theory, but I'm going to keep it to myself for now...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:59 am

^^^ ^^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^, ^^^^^.
You may be on to something, Hyena.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:13 pm

^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^!!!!
...^^^.

I just read the last few pages of the BWW thread (did you guys know there is a person there who made an amazing redrawing of Forgath? It's seriously impressive), and someone pointed out the way mister purple monster was walking in the top panels. Now I can't stop looking at it without laughing :lol:

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:54 pm

ughhhh too obvious DnD Reference
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

vals_toy
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: valstoy

Post by vals_toy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:08 pm

Does anyone else think that the gray one on the right in the last panel REALLY looks like Zeratul from StarCraft? It can't be just me, can it?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:54 am

Guus wrote:^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^!!!!
...^^^.comment from Krulle: can't read yours, Guus...

I just read the last few pages of the BWW thread (did you guys know there is a person there who made an amazing redrawing of Forgath? It's seriously impressive), and someone pointed out the way mister purple monster was walking in the top panels. Now I can't stop looking at it without laughing :lol:
Meh, BWW is now on a blocked list here, can't go and have a look.
BTW, some Russian reader made two nice drawings of Forgath and Complains of Names (see here).

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:37 am

Here you go Krulle:
► Show Spoiler
Not inciting a discussion here btw, I don't want to derail the topic too much ;)
I saw the russian sketches, they are pretty close to how THunt draws them I think.

binarytears
Mutters to Themself

Post by binarytears » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:47 am

What concerns me, is that purple CLANK. Which seems to be Oblivious meeting the purple demon's tape-wrapped pointy-arm, and failing to slice right through it. That's not good, not good at all.

I wonder how many of the party are going to die? Due to Minmax's stupid goof with the sword. It was funny when it happened, it's not going to be funny soon.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:29 pm

Guus wrote:Here you go Krulle:
► Show Spoiler
Not inciting a discussion here btw, I don't want to derail the topic too much ;)
I saw the russian sketches, they are pretty close to how THunt draws them I think.
They can't hate us that much if they're making this sort of effort. :thaco:. And seriously, BWW is banned? Like, it's not possible/permitted to link to it, at all? That seems a bit, well, censorous for my liking.

EDIT: More Likely Krulle meant his ISP or workplace blocks it.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Yes. That's what he meant.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:46 am

Yep, I meant the computer systems at my physical location....
Sorry for having been that imprecise.

There are some very talented artists on the BWW boards... I enjoy it when I see a piece of art coming over here from them.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:05 am

Glemp wrote:
Guus wrote:Here you go Krulle:
► Show Spoiler
They can't hate us that much if they're making this sort of effort. :thaco:. And seriously, BWW is banned? Like, it's not possible/permitted to link to it, at all? That seems a bit, well, censorous for my liking.

EDIT: More Likely Krulle meant his ISP or workplace blocks it.
Goat is pretty beastly from the quick look I've had. His art is spawned from criticism or witty comments for the most part.
► Show Spoiler
Got a Kore redraw in the works too.

Started his own comic to boot.
http://parydissia.com/chapter1/1-2
Not my cup of tea personally since I don't care for anthromorphs.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 am

Maybe we should create a thread in the Artist's Alley for all the great fanart they provide us with?
But I do not know if they agree to having it shared here to that degree.
In these discussion threads they drown with new comics, in the Artist's Alley they might float much longer....

Thanks for providing that collection!

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:45 am

Morgaln? Xaver? BA? What do you peepz think?

I believe Goat is a woman by the way, but I am not quite sure. Doubt they're the type to get offended by wrong pronouns though.

binarytears
Mutters to Themself

Post by binarytears » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:16 am

So NO ONE has any interest in talking about the key details of this strip?
How come Oblivious didn't slice through the troll like through butter?
And what is that 'TINK' when MinMax tapped the blade with his finger in panel 4? Tink is not a sound you'd expect from a glove touching the flat of a blade. Did he just switch it somehow to some mode he (and we) didn't know about? One in which it doesn't go through stuff, but just blocks?
Why does it now have a glow around the edge? I don't recall it doing that last time we saw it, back at the dungeon entrance.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:28 am

Oblivious doesn't go through things like butter...

In previous fights, e.g. Not-Walter, it also did not slice through things. (this and the next page)
It also did not go through the floor when it had been created link.

It may be connected with Minmax's expectation of fighting against a normal sword

And I think the sword always had a glow, to offset the black nothingness further. (e.g. naming the sword: http://www.goblinscomic.com/02172012/ ; at the entrance to this dungeon: http://www.goblinscomic.org/01112014/)

edit: added links as I found them

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:58 am

Nice tone binary, really appreciate it. But I'll humor you.

The tink: I am pretty sure that his glove is some kind of metal, and the fact that it bends the way it does is artistic creativity (or maybe it's just part of the magical properties of his armor). Also not really a key detail, just a sound effect that has very little actual relevance to the story except for setting the mood: it shows that he presses his finger down more agressively instead of sort of gently touching the blade, which goes with his annoyed demeanor.

I wonder if the floor can be seen as difficult terrain? Fast-moving water isn't exactly easy to walk through. It seems really shallow, but at the same time the lines on the water seem to suggest quite a bit of movement, so it has to be deep enough to cause some trouble moving (especially for small creatures like Goblins) or the water should be behaving differently.

The line just under where the nose should be on the demon's faces are hilarious to me: it's like they have some kind of extremely angry frowny face.