Goblin Diggers

Inspired
Game Master

Goblin Diggers

Post by Inspired » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:09 pm

A small, simple game of mine, with some re-thought ruleset.

There is a map with 4 players, whose aim is to get to the diamond:

In order to get there, they have to dig! Duh.

How will this happen?

Each player has 3 actions for a turn, in this order:
1. Play a Card (if they have)
2. Move
3. Dig!

When everyone had their action and those are evaluated, they can
4. Trade

You mentioned digging twice, but it's still not very clear.

There are 8 resources on the map, grouped in two main groups:
USEFUL: gold (yellow blocks), silver (light grey), iron (dark grey), coal (black)
SHINY: ruby (red), amethyst (purple), sapphire (light blue), emerald (green)

These are the colored blocks within the tiles. When the player "digs", they obtain 1 - 3 pieces of said resource, and the tile becomes passable, colored light grey just like the tiles the players currently standing on. A player can only dig on adjacent tiles, so they have to move eventually. Resources adjacent to passable terrain will be revealed, everything else stays in "fog of war".

Players can move 1 tile / turn.

Seems too simple so far.

Yep! But there's more!
Each player has to choose one FANCY and one HATED resource! One has to be from the USEFUL kind, and the other one from the SHINY kind. Whether you like useful minerals and hate shinies, or the other way around, is up to you.

What's the point of that?

As soon as you collect 5 FANCY resources, you can trade them in for a FANCY card. Similarly, when you collect 5 HATE resources, you can trade them in for HATE cards.

These are the following: (spoilered for brevity)
► Show Spoiler
Each player can have 3 cards in front of them, and can hold 3 in hand. They receive the cards randomly upon trading in, and these go into their hand. They can activate them by placing those in front of them. Items stay active until they are removed, every other card is removed automatically at the end of the turn.

Hold on, what are veins? I seem to have read the term in the spoilers...

Veins are a group of resources that have the same type. Although you can only see the edge of a vein (one tile or two), it can be a lot bigger. Veins generally hold 1 - 8 tiles of the same type.

What to do with resources that are not FANCY or HATE?
Keep them and trade them! You might do bargains with other players, or with the NPC market that opens after every turn.

Market offers can be the following:
- Trade in 3 of a kind resource for 1 Victory Point
- Trade in 5 of a kind resource for 2 Victory Points
- Trade in 5 of a kind resource for 1 FANCY / HATE card.
- And some other combinations you will see later on when you'll have enough resources for trickier traders.

Which resource is currently in demand will be rolled randomly. Traders will only want to buy VISIBLE resources, so someone can always aim to mine to their demands.

Ah, scoring, finally. What else to know about that?
The game ends when someone gets to the diamond in the middle. The diamond is worth 10 Victory Points. (Maybe 20, I don't know without a test run. But 10 seems right.) The one with the most points wins the game, and gets the bragging rights.

I'm bored of speaking to myself as if I were someone else. How do I join?
Well, you come up with a name for your character, and choose a starting position (blue, red, yellow, green), that will be you! You also choose a FANCY and a HATE resource. Players can choose the same combinations, the only restriction is that one must be a USEFUL, and the other is SHINY.

I'm waiting for Thursday evening my time with the applications and then kick it off! Updates once a day, night time, more on the weekends.
Last edited by Inspired on Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka LooksAndSmiles, or L&S for short.

Dlover
Game Master

Re: Goblin Diggers

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:15 pm

I'll give it a shot.

Diggersby
Blue start
Fancy: Coal
Hate: Ruby
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:44 am

I'll go at it as well :P

Choked on coal
Yellow start
Fancy: Amethyst
Hated: Coal
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:21 am

I was about to come in and accuse this of being a spambot post, since I recognised the game and the ruleset but not the poster's name and we've had a lot of posts recently that are just copy-pastes of old threads. Then I looked at the Newcomers thread. Welcome back, L&S :D

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:19 am

nikohl wrote:I was about to come in and accuse this of being a spambot post, since I recognised the game and the ruleset but not the poster's name and we've had a lot of posts recently that are just copy-pastes of old threads. Then I looked at the Newcomers thread. Welcome back, L&S :D
Yay, that's heartwarming! :shy:

Especially since I was sure I haven't played this game on this forum (a quick search through the games archives didn't help either), and on one of the old forums there was only one game with slightly different mechanics, so yeah. :)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:54 am

Welcome back! (again)
Yeah I remembered seeing this game (at least the picture) before but I couldn't put my finger on when or who made it back then though I don't remember if it ever started.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:41 pm

I still need 2 more players to start... :) I will start it anyway if you will be only two, it will have a duel feel to it. :D But still it would be nice to have more players... :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 am

Throws Hats
Green start
Fancy: Emerald
Hated: Coal

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:42 pm

Dislikes Choosing

red remains

Loves Iron,
Hates Ruby
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Game started 3 days ago, just a fyi.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Oh, sorry, I do not habitually check the games. Seldomly I have a look, and if something catches my fancy, I might look more. But then I rely on the forum's egoseach function to tell me somehting has happened in the games I play.

With a link it would've been easier to see and find : http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1536
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Inspired
Game Master

Post by Inspired » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Yeah, sorry about that, It's my fault. Since I got two answers pretty quickly after start I figured it shouldn't be an issue. Haven't been around much lately so I guess the games forum reading habits might have been changed up since a bit.