Splicer Costume for Halloween

thinkslogically
Game Master

Splicer Costume for Halloween

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:12 pm

Anyone a Bioshock fan? Today I have been making Splicer costumes for me and the OH for a Halloween party next week. It's been a fun and totally messy experience!

For those not familiar, this is the look I'm going for:
► Show Spoiler
And for those who are interested, this is how the process has been going so far:

Butterfly mask:
► Show Spoiler
This one was fairly easy as there's a local art shop that sold cardboard butterfly-shaped masquerade masks so all I had to do was decorate them. A bit of ivory acrylic paint as a base coat followed by gold acrylic paint for the details (applied with a piping bag for cakes!) was all that was required. I used red ink for the blood spatter, but will be using food colouring next time I think as it's a bit darker.

Rabbit mask (in progress):
This is a bit trickier, since rabbit masks apparently are very hard to find. So, instead, it starts with a cat mask:
► Show Spoiler
Tape on some rabbit-shaped ears:
► Show Spoiler
And papier-mache over the joins:
► Show Spoiler
Paint & decorate:
► Show Spoiler
and add some blood spatter (red food colouring):
► Show Spoiler
Done!

Hook Weapons
More papier mache for these! To get the hooks, I started out with two of those cheap and crappy plastic pirate hooks you can buy pretty much anywhere. Then, I took the hook part out and taped on come corrugated card to form the shape of the handle:
► Show Spoiler
Covered the whole load in papier mache:
► Show Spoiler
These didn't dry overnight (at all), so I chucked them in the oven at about 50C for a few hours and it sped the whole thing up.

Painted them silver:
► Show Spoiler
and add the blood:
► Show Spoiler
If I was doing these again, I'd probably use grey paint instead of silver to give it more of a steel look rather than the shiny finish, but whatever.

I'll post a photo of the finished costumes after halloween :)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Splicer Costume for Halloween

Post by Krulle » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:50 am

Wow, you did quite some forum archive digging to reply here.
I'm starting to wonder if I'm stumbling over a pattern, as neither you nor KittyCathy did their normal "first three posts" in the welcome or username threads, but here where it's rather hidden from the general community.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, LadyLand.

Indeed, well done, thinks....
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:57 am

Yeah, i bet those are bots. However, there doesn't seem to be publically shown profile fields for them to fill in links. Or maybe, they're waiting for a while and add in links in signatures later.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Fixed that for you, sorry I haven't been around to help.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Terabapuno1
Remains Silent
UStream Username: Terabapuno1

Post by Terabapuno1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:49 pm

A bit of ivory acrylic paint as a base coat followed by gold acrylic paint for the details (applied with a piping bag for cakes!) was all that was required.?????

== Solitaire ==