Interest Testing: Waterworld

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Interest Testing: Waterworld

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:32 am

While I am interested, I don't have the time to devote to playing it at the moment, so abstain from voting. If I should have the time when it gets closer to you starting this game, and there is still room for another player, I would be willing to join whatever the consensus is at that time.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:28 pm

I want to play!
I would like to be a mutant
I would like to be a Drifter / Atoller / Smoker
My idea of fun would be gang fights on the high seas or exploring ruined places.
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:29 pm

I wanna play.
Mutant! Mutant mutant!
And I dont really care.

I think it would be fun to go through old ruins, or looking for something unsusual.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:39 am

Now that I'm officially Dr.'d up, I'm expressing my interest in this.

--
I want to play!
I would like to be a mutant /I would NOT like to be a mutant
My idea of fun would be surviving on the high seas through a combination of skill and cunning, battling the elements and those that would take our lives and belongings.
--

Since it seems that most people are wanting mutant, except for Chuck.... Chuck, would you be open to being a non-mutie on an otherwise mutant crew? Perhaps an outcast for social rather than genetic reasons?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:39 am

If everyone is a mutant, I'll play a mutant too. I just felt it was an unnecessary element in this game. If its open to us I'll play it, but otherwise I felt everything stood on its own merit with out a mutant gimmick (I thought it was unnecessary in the movie too). Though a non-mutant on a mutant crew sounds interesting. Still I think I'll want my character to have a mutant special ability to make him unique... just like everyone else. Honestly nothing I crossed off is something I'm completely against, I just would prefer other options.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:48 am

is it too late to jump into this, my job situation has changed so i could...and I would totally be a non-mutant among this mutant group. though...a very awkard non-mutant im sure.

--
I want to play!
I would like to be a mutant/ I would NOT like to be a mutant .... Or a Half-Mutant
My idea of fun would be to find my mutant father that my non-mutant mother told me stories about. otherwise being a drifter.
--

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 am

Not too late to join in, as nothing's closed/fixed/etc. I was leaving the whole thing until various people's various situations, inc mine, had settled down. Now that Spider's less busy, and that my mom's wedding is out of the way (it took up way more of her time than mine, obviously, but it was still "a thing"), and so on, I can start looking at it at bit more seriously.

Those of you who are talking about mutant-ness, both from a yea and a nay perspective, please note that mutations will be minor - They'll have in-game usefulness, but the whole point of them is that you're displaying a useful random genetic quirk that the majority of the closed-minded NPC types in the world will be variously disparaging of/hostile about, etc., as they were in the film, and that this outcastiness is maybe what brought you as a group together. Also, Badge, there are no "half-mutants" in a crunch sense - you could have had a mutant parent but not inherited their mutation if you want, as per your post, but that's the only definition of "half-mutant" I'll allow, and it will be purely RP-based, not numbers-based.

"The Mariner" had several mutations, to my eye:
  • He had functioning gills that tied into his regular human lungs, making him able to filter oxygen from water as well as breathing air and allowing both equally efficiently.
  • He had webbed toes, allowing him to swim particularly well when un-shod and also do dolphin-jumps iirc, but not hindering him on land.
  • He had the ability to withstand extremes of pressure (as he dove a loooong way below the surface without the protection a normal person would need) as well as normal atmospheric pressure.
  • He had what appeared to be some amount of extra-human physicality, beyond the Hero Armour/Rule of Cool stuff.
If you guys were mutants, you wouldn't get a big long list like that. You'd get "a thing" each - e.g. gills, webbed toes or fingers, a second set of eyelids that when closed allow you to see perfectly underwater and not get stingy salt-eye, invisibly scaly shark-skin for low friction swimming, a protective oily secretion of some kind for temperature regulation or slippery escapiness, coarse otter-like hair for protection or a complete absence of hair for hydrodynamics, some manner of altered pigmentation (towards the blue probably), that kind of thing. You wouldn't all be "The Mariner"-s, with a nicely matching set of cool bonus traits, and you wouldn't all have the same mutation as each other.

The mutations would all be geared towards Waterworld-survival and would probably come with a corresponding minor drawback (besides the main drawback of marking you as "a mutant") for non-water based stuff. Someone with gills might find themselves prone to "drying out" and getting sore gills/neck/chest and appropriate penalties if they didn't use their gills often enough, or conversely might find that their gills are only proto-gills and can only function at low-exertion, not providing enough oxygen for prolonged periods. Someone who has webbed fingers can propel themselves through water much better than someone without, but they can't fit their webs through a harpoon's trigger without a lot of discomfort and potential damage to the membrane, or without a penalty to the shot. Similarly, a webfoot can swim and jump out of the water with ease, but finds shoes uncomfortable and even barefoot struggles with sharp stony surfaces and climbing as the webs between each toe are sensitive and relatively inflexible.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:22 am

how about a boy who was born of a mutant/non mutant pairing that thinks he is a mutant and thus tries to "find" and "hang out with" his own kind which are actually not his own kind. and is also seeking his mutant father.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:59 am

Having very recently found the movie on Netflix, I'd be up for playing. I don't care who / what I play, though I'd prefer to be boat-based rather than island-based if at all possible. Mutants sound fun :)

I think it would be nice to have a defined purpose of some sort rather than just playing a survival-sim but whatevs. I'm easy.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:51 am

I'm not sure about "thinking he's a mutant" - he'd either have a mutation or not have a mutation, so... :/

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Named after a floating object that was found and treasured as a relic from the world before. Kiwi knew that somewhere deep inside he was a mutant like his father. His mother tried to dissuade him from this thought pattern, lest they be further estranged from the small floating community. His mother feared that one day their small hovel would be cut free from the rest of the flotsam rabble that made up their village, but she found herself unable to stop the young boy from telling everyone about the gills that fluttered on his heartstrings...

^(Not a mutant....strongly believes he is, example above)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:29 pm

He could also have an "ordinary" mutation of the sort that people actually get IRL rather than a superpower. Something like having 2 appendixes or a mild cat allergy... "Mutations" are presumably all a matter of degree anyway right?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Sure, he could have heterochromia or six fingers or be albino or something, but my plan when I said "either you're all mutants or none of you are" for ease of running, was that you'd all have actual considered-by-the-populace "Homo Icthyosapiens" mutations. Already-extant differences like albinism wouldn't be met with the same "MUTANT!" outrage that the insular Atollers seemed to have in the film, imo. But if anyone wanted to have a 'non-useful' mutation like that, I would be okay with it, I guess.

Strongly believing he's a mutant is a bit of a difficult one to run with when mutations are noticeable, Badge. That's like strongly believing you're Asian when you're demonstrably not :s

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:00 pm

That's true, fair enough :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:07 pm

mm...good point..perhaps whatever his mutation is...however helpful it may or may not be, it's unnoticeable and he could pass as a human, other than the fact that he runs around telling people hes a mutant...

he's that one kinda mutant kid, that all the other mutant kids hate...

Mutation ideas: He is able to "hold his breathe" for inhuman lengths of time.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:19 pm

We'll see. Best of both worlds is a little difficult to run with, but I might be able to swing it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:25 pm

nikohl wrote:That's like strongly believing you're Asian when you're demonstrably not :s
Tell that to Ms. Dolezal...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:37 pm

I want to play!

Can you explain some of the terms a bit? I do not remember all of them. Whats a drifter, Atoller?

My idea of fun would be to be one of the underwater breather mutants and doing dives. To maybe build and upgrade a swimming platform. A bit like shop combined with a defense game. Some run the shop, some dive, we together play versus NPCs. How does that sound?
:zzz:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Drifters are more nomadic, atollers are essentially villagers, living in an established community. Smokers are bandits.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler