Outbreak ~ a TEST game -- first player draft

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Outbreak ~ a TEST game -- first player draft

Post by askstoomuch » Thu May 07, 2015 12:33 pm

OUTBREAK

I had this idea for a while, A role-playing game set in an apocalypse. Not your boring every day realistic nuclear war or natural events apocalypse but good old zombies
An unnamed and unexplained virus has broken out and with it came the end of civilization as we know it, Those who have died, Didn't stay that way. Risen from their graves they walk amongst the lands of the living once more feasting on the flesh of all those cross their path.

Why a test game ?
I am looking for four players for this first test run of this game. there are a few reasons why this is a test game and not a real game.
first up I suck at managing a game, I have tried making a forum game on several occasions and have never hit the 5 turn mark... Yeah not proud of that. If I can finish this test game I could try my hand at a much bigger scale of this game. if people are interested of course
The other reason is that I have to work on the rules a bit, I will set up basic rules lower in this post. they are subject to change and will do so during the game.

The rules
- There are no zombies in popular fiction in this universe, No Walking Dead, No Left For Dead, Night Of The Living Dead.... You dont have a clue what a zombie is how to kill one let alone what the word zombie even means.
- We are working with the classic George A Romero undead, These guys are slow, dumb and easy to kill if you know how...
- Rotters like to bite, when they bite you well that sucks you are going to die, How long it last before the bite kills and turns you an be anywhere from 3 min to 3 days
- Everybody has basic stats measuring stuff like health, hunger, thirst.... These differ between people some people are stronger than other some need to eat more we'll agree on those stats when we make your character, folk with bad stats on somethings can of course compromise with really good stats on other things
- Same goes with skills, battle, luck rolls, building stuff. Everybody has unique skills rolls will be done with a simple die. Example A has never fired a gun he shoots at a walker aiming for the head he rolls a 4, he misses the walker eats his face. B however is a trained marine he shoots the same walker that just eat A he rolls a 10 but being a trained shooter he has a +5 on shooting roles 10+5 =15 he shoots the walker in his head killing it.
- oh before you get your hope on with the guns, the game is not set in Texas guns are hard to find
- The game master (me ) is always right, when he is not ? he will make sure your face gets eaten =p
- This is a survival heavy game and not a zombie slasher.

What I need to run this game.
This basic taste run of the game will follow a small family
I need a dad, a mom (or second dad i'm cool with whatever 8) )
Some kids, you can of course choice to be an uncle , aunt... what ever family member what you feel like being

When you pick your name and family position.
Second I need a character description.
Due note that you are a simple middle class family, the kids are not undercover FBI agents :p

And last all feedback and ideas are more then welcome, I hope we can make this game work and most of all make it fun!
Last edited by askstoomuch on Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Outbreak ~ a TEST game ( 4-5 players wanted)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Yeah, I'll join in.

I'll go for:

Name: Jack
Description: The 19 year-old son in the family. He's been working in a bar down the road from his parent's house since he left school at 17 and so far has achieved very little else in his life. He's supposedly saving up for a deposit on a flat, but it's largely an excuse to keep his parent's from asking him for rent while he lives at home. He spends most of his time and money hanging out with his mates. Being from a nice middle-class part of the country, he has never got in any sort of fight beyond that one time he punched someone for taking his lunch money in the queue in school and made them cry. He got a 3 day suspension and never did it again.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu May 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Name: Uncle Jeb (Full name: Jebediah Conan McWhirdyl

Description: Sporting a Balding Mullet and a early onset potbelly, 38 year-old Jeb hasn't done overly much with his life. His hobbies include drinking beer, shooting various animal wildlife, and urinating in public places. Uncle Jeb has been arrested at least 3 times for public intoxication, 1 time for public urination and 2 times for public nudity. Uncle Jeb prides himself in being able to open beer bottles with various body parts and holding one of the fastest times for drinking an entire 32 oz can of beer and smashing it against his forehead. He spends a good deal of his time trying to beat his own record. Jeb Typically wears a truckers hat to hide his balding head, though his brown tangled mane he leaves out the back in all its glory.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Fri May 08, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Thu May 07, 2015 1:03 pm

great sign ups so far =D great to have you guys on the team

I also need you guys to agree on a family name

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 07, 2015 1:19 pm

MacWhirdle

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu May 07, 2015 1:46 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:Name: Uncle Jeb
Damn it, I wanted to play the creepy uncle!

Name: Peter
Role: Father
Description: Spent a lot of his youth getting into trouble with his brother Jeb. Then He met his future wife _____(I'll let her player pick the name), and straightened out. On occasion he'll get the urge to do something stupid with his brother. He occasionally gets calls from the local watering hole at 2 am asking him to pick Jeb up. He usually complies, simply because on the occasions he doesn't, he gets calls from the cops at 3 am asking them to pick him up out of their holding tank. Despite his clean record, the cops know him well. They have him on speed dial.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu May 07, 2015 2:02 pm

The funny thing is that the picture in my mind is a guy that I work with.....I'm horrible..I know..

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 07, 2015 2:12 pm

No really. I vote for MacWhirdle as our surname. MacWhirtle if you prefer that spelling, but MacWhirdle nonetheless. We are a proud and slightly obscure clan and no-one can ever spell our name correctly which leads to all sorts of minor annoyances when dealing with call centres.

Out of curiosity, will this game be set in Europe?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu May 07, 2015 2:25 pm

how about McWhirdyl...I'm not a huge fan of the a in Mac M(a)c

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Really? You know Mc is just the abbreviated form of Mac?

Anyway, I don't mind at all how it's spelled :) It was (bizarrely) the first name that sprung to mind for no particular reason, but I quite like it :lol:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu May 07, 2015 3:52 pm

Asks, are you remembering to take your turns in GAL 8?
► Show Spoiler

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Thu May 07, 2015 9:46 pm

if you sign up i will ? =p

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri May 08, 2015 5:22 am

I would love to mate, great concept but given I'm gonna be having a hiatus in 2-3 weeks its not fair if I pick up any more games.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 08, 2015 6:06 am

Wait, does that mean you won't be taking your turns in GAL 8? ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri May 08, 2015 6:08 am

Its too bad you don't have time to play Synch or Spider

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri May 08, 2015 7:56 am

I'd play, but I said I wasn't going to join up to something new... Still. If it's only a test run, maybe I -will- have time. Especially with SCH and CoA going on hiatus soon.

We'll see.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 08, 2015 7:58 am

Ah go on!! It may only last four turns and we need 1 more player :)

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Fri May 08, 2015 8:12 am

and you can be thinks mom (or second dad =p)

like you haven't dreamt about grounding her =p

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri May 08, 2015 8:18 am

perhaps...instead of being an awkward husband wife combo, she could be an aunt...

we could say that the mother died after having her neck ripped open or something...just a thought.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri May 08, 2015 8:20 am

I was really tempted to be a kid instead! But go on then. Just so I can completely piss off Badge and Chuck...

Say hello to mommy.

Edited in an actual character while Badge/others have a minute to react to that - safe in the knowledge that it was the two brothers that made me go to that place...

Name: Missy
Missy is Peter's long-suffering wife. But, on the flipside of that coin, Peter is Missy's long-suffering husband. No-one's quite sure how or why they got together or stayed together, but whatever they do, it seems to work. She claims that all the trouble he and his brother used to get into is a source of great shame for her, as a hard-working housewife... but she's no saint and everyone knows it. Despite never having a job, she provides for her family and never seems short of the basics - or even the nicer things. She has a larger police file than Jeb and Peter put together, but her file is full of "suspicion of" and "connected with" and "cautioned for", compared to their nights in the drunk tank and stupid pranks. She doesn't look old enough to be Jack's mom. :shrug:

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri May 08, 2015 8:36 am

nikohl wrote:Just so I can completely piss off Badge and Chuck...

Say hello to mommy.
Hello Mamma! :love:
nikohl wrote:Missy is Peter's long-suffering wife. But, on the flipside of that coin, Peter is Missy's long-suffering husband.
Heh... this is going to be fun. I get the feeling you're going to be a bigger threat to me than the zombies. I'll try to give as good as I get though. :evillaugh:
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri May 08, 2015 8:39 am

Jeb is jealous of his brothers hot wife and has been backhanded several times for openly staring..

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 am

Your two descriptions immediately made me think of My Name Is Earl, so I just -had- to bring in a ridiculous Joy-type character. She won't be that much of an asshole though.

Chuck: I figure with the amount of IC and OOC bickering we've managed to do recently we should be able to have fun with this, haha!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri May 08, 2015 8:56 am

Vent-session... :D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 08, 2015 9:02 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Jeb is jealous of his brothers hot wife and has been backhanded several times for openly staring..
Jack finds the sexualisation of his mother by his uncle gross and creepy. He smokes weed so he doesn't have to think about it, even though it comes up most nights when Jeb has been drinking in the pub Jack works in.