Lair of the Mountain King: OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: OOC Thread

Post by Dlover » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:48 am

The fire things are probably imps. The big bad that we're ultimately opposing has been summoning things to try to stop us pretty much since the moment we set foot in the mountain. Some of his minions were observed activating the teleporter, and we investigated it, randomly choosing the water area (Marked 'skuts') to go to. As far as we know, the only thing to do there was to kill a big fish that was keeping the skuts (The underwater people) from getting to their store rooms, which we've done. When it died it released a goblin's soul and left a strange stone behind, currently in Tugs' inventory.
While some of us were handling the crab and skeleton, others went back to the main teleporter, where the big bad made some comment and started to summon some minions, at which point those who had gone back came to the Skuts again, until we could all regroup. We pretty much just expected if the big bad had summoned any enemies, they would still be there.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:30 am

This isn't the only part of the game that contains story info, but if you're pressed for time, have a look at turns 133-134 (http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ulet#p8415) and 169 - 171 (http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... r+2#p55321). They should give you a rough idea of the general plot background.

I'll leave the other parts for the players to explain :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:22 am

So: I am heading off to a teeny Scottish island tomorrow to teach on a fieldwork course. I am hoping that I'll be able to get an update done tomorrow morning for you, but we'll see... Anyway, for the next 2 weeks it's likely that I'm going to have fairly sporadic access to the internet. I'll update if and when I can, but I don't know how much work I'm going to need to do in the evenings yet. If it's a relaxed group of students it should be fine; if they're stressy and want tons of help... maybe not so much. We shall see what happens!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:22 pm

Ok, we're dinged up, low on mana and while we've taken out two of them, we haven't touched the others.

"Splits hops off the teleporter pad and spends 1MP to try and channel the fire out of one of the sprites up at the ceiling. His considerable practice makes the attempt easier, but it feels like the sprites are able to resist his attempts somehow... He suspects that he might be successful if he could channel more power into the spell."

This makes me reasonably confident that if enough MP is channeled through Splits, that he could snuff these guys out, but I think most of us have expended some or all of our MP.

We could retreat, heal and restore MP, then come back through, but might be faced with a much bigger threat then. We could stay and fight, but I'm not sure how we'll be able to get the flying ones down within striking range. We definitely need to keep 1 MP in reserve to operate the teleport.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:53 pm

Channeling MP to insta-kill might work. Additionally, you could try grabbing another one while you're retreating anyways, and then douse them in the water just like I did. :P

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:56 pm

FYI: One of the remaining 2 is pretty badly hurt, but the other is at full health.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:05 pm

I still have full MP (2/2) and 4/5Hp, so I could stay and help with the anti-fire spell.

That said, the badly injured/on fire guys should really go back through the tele-portal and douse themselves in the water so they don't burn to death or something. But to do that we need someone channeling MP into it, and someone else activating the thing so they still have their action to dive into the water. Any volunteers?

EDIT: Maybe Mort could power/activate it from his side? Would that work?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:12 pm

No idea if the power it from this side would work. Could you tell us Thinks, or is that something we'd have to test on our own?

Anyways, I don't think taking out the badly injured one would be too much of a problem, at which point the final fire sprite is not too much of an issue anymore besides the whole "being put on fire" thing.

Also this is obviously an RPG, so should any of you fall unconscious they'll also stop being on fire, of course. So then you could revive them with 1HP/MP. I think I gave Dusk one of the phoenix down's as well, should desperate times call for desperate measures?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:18 pm

From what I've seen, we only caught on fire when they actually dealt damage, right? So now that there are only two of them, anybody with two or more defence should be safe, since if they want to come into melee range and use their grab attack thing we can just teleport out and douse them like Burns did the first one.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Not so. 3 of them did 2 damage through my 4 defense. So anyone with 4 or more defense is safe.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:14 am

M0rtimer wrote:No idea if the power it from this side would work. Could you tell us Thinks, or is that something we'd have to test on our own?
Nah, the return-buttons are one-way only; they won't swap you with someone else on the teleporter, they'll only bring you back to it.
M0rtimer wrote:Also this is obviously an RPG, so should any of you fall unconscious they'll also stop being on fire, of course.
:lol: Sure.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:25 am

Dlover wrote:From what I've seen, we only caught on fire when they actually dealt damage, right? So now that there are only two of them, anybody with two or more defence should be safe, since if they want to come into melee range and use their grab attack thing we can just teleport out and douse them like Burns did the first one.
It looks more like random chance to me. Shell caught fire despite not taking any damage from the attacks themselves, while Eaten took damage on the same turn but didn't catch fire.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:08 am

Well, I know nothing then.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 am

M0rtimer wrote:Anyways, I don't think taking out the badly injured one would be too much of a problem, at which point the final fire sprite is not too much of an issue anymore besides the whole "being put on fire" thing.
Except we need to be able to hit them... and they are annoyingly staying out of melee range, and our mobility on the ground is limited due to the traps.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:22 pm

I got caught up helping my aunt format her dissertation over Facebook tonight(!) and teaching an impromtu dive lecture so the update will be delayed until tomorrow. If you want to vote for Finds' actions please go ahead :) Also waiting on an action for Burned.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:10 pm

I was hoping that the 3MP would do the job, but those sprites are tough little buggers. At least we didn't take any damage. I don't recall how successful meditating in combat is, but I'm willing to give it a try to pop enough MP to take them out in a couple turns.... we also have a few more MP batteries in Burned and Finds sitting on the other side of the portal...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Meditating during combat is not possible.

But if you guys are desperate on getting out and out of mp, you could go left and go through one of the doors there..? I'm looking to come back pretty soon though, so then i could help out.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:48 pm

M0rtimer wrote:Meditating during combat is not possible.
I suspected something of the sort. Current goblins in combat have 2 MP between them, not sure on the success of others using the same spell, and Splits is tapped out at the moment. If Burned and Finds come through, they'd be bringing 3 MP (after deducting for activating 'port)... Both sprites are pretty weak, so knocking them down to melee range ought to finish the job, and Burned has experience doing the downdraft thing to knock them down. Have Finds activate the portal, and if Burned is able, downdraft the sprites into striking distance?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:04 am

Yeah, I think having Burned come back through and downdraft the sprites this turn is the best option. Otherwise those of us with melee weapons aren't really going to be able to do anything this turn except sit around and hope we don't catch fire. And if we can push down both of them (somehow) and spread out our attacks, we might even be able to finish the fight this turn.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:54 am

Do you have any suggestions for something useful Finds could do? I'm still trying to figure out what he can do with the stuff he has.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:56 am

Right now we had voted he could charge the portal and come through with us- That'd leave me and Chuck able to take out the remaining sprites on the other side.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:04 am

Did you vote on any change in equip before that? I'd very much like him to use the water-imbued armor he made, and see if it damages the fire sprites.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:07 am

Nope, missed that- But hey, Thinks knows now. :P

Not that it's gonna matter much probably, the moment I step back through that portal I'm gonna become public enemy nr. 1 again. I could try putting it on for you to test it, but exchanging equipment items is an action I don't think we have...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:18 pm

Yeah, if you want to wear the water-armour, then just say so in the game thread and you'll be wearing it. Finds is your character Gathers, so your wishes will overrule any votes the other players might have suggested.

As far as Finds himself goes, he was originally something of a knowledge-seeker (he put time into both crafting and magic) and seems to be a hoarder (seriously, he's got one of almost everything that these guys found outside the mountain halls, including a live terrapin (named Pterry) and a dead squirrel).

Finds currently has full HP and MP. As far as spells go, you could have him donate / use his MP to try and drain the heat out of a sprite again, or use the MP to heal other players (if you can find an accessible source of HP; it could be Finds). There's also been some success in using magic to gust the sprites onto the floor to bring them into melee range.

Or you could let someone else do that and then just beat the crap out of them when they're in range. Finds has a +2 shortsword so isn't too bad as an attacker.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:04 pm

As for snuffing, the only goblins with experience in that (primarily Splits) are out manna, so any attempts would be unguided.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler