Potential: Group Two Game Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Potential: Group Two Game Thread

Post by nikohl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:11 am

Potential: an RPG

If you found yourself in an unfamiliar world, a familiar but not-quite-right body, with your former memories fading fast and half-replaced by those of someone else, how would you react? If the rules that constrained everyone else in the world didn't seem to apply to you, what would you do with your new life?

World Background

Potential is set on an Earth-like planet known as Ebhen. It is, essentially, a world in the D&D universe, with all that entails - though it is not 100% identical (mainly so that rules, history and so on can be tailored for our purposes), it is close enough. The world is large and spread out across several continents. Just like Earth, it has a large variety of climates and biomes and a huge range of cultures spread out across the world. Unlike modern Earth, most of the human population of Ebhen still sustains itself by farming, and so is spread out into villages and towns rather than consolidated into huge metropolitan areas, although there are plenty of notable cities and strongholds, and several nomadic societies. Non-humans are plentiful on Ebhen, and their cultures are as varied as those of humans - and often completely unknown and alien to outsiders. Many of the other ÔÇÿhumanoidÔÇÖ races coexist mostly separately but peacefully, but there are always exceptions who choose to make their way in the Human societies, and there are just as many less-peaceful humanoids out there, as well as those considered downright warlike. There are also other sentient races who do not resemble humans in the slightest, more than can be listed or counted here, maybe even more than can be imagined, and tales of creatures not born of Ebhen itself but from the magical planes alongside it ÔÇô but most people have never seen nor heard of anything so rare. To have met a dwarf or an elf in your lifetime was nothing unusual, but in most of the small villages, those who said theyÔÇÖd had a drink with a Lizardfolk or broken bread with a Changeling were considered ÔÇÿtellers of tall talesÔÇÖ indeed.

Introduction and PC info

You are, for an unknown reason and through an unknown method, dragged into an alternate reality; essentially, the D&D world. You are knocked out or fall asleep in the 'real world' and wake up in the alternate universe, occupying a body that closely resembles your own, but is not it.

What becomes immediately clear is that someone else used to live in this body; a few moments of head-splitting pain ensue as your psyche fights for dominance and wins. It is not a complete victory: your memories seem to merge with those of your host, and the original medieval owner of your new brain managed to reject anything he or she could not comprehend before disappearing entirely. Whether or not that person is walking around confused in your body in 2015 on Earth, you do not know - but they are not with you any more. All you have is a faint understanding of who they were, glimpses of people and places they knew, and a selection of skills that you didn't have before.

Those with ÔÇÿthe PotentialÔÇÖ (the PCs) are modern day humans from Earth who have been dragged through from their reality into this one. Whatever caused this effect took people from different moments and places all across 2015 Earth, but seemed to concentrate their arrival at the same moment in two small, inconsequential villages. Each personÔÇÖs body was left behind, and their consciousness was inserted into the mind and body of an Ebhen villager, one who seemed oddly familiar to the original in some way. The effect of the merge has ÔÇÿresetÔÇÖ the PCs back to a slightly lower skill level than they might previously have been at ÔÇô while the original character may have been a PhD student, or the host may have had a long-term career, everyone begins back at Level 1 in only 3 skills to represent the fuzziness that came from being merged. When someone with 'Potential' looks at themselves, they see themselves as marginally more "real" than their surroundings, and outlined with a very faint golden glow - not enough to prevent them seeing the environment beyond, and not enough to illuminate their surroundings, but a definitely noticeable effect. They see this same effect when they see anyone else with 'Potential', and it is fairly immediately apparent that normal people don't see this.

However ÔÇô whatever brought the PCs to this world broke reality in such a way that the rules do not apply to them. None of the basic D&D rules regarding prerequisites, limits, and such are in effect: where everyone else in the world has to earn EXP, level up in one class at a time, spend their limited number of skill points, and so on, the PCs can learn almost anything, even world-altering magics or supernatural physical powers, just as they would learn something in the real world ÔÇô through good old fashioned effort and practice. And, as they will find out quite early on, even hard work isnÔÇÖt as hard as they might have expected it to be here. Just as a taster of their rule-breaking nature, and to highlight that they are now in an innately magical world, they have awoken with a couple of unusual abilities.

Group Two Starting Village Details: Coran Pass

Coran Pass was a hamlet that had grown up around a single large cattle farm, in the south-central area of one of the larger continents of Ebhen. The region had quite a mild, Mediterranean climate, comparable to central Spain, with plenty of sun year-round, dry hot summers, mild and rainy winters. There were only a few instances of snow in winter and the occasional tropical storm in summer. Off either side were the tall hills that gave Coran Pass its name; the river which had obviously carved a route through them in the past had dwindled down to a gentle stream, which ran alongside the main dirt road. The village of Coran Pass was only really an assortment of huts, houses and workers lodges built along the road, either side of a large Tavern with attached stables. The main farmhouse building was on the other side of the road, across the stream, reached by a wide and well-built bridge. The cattle farm itself operated much like a small ranch with barns and fields for grazing off behind it, sloping up the hill, all enclosed by fencing, and an area where crops for cattle (and people!) feed were grown. Past the area cultivated by the cattle farm, and behind the houses on the other side of the stream, forest covered the tops of the hills. One or two individual ÔÇ£garden farmsÔÇØ and small businesses had sprung up in the village alongside the cattle ranch, taking advantage of the occasional passing trade caravans and the greater demand for produce; the tavern also featured a small side-room which operated as a general store, with the owner purchasing few things from trade caravans and stocking them for future resale.

Group Two is:

Chuck
Spider
Gathers
Alaen
Dlover
Synch
Quarg

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Potential: Group Two Game Thread (Pregame Open)

Rules and Such

Stats

Everyone starts with:

HP: 10
MP: 10
ATK 1
DEF 1

HP and MP regenerate at an automatic rate of 1 per day unless overridden by a negative effect preventing healing. 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep (again, unless overridden by aforementioned preventative effects) allows for recovery of an additional 1d3 HP and MP for a normal maximum of 4 of each per day on a good roll. There are also plenty of restorative items knocking around, which have a variety of effects.

Rounds ÔÇô in and out of combat

Outside of combat, the day is divided into 15 minute chunks, just like in SCH and CoA. There are no watches, so your characters won't be able to tell the exact time, but I will post it in the thread nonetheless. In combat, we break down into single turns ÔÇô a combat turn is a few seconds, enough time to move about a bit, make an attack, defend, cast a spell, et cetera. When people are exploring or doing something that is risky but that does not require individual combat turns, weÔÇÖll move at a rate that seems suitable for the situation at hand, I guess? It would be handy if you'd all be on the same timescale for the most part... Heh.

DoinÔÇÖ Stuff

(heavily borrowed from SpiderÔÇÖs SCH thread, as thatÔÇÖs where the systemÔÇÖs from - fanks Spider! ;) )

Players can attempt to accomplish a wide variety of tasks. In addition to any component or tool requirements, the task will be assigned a certain number of Completion Points (CP) needed to finish based on its complexity and at the GM's discretion. As such, the more descriptive the player is, the more engaging it will be in terms of the story, as well as making it easier to assign an appropriate number of completion points. CP will be gained by rolling dice according to skills possessed by the player, plus bonuses and minus any negatives. The minimum dice roll would be 1d3 for a player attempting a task unrelated to any skill disciplines they have a level in. Many tasks may benefit from experience in multiple skill disciplines, as the dice rolled each round are additive for each level in relevant skills.

Upon completing a task, the player will gain Skill Points (SP) towards that skill discipline. After accruing a sufficient number of SP, they will level up in that skill, allowing them to make higher dice rolls on all subsequent tasks impacted by that discipline, or in the case of a spell, feat or other single-level ability, gain it and be able to use it henceforth.

SpiderÔÇÖs example which I have shamelessly stolen: For example, a player with no relevant skills wants to build a crude spear by sharpening a pointy end onto a stick. They are considered Unskilled, and are only able to make rolls of 1d3. Crafting the spear is determined (by the GM) to constitute a 6 CP task. Since they have no real understanding or skill related to the task, it takes the player 4 turns (rolling 2,2,1,1 = 6 CP / 6 CP needed) to complete the Crude Spear, and they gain SP in Weaponcraft and Woodworking. (I should hope, however, that you all have higher aspirations than spearmaking, even at these early stages. But itÔÇÖs a good example :P)

CP and SP levels will be determined on an ongoing basis, as I attempt to find a level of balance for the game that keeps it fun, challenging, and allows for player accomplishment.

Skill Thresholds and Such:

http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1390 <--this is Spider's thread in Games Resources. It details all the stuff for his game system, including the SP thresholds for leveling up, the dice rolls you get per skill level, and all that stuff. That's what I'll be using for your actual skills. However! Gaining spells, feats, special abilities and other things that can be considered to have a single threshold which must be reached before they are considered "usable" are obviously a bit different, and will require CP through practice/learning/reading and such, rather more like the Books and Scrolls in SCH; the amount required will be based on how advanced the ability is considered to be in D&D.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Characters

Character Info is stored here. I will try and keep skills up to date here as well as in the inventory sheets which will be at the bottom of my updates. IÔÇÖm not including HP etc here yet as that will be a faff to keep updating as it goes up and down ÔÇô it will instead be at the bottom of my update posts - but I may come back and update it when it starts to become affected by items later on.
Things in italics are things unknown to other characters unless they have been told it ÔÇô players have received much greater detail than is listed here (e.g. on what the short-named special skills and individual abilities actually do) and said detail is always available from me for clarification, IÔÇÖm just not reposting it in long-form and clogging up the thread.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
--

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:28 am

Ryan woke up feeling much less awful than he had the day before... whatever bug he picked up over the weekend had been a short lived one, but he hadn't been scheduled to work yesterday anyway, so it's not like he got any extra time off for being sick. He rolled out of bed and briefly contemplated going into the lab... there weren't any projects going on at the moment, but the spring season would be on them soon, and there were lots of dishes to be washed. Sometimes he felt science was 50% cleaning. On the other hand, today was Opening Day, and marked the return of baseball. Surely taking the day off from any real responsibilities wouldn't put him that much farther behind on his work... and he could do some dishes at home, at least feel like he accomplished something.

After dumping a bunch of plates, glasses and silverware in the dishwasher and letting it finish its cycle, he grabbed his Reds ballcap and headed out... first stop, a late lunch at Skyline. One free coney with purchase of any other item... and free is always good. Burping chili and cheese, he headed to the local sports bar and secured a perch on a barstool, nodding to the bartender. Some friends might be joining him in a few hours when the game started, but he might as well get a head start....

Hours later, following a win by the good guys, and a bit more bar hopping, he stumbled home, shed his clothes and fell asleep on the couch... Man his head was gonna hurt in the morning.... Zap.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:25 pm

It had been a rather typical week for Lance. Boring study, interesting classes, and lots of attention from his dog. Today, though, was the day that he had a riding lesson. The one day in the week that he took a break from all the work and spent some time with the horses. He didn't know why, but he always felt a sense of dread as that day approached, even though he looked forwards to it and enjoyed it so greatly. He had learned quickly to ignore the sense of impending doom, so when it arose this time, he didn't pay any heed to it, not realising that today it was accurate.
Ben, the horse he rode, was being unusually troublesome today. Usually Ben would be happy to see Lance, and would excitedly be trying to help him get the bridle in place, but today he stubbornly refused to be prepared, clenching his teeth when the bit was presented and stomping his hooves as Lance tried to dig the rocks out. "Come on, Ben," he coaxed, "You're always so well behaved. You know that I'm going to be riding you today, no matter how much you fuss. At least let me make sure everything is done correctly, so you don't get hurt." Some gentle enticement never went astray with Ben. He may have been a big horse, but he was a kind one, and didn't like to upset people. It also helped that he knew he wouldn't get a carrot if nobody rode him, and Lance wouldn't ride him if he couldn't make sure Ben was properly prepared. So, with a great deal of reluctance and struggle, the rest of the tack was put in place and his hooves cleaned.
As the pair rounded a turn, Lance felt the saddle shift beneath him, rolling to one side slightly. Damn it, he thought, I didn't tighten it after he stopped acting up. I'm going to need to stop and make sure it- Before he could finish the though, the saddle lurched sideways, swinging Lance into open air. It wasn't the first time he had fallen, and he didn't expect it to be the last. Positioning his arms and legs to brace for the impact was second nature to him at this point, and he never came out of a fall with anything worse than a nasty bruise. He apparently wasn't so lucky this time. As he fell, he realised that one of the jumps set up around the arena was right beneath him, and landing on that would not be pleasant. There was a sickening crack as his shoulder and hip crashed into the wood, more than sturdy enough to take a blow without even bending. Lance lay against the jump, pain wracking his body, trying desperately to maintain consciousness, but he wasn't used to this sort of pain. In the few moments before he passed out, he could see Ben stagger after the sudden change in weight as he had tried to provide something Lance could grab onto for support, then spin and run back to his side, nosing worriedly at the man's limp body. Though he couldn't get the words out, they passed through Lance's mind, I should have known there was a reason you were acting so strangely. Sorry for not trusting you.
► Show Spoiler
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:20 pm

Amanda sat at her terminal, looking at the pictures on the screen. "Jack...I'm looking at them and they show up fine here. I don't know what people are talking about..." She stared at the last scene of the comic 6D20. It was of a tall man with glowing blue eyes staring strait out at the reader. Just as though they were one of the heroes facing this mighty villain. She looked at the long grey cloak over the red vest with Celtic designs in silver thread. They way the man sneered at her, defying her with his rapier outstretched in his left hand, preparing to strike. Do you know your going to die in the script he bastard? she thought for a moment.

"No...Sorry Jake...yeah see if Wears can get you an answer. My lunch break is over....Bye". She hung up the phone and closed the browser. Turning to her replacement who was reading out of a white three ring binder. "So was that your boyfriend?" the plump woman asked.
"Jake Bloom? Nah, he works with me on a personal project..."
"Jake Bloom? You mean the co-author of 6D20 and Avenging Angels?" the woman's english accent became more pronounced.
"Yup...I knew him back in college when he was in Architecture at Auburn..."
"So your that A.Mangus? I thought you'd be...."
"Taller?"

"More Male..."

Amanda laughed, although really why did they all think that. She threw her red pony tail of hair back over her shoulder and put on the white lab coat. "So are you ready to learn how to operate the Athanor?"
"It is just a constant temperatue oven right?"

"Yeah but it has a fairly complex Aludel built inside of it per some crazy monk's instructions. Your boss loves the damn thing so watch out..."
The new hire looked down at the manual and said, "Why are you quitting..."

Amanda shrugged, her grey eyes becoming distant. "No matter what my father and his wiregrass upbrining might say...I want to be an artist...so now I am...and I've got a two year program in France to attend rather than making more oddities for Urbane Natural..."
"Oh...so then 6d20 is doing well?"
"Yup...lets get to work here..." cutting off all talk about the rest of her life.

Amanda watched as the woman began to turn on the various electronic components. She noted that the thing had originally been attached to a huge boiler, but was now attached to a small, compact steam generator. "Truthfully the monk was right, steam is a lot more temperature stable than burning charcoal now then turn on the gas..."
The phone in the next lab began to ring, and Amanda sighed. Urbane's quality group was at a convention in Denver at the moment. She left Becky to finish the start up while she answered the phone. Apparently the man was Turkish and trying to sell her a used GC. She got him off the phone in a few moments and returned to her own lab.
As she stepped through the door she was hit by the lack of any smell, and the obvious 'weight' of the air around her. She looked at the prone figure of Becky and turned back, hitting the emergency response button as darkness took her senses.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:56 am

Mine came out far longer than I intended, so I put it in a spoiler. Not 100% happy with it but it took me a while and is a good enough representation of Timothy that I'll throw it out there.
► Show Spoiler
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:52 am

Remy rolled his eyes as a wide-eyed tourist girl with "I Love NY" T-Shirt and DSLR camera round her neck burst through the wooden bead curtain and into his shop. His raven Samedi gave a screech from his perch behind the counter.

"Hiya, do you have any of those cute skull shaped shot glasses?"

Remy stood up from his position leaning on the counter and fixed a stern glare on the young woman. "Chere, dis is de Apothecary. De souvenir shop is down de road a ways."

"Oh," exclaimed the woman, seemingly unconcerned at being in the wrong store as she looked around the shelves at the various gris-gris, necklaces and talismans. Holding up a chicken's foot on a string, she asked "So what is this stuff?"

He let a pregnant pause hang in the air before he slowly paced his way over to her. "You heard o' de voodoo, chere? De black magics, de dark arts?" She nodded hesitantly. "Well dis is my speciality. Ever been 'fflicted wid de hoodoo? I can lift a curse that is on you. I can give you de means of wardin' yourself o' de bad spirits, or bringin' yourself fortune and luck. You got a toot'ache or upset tummy? I can brew you a potion to cure your ills. Or got your eye on a lucky beau? How about a concoction to give him eyes for only you?" With each sentence he drew himself closer to her, as she backed up to a display shelf. "I can scour de entrails of a chicken to see your futures. I can connect you to your loved ones from across de abyss of death itself!" His voice rising, it reached a crecsendo with the mention of death, and the girl slowly shook her head as she backed to the door.

"Ah, very sorry, wrong shop! Um, I think those are my girlfriends calling, better go!" she quickly stammered as she turned and fled back through the bead curtain.

Remy let out a contented 'hmmph' before returning to the counter. The rest of the afternoon passed slowly, with only old Mrs Labiche coming in for her weekly elixir to combat her gout. But then again, even busy afternoons passed slowly, as Remy always counted down the hours before he could finally be himself as Dr Crossbones.

The hall had an eerie glow, with the faint light from the candles at the altar dimly shining through the smoke from the burning sage and wormwood. The small congregation gathered in front of him all bobbed their heads in unison, eyes closed and quietly muttering prayers and chants. He stared down at them through a painted skull visage under a black top hat, shaking his cane as the cat bones tied to it rattled. They were small in number, but they were his followers. It gave him a sense of satisfaction to have people look at him with admiration, to respect him.

For so many years he was in the shadow of his mother, and in the shadow of voodoo itself, her focus on her passion rather than her growing boy. So often he craved her warm embrace, or kind remarks only to be disappointed with an errand for more herbs, or to sit in the back of a hall while she performed yet another ritual. The only way her could bond with her was to show an active interest in black magic, and so she taught him everything. Potions, cures, salves and cure-alls. Talismans, gris-gris, fetishes, voodoo dolls. Seances, clairvoyance, and possession. She believed she had a deep connection with the spirit world, and so did everyone else. Even Remy believed. As a child it was easy to see the dimmed lights, convulsing bodies and gutteral otherworldly voices as utter truth, but even as he grew older and began doubting the supernatural elements, he found himself chanting along with everyone else, wondering if he still truly believed, or if he was just another sucker for his mother's ruses in a desperate bid for affection.

It was only natural that he take over after her passing, a long and drawn out battle with 'a vindictive spirit from the netherworld.' As soon as the doctor had diagnosed her ailments as cancer, she began her usual rant about modern medical conspiracies and turned her back on any assistance or treatment. But that was three years ago now, and 'Dr Crossbones' had inherited her congregation as his own. He worked in the family Apothecary by day, and led rituals at night. At first he thought he was doing something wrong. He heard no spirits or voices. The candles never dimmed. He felt no otherworldly beings enter his body. He could see no future events. Desparate not to lose his mother's followers, it only took some improvised acting and showmanship to keep them interested, then start believing in him as they did his mother. At first he felt terrible for deceiving them, but he loved the attention, the prestige and the renown. It became his drug, as sweet and as toxic as the Jimson weed he smoked to enhance his performances. The more they believed, the more he believed in himself, until the lines blurred between the reality and the facade of Dr Crossbones, Voodoo King. He soon saw them not as friends or aassociates, but as bumpkins and churls, sheep in his flock that he gently tended. The money was easy, they believed in every placebo, fortune told, or dead relative who spoke with them and paid regularly and well for the comfort those lies gave them. He knew it was wrong, but how could he possibly stop?

The blessing and clairvoyance had both gone smoothly, and now it was time for his grand finale, a seance where a spirit was to take possession of his body and speak to the congregation. He ducked behind a black screen and took many long draughts of his Jimson weed pipe, which helped him to open his mind, giving his body contortions and shudders and forced his eyes to roll back into his head while he spoke in a deep and gravelly voice. He often hallucinated, and it was exhausting work, but only added to the realism. He took a few extra draughts of the pipe, keen to impress a new wealthy relative of one of the followers who had come along tonight for the first time. As he stepped back onto the stage he felt his knees buckle, collapsing heavily onto the wooden boards as he felt his body tense and spasm. It was a bizarre and terrifyingly unfamiliar feeling, an out of body sensation as though he could comprehend the movements his body was making, but somehow his mind felt cut off from the whole experience, as though he was floating slightly above his form. Wow, what a show they were getting tonight. As he heard the voices of concerned patrons fade and watched the light of the candles fade to black, he wondered if he had finally found a spirit to inhabit him...
Last edited by Synch on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:35 am

► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:46 am

CORAN PASS

It was a hot and bright afternoon at the height of spring, and the hamlet of Coran Pass was bustling with movement ÔÇô usually the majority of the people who lived there would be working on the cattle farm or on their own properties nearby, but instead, a party was just winding down. Nearly everyone had dressed themselves in their smartest (or at least cleanest) clothes, gathered up some food or drink or other small token to share with their friends and neighbours, and those few travellers lucky enough to have stopped in at the right time, and trooped down to the tavern in the morning. TheyÔÇÖd spent the day at or near the tavern, eating and drinking and socialising in celebration of the Spring Equinox, but many had since had their fill and were starting to look back to their homes and the prospect of the work that still needed to be done before the day was through. The tavernÔÇÖs doors were wide open and some benches had been set up on the roadside for the celebration.

A clap of distant thunder made those people out in the street jump and consider heading back inside for fear of being rained on in while in their best attire, but the sky remained clear and bright ÔÇô however, while the majority of the gathered folks looked upwards for rainclouds, seven of them reacted very differently.

--

Rush, a baker and solitary man, had arrived early laden with sacks and baskets of freshly baked pastries and decorated breads for the celebration, and had stayed as long as any other ÔÇô if a little off to one side for the most part - but had finally had enough and was intending to make his way home. HeÔÇÖd left the baskets behind, but collected payment for his work, and purchased a sack of carrots with some of his earned coin. When the sound of the thunder crack reached him, he tucked his arms (and the sack) up under his poncho and headed for the door of the tavern, but the sudden splitting pain in his head that soon followed made him drop the sack and fall to his knees just inside the doorway.
► Show Spoiler
Abeline, a cowherd, was sat with her feet up inside the tavern, enjoying a large cup of wine and some time out of both the bright daytime sun and a hard saddle. It was her fourth or fifth cup of the day, and judging by the crumbs on her shirt, sheÔÇÖd had a couple of pastries as well ÔÇô but hey, it was a celebration! SheÔÇÖd had a fun few games with the workers and a nice relaxing day, but tomorrow it would be back to work. She looked up in faint interest at the sound of thunder, since it wasnÔÇÖt the season for storms, but she didnÔÇÖt really mind if it was about to rain ÔÇô she didnÔÇÖt have to be out in it today, after all. A second or two later a blinding headache hit her, worse than any hangover, and she curled up in her chair, feet knocking her wine cup over as she drew them up to her chest.
► Show Spoiler
Tuane, a young visitor passing through, was sharing a table with Rickard at the time of the thunderclap. Prior to the noise, heÔÇÖd found himself regaled with stories of the previous yearÔÇÖs Spring Equinox celebration, and the year before that, and the year before that. HeÔÇÖd been asked questions about his own life, and why heÔÇÖd come to Coran Pass, and where he was going ÔÇô but heÔÇÖd managed to dodge them by asking the older man about himself and about the town, or by conveniently having a mouthful of pie or wine when it was his turn to speak. Within a few seconds of the thunder rumbling over them, Tuane had fallen from his seat in agony, just able to see through half-shut eyes that Rickard fell shortly after.
► Show Spoiler
Rickard, a would-be scholar, keeper of stories, and also keeper of bees, had brought some small pots of fresh honeycomb and sieved honey to the celebration, which were eagerly spread upon RushÔÇÖs bread and pastries and shared around by happy, hungry villagers. Seeing a couple of new faces in the tavern, he immediately abandoned the goings-on outside in favour of chatting to the travellers ÔÇô but not wanting to seem crass by approaching the only un-accompanied young woman, he chose the dark-haired young man (Tuane) instead, purchased two cups of wine and sat himself down, wasting no time in introducing himself. When he heard the thunder, Rickard looked around to see whose stomach had rumbled, and when he looked back, Tuane was on the floor. He had stood to help the young man, only to be overtaken by the same crippling pain himself, and fallen down beside him.
► Show Spoiler
Loup, the tavernÔÇÖs stable-hand and kennelmaster, would have found himself with little to do that day even if there was not a celebration underway, as there were no riders or dog-owners staying at the tavern ÔÇô although later he would have gone to attend to his normal duties helping out with the farmÔÇÖs few horses and hounds as usual. He was sat on a bench outside the tavern, enjoying the sunshine, and sharing a steamed bun and some roasted beef with his dog. The thunderclap made Loup start and his dog yelp, and a split second later Loup bent over double with pain, with his head between his knees.
► Show Spoiler
Rafe, a herbalist, had attended the celebration on his way back from a brief trip to forage for resources. He was perched on the edge of the townÔÇÖs well, nursing a cup of weak beer. He was not unhappy to be there, but aside from a few helloÔÇÖs and how-are-youÔÇÖs, he had not been engaged in many conversations, and seemed content enough to watch the celebration going on around him. He flinched when he heard the noise of the thunder, and a split second later keeled over from the pain, ending up curled up at the base of the well.
► Show Spoiler
Bobby, a modestly dressed and quiet woman who had arrived in the village the night before, was keeping mostly to herself, although she had graciously accepted a honeyed bun and some fruit, and chatted happily to some of the other womenfolk earlier on that morning when they had explained the purposes of the celebration to her. The women had since left to attend to their families or see other people, and Bobby had been left to her own devices. She had stepped outside into the street just before the thunder sounded overhead, and looked up just as many of the other villagers had done. Unlike them, she saw a bright golden light spread across the sky, just before a blinding pain caused her to collapse to the ground.
► Show Spoiler
--

Begin! The time is 14:00.

Your merge is complete as per the introduction/rules post, your headache has faded to the point that you can function (though itÔÇÖs probably uncomfortably fresh in your memory), and the villagers will react to your sudden pain AFTER your first actions; those that were nearby are all just sort of standing around in shock, those who have not noticed yet are going about their business. Remember that when you look down at yourself, or look at any other PC, you can see a faint but discernible golden outline.

--
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Re: Potential: Group Two Game Thread

Post by Quarg » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:06 pm

Katia Hoktcluv

Amanda blinked at the floor for a moment. She rolled over and stared up at the cealing...

Horre, Katia Hoktcluv

"What?"

That isn't my voice...what the hell is going on...

"Hello..." The voice sounded both wrong and right at the same time. Like she was hearing someone else talk who she knew intimately but couldn't but a face or name to.

Amanda shifted herself to sitting up and looked around. She remembered the place, but it was odd.

This place seems fuzzy, and partial...like I wound up at Ricks...where the hell is Ricks?

Finally she noticed the odd glow of some of her fellows in the tavern and looked down at herself. She blinked both in recogniztion of the body below her, and the fact that it was impossibly wrong.

Horre, Na secu Hoktcluv, Horre! Horre!

"Does anyone else hear that?" Amanda says loudly as she wobbles up onto her feet and stares around the room.

Opunvka Pome Hvtke, Hoktcluv
Last edited by Quarg on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Timothy/Tuane looks at Rickard. Seeing the same thing seemed to happen to him he inquires, "Did..." he searches for the right word, "THAT happen to you too?"

ooc: Man there is a lot of backstory and RP to read. Meant to read it before the post, but didn't get around to it. Guess I'm only going to read those I'm interacting with for the moment.
► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:38 pm

"Guuhhhh..." Ryush closes his eyes tight, waiting for the pain to subside. He can feel the rough wood of the doorframe beneath his fingers, and the lumpy sack of... carrots. That's right, carrots. He'd bought them for his mule... his mule... ah what was her name? He must have bought them before he went out drinking... wait that's not right, he'd been staying moderate... but that doesn't seem right either...damn headache... better just to hold on to the doorway until it passes.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:53 pm

I opened my eyes and everything felt wrong.

My head was bursting and I was lying on the floor, a young boy leaning over me.
ChuckDaRighteous wrote:"Did..." he searches for the right word, "THAT happen to you too?"
I got up with some difficulty, my limbs not moving as I expected them to. Looking at my surroundings I didn't recognize any of it, but somehow also felt an incredible familiarity.

"I... What just happened?"

((Couldn't remember which colours were still free, went with #BFBF00 for now.))

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Alaen wrote:"I... What just happened?"
"I was hoping you could tell me." Pausing, unsure quite how to phrase it, he blurts out, "Are you still... you? Well, sorta. If you know what I'm asking?"
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:49 pm

"Urgh... What-?" Lance pushes himself into a sitting position, reflexively wincing as he expects pain from broken bones. When it doesn't arrive, he looks about blearily, absently handing the meat to the dog and running one hand across it, "Where... What in the hell is-" Looking back at the dog, and his arms resting on it, he finally notices the glow, "I- Am I-? What's going on? I must be dreaming. I passed out when I fell, and now I'm dreaming... In which case I don't know if I want to wake up right away, and deal with how badly hurt I am."
My game:

My characters:

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:30 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:"I was hoping you could tell me." Pausing, unsure quite how to phrase it, he blurts out, "Are you still... you? Well, sorta. If you know what I'm asking?"
"I feel ... strange. Everything is wrong. My body, my voice, my memories, nothing fits. And I don't recognize anything here, and yet feel like I've lived here my entire life."

Noticing that I started to sound increasingly panicked, I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself. I prided myself on always staying calm, and it wouldn't do to start panicking now.
I took another look around and noticed that both the boy and myself were wreathed in a low golden glow, while the other bystanders looked normal.

"Do you also see this glow? Or am I just hallucinating?"

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:41 pm

"So you see it too. I think the same thing happened to both of us"
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:47 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:"So you see it too. I think the same thing happened to both of us"

"Looks like it. But I don't even know what exactly hapened. One moment I'm at home and then I'm suddenly here with all these strange memories."

I winced as a sudden spike of pain surged through my head.

"Ugh, my head is a mess. Nothing makes sense. Is it the same for you?"
Last edited by Alaen on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 am

Alaen wrote:"Ugh, my head is a mess. Nothing makes sense. Is it the same for you?"
"Yeah, it is. Let's go out and grab some air. Might help clear our heads."

If he agrees, Tim will head outside. Perhaps noticing some of the others along the way.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:18 am

(Like Ryush slumped in the doorway... )
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:28 am

(OOC: As far as I can make out the only ones in the Tavern proper are Ryush, Timothy, Rickard, and Amanda...)

Amanda looked at the two glowing men as they finally stood up and started moving towards the doorway. Everyone else in the room seemed to be staring at them all. Whoever these people were. Amanda turned slightly and also started walking towards the door when she noticed the glowing man fallen down in the doorway. "Who is that?" She asks the two glowing men, who obviously know what the hell is going on.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:47 am

(Yes, those four are inside. To clarify, Bobby is in the street, roughly halfway between Loup (on a bench right by the door, within arm's reach of Ryan in the doorway) and Remy (by the well, which is on the other side of the street, directly opposite the tavern and by the bridge across to the ranch) - anyone in the doorway, like Ryan, or Timothy if he arrives there and/or steps over him, could see all three with a brief look round.)

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:28 pm

ChuckDaRighteous wrote: "Yeah, it is. Let's go out and grab some air. Might help clear our heads."
"Yeah, we should take a look around and see where we are. And maybe there are others like us."

As we made our way outside, I saw a man slumped in the doorway. He was glowing just like us.

"Hey, are you alright?"

Suddenly I heard a voice behind me.
Quarg wrote:"Who is that?"
I turned to face the source of the voice, which turned out to be a middle-aged woman. She was glowing as well.

"I don't know. But it looks like we are in the same situation. You can see the glow as well, can't you?"

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:27 pm

"I don't know. But it looks like we are in the same situation. You can see the glow as well, can't you?"

Amanda opened her mouth...

Baha! Neta!
A scene, for some reason fuzzy of people carrying torches standing around a woman tied up to a post screaming obsenitites at them floods her mind.

She didn't know what was just said or what that was but the message, caution came through.

"I have so much pain at the moment, my vision is sorta blurry...what i need is a cool drink of water."

She steps up to the two men and whispers..."I've got a feeling the locals might think the best solution to glowing people is to just have them burn up quickly and be done with it..."

She then says in a more conversational tone, "Well we can't leave him here...so let's drag him over to the well, maybe some cold water will revive him..."

Amanda bends down to see if she can pull the prone figure across the road and to the well...

Why do I know there is a well across the road?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr