Bot posts

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
Synch
Game Master

Bot posts

Post by Synch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:22 pm

We seem to be getting some of these every few days now. I really don't understand the point of them, why would people use bots to create two insignificant posts in old threads and not advertise anything?

Anyway, perhaps we could put an authentification image on the forum signup. Y'know, enter the characters you see to verify you're human etc.
► Show Spoiler

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Re: Bot posts

Post by SeeAMoose » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Yeah, I just set up Recaptcha, we'll see whether it's any more effective. We didn't have much luck with Captcha in the past, but we'll see.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:57 am

IIRC, Stop Forum Spam is quite effective. There is a mod for phpBB.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 am

Yeah, we've been noticing it ourselves and working on things that might prevent them from happening. There's only so much we can do though, since the perpetrators are likely hiding behind a proxy. Luckily things aren't too bad, though obviously if they were we'd resort to stronger methods.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:36 am

From my point of view this forum is close to spam-free.
Far from being annoying.

Another forum-community I participate in has more spam posts than actual posts. (It's not a very active community)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:41 am

Yeah, we know - I myself think it's far from "bad" myself, but doesn't mean we shouldn't try and stop it before it even starts, to not end up in the same situation. In general though, spam is gone pretty quickly as it's swiftly deleted upon being posted. The thing that puzzles me most is that how most of these spam posts don't actually seem to contain any links.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:04 am

I think they're just hoping to slip them through and then edit in the spam later. We'll see what my latest action does to affect the incoming spam.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com