User Groups? Poll (Please explain your choice)

All announcements will be posted here. This is where you should go to report problems and make suggestions.

Poll: Should user groups made at the request of a member of the forum be allowed?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Yes
31%
No
26%
I don't care one way or the other.
44%

Total votes: 78

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: User Groups? Poll (Please explain your choice)

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 am

Mnem, GameMasters don't actually have any Mod abilities (as far as I'm aware, anyway). I'm pretty sure they do get bigger PM boxes, like you said, however I don't think they can do anything like creating sub-forums or moving/editing/deleting posts.

I agree with everything else you said, though. Any Groups that do get created will be purely social, with no added perks.

Plus, something I just thought of - having a Group for outside-the-forum gaming could be incredibly convenient. Mort sort of started something like that in the old forum, just before the crash, and if it was to be continued here, being able to collect everyone who's interested into one Group and PM Skype/Steam ID's to everyone in it would probably be very useful.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 am

Dusk9 wrote: Plus, something I just thought of - having a Group for outside-the-forum gaming could be incredibly convenient. Mort sort of started something like that in the old forum, just before the crash, and if it was to be continued here, being able to collect everyone who's interested into one Group and PM Skype/Steam ID's to everyone in it would probably be very useful.
Right. I'll probably restart that... :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:25 am

Sounds good. In case it wasn't clear, I have no problem with groups per se, I just don't want to see thousands of them appear out of nowhere to fill the place with spam just because someone suggested it.

I would still like my Games Master title back though...

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 am

Dusk9 wrote:Mnem, GameMasters don't actually have any Mod abilities (as far as I'm aware, anyway). I'm pretty sure they do get bigger PM boxes, like you said, however I don't think they can do anything like creating sub-forums or moving/editing/deleting posts.

I agree with everything else you said, though. Any Groups that do get created will be purely social, with no added perks.

Plus, something I just thought of - having a Group for outside-the-forum gaming could be incredibly convenient. Mort sort of started something like that in the old forum, just before the crash, and if it was to be continued here, being able to collect everyone who's interested into one Group and PM Skype/Steam ID's to everyone in it would probably be very useful.
Sorry; I was under the impression you also took on Mod responsibilities therein. Of course, you could... we'd just have to add you to the Special Moderators Group as well. ;) I personally have no problem with the additional perks of Group Messaging or Custom Badging... I mean, your Avatar IS a Custom Badge; if you want to, you can modify it to include whatever other Custom Badge you may like. The benefit for a Group having one is that the badge becomes uniform so there's no butthurt over whose Badge is coolest, and those with poor Graphics-Fu aren't excluded from having the Badge.

Now you see the administrative value of Groups as a mechanism of applying Site Policy. I said it wasn't a difficult concept to grasp... as long as one WANTS to. :P

mnem
Group hug!

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am

Can't you select it yourself, thinks?

Also, I already have those permissions, Mnem. Cause I'm a GameMaster and Controversy! Mod ;)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 am

I switched my vote to yes as well. I voted no at first, but Mnem made me realize this is basically none different then the game master ranks I myself pushed for since I thought it would be cool. It would be extremely hypocritical of me to now deny it to someone else who thinks the same.

The one tiny difference I suppose is that the game masters did something to "earn" the title, but I think that as long as we keep some strict rules as suggested this would work just fine. :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 am

Dusk9 wrote:Can't you select it yourself, thinks?
Nah, you need to apply to be in the group and have it approved. It's the same as it was in the BF forum, and stops everyone getting bigger inboxes etc. without using them for anything. Not that it's a problem for me at the moment, I just miss the title is all!

EvilCoatrack
Game Master
UStream Username: EvilCoatrack

Post by EvilCoatrack » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:00 pm

I don't really get the appeal of usergroups, so I don't have an opinion on the matter.

Then again I'm also pretty much a cranky hermit who's not too involved in the forums that much anyway these days.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:37 pm

EvilCoatrack wrote:I don't really get the appeal of usergroups, so I don't have an opinion on the matter.

Then again I'm also pretty much a cranky hermit who's not too involved in the forums that much anyway these days.
DotSC plx.

EDIT: Also, Welcome back, we missed you.
---

I voted on no, because I deem user groups mostly unneccessary. However, if there is a group of people - let's say 30 or more - who really wants a group made and it does stay within the bounds of rules the Mighty Moose draws for them, then so be it.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Ledbetter
Remains Silent

Post by Ledbetter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Howdy, as per the request I'll explain my choice of "I don't care either way". Basically if groups are instantiated, all's well and good for group members, as long as the forum itself doesn't suffer from the need to individually manage each group. Is there any way to set up a system where group leads were created and then add their own members? Or would that get out of hand too quickly?

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 pm

I seem to have had the wrong idea of these groups and recant my original opinion. Thank you for the clarity, Mnem.

Ramsa

Post by Ramsa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 pm

I oppose Groups for much of the same reasons that RocketScientist does
There are good days and there are bad days, and this is one of them.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 am

Now that it's been explained... I've voted Yes. It seems like it might be useful now and again. As described, it doesn't sound like it'll turn out to be too much workload. If it does, Moose can just say so and stop doing it.

And if it turns out to have adverse social effects (though I don't expect it to), he should say that, and unmake any groups that are actually causing a problem.
► Show Spoiler

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:43 am

Sessine wrote:And if it turns out to have adverse social effects (though I don't expect it to), he should say that, and unmake any groups that are actually causing a problem.
That is easier said than done, if groups become a problem in the way I think they potentially could it won't be because of one group, it will be because there are groups at all. If they cause problems I would have to get rid of most of the groups we end up adding, and it is much harder to grant a privilege than it is to take it away.

Thinking about things further, I have decided I generally will not create titles for user groups going forward. All of the custom titles in place now are to recognize some contribution to the forum, or some achievement (the results of the fan art contest will group soon and there will be a user title or group for the victor). I may make rare exceptions, but by and lar,ge groups will be for fun and offer primarily the ability to contact the group as a whole. If groups want to demonstrate that their cohesion or if people just want to show that they are a part of a group they can take after Dragon Club and use their avatar or signature. If you do not like the post count titles there is a group that removes your user title entirely.

I will continue to follow the responses here and consider them as I make my decision. Thank you all for your input.

Best,
Moose

P.S. thanks to everyone who sent me a message wishing me a Happy Birthday you guys are awesome!
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 pm

I don't think groups must be used for self-expression and such, but as yet I don't really care.

Groo_the_Wanderer
Mutters to Themself

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 pm

I think that groups are best left to the Site Admin / Thunt to determine.

It is your site and whether you will it or not groups will divide the forum to some degree, perhaps small or perhaps large but likely in the middle. There is no real way around that because not everyone will be able to participate in the group discussions. Unless of course user groups don't have any restricted access forums in which case it's more whimsy in goofy titles than anything.

I voted No mainly because the normal use of groups really isn't anything a site admin should want users in charge of. Being a site admin on a couple of forums myself I just see more risk than reward in allowing users to create groups.

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm ambivalent, but then, I don't see the attraction to a special title unless it is in recognition to an achievement - for example running a game, or being a mod - I think groups for titles as a concept is wrong. And really, I can't see any other reason to want sub groups on the forums. They don't offer anything extra then a 'title.' If you want to be special so badly, go see your mum. You'll always be special in her eyes.
"Winter is coming"

Corpsificus
Speaks Quietly
UStream Username: Corpsificus

Post by Corpsificus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:03 pm

A run on sentence would be more successful in explaining why I approve of user groups, but take a lot of work to accomplish because the importance of proper composition of sentence structure to avoid incorrect looking ramblings that people won't care to read in any stretch of the imagination. Sub groups in the forum will add diversity and flavor to the community where ideas can flourish and we make the world a brighter place. We can work with other groups, but various interests of different forum members may be represented by these groups. I would be in favor of a musician group, personally, but no need to get ahead of ourselves.
Misery enjoys company.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:44 am

Since there aren't to be any exclusive groups, then it doesn't bother me if there are groups. I don't have anything I would necessarily want a group for, so I voted in the "meh" category. That's not saying I wouldn't join one if a particularly cool one was offered.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:53 am

Groups could be something like :
"The Mustache Group", only requirement is to have a 'stache on your avatar.
"The Survival Group" , requirement: having been a member of a previous Goblin's forum
"Dragon Club", requirement: being extremely awesome, knowing or being a dragon (see Mnem for details)
"East Coast Goblinites" requirement: Live on the East Coast of US
"Belgium Goblinite" requirement: Live in Belgium and like Goblins
etc

Instead of Custom Titles, I would advocate the groups use a custom badge to be placed in their respective signatures.. say something that is no more than 50 pixels tall and not too wide? (either square or rectangular and unobtrusive)

The groups would have the ability to easily PM other members of the group, either for group related things.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 am

About PM... Is the limit of 75 messages constant or changes according to something?

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Wolfie wrote:Groups could be something like :
"The Mustache Group", only requirement is to have a 'stache on your avatar.
"The Survival Group" , requirement: having been a member of a previous Goblin's forum
"Dragon Club", requirement: being extremely awesome, knowing or being a dragon (see Mnem for details)
"East Coast Goblinites" requirement: Live on the East Coast of US
"Belgium Goblinite" requirement: Live in Belgium and like Goblins
etc

Instead of Custom Titles, I would advocate the groups use a custom badge to be placed in their respective signatures.. say something that is no more than 50 pixels tall and not too wide? (either square or rectangular and unobtrusive)

The groups would have the ability to easily PM other members of the group, either for group related things.
All these sound like good ideas to me.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:55 pm

It could be cool if a person could be a member of multliple groups at once, such as mustacioed dragons, and have 2 little badges for their sig. Badges could come from group members so as to not add an extra burden to mods.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:07 pm

You can be a member of multiple groups.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com