Boards and Comic FAQ

Discuss the comic here!
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Boards and Comic FAQ

Post by WearsHats » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:35 am

Before the previous board fell into an oblivion hole, we had a thread called "Popular Theories & Common Knowledge." It started off as a collection of links and general answers for newbies. It was started by Alavar, but I took what he had and what a few others added and reshaped it into an FAQ. Some of that stuff is no longer relevant, but much of it still seems useful. After much poking around, I managed to find a cached copy, so I'm bringing it back and updating it. Suggestions and additional information are more than welcome.

(Note: Spoiler tags won't allow certain punctuation, like question marks. I think it looks neater this way, so I'm going to try to work within those limits.)

1. What are those colored lights which appear when characters use magic?
► Show Spoiler
2. Why do goblin eyes sometimes turn black?
► Show Spoiler
3. I have a theory...
► Show Spoiler
4. Why X is happening now? Is it commentary on current events? Also, I've got a neat idea for a future comic...
► Show Spoiler
5. What are the characters' stats?
► Show Spoiler
6. Why is the comic update late again?
► Show Spoiler
7. What are some other cool threads to check out here on the forum?
► Show Spoiler
8. What's the deal with the livestreams?
► Show Spoiler
9. How to search the forums.
► Show Spoiler
10. Other helpful links
► Show Spoiler
11. Commonly used acronyms and terms
► Show Spoiler
12. Other things to know before posting
► Show Spoiler
13. I am having trouble making a new topic
► Show Spoiler
14. The forum says I have been banned and I do not know why, or I cannot access the forum from certain devices.
► Show Spoiler
Any other questions? Anything you think should be added? Ask/suggest away!
Last edited by WearsHats on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:57 am, edited 10 times in total.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Re: Boards and Comic FAQ

Post by SccrD25 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 am

I'm guessing the Shield of Wonder Effects pages are now set aside for the hard copy books?

This was one of my favorite bits of info shared in the old forum. Highly suggest DMs using it once in their games, especially if you have players that read Goblins. The looks of horror when you start going "CRICK CRICK CRICK" are priceless.
► Show Spoiler
(Is this also hard copy material? If so I will take it down)
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 am

That's what I get for being too lazy to do it myself :P
Good work, Wears.

I have only one issue - I think that there should only be links for theory threads, no explanations why we need them

AND I have some links saved (to Axe of Prissan timeline and unofficial comic timeline for example). I will link/upload them when I get to my old PC. Also I saved "Character Stats" thread if Alres want's to make it again.
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:20 am

Alavar wrote:That's what I get for being too lazy to do it myself :P
Good work, Wears.

I have only one issue - I think that there should only be links for theory threads, no explanations why we need them

AND I have some links saved (to Axe of Prissan timeline and unofficial comic timeline for example). I will link/upload them when I get to my old PC. Also I saved "Character Stats" thread if Alres want's to make it again.
Those would be awesome Alavar! :)
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:28 am

What theory threads do we have so far? I'll add links. I took out the links that were in the original version because they went to threads which no longer exist (being on the old boards). Seemed like we were getting a fresh start. But I do still think an explanation would be helpful. Boards regulars can be very touchy about new threads covering old ground, and newbies won't necessarily understand that.

And yeah, those links would be awesome. :)

Thunt did say that he felt forum members should be entitled to little perks and extras, like being able to find/see those pages.

I should also remember to add in instructions for creating a thread to discuss the latest page: Start the title with the date (does format matter?) then add something central to the theme of the page but non-spoilery, link to the page's permanent address within the body of the post. Am I forgetting anything?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:37 am

WearsHats wrote:I should also remember to add in instructions for creating a thread to discuss the latest page: Start the title with the date (does format matter?) then add something central to the theme of the page but non-spoilery, link to the page's permanent address within the body of the post. Am I forgetting anything?
That part is actually in the Rules Thread that Moose has in the Announcements section of this part of the Forum. :)
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 am

Yeah, just noticed. Except that it doesn't mention linking the page in the first post. But I'll link the forum rules when I next edit the FAQ. Really tired and bleary right now, and I may be spending the day AFK again, but I'll get to it tomorrow if not sooner.

► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 am

WearsHats wrote:Yeah, just noticed. Except that it doesn't mention linking the page in the first post. But I'll link the forum rules when I next edit the FAQ. Really tired and bleary right now, and I may be spending the day AFK again, but I'll get to it tomorrow if not sooner.
Ok. I'm going to work on either the Controversy FAQ or the Gaming FAQ today or this weekend. I'll have free time at work on Sunday.

Get some sleep Wears. :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Post has been updated. Let me know what you think. Anything I did wrong? Forgot? Left out? Let me know.

(Or, if you happen to be an admin, global moderator, or forum moderator, do feel free to edit the post directly in order to improve it and keep it up to date.)

► Show Spoiler

Lookatroopa
Remains Silent

Post by Lookatroopa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:14 am

The link to the Realm Map doesn't work. I think that you need the direct link to the image itself. It's here.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 am

Thank you. Fixed now. :)

► Show Spoiler

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 am

How's about a list of common Goblins acronyms? You know, like FMK for Forgath/MinMax/Kin group, and so on.

And maybe include a secondary list, just for convenience, with some of the common internet acronyms, too? (like tl;dr and such) One I'd like to see in such a secondary list: ETA. I see that used a lot, but has its meaning changed from what I grew up with (Estimated Time of Arrival??) -- I think a lot of times people use it where they really meant to use ETOH. :) But if it has changed -- well, then there's one I need to see in the list... :lol:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 am

I'll add in some acronyms. To answer your question, ETA in the context of a boards or blog post means "Edited To Add." The part that comes after it (sometimes the entire rest of the post, sometimes not - hopefully context makes it clear) was not in the original post but was edited in later.

I haven't encountered ETOH. Google and wiki say it's an abbreviation for ethanol. Is there another version I'm not finding out did you mean OTOH (On The Other Hand)?

► Show Spoiler

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:08 am

Gah, yea, I cannot type today -- the "other hand" thingy is what I meant. :oops: ETA - that's a new one for me then (so you should add it). I've just seen people use (and used myself) plain old "edit:" followed by the change.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:13 am

stevedj wrote:And maybe include a secondary list, just for convenience, with some of the common internet acronyms, too?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

96harothfee
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by 96harothfee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Question about the comic- I'm not a longtime player of RPGs but is there a ton of references to things ingame I should know about? like, to lore out side of the comic or whatever? I'm sorry for silly question but I wanted to know if there was something I should read first before I read the comic from start to finish.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:42 pm

I have never played DnD, or any game like that, but the comic is still enjoyable. There are some jokes and things that might be hard to get, not much that will get in the way of enjoying the comic. The only thing that might count as lore would be the fiend folio, and that's only mentioned once. There are a few inside jokes for people that know a lot about DnD, but not a lot. I hope that helps.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:24 am

Maybe change "But there's nothing to stop us from guessing" line into link for Arles "character stats" thread?
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Right. Thank you. I thought of that, thought I'd already done it, and never actually checked whether I'd done it here or just the version on the old boards. Oops. I'll fix it tonight, when I'm at a real computer.

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 pm

I edited in the link. For some reason, it doesn't show up as a link unless I hover my mouse over the words. Getting the same deal with a couple of the other inline links. No idea why. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 am

It's because of spoiler. It happens to the last line of every spoiler. you can see it in spoiler 10, for example.

axe11154
Mutters to Themself

Post by axe11154 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 am

Are psions over powered?
After seeing minmax as a Psion I gotta ask
are they over powered?
I don't play the game so I don't know.
from what ive seen in the comic they seem very off putting its its weird he is the first weve seen.
My last question is have we seen a Psion before in the comic or was he the first?
I am a goblin, Just a little fat is all.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 pm

You can read up on how psionic powers work over at d20srd. The short answer is that Psimax is very high level. Yes, psions can do some very weird things, but high level spellcasters (wizards, clerics, etc.) can, too. What happened is that he destroyed his counter. So he was able to go through the dungeon crawl hundreds of times, earning lots of XP. That's why he's overpowered.

And thanks, gamecreator. I'll play around with the formatting later tonight.

► Show Spoiler

axe11154
Mutters to Themself

Post by axe11154 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 pm

wait?
yur telling me by destroying the counter you get all the exp fro your past lives... sorta amazing hes the only one to do it?
I am a goblin, Just a little fat is all.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:33 pm

No, you just don't lose xp after next resets. Psimax, probably, is only one who was able to destroy it and was not opposed to messing with the Maze's mechanics.