Computer Issue - lingrem is incompetant

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
lingrem
Former Mod

Computer Issue - lingrem is incompetant

Post by lingrem » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:02 am

Ok. So... I don't really have anyone to ask and I know you guys are a clever bunch.

Also, despite being a mod, I wasn't sure where to put this! I plan to delete the thread when/if you guys help me find a solution!

So you know when you hover over something with your mouse? And it brings up a little box that has a description? (eg. hover over one of the smilies and it will bring up a little box that tells you what the smilie is?)

Well. When I do that, it flashes so quickly that I can't read what it's saying. This has been causing me progressively more annoying inconveniences.

I don't really even know what the feature is called, so trying to google it has came up COMPLETELY useless.

Does anyone know at least what it is called, or even better know how on earth to fix it?

I use Firefox. It's only happening in Firefox and seems to work fine in Explorer.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Computer Issue - mouse hover??

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:15 am

"Tooltips"

You could try: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/917718
or similar bugs there.

PaintsTurtles
Former Mod

Post by PaintsTurtles » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 am

In the meantime, you can right click the image and choose "Inspect Element" or "View Image Info". Look for the "title=" part in Inspect Element, and "Associated Text:" in View Image Info. One of those two might be due to an add-on I have, since I remember Firefox removed that functionality at one point, but if they're "vanilla" firefox, either should work to allow you to read the text.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:41 am

You remember it wrong, both functions are present in Firefox, though Veiw Image Info is better suited for the task.

Also I had a problem with tooltips very long ago, but it vanished at some point (I might have updated the browser or removed some addon).

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Does it seem like the cursor is vibrating slightly even when you're not touching the mouse? That text goes away when the mouse moves. I had a similar issue once upon a time and I just needed to get a new mouse, but it might not be the same case for you - it's hard to say. You can try adjusting your mouse settings to turn down the sensitivity and see if that helps at all.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm on a laptop without a mouse... so.... yeah. As I said, it works totally fine in IE and just not at all in Firefox!

I only discovered it worked in IE today when I was making the post. So at least I can use that for some things when I reallllly need/want to see it!

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:29 pm

If updating Firefox and disabling addons didn't help, try to reinstall Firefox. Of course, before doing so save your user profile from "%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles".

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:01 pm

So disabling hardware acceleration didn't work or it wasn't on in the first place?

lingrem
Former Mod

Re: Computer Issue - lingrem is incompetant

Post by lingrem » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:11 am

Ok. Every time I hit "enter" on my keyboard... this stupid thing pops up. I do not know how the hell to fix it, but I am suspecting that my cat is to blame. Why can't I figure out these damn things?!?! I am seriously annoyed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:16 am

Try this:

from this site
Change the keyboard settings in ÔÇ£Ease of AccessÔÇØ. Below are the steps:

Click on 'Start' and click on 'Control Panel'.
Click on 'Ease of Access Center'.
Click on 'Make the keyboard easier to use'.
Uncheck all the boxes and click on 'Apply' to save the changes and check if the issue is fixed.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:17 am

Woflie you're awesome and very quick - I was just replying to my other complaint in Today I....

After posting about what a dolt I am, I was then finally able to figure out the RIGHT thing to google to find an answer. I hit the windows button and X at the same time, and then closed off the thing that popped up. NO idea how that got set up, but yay, it's done! Stupid cat.

Farmerbob
Remains Silent

Post by Farmerbob » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:43 pm

lingrem wrote:Woflie you're awesome and very quick - I was just replying to my other complaint in Today I....

After posting about what a dolt I am, I was then finally able to figure out the RIGHT thing to google to find an answer. I hit the windows button and X at the same time, and then closed off the thing that popped up. NO idea how that got set up, but yay, it's done! Stupid cat.
I would like to point out that from the cat's point of view, it put about three seconds of work into walking in just the right way across your keyboard.

Then your cat got to watch you suffer and be stressed out for how long?

I'd say your cat is rather clever to create such a large amount of amusement for itself with so little effort.

*grin*

kaeroku
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kaeroku » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Another possibility is to switch browsers.

Chrome is awesome and pretty much does all the things I liked about Firefox back in the day, but better. I'm not trying to start a browser war, I was once a Firefox diehard (back when it was the only real alternative to IE) and it took a long time and a lot of coaxing - mostly due to issues I experienced with Firefox myself - to get me to switch. That said, Chrome updates and patches issues before I ever experience them.

I'm only mentioning this because I understand browser preference and loyalty, and I figured it might be useful being able to offer you the perspective of someone who has switched.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:40 pm

I just found out today when my antivirus tricked me into installing Chrome that it actually runs on my machine. All the other times I've installed it, all I got was a white page that didn't load anything. Maybe I'll use it, maybe I won't. But it sits there now on my taskbar next to FF, Opera, and Safari. Oh, yeah, and IE.