Started my own comic

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
morikahn
The Former Colorist

Started my own comic

Post by morikahn » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:11 pm

http://www.relictcomic.com

Some of you may remember me. I was the colorist for goblins for about 9 months until I moved on. I've started my own project with a friend at the link above. We started it last week and will update it a couple pages every Sunday. We've got 16 pages done and in the bag, so we should be able to maintain our schedule easily for a while.

The comic is nothing like Goblins.

Its about some kobolds that go on an adventure to overcome racial prejudice against their kind. Come join the wacky adventures of Disagrees with Titles, Big Nose, Critical Success and many others.

:)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Started my own comic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:53 pm

So I've just read what you have, and it is awesome. I can see your art in the colors and shading. I can't wait to see where the story goes. :D
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:48 pm

morikahn wrote:The comic is nothing like Goblins.

Its about some kobolds that go on an adventure to overcome racial prejudice against their kind. Come join the wacky adventures of Disagrees with Titles, Big Nose, Critical Success and many others.

:)
Funny man. Folks, the above is a lie, and I'm glad.

The comic does look dark though. Kore level of dark, or maybe the Axe releasing the demon level of dark. All that in 5 pages. Yeah, that is a hook, but... an exhausting one to me.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Looks nice!

If you accept some early criticism:
A "First" and "Last" button would be helpful (next to the "back" and "next"), or at least more obviously laid out if there is any on the site, since the menu kind of fades into the background.

Yes, I'm aware that I get to the first page by clicking on the Chapters: Prelude link, but it's not the same. :)
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Yah, I'm going to work on the webpage to make it a little clearer. I think I'll add a page number to the layout so its easy for people to know where they are.

Tempo changes page 6 :)

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:41 am

It's really interesting morikahn! I'm looking forward to following it. Like Looks said though - it'd be nice to have a "last" tab so that we can get to the newest page :)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Originally I had it default to the most current updated. The first release was pages 1 through 3. Last Sunday I put up pages 4 and 5. The webpage would default to page 4. But that confused people into thinking that was the first page so I'm havin it default to page 1 for now, as I'm assuming most readers will be new to the comic.

Im going to end up adding some php to create page numbers above the page, include a First ,and Last button, and current update button, and then put some sort of graphic that says "Updated Sundays" to let people know when to come back.

I got a little obsessed with the websites look, more than its function :)

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:47 pm

Well, the background on the website IS quite spectacular. :)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:23 am

BAD PUN WARNING AHEAD!

If you happen to abandon your comic, it can be renamed to deRelict.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:39 pm

im sorry, but when you say that looks, all i can think is

"well you can derelict my balls".

Pretty much the only line in the movie that i could appreciate, and in no way representive of the awesomeness that is this comic.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 am

So... what er you up to now that the comic is down?
-Best regards LAYF

Hobgoblin
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Hobgoblin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:08 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:So... what er you up to now that the comic is down?
Maybe is an April's Fool a few days early to not raise suspicions?
(my little webcomic)

Download the FREE teaser for A Clockwork Paranoia HERE

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 am

Hobgoblin wrote:
13-15 days early? I'm afraid not.... :(
-Best regards LAYF

Hobgoblin
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Hobgoblin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:17 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
Hobgoblin wrote:
13-15 days early? I'm afraid not.... :(
Oh, I read the first comment up and was 3 days old, my bad. That's a shame, it was pretty interesting and the colouring was great.
► Show Spoiler
(my little webcomic)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:35 am

yea... it's sad.. I was enjoying it... but if it goes to print I'm sure I'll buy it... if nothing else for the support... maybe it can come back later? I hope...
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

Hobgoblin
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Hobgoblin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:44 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:yea... it's sad.. I was enjoying it... but if it goes to print I'm sure I'll buy it... if nothing else for the support... maybe it can come back later? I hope...
► Show Spoiler
You also have to consider that maybe there are more problems than they let us know. With a greater responsibility there can be also friction between people or other jobs got in the way and they didn't want to do it in another manner. Don't know, but I hope it continues, sporadically would be good too.
► Show Spoiler
(my little webcomic)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:19 am

Hobgoblin wrote: You also have to consider that maybe there are more problems than they let us know. With a greater responsibility there can be also friction between people or other jobs got in the way and they didn't want to do it in another manner. Don't know, but I hope it continues, sporadically would be good too.
► Show Spoiler
Sure, but I'm not reacting to things that may or may not be... I know, there can be lot's of reasons... just don't want to dwell into that... if they don't tell us, I take it they want it to be private...
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

Hobgoblin
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Hobgoblin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:25 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
Hobgoblin wrote: You also have to consider that maybe there are more problems than they let us know. With a greater responsibility there can be also friction between people or other jobs got in the way and they didn't want to do it in another manner. Don't know, but I hope it continues, sporadically would be good too.
► Show Spoiler
Sure, but I'm not reacting to things that may or may not be... I know, there can be lot's of reasons... just don't want to dwell into that... if they don't tell us, I take it they want it to be private...
► Show Spoiler
Yeah, I wasn't trying to guess if there are more reasons, just saying that if they don't return, they may have more obstacles than they told us (and it's fine not knowing, not our business anyway). :) But I think maybe there's still hope or they would have taken down the site.
► Show Spoiler
(my little webcomic)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Aww, my derelict pun now feels appropriate. :( Morikahn, would you mind chatting about the reasons a bit? The decision feels a bit... rushed, to say the least, but of course we don't know much. I'm curious, though. The story seems intriguing and the art is superb. I was checking it weekly while it lasted.

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Yeah, I think its safe to respond here about the issues with the comic. Lazarus is a very old friend of mine so I didn't want to post about any internal problems we were having on the main site.

An online comic is in essence a volunteer project and everyone needs to be working towards the same goal. Laz and I made agreements to what those goals were and how we would work together. In the end it turned out he didn't really want to honor those agreements. I don't know if it was an issue of respect or vision or something else, but as a team it wasn't panning out. I was constantly being forced to make compromises to the point it was hurting the story.

I was coloring, writing the story, doing the story boards, and coding the website. It was a lot of work to put into the comic and it was very demotivating to find my partner drastically changing panels, skipping important details, or simply not drawing necessary elements in a panel. I tried several different ideas to work with him and they all failed.

The chase scene between Bardre and the earth elemental was the last attempt. I gave him complete control over those series of pages with the barest of scripts. He gave up by page three.

So, it didn't work out. Thats life.

I developed a new coloring style. I learned some valuable lesson in web coding. I got some experience in layout of pages. Most importantly I received a lot of positive feed back from readers that they liked the story.

My current goal now is to just work on my line art and do my own online comics in the future.

I did offer to color Thunts comic pages for a little bit, as it looks like he's having some problems and could use some help, but he never responded. And so it goes.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Ah, I see. Well, I'm pretty sure whatever you start later will be great, assuming all the "circumstances" favor you. Don't forget to post here your next attempt! :)

morikahn
The Former Colorist

Post by morikahn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Thank you :)

Hobgoblin
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Hobgoblin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:58 am

Morikahn, you're a very talented colourist, I hope you become someone in the comics industry. Please keep us posted with your most recent work. :)
(my little webcomic)

Benjarrus
Remains Silent

Post by Benjarrus » Sat May 03, 2014 9:26 am

Perhaps it could be continued with someone else more willing to be a partner to you, I hope that you add your vision to a community that is full of talented and imaginative folk.