Monthly Fic Contest: Going Once, Going Twice...

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Monthly Fic Contest: January winners! Feb/March prompt!

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:22 pm

I don't have any submissions yet.

One week to go!
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:49 pm

WearsHats wrote:I don't have any submissions yet.

One week to go!
You lost mine? Hmn...better resend it I guess....
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: Monthly Fic Contest: Feb/March prompt! One week to go!

Post by Liesmith » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:03 pm

I am trying like a gosh darn (pardon my swearing) to write it, but I have to fly cross-country tomorrow morning, then I'm going to be working long hours all week, and flying back on the 15th, so I may be a bit borked on this one.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:48 pm

RedwoodElf wrote:
WearsHats wrote:I don't have any submissions yet.

One week to go!
You lost mine? Hmn...better resend it I guess....

Oops. My inbox has been kind of flooded in the last few weeks. Good thing you mentioned. I have it. Very sorry about that.

But yours is the only one I have.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:44 am

Whew, ok, I've made a lot of progress when I should be sleeping, so I should have something ready to go before the cutoff date.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:51 am

Dammit, I've been working on a story all week, but I can't send it because ATL doesn't have free wi-fi, and my company phone doesn't allow tethering. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuu
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:39 am

When will you have a chance to send it?

► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Liesmith » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:46 am

Hopefully when I land at LAX in a few hours...if not then, then later tonight.
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:59 am

Later tonight is fine. If you can survive LAX, you deserve a break.

► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Monthly Fic Contest: Feb/March prompt! Last Day!

Post by Liesmith » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Ok, sent. LAX has free wifi and free charging stations. They're the airport Gotham needs.

I'm really unhappy with how this one turned out; I had to write in hour-long blocks after 12+hour shifts during a hub build (why do my build's always coincide with the fic contests? WITCHCRAFT), so I'm sure it's rife with inconsistencies. I wanted to keep working on it, but if I didn't submit it now, it would be locked in editing purgatory for eternity. I apologize to everyone who reads it.
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Monthly Fic Contest: Feb/March prompt! Last Day!

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Stories and voting thread have been posted to the Writer's Corner. Please go read and vote.

Once again, we only have two entries, one of them submitted at the last minute. Open to ideas on how to get more participation.

Please also vote on which prompt to use next.

Here's a list of suggested prompts that we haven't used yet. Pick your favorite(s), and don't be afraid to add new ideas.

Superheroes
Under The Sea
Pulp
Steampunk
Modern-Day Urban Fantasy
A "Friends" style spin-off
Winter Holiday
TV show adaptation

History Book: Write what future historians of Thuntworld would write in the history books about some or all of the events in Goblins.

How We Got Here: Write a backstory of one of the characters, of some event that we know happened, but hasn't been shown "on screen" (For example, "How Klik got in the cage" or "Biscuit's run through the dungeon crawl we found him in") - Try to stick to one that's unlikely to be a major plot point, like "How Kore got cursed" for example.

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Monthly Fic Contest: March stories posted! Voting closes

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:14 am

Voting for the latest contest is closed. The winner, once again, is Liesmith! Congratulations!

... Now, I'm still a mess, health-wise. And participation continues to be low, both from authors and readers. Is there interest in continuing this contest? And does anyone want to take over? It's not that hard, but it does go better if you're feeling well enough to do the basics.

► Show Spoiler

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Monthly Fic Contest: March winner! Anyone for another ro

Post by Liesmith » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:10 pm

I expected to be met with a chorus of "tl;dr" for this one. I don't know if I'll be able to join in subsequent contests, as much as I love writing. I'm going to be (hopefully) finally starting college soon, and I don't expect to have much time between classes and a full time job.
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Monthly Fic Contest: Going Once, Going Twice...

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:11 am

Only two stories in each of the last two contests. Few readers, only a handful of votes. No discussion of the next prompt.

Should I keep it going, or wrap it up?

Anyone want to take over?

► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:34 am

Does it have to be Goblins -themed?

Maybe once the comic starts up again, more traffic may return to the forum?
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:53 am

Hmm. It's always been a fanfic contest. I suppose we could expand it to general stories if people wanted. But the going has been slow for a long time, even before the break.

► Show Spoiler

Just Karen
Gives Speeches

Post by Just Karen » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:42 pm

I dunno, but I might throw in an entry now and then. I'm interested, but so far time has been a factor.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 am

My intention was to write for all of them, but then life happened and I haven't had any spare time for anything. Perhaps Just a general fan fic contest, where people turn them in and when it hits 5 or more entries, then run the contest. It would probably be more than a month between contests. Or just do a summer one, as more people will be available then.

Just my 2 cents.