The Great Goblin Invasion (Polls finished!)

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
lingrem
Former Mod

Re: The Great Goblin Invasion (DATES POLL. VOTE!)

Post by lingrem » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:20 am

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Do any of the more local peeps have any of their dates somewhat sorted? I think (keep in mind, I've got less than a month to go before I'm heading right on out of Canada) it's about time to at least roughly sort out who's wanting to do what, seeing as everyone has different arrival dates!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:23 am

Ok peeps! I posted up a poll. Please fill it out and then post details here (like.. if you want to go to Portobello antique market but not Camden, or if you want to go to the Natural History museum but not the War one). Also maybe restate your arrival and departure dates?

I want to try and make a spreadsheet so that we can make sure no one misses out on things!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: The Great Goblin Invasion (SITES POLL! VOTE!)

Post by nikohl » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:55 am

As a local peep: My dates are entirely flexible, although at the minute I have a temp job that might last til then - I work 9-12 every day except the weekend. So I am highly likely to be only available at the weekends unless people suddenly end up more local to me than London.

What I would really like to happen, since I'm disorganised and crappy, is for someone to basically tell me where to turn up and when. Is that possible? :lol:

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:57 am

Sure thing nikohl :P As a local I know you can easily do the things you'd like to see in London when you want to. Just want to organize what we can do when to try and accommodate as many non-UKers as possible to make the trip the best deal for them! :)

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm starting rehearsals for the tour on the 10th, any time in August before that I'm good, but between the 5th and 10th would be the ideal :) I'm a really big fan of the Natural History museum (Zoology student ;) ) but the British Museum and Science Museum are both great. I have and always will avoid going back to the Imperial War Museum, as I have an intense phobia of mannequins :dies: The parks are fantastic if the weather's right, but can't ever say no to the theatre either :P
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 pm

I won't do the war museum again either. I find it too depressing.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:47 pm

nikohl wrote:Having hung out with some people who visited the UK from America before and wanted phones for local stuff at local rates: you can get a crappy little phone that does calls and texts for £5. It's pay-as-you-go, so you put credit on it and then you can text or call til that runs out. There's also then a completely throwaway number you can use if necessary.
Hmm. Good idea.

Thing is, I don't expect to have many phone calls. Not unless we're planning to coordinate by voice chat.

Let me see... my current phone will be $25 per 100 MB of data usage, 5 cents to receive a text, 50 cents to send. So I'm probably better off using that for texting than getting a prepaid phone. It's data that's the kicker.

How common is public wifi out there? My hotel includes wifi, but would cafes and pubs? And is there pay as you go data? I could look into that from here, but if you happen to know, it'd be easier.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:31 am

what, pray, is a 'footie' game? :paranoia:
(I'm hoping for foot ball/soccer, but I'm not sure if you want us to play - in a park - or to watch one, and also, I've learned the term 'playing footie' is what lovers do on a dinner date, when they try to caress each other with their respective foot under the table, while waiting for the food or whatever... :paranoia: :oops: )

Except for that (which I can only answer after I know what it is o:) ), I think I would be game for everything. Or anything. I like going to museums, theater, I enjoy the atmosphere of markets, I like curry (but I can't handle hot!), I would accompany you to the pubs (but not really drink, I'm not big on alcohols, most of them just don't taste appeasing to me), I love going to a park, and I could do with a spot of sightseeing, too.

I don't have anything I -need- to absolutely do, except: meeting you guys.

I am highly inclined to also: try and catch at least one show, try and meet THunt - if he actually comes to the CON - and try to have a good time. :thumbsup:

I think having phone numbers from other people would be highly beneficial in case one of us gets 'lost'. I mean yeah, we can - hopefully - all ask by-goers for directions and what not, but if we got the day planned out, it might be very useful to try and co-ordinate with the rest of the group where to meet up, after getting separated. Whether we do that by talking on the phone or just text messaging isn't as important.

Oh, I didn't check any of the boxes in the poll. I hope that's okay, because I wrote it down here more detailed, anyways.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:37 am

Lots of places have free WiFi now, Wears. You might have to request the code from staff and it might be limited to 30 mins or whatever, but there are usually plenty of places to stop and connect for a while.

Edit: Gathers, yes it's football. I think the restaurant table flirting thing is footsie.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks, nikohl.

And yes, footie is soccer/football and the under the table thing is footsie. I assumed, though, that the poll question was whether we would want to attend a professional game, not play one amongst ourselves in the park.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:45 am

Oh goodness.... I'd never suggest PLAYING football! That'd be a disaster as who knows who would randomly join in and kick our asses! I tend to stick with callling it footie these days, because I got used to it.

And footsie is the under-table game ;)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:24 am

lingrem wrote:Oh goodness.... I'd never suggest PLAYING football! That'd be a disaster as who knows who would randomly join in and kick our asses! I tend to stick with callling it footie these days, because I got used to it.

And footsie is the under-table game ;)
And footsie under the table means something completely diffrent to me...being the older male here... :oops:
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:27 pm

im down for evreything mostly the museums
that and eat fish and chips, hug evreyone of you oh and selfies and group pictures
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:17 am

Gotta get me a sweet, sweet Ask selfie :P

Now try saying that ten times fast :lol:

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:00 am

You folks have fun! Maybe if there's another one of these in the future I'll pop along. As things are for me this year, I'm out.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 am

so who is definitly going to go. cause our group gets smaller and smaller

1.askstoomuch

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:56 am

1.askstoomuch
2. The heroic everlasting inspirational shroom the second (theis2)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:17 am

Hey! How come you get to be #1? I want to be... Oh, never mind.

1. askstoomuch
2. theis2
3. WearsHats
4. Lingrem (who really should be 1, given that she's been the one organizing all this)

At least three others should be joining us for at least some portion of the time. There's still a chance Thunt could make it, though I can't say how much of a chance at this point. And at least one other who might yet make it if circumstances are right. It won't be a huge group, but it should be a good one.

► Show Spoiler

Loony
Mutters to Themself

Post by Loony » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:11 am

GathersIngredients wrote:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I'm new to the forum and everything, but since I just recently went on a road trip from Germany to the UK (Cornwall) with my wife & daughter, I can tell all folks from Europe that roaming costs for phone calls & sms are now really, really low.
From end of 2015, roaming costs will be banned altogether, but already now, what people pay abroad is often less than they pay at home! Sms, for example, never cost more than 6 cents + tax, so no more than around 9 cents/sms, and receiving is free. The maximum cost of outgoing phone calls is 19 cents/minute and 5 cents incoming. Data fees are capped at 20 cents/MB plus tax, which is still a lot, but the UK has a lot more free WiFi in restaurants etc. than we have in Germany.
More info about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_U ... egulations

Enjoy your invasion!

Cheers, and maybe I'll join you next time :)
Loony

EDIT: The new, much lower fees have only been in effect since July 1, 2014, so don't feel bad if you didn't know!

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:15 pm

1. Lingrem -Who has do a report 'the crazy people I meet on my summer vacation to her students
2. askstoomuch -
3. Thesis
4. Wearhats
7. Quarg - Huh? Is someone following us...it's just Quarg...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:40 pm

if you don't wear a black suit and black sunglasses I will be really disapointed

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:23 am

1. lingrem
2. askstoomuch
3. Theis2
4. Wearhats
5. GathersIngredients
7. Quarg
askstoomuch wrote:if you don't wear a black suit and black sunglasses I will be really disapointed
As in: "Please look into the light." *flash of memory erase*? 8)

Oh, and I forgot to write down my thoughts on the foot ball game: Not for me, thanks. I'm not really into that sport and paying money to sit in a stadium and not see as good as I would from the TV at home and also have my ears yelled off and beer and whatnot spilled onto me by the people around me doesn't sound very appealing to me. :shrug:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:03 am

1. lingrem
2. askstoomuch
3. Theis2
4. Wearhats
5. GathersIngredients
7. Quarg
8. Jib

I'm with Gathers on the football front tbh :P

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:48 am

askstoomuch wrote:if you don't wear a black suit and black sunglasses I will be really disapointed
Prepare to be disappointed cause I'm not in the secret service kid...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 am

saying that you are not in the secret service, is the first thing someone in the secret service would say