Currently Playing: Video Games

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
John
Converses Frequently

Currently Playing: Video Games

Post by John » Mon May 13, 2013 6:40 am

What are you guys currently playing and what do you recommend?

Personally last August I got rid of my Xbox as the point was to connect with friends online to play. They all had computers (and owned xboxes) but only bought games we could play together for the computer. So I traded my xbox out for a Wii to play more often with my wife.

Wife stopped playing, and I ran through every awesome Wii title quickly. Now I just got a PS3 to tide me over and picked up Dead Space 2 (1st one was awesome), Metal Gear Solid 4, and Defiance. I am only currently playing Dead Space and Defiance.

My main focus is Dead Space, as I am a story nut and if you take the time to read all the fun pick ups in the game, not only is it eerie, but really fun story. Reminds me of the Doom 3 where there are a lot of things that spook you, and most of them don't involve enemies! Turn off the lights and play at night for best effect. You get your shooter fix as well as a fun spooky trip!
Games:
► Show Spoiler

JustRight
Eleventy-one
UStream Username: Frank Erickson, M.D.

Re: Currently Playing: Video Games

Post by JustRight » Thu May 16, 2013 8:28 am

Skyrim has me captivated just now due to graphics, sounds, play quality and story - late to the game due to computer technical issues resolved by paying Microsoft tribute / extortion. Still has too much killing of innocents and rewards thievery (like all Elder Scrolls).

For better karma, try Journey on PS.

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Fri May 17, 2013 5:51 am

With all the Nintendo games and playing skyrim and fallout until my bread bled, I am in a strong shooter phase right now. All 3 of my games are 3rd person shooter with 1st person toggle. Though one is an MMO, one a horror, and one espionage- they really are just shooters. And my next venture would most likely be Borderlands 2....unless shooters bore me. I might branch over to assassins creed series of god of war, seems both have strong followings.
Games:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon May 27, 2013 10:50 pm

I've found nothing interesting in new games lately, so I've decided to look backward. Psychonauts and Neverwinter Nights are the names of the week for me. Psychonauts is the kind of thing that I can go and replay after a while, even though it's pretty linear, because there's always bits of dialogue and such that you miss.

As for NWN, It's really old, but it uses the D&D system, with a hell of a lot of variety in character creation.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue May 28, 2013 11:49 am

I tried out Dragon Age II a few days ago because it was on clearance for five bucks. What a waste of five bucks. Sucks too because I LOOOOOOOOOVED Origins. Ah well.

I'm currently playing through Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings because I bought it forever ago and have somehow never played it.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Tue May 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I enjoyed Dragon Age II.

I'm not playing any games currently, but I really like Neverwinter MMO and SWTOR MMO. Not that I'm big on playing with others, I prefer to solo.

I need my own XBox so I can replay Mass Effect series and Dragon Age series, although I now have Dragon Age: Origins on PC through Steam.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 am

Dragon Age was an amazing game. So many branching paths, opening up depending on your moral choices, having your army populated by different groups based on your actions, slaying massive dragons with your five-man/woman/dog army... Yes, I did love that game, and would heartily recommend it to anyone.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Fri May 31, 2013 7:33 am

I liked the first one, but to be honest it didn't pull me in as much as mass effect did. I don't consider myself a big sci fi fan in general, especially in comparison to fantasy, but it's a series that just binds me more than Dragon Age despite how gameplay should have a similar appeal.

I have now focused more on Defiance because I play dead space for a minimum of a couple hours at a time (and I don't usually get a couple hours solid to myself to play) so I hop on and play a couple quests. I really do enjoy it. Sure it's got it's bugs but they get fixed all the time. It's just fun to cruise around and blast baddies with a bunch of other online people. Questing is fun and not largely time intensive. Your game automatically saves so you can shutdown whenever with nothing lost. If you have time then pvp matchmaking and co op instances can be a lot of fun.
Games:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Catching up on games I've owned for years and never played has been rather the upshot of my last three months of unemployment. Currently it's Deus Ex. I agree with those who praise it; spy thrillers aren't my thing, but this is more like a philosophy course where you periodically shoot rockets at robots, and the replayability is off the charts.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:22 pm

My wife and son bought me The Last of Us for fathers day. I do love them so much
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:00 pm

BeanDip wrote:My wife and son bought me The Last of Us for fathers day. I do love them so much
I heard of this for the first time today, and for the second time from you just now.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:36 am

the Last of Us is AWESOME! Not perfect, but it's a very, VERY good game and the story is brilliant :)

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 am

The Last of Us is forever in my top 3 video games ever and is the top post-apocalyptic game. Just finished it. AMAZING. My favourite section was WINTER. I will say no more.

I think I'll replay Mass Effect 3 now to get into the sci-fi spirits.

John
Converses Frequently

Post by John » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:31 pm

I've traded in Metal Gear Solid 4 and Dead Space 2 for Borderlands 2 which is a lot of fun. It has some drawbacks as I don't play online a lot (because PS3 headsets are stupid pricey). When I do play I can't communicate what I'm looking for to upgrade so it's just a bunch of folks racing for every chest to hoard the good items. Very annoying and selfish.
Games:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Let's see, I recently finished Ratchet and Clank 1, then started on the third one. I lost interest for a little while and am playing Uncharted 2. Great game so far.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:23 am

Have you played Ratchet and Clank 2? It was the first one I played in the series, and it's probably still my favourite of them all. I was really happy when I found I could get HD versions of all three of the first ones on my PS3 for about £30 :D

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:41 am

I bought the hd three-pack as well, but I had beaten two only a few months earlier so I didn't want to play it again so soon. It is a great game.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Aye, Ratchet and Clank was a good series. Though after Gladiator I completely lost interest, and that only barely held on.
My game:

My characters:

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Yeah, that was bad. I have heard good things about the Future series for PS3 though.

If you guys like Ratchet and Clank, then Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper are both good games.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Ah, Jak and daxter... The moment where the precursors revealed themselves is still without a doubt the best moment in videogaming history. :roll:

Ratchet and Clank was a good series and continued to be so for a long time. It's such a shame though that eventually it just becomes a brand they try to get money out of, and it starts to lose it's appeal. Most of them are great fun though- But admittedly, I haven't played any of the latest ones. Jak and daxter I played II and III- Never got my hands on the first one, but the second and third were very enjoyable.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I enjoyed the first one. They changed the formula a lot from the first one, no guns and very few vehicles, but it's still cool.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 pm

I liked the first jak and daxter more than the sequels. Kinda lost the charm after that, but that might just be me. I'm currently playing the enhanced baldur's gate 1 when I don't know what to use my time on.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:29 pm

The first one definitely has charm that the later games loose, but that's part of the story. I like them both, but that's my opinion. I can definitely see how you might not like them.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:57 am

Ratchet & Clank: The original trilogy was definitely the best, in my opinion. Gladiator I thought was alright, once you got used to the new controls (strafing and aiming in particular) and lack of Clank backpack. Very different from the trilogy, though.
For the Future series, I'll admit that I was a little put off by the graphics changes at first, but they keep most of the good stuff from the original trilogy, while adding enough cool new stuff to not be exact copies, which is very good. The ship flying stuff in A Crack in Time was especially fun, I found. So if you haven't played them yet, I definitely suggest it. Keep in mind, though, that it's not really a trilogy - Quest for Booty is more of a half-game, and you really don't miss anything by not playing it.
As for the last two, All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault, I'm really not too interested. Group play and tower defense aren't what makes the games fun for me.

Jak & Dexter: I think I played a few demos when I was younger, but I never really got into them too much. Not enough to buy the full game, anyway. Same for Sly Cooper, I think, though I honestly can't remember too well.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 am

A friend and I have just started playing neverwinter, taking advantage of the holidays. I've tried the rogue and cleric thusfar, and I have to say, the cleric isn't very cool. Not that it isn't effective, I can make it work just fine. HP fountains for erriebawdy, but I just don't think throwing glowing orbs and darts is as cool as throwing knives, rolling around and shadowstepping to stab someone in the face (A useful technique for a halfling).

Though in the cleric's favour, I just unlocked Healing Word, and it's a little entertaining to yell at someone to stop being hurt and have it be so... Oh, and calling an angel to stomp on a target is a neat daily, if not as cool as the rogue's teleporting about and stabbing the poor fool you target several times.
My game:

My characters: